It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
formerlyknownas wrote:
So in our bullpen we have Jennings and . . .

Big Bad Chris Beck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

Big Bad Chris Beck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:50 am 

doesn't it seem like they have 10 Cordell types throughout the minor leagues?

The national media seems to think it was a good trade. They indicate that there is a glut of good relievers on the market.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:

The national media seems to think it was a good trade. They indicate that there is a glut of good relievers on the market.

I don't think there's any reason to be excited about this trade. From the 10 minutes of research I just did he seems like a bum. I would've just as soon held on to Swarzak

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Terry's Peeps wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

Big Bad Chris Beck.

I thought he looked good yesterday. What's the story on him?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Peoria Matt wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

Big Bad Chris Beck.

I thought he looked good yesterday. What's the story on him?

Good guy.

Retaliates appropriately.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:03 am 

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I don't think there's any reason to be excited about this trade. From the 10 minutes of research I just did he seems like a bum. I would've just as soon held on to Swarzak

to what end?

Literally, any player who projects as an MLB level player, even a 25th man, who will cost you the league minimum for 3 years is a positive over keeping Swarzak. You got something for nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:04 am 

good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

to what end?

Literally, any player who projects as an MLB level player, even a 25th man, who will cost you the league minimum for 3 years is a positive over keeping Swarzak. You got something for nothing.

I look at it the other way. You gave up something for nothing.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

to what end?

I don't know anything about Cordell, but Swarzak is a big league reliever and you do still have to field a team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't know anything about Cordell, but Swarzak is a big league reliever and you do still have to field a team.

The White Sox are challenging that assertion

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:16 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The White Sox are challenging that assertion

I know. And it's a slap in the face of fans who have already paid for tickets.

And, look, I'm not against the rebuild. They had what should have been strong pitching, tried to build around it for several sessons, and came up empty. I have mixed feelings about moving Sale. It's done now. Fine. But you have to give fans a reason to come to the park. If they're gonna get pasted everyday, let's get the young guys who are close up here. At least that's something to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:29 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

to what end?

In name only.

There is not a single outcome of any relevance the rest of the year, beyond the sentimental value of these Sox-Cub games. The only value of even playing these games is to develop future MLB players.

Swarzak becomes a pumpkin on August 1. If Cordell can play in MLB for three years, you just created an asset out of nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:32 am 

good dolphin wrote:
In name only.

There is not a single outcome of any relevance the rest of the year, beyond the sentimental value of these Sox-Cub games. The only value of even playing these games is to develop future MLB players.

Swarzak becomes a pumpkin on August 1. If Cordell can play in MLB for three years, you just created an asset out of nothing.

That's a big if. You gave up a quality MLB reliever for a guy you hope can become a fringe MLB player. Bad move.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 am 

Good trade. Relievers for the most part are not long term assets. When their price rises, you gotta sell

Cordell looks like he might be decent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:39 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

to what end?

In name only.

That's a front office perspective. I'm coming from the fan's perspective. If you want people to come and pay for tickets and buy concessions, you have to give them something to watch. I'm not celebrating a White Sox loss because it got Hahn a half game closer to being able to make the first pick in the draft. If I go to a game and they win I feel better than I would if they lost. And if they win on Saturday I'm more likely to come back on Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
With this relief crew, they may not win 60 games. I hope they made the right trades, because this is gonna get even uglier. Hard to want to go
to the park.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's a front office perspective. I'm coming from the fan's perspective. If you want people to come and pay for tickets and buy concessions, you have to give them something to watch. I'm not celebrating a White Sox loss because it got Hahn a half game closer to being able to make the first pick in the draft. If I go to a game and they win I feel better than I would if they lost. And if they win on Saturday I'm more likely to come back on Sunday.

I am more likely to go to more games with some type of plan. If they win, it is a plus. If they lose, at least I enjoyed some churros.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I am more likely to go to more games with some type of plan. If they win, it is a plus. If they lose, at least I enjoyed some churros.

That's not uncommon among Sox fans. Many feel as if "a plan" is important. As if every team doesn't have a plan at all times. That any pitcher they currently have will ever be as good as Sale is a longshot. Now, teams win without Chris Sale every season. But I think it's pretty silly to authoritatively state that "the Sox are closer to a championship than they were last season."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:21 am 

I had planned to get to 3-4 more games this season, but that's on hold if a couple more kids aren't brought up. Between a questionable product and a horrid home broadcasting team, this is tough sledding though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[That's a front office perspective. I'm coming from the fan's perspective. If you want people to come and pay for tickets and buy concessions, you have to give them something to watch. I'm not celebrating a White Sox loss because it got Hahn a half game closer to being able to make the first pick in the draft. If I go to a game and they win I feel better than I would if they lost. And if they win on Saturday I'm more likely to come back on Sunday.

From the fans perspective: They told you to not pay attention, so stop paying attention. If a hotel tells you its undergoing renovation but you book anyway, don't complain about the dust.

Sorry you already paid for your tickets but you don't have to pay them more when a team is better than anticipated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:35 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
I had planned to get to 3-4 more games this season, but that's on hold if a couple more kids aren't brought up. Between a questionable product and a horrid home broadcasting team, this is tough sledding though.

Yep.

Better to go to Milwaukee for a game right now.

If I were the Sox, I'd be offering DEEP discounts on tickets from now until schools start in recognition that they are not putting out an MLB product. I'd practically give tickets away in September just to keep the vendors employed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:42 am 

Regular Reader wrote:

Yeah, it's gonna be difficult . . . and confusing. We'll see more than a few players who never resurface again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:43 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[That's a front office perspective. I'm coming from the fan's perspective. If you want people to come and pay for tickets and buy concessions, you have to give them something to watch. I'm not celebrating a White Sox loss because it got Hahn a half game closer to being able to make the first pick in the draft. If I go to a game and they win I feel better than I would if they lost. And if they win on Saturday I'm more likely to come back on Sunday.

From the fans perspective: They told you to not pay attention, so stop paying attention. If a hotel tells you its undergoing renovation but you book anyway, don't complain about the dust.

Sorry you already paid for your tickets but you don't have to pay them more when a team is better than anticipated.

It's not quite the same thing. Hotels don't have the same type of emotional attachment to sell as a baseball team. The hotel customer can simply go to a different hotel. The baseball fan isn't likely to switch allegiances. The team can abuse the fans as much as it wants, but I don't want to hear Kenny or Coop or Reinsdorf whining about attendance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:44 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Deep discounts? Outside of the two Cubs games, you can get a ticket to any remaining game for $7. On Sundays, you get get upper deck tix for $5, lower deck for $10. I've gone to 4 games this year, and for three of them I had an el cheapo $7 ticket, and was basically able to sit anywhere I wanted except for right behind the dugout and Scout seats. If you don't want to hop around, with a bit of searching online its pretty easy to find outfield/bleacher tickets to almost any game for less than $20 a pop.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Nobody goes to Guaranteed Rate Field to watch Anthony Swarzak.
Nobody goes to Dodger Stadium to watch Pedro Baez.
Nobody goes to Wrigley Field to watch Hector Rondon.

Start the clock on a Zach Burdi or an Aaron Bummer and move on with life.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Deep discounts? Outside of the two Cubs games, you can get a ticket to any remaining game for $7. On Sundays, you get get upper deck tix for $5, lower deck for $10. I've gone to 4 games this year, and for three of them I had an el cheapo $7 ticket, and was basically able to sit anywhere I wanted except for right behind the dugout and Scout seats. If you don't want to hop around, with a bit of searching online its pretty easy to find outfield/bleacher tickets to almost any game for less than $20 a pop.

OK but that will not solve the Sox selling tickets. That is the secondary market indicating the current value.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 am 

Burdi is down with TJ surgery. Bummer has a chance to be pretty good but needs a little more time in the minors. They could call up Lopez, Fulmer or Danish and drop them in the bullpen right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
You can walk up to the box office on game day and get an upper deck seat for $7 ($5) on Sunday.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

True. But when you replace every legit big leaguer- even the marginal guys- with AAAA players, there's really nothing to watch. Better add more Dog Days!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

True. But when you replace every legit big leaguer- even the marginal guys- with AAAA players, there's really nothing to watch. Better add more Dog Days!

Nothing to watch if you know the team has no shot at winning. Right now, the Sox have one guy in the pen who can get guys out.

I knew the rebuild would be ugly, but we need a fucking team. Not sure how the Brewers #17 prospect is gonna help with that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next