It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
We've got a thread calling for Dave Wills already. Yesterday, Mac said the 2 guys he hoped got a shot were McDoink (hell no) and Carmen DeFalco (sure, why not?)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
KDdidit wrote:
We've got a thread calling for Dave Wills already. Yesterday, Mac said the 2 guys he hoped got a shot were McDoink (hell no) and Carmen DeFalco (sure, why not?)

Mac's choices are horrible.

Wills (My choice, along with his radio partner Andy Freed- oh shit I sound like SHARK) is probably under contract. Let Mazur do it, and ask Benetti to do it when they are on ESPN or Fox.

ETA - the long term choice depends on how long Stone wants to go on the TV side.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
KDdidit wrote:

Cubbie Mac has horrible choices.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:39 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Have Benetti and Stone call the games for radio and simulcast it. Use Darrin Jackson as a fill-in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I liked McKnight as the pre and post guy and I wouldn't mind seeing him return in that role, but three hours a night of McKnight multiplied by six nights a week, is entirely too much. The fact that no one has been named yet, leads me to the conclusion that it's going to be Mazur, at least for this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:27 am 

Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
DeFalco might be not too bad.

I would listen to a game JOrr calls.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
For PBP, there's actually nothing wrong with DeFalco or McDoink. Radio voices and articulation....both are competent. They both in terms of entertainment value are incredibly bland, but that's ok. Pat Hughes and John Rooney are great examples of people that aren't particularly interesting but call a good game.

Dave Wills is still the best option....you'd get a good radio voice place a bit of character. That's pretty tough to come by in this day and age.

I will always be more concerned with the color analyst selection than PBP.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I used to listen to Detroit radio just to hear Ernie Harwell. a great PBP man makes a huge difference. Harry Caray back in the 70s with the Sox must be the last time this city has really had one. Hughes is fine but not great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:13 am 

BigW72 wrote:
For PBP, there's actually nothing wrong with DeFalco or McDoink. Radio voices and articulation....both are competent. They both in terms of entertainment value are incredibly bland, but that's ok. Pat Hughes and John Rooney are great examples of people that aren't particularly interesting but call a good game.

Dave Wills is still the best option....you'd get a good radio voice place a bit of character. That's pretty tough to come by in this day and age.

I will always be more concerned with the color analyst selection than PBP.

Technically bad PBP is a killer for a radio broadcast. Listen to a AA game someday if they ever come back. Or better yet, when they play the winter league in Australia.

McKnight would make a perfectly serviceable PA announcer, or somebody in the Grote/Zaidman role that the Cubs broadcasts have so that Pat can go take a shit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
McKnight would make a perfectly serviceable PA announcer, or somebody in the Grote/Zaidman role that the Cubs broadcasts have so that Pat can go take a shit.

Please don't put Zaidman in the same realm of Grote....they may have had the same jobs, but I don't want Zaidman or anyone like him anywhere near my White Sox broadcasts. If anything, Grote is a guy that doesn't have the most radio vocal tones, but is a good host in a variety of roles. Zaidman has been a fucking turd in every role he's held.

Hatchetman wrote:
I used to listen to Detroit radio just to hear Ernie Harwell. a great PBP man makes a huge difference. Harry Caray back in the 70s with the Sox must be the last time this city has really had one. Hughes is fine but not great.

Agreed, but you just proved me point....those guys no longer exist.

PBP does matter....I want Dave Wills....I just think it's a pipe dream.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:19 am 
100000 CLUB

When I was driving around delivering pizza last spring/summer, I listened to quite a few games that Andy Masur called. He was fine. Not great, but fine for a short season. Let him do the PBP this year, and get a big name or better guy for next season.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Hatchetman wrote:

Harwell was fantastic, Milo was too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Wills and Masur are the two best choices.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:04 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Please don't put Zaidman in the same realm of Grote....they may have had the same jobs, but I don't want Zaidman or anyone like him anywhere near my White Sox broadcasts. If anything, Grote is a guy that doesn't have the most radio vocal tones, but is a good host in a variety of roles. Zaidman has been a fucking turd in every role he's held.

Yeah, Zaidman is PTFB. As is Miska cackling in the background at Pat's lame jokes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:07 am 

These are all terrible suggestions. It's the Sox, so it's going to be someone like Konerko, Ozzie, or AJ.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:08 am 

Douchebag wrote:
These are all terrible suggestions. It's the Sox, so it's going to be someone like Konerko, Ozzie, or AJ.

For play by play??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:08 am 
100000 CLUB

If Ozzie gets to drink and cuss during the games that would be appointment radio!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:10 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

For play by play??

I forgot to add Robin Ventura.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
darrin will be new PBP with someone even worse than darrin doing the color.... it's how things work in jerry land

way back....! uh oh!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
shoomouse would be great. if the game goes extras he'll whine and maybe just leave the booth... evey time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:24 am 

billypootons wrote:
darrin will be new PBP with someone even worse than darrin doing the color.... it's how things work in jerry land

Yep, odds are this is probably what happens. Let's close this thread up now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:27 pm 

Wills is the guy I want as well.

The Sox have really made some bad announcer decisions in the past. Benetti has turned into a great choice and hopefully he is giving them positive momentum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:

The Sox have really made some bad announcer decisions in the past. Benetti has turned into a great choice and hopefully he is giving them positive momentum

I think Benetti is fine, with one major caveat, he is so damn smug. There are times when Stone and him really get going and it feels like its a smugness competition. He's not as smug when I hear him call other sporting events, so I know he has a non-smugness gear, I just wish he would shift into it a little more often during baseball games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

Warren Newson wrote:
I think Benetti is fine, with one major caveat, he is so damn smug. There are times when Stone and him really get going and it feels like its a smugness competition. He's not as smug when I hear him call other sporting events, so I know he has a non-smugness gear, I just wish he would shift into it a little more often during baseball games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:03 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:

Hughes is definitely great. This is just White Sox bias showing.

Maybe the Sox should do like the old-fashioned TV/radio rotation like the Yankees used to do. I don't think Stone is good at play-by-play, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
How about Chip Caray and Joe Carter?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

How about you jump out of a radio PBP booth?

Pat Hughes is fine, not great. John Rooney was better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:26 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Hughes is definitely great. This is just White Sox bias showing.

Maybe the Sox should do like the old-fashioned TV/radio rotation like the Yankees used to do. I don't think Stone is good at play-by-play, though.

Hughes has slipped since 2016 and since getting sick with throat problems a couple of years ago. He is starting to miss things, and is getting cornball too often. He was at his best when Santo was sick and Stone filled in during the 2003 playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:32 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I couldn't stand Benetti for just this reason when he started, But I have grown to like him. Esapecially on ESPN.