It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Keyser Soze wrote:
Soria makes $10M. Sheesh

Ten mil? He sounds like he's had a fine career so far. Not quite ten mil a year, though. Christ.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Sox got 4 mil in cash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Great trade today

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
FavreFan wrote:
Great trade today

Do you think it was fair to the players? There are no trade clauses bargained for but all young players do not get them. Where was their say in where they play?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Great trade today

Do you think it was fair to the players? There are no trade clauses bargained for but all young players do not get them. Where was their say in where they play?

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Soria has experience closing. Give him 3 outings a week and pick the spots carefully, then flip him on August 31 to a team wanting September bullpen depth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:43 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The Sox really needed a lefty like Avilan in the pen (they also need a lefty like Avilan in the rotation, but there's still time), so that part of it I love

I really like Soria too, but not as a closer. This is where the Burdi injury starts to really sting.

Dont mind losing Peter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
America wrote:
The Sox really needed a lefty like Avilan in the pen (they also need a lefty like Avilan in the rotation, but there's still time), so that part of it I love

I really like Soria too, but not as a closer. This is where the Burdi injury starts to really sting.

Dont mind losing Peter.

Burdi had Tommy John(I think). How long he is out for, All-Star Break?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:34 am 

If he's back for the All Star break I'll be legitimately shocked. I don't think we see him again until 2019.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:04 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
America wrote:

Dont mind losing Peter.

How can you bet against a guy called the mexicutioner? For shame!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:22 am 

So they've strengthened the pen to the point where you can now see them making do with what they have. These two arms probably represent 100 quality relief innings for the Sox, and I think they'll find something in Farquar/Bummer/Minaya that they can use. I am not counting on Nate Jones at all, so perhaps another arm or two would be nice. They can keep waiting though, see if someone gets desperate.

They really need a LHP to replace Rodon. He doesn't have to be as good as Rodon but he does need to be OK. Lance Lynn would be perfect. A stopgap 3b wouldn't be a bad idea either, I'd seriously consider bringing Frazier back on a 1 or 2 year deal. Even better would be to go for Moustakas if the price is right.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hatchetman wrote:
Two decent relievers for nothing? Great deal. They can flip them later.
This. Two fairly solid bullpen arms, one of which has closing experience. This was sorely needed.

If/When the price is right, they can be flipped for something perhaps even more valuable. If not, the Sox have a couple of good pieces in their bullpen. With young arms starting hopefully MANY games for the 2018 Sox, it would be nice for them to leave in the 6th & 7th innings knowing that if they have a lead there is a good chance of it staying intact.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:32 am 

America wrote:
So they've strengthened the pen to the point where you can now see them making do with what they have. These two arms probably represent 100 quality relief innings for the Sox, and I think they'll find something in Farquar/Bummer/Minaya that they can use. I am not counting on Nate Jones at all, so perhaps another arm or two would be nice. They can keep waiting though, see if someone gets desperate.

They really need a LHP to replace Rodon. He doesn't have to be as good as Rodon but he does need to be OK. Lance Lynn would be perfect. A stopgap 3b wouldn't be a bad idea either, I'd seriously consider bringing Frazier back on a 1 or 2 year deal. Even better would be to go for Moustakas if the price is right.

Jason Vargas seems like a very good fit for the Sox yet I have heard nothing about him in FA. Veteran lefty starter coming off a respectably productive season who took the ball 32 times. He'll be 35 in February so he probably can't expect better than a one year with an option at around 10 million.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:36 am 

America wrote:

Fulmer, Danish, Goldberg and Jordan Stephens are guys who will be bullpen options too. They definitely have a quantity of bullpen arms.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:44 am 
100000 CLUB

Before this trade, not many of those arms were quality.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:20 am 

Those with greater knowledge of the particulars help me on this because this looks like an absolute no brainer trade for the Sox, a little less for the Dodgers, and a tank level talent drop for the Royals.

Sure the Royals dropped salary of an infuriatingly inconsistent reliever but they also gave up a very good arm in the pen. Maybe they couldn't lose Soria without adding him but I would have rather gambled on a Soria bounce back and trade at mid season.

The Dodgers swapped a good specialized reliever for a good general practitioner.

The Sox gave up nothing but an extreme lottery ticket and minor salary relief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:33 pm 

Alexander is a clear upgrade from Avilan for the Dodgers and Peter is not a lottery ticket. He’s a more known commodity than that as he finished last season in triple A. He’s a left handed hitter capable of playing multiple positions including the middle infield. He’s a valuable player in the current environment of short benches.

Kansas City’s role is a bit difficult to figure unless they plan on using the money saved from Soria to help resign one of Hosmer, Moose or Cain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:56 pm 

America wrote:

A LHP who is OK would be as good as Rodon. If you want a LHP why would Lance Lynn, who throws right handed, be perfect?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

Quote:
Ken Rosenthal
‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal
2m2 minutes ago

Free-agent RHP Miguel Gonzalez is in agreement with the #WhiteSox on a one-year contract, sources tell The Athletic. Gonzalez had a 4.02 ERA in 268 2/3 innings with the White Sox in 2016-17.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Time to rename the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

Why? If the Sox are good, Gonzalez can help. If they are bad, it likely will have little to do with him.

Try not to suck, BC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

$4.75 million for Gonzalez

Jacob May DFA'd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 pm 

I thought he was a good professional and back end starter the past few years. Logical move. It covers them for when we eventually hear Rodon is not available for the start of the season

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
good dolphin wrote:
I thought he was a good professional and back end starter the past few years. Logical move. It covers them for when we eventually hear Rodon is not available for the start of the season

:lol: Yep that is exactly whats going to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Signed Gonzalez to a 1 year deal..I wanted the cubs to get him..guy has great stuff, I would have signed him to a 3 year deal if I was Hahn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 am 

312player wrote:
Signed Gonzalez to a 1 year deal..I wanted the cubs to get him..guy has great stuff, I would have signed him to a 3 year deal if I was Hahn.

The Sox are going to be in a position soon where there are not enough innings in the season to get a look at everyone they want to see at the ML level.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am 

America wrote:
312player wrote:

The Sox are going to be in a position soon where there are not enough innings in the season to get a look at everyone they want to see at the ML level.

Soon could be by the halfway point of this year but certainly no later than early 2019. Shields and Gonzalez are on one year contracts. After that, I think its nothing but home grown guys for the next six years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:28 am 

So Giolito, Kopech and Rey Lopez are going to get pretty much all season to prove themselves this year. I am not counting on anything from Rodon ever again, but the Sox will have him in the rotation whenever (if ever) he is healthy again, so there's another. Fulmer is intriguing now with his late season surge. Then there is Dunning and Hansen who will be beating down the door soon.

For competing this year signing a decent starter is a good idea, but after this season it wont (shouldn't) be necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:37 am 

312player wrote:

You must be thinking of a different Gonzalez. This one is as vanilla as it gets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 am 
100000 CLUB

Vanilla can get outs you know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next