It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leash and rpb,
Do you guys hate the White Sox?

I don't hate the Sox. I enjoy the occasional back and forth with fans but as others have said, hating the Cubs is a Sox fan badge of honor. "I have two favorite teams, the Sox and whoever is playing the Cubs" I hear that shit all the time and it mostly only goes one way. I'd put it at 80/20.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:53 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leash and rpb,

Nope

Do I hate the Cubs?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leash and rpb,

Nope

Do I hate the Cubs?

What kind of question is that? I have no idea what's in your heart other than an affinity for pedantry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:07 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
The only way I could see it being close to as ludicrous as rpb suggests is taking into account that the actual Sox fan base has shrunk so considerably. 25 years ago it was virtually even since very fine people on BOTH SIDES embraced the rivalry and reveled in the failure of the other team.

Now nearly every kid who likes baseball is a Cubs fan so there isn't a rivalry.

Never

The whole idea is Cubs get all this press and Sox are the forgotten team. This has been perpetuated by every Sox fan ever.

There aren't Cub bars giving out free drinks for decades for every HR against the Sox.

There isn't a North Side Irish song that specifically points out hatred of the other team.

The Cubs never made the Sox the subject of advertising campaigns

It is what it is. I don't get even wanting to deny it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:10 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leash and rpb,

The first time I ever rooted against the Sox was Two Thousand Five ALCS.

That was just jealousy and wanting my team to win a WS first.

I did not root against them in 92, 93, or 00. It wouldn't have even occurred to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Ive rooted against the Sox since i was 12 or so, before that i was a cub fan who pulled for the Sox to succeed. Im almost at the point where i will pull for the Sox again when Hawk dies or retires, Reinsdorph dies and Jimenez, Kopech, Lopez and Giolito round into form.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Thank you 312 for showing rpb the error of his ways.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
"I might root for the Sox once their legendary broadcaster and owner die, and the team has good players!"

Yeah, Cubs fans don't hate the Sox.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:23 pm 

I'm sure no one gives a shit, but growing up in Central Illinois, the White Sox were just some team that played in Chicago and whose play-by-play guy was obnoxious. I probably only knew two Sox fans in my youth. People were either Cub fans or Cardinal fans, and the Cardinals won that rivalry all day, every day. The Cubs were the butt of the jokes. Still, there was no hatred.

When I went to college and was around Chicago-area peeps, I learned a little about the Cubs-Sox rivalry, but still not entirely because it was college so I was still only around Cub fans.

When I eventually moved to the Chicago area, I truly learned about the Cubs-Sox rivalry. I was surprised by the level of hatred Sox fans had toward the Cubs... and that was when the Cubs were still bad. It has only amplified since then and the Cubs have become great. There was never that level of hatred by the Cards against the Cubs, but maybe that's because the Cards were perennially competitive.

It was shocking to me how much Sox fans hated the Cubs, and it still surprises me to this day, though not as much. Maybe it's because I'm just a Wrigleyville yuppie who doesn't even care about the play on the field.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:56 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leash and rpb,

Nope

Do I hate the Cubs?

What kind of question is that? I have no idea what's in your heart other than an affinity for pedantry.

Isn't the whole discussion you judging Sox fans thoughts on the Cubs?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
leashyourkids wrote:
I'm sure no one gives a shit, but growing up in Central Illinois, the White Sox were just some team that played in Chicago and whose play-by-play guy was obnoxious. I probably only knew two Sox fans in my youth. People were either Cub fans or Cardinal fans, and the Cardinals won that rivalry all day, every day. The Cubs were the butt of the jokes. Still, there was no hatred.

When I went to college and was around Chicago-area peeps, I learned a little about the Cubs-Sox rivalry, but still not entirely because it was college so I was still only around Cub fans.

When I eventually moved to the Chicago area, I truly learned about the Cubs-Sox rivalry. I was surprised by the level of hatred Sox fans had toward the Cubs... and that was when the Cubs were still bad. It has only amplified since then and the Cubs have become great. There was never that level of hatred by the Cards against the Cubs, but maybe that's because the Cards were perennially competitive.

It was shocking to me how much Sox fans hated the Cubs, and it still surprises me to this day, though not as much. Maybe it's because I'm just a Wrigleyville yuppie who doesn't even care about the play on the field.

TL/DNR

Thanks sini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leash and rpb,

Nope

Do I hate the Cubs?

Isn't the whole discussion you judging Sox fans thoughts on the Cubs?

The discussion is around who trolls more and, maybe to a small extent, which fan base appears to have more vitriol, but I couldn't tell you if you truly hate the Cubs. Only you would know that.

If you disparaged a bunch of black guys, I wouldn't call you a racist, because I don't know what's in your heart or what your motivations are... and I find baseball allegiances to be much more important than race relations.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:05 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

TL/DNR

Thanks sini

That's fair. I was on the phone and bored.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
For as long as I can remember Cubs fans have taken great pride in the fact that there are a lot of Cubs fans.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It is kind of amusing about the whole "Cubs fans don't care about the Sox" thing to have this thread during the all important NLCS.

White sox fans care way more and its not close. Anyone who denies this is either lying or incredibly dense.

This. If you think the "trolling" (using that term loosely) between the two is equivalent, you just can't see anything beyond your own perspective. Sox fans have been waiting for last night for months, and the Cubs aren't even eliminated yet. It is mind-boggling to me that anyone can think it's even.

No this is wrong and you know it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:30 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It is kind of amusing about the whole "Cubs fans don't care about the Sox" thing to have this thread during the all important NLCS.

White sox fans care way more and its not close. Anyone who denies this is either lying or incredibly dense.

This. If you think the "trolling" (using that term loosely) between the two is equivalent, you just can't see anything beyond your own perspective. Sox fans have been waiting for last night for months, and the Cubs aren't even eliminated yet. It is mind-boggling to me that anyone can think it's even.

It depends how you measure it. There are a few Sox posters that go way overboard on it(though guys like Bob are closing that gap too). In terms of posters who troll the Sox I think the numbers are probably higher for the Cubs fans than the Sox. We can have a draft!

As I've said in the past, on this board its way closer than the general fanbases.

Of course you're gonna get lunatics in a place like this.

You're just wrong on this. You have nothing on your side other than "I grew up with some guys that didn't like the Cubs." This board IS a pretty good microcosm of sports fans in general, and it's pretty damn even in terms of Cub or Sox fans who post about the other team or it's fans.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:31 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
As I've said in the past, on this board its way closer than the general fanbases.

Convenient.

I'm sure I'm high on the troll list on here and I was rooting for the Cubs last year too.

No, it's not convenient, it's the truth.

You and Frank are like the only people I've ever heard argue this. Most Sox fans wear the Cubs hate as a badge of honor.

I'm not sure you guys are actual Sox fans.
Sox fans do own it more. Cubs fans try and act like they don't. That's the difference.

Even the "normal Cubs fans" on here have a good amount of "Sox suck" posts.

And why do you think they occasionally comment on the Sox?

LOL. You really gonna go with the "he started it!" defense? That's great.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:34 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leash and rpb,

I don't hate the Sox. I enjoy the occasional back and forth with fans but as others have said, hating the Cubs is a Sox fan badge of honor. "I have two favorite teams, the Sox and whoever is playing the Cubs" I hear that shit all the time and it mostly only goes one way. I'd put it at 80/20.

You literally have never heard that statement in your life.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:52 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leash and rpb,

It's in the south side Irish song!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It depends how you measure it. There are a few Sox posters that go way overboard on it(though guys like Bob are closing that gap too). In terms of posters who troll the Sox I think the numbers are probably higher for the Cubs fans than the Sox. We can have a draft!

You're just wrong on this. You have nothing on your side other than "I grew up with some guys that didn't like the Cubs." This board IS a pretty good microcosm of sports fans in general, and it's pretty damn even in terms of Cub or Sox fans who post about the other team or it's fans.

I've lived all over Chicago on Both sides, it's not a few people I grew up with.

And this board is absolutely not a microcosm of sports fans. It's 90% the extreme fanatics here.

No one outside this board even argues this. It's common knowledge for crying out loud, ask Ogilvee!

Frank has admitted it in THIS thread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:56 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leash and rpb,

It's in the south side Irish song!

That song is terrible

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I've lived all over Chicago on Both sides, it's not a few people I grew up with.

And this board is absolutely not a microcosm of sports fans. It's 90% the extreme fanatics here.

No one outside this board even argues this. It's common knowledge for crying out loud, ask Ogilvee!

Frank has admitted it in THIS thread

Frank admitted he doesn't like the Cubs. For every frank there is a Caller Bob or Elmhurst Steve or RPB. It's pretty equal from what I've found, and this board is just more evidence.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:02 pm 

RPB, we forgot... there's a third whack job who argues this. I can't believe I forgot FF.

So, to be clear, the majority of the Subdivision is still in touch with reality (even if enraged by Cubbie success), and Frank (who even admitted it's not even), Rick (who would argue in favor of Jay Cutler if Theo disliked him), and FF (who occasionally shows signs of lucidity but usually reverts to nonsense) are still arguing one of the most ridiculous viewpoints ever concocted.

Just making sure we are keeping score. Queue the bounce emoticons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:02 pm 

Maybe rpb is just hateable and thinks it is his Cubbie fandom?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:04 pm 

@FF - Frank admitted that Sox fans troll more than Cub fans. Congratulations. Frank Coztansa is less biased than you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:05 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
RPB, we forgot... there's a third whack job who argues this. I can't believe I forgot FF.

So, to be clear, the majority of the Subdivision is still in touch with reality (even if enraged by Cubbie success), and Frank (who even admitted it's not even), Rick (who would argue in favor of Jay Cutler if Theo disliked him), and FF (who occasionally shows signs of lucidity but usually reverts to nonsense) are still arguing one of the most ridiculous viewpoints ever concocted.

This is one of my favorite arguments because it shows just how irrational you and RPB can get. You guys have nothing but anecdotal evidence to support your argument. I have the same in support of mine. And in the one sports minded community we all belong to, even you guys admit it's roughly even, but then you just fall back on the "yeah but it's all the ones not on this board who I'm talking about".

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:06 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

This is one of my favorite arguments because it shows just how irrational you and RPB can get. You guys have nothing but anecdotal evidence to support your argument. I have the same in support of mine. And in the one sports minded community we all belong to, even you guys admit it's roughly even, but then you just fall back on the "yeah but it's all the ones not on this board who I'm talking about".

What? I have never admitted the former or said the latter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:08 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

Your proof is what I've said about Theo?

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
There are 8 or 9 times as many Cub fans as Sox fans so it's difficult to compare fan bases.

leashyourkids wrote:
@FF - Frank admitted that Sox fans troll more than Cub fans. Congratulations. Frank Coztansa is less biased than you.

He's less biased than you are too. He already mentioned the primary difference between the fanbases is denial. You and RPB are prime examples. Be like Frank and just own your Sox hatred.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next