It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Rick gets hysterical anytime anyone makes the slightest critique of the Sox; meanwhile, his fellow Sox fans are busy creating threads to outright mock the Cubs
I'm just giving examples.

As for this board, I was told it isn't representative of the two fan bases.

As I said, rpb could just say that it was poor word choice to use a phrase that literally means "get lucky".

Isn't every FA signing a gamble? You have to get lucky on some of them. In 2005, every single move that Kenny made worked out. If that was all skill why hasn't he replicated it? He made smart informed decisions and they ALL worked. That very rarely happens and it resulted in a pretty special team. He didn't just roll out of bed and get lucky but no one hits on 100% of their player personnel moves like he did that season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:01 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Rick gets hysterical anytime anyone makes the slightest critique of the Sox; meanwhile, his fellow Sox fans are busy creating threads to outright mock the Cubs

As I said, rpb could just say that it was poor word choice to use a phrase that literally means "get lucky".

Isn't every FA signing a gamble? You have to get lucky on some of them. In 2005, every single move that Kenny made worked out. If that was all skill why hasn't he replicated it? He made smart informed decisions and they ALL worked. That very rarely happens and it resulted in a pretty special team. He didn't just roll out of bed and get lucky but no one hits on 100% of their player personnel moves like he did that season.

He knows this deep down. Most of the other Sox fans would admit it. He takes that as you saying Kenny sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Regular Reader wrote:
IMU wrote:
Yeah, all White Sox fans I know brazenly shit on the Cubs in whatever way possible at that moment, and are proud of it. My mom's boyfriend grew up in Bridgeport just off of Halsted... he has 'joked' about his two favorite teams being the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs multiple times. My senior year, each day after the Cubs blew Games 5, 6 & 7 of the 03 NLCS, the Sox fans were belligerent. That was their World Series victory at the time.

That's the thing of it. After 2005, I(& most Sox fans) really gave less than a damn about the Cubs. And that was after a lifetime of absolute hatred of them. Then came the bigoted Ricketts, Bernstein and then the queer canonization of Theo. Not to mention his duly ordained process and the unquestionable faith in numbers. That the media and the most obnoxious strain of a fanbase just won't shut about.

The game has been reduced to OPS+, BABIP and WAR, fantasy numbers for assholes with no team sport talent, but who want in on the game. It wasn't enough to just crow about attendance titles, but how the new "mastery" of statistical approaches became the only way to "understand" the game. Every business major on this board passed at least a semester of stats, but not one of us would think to gloat about it, or frame entire discussions about a game played since childhood using it. That's assholish AND now #SoCub.

But that same virulent, suck the fun out of baseball group never shuts up about knowing numbers, or how Hawk must go, or the wisdom in over-drafting Schwarber (who I loved at IU btw) until it's not. Hell that same group loves to shit on former Cubbie prospects/players the second they take off that foolish looking hat. I could even stomach most of that until you realize that it's what has left us on air with DiCaro, Silvy & Waddle, Brian Kenny, the KapMan & Bernstein sucking the life out of what had been a funny diversion.

So when your Cubbies win, it was about time, but stop confusing it with finding a new version of the Gospels in some saints' hand written Aramaic on 1900 year old parchment. That MANY of you do so, so much has brought back my Cubbie hatred in full force and has me absolutely reveling in the most painful Cub losses possible. For that I'm left a little empty around here after ranting, because I genuinely like most of the passionate Cub fans around here.

And to clear the record, my disgust with that franchise & a segment of it's fanatics has transcended baseball for over 40 years.

So you hated them for decades and then didn't hate them for 7 years and now hate them again? Did you really stop hating them or were you just enjoying your time on top?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

They didn't all work but that's ok.

Your post isn't refuting the "mostly luck" argument either. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
IMU wrote:
Yeah, all White Sox fans I know brazenly shit on the Cubs in whatever way possible at that moment, and are proud of it. My mom's boyfriend grew up in Bridgeport just off of Halsted... he has 'joked' about his two favorite teams being the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs multiple times. My senior year, each day after the Cubs blew Games 5, 6 & 7 of the 03 NLCS, the Sox fans were belligerent. That was their World Series victory at the time.

That's the thing of it. After 2005, I(& most Sox fans) really gave less than a damn about the Cubs. And that was after a lifetime of absolute hatred of them. Then came the bigoted Ricketts, Bernstein and then the queer canonization of Theo. Not to mention his duly ordained process and the unquestionable faith in numbers. That the media and the most obnoxious strain of a fanbase just won't shut about.

The game has been reduced to OPS+, BABIP and WAR, fantasy numbers for assholes with no team sport talent, but who want in on the game. It wasn't enough to just crow about attendance titles, but how the new "mastery" of statistical approaches became the only way to "understand" the game. Every business major on this board passed at least a semester of stats, but not one of us would think to gloat about it, or frame entire discussions about a game played since childhood using it. That's assholish AND now #SoCub.

But that same virulent, suck the fun out of baseball group never shuts up about knowing numbers, or how Hawk must go, or the wisdom in over-drafting Schwarber (who I loved at IU btw) until it's not. Hell that same group loves to shit on former Cubbie prospects/players the second they take off that foolish looking hat. I could even stomach most of that until you realize that it's what has left us on air with DiCaro, Silvy & Waddle, Brian Kenny, the KapMan & Bernstein sucking the life out of what had been a funny diversion.

So when your Cubbies win, it was about time, but stop confusing it with finding a new version of the Gospels in some saints' hand written Aramaic on 1900 year old parchment. That MANY of you do so, so much has brought back my Cubbie hatred in full force and has me absolutely reveling in the most painful Cub losses possible. For that I'm left a little empty around here after ranting, because I genuinely like most of the passionate Cub fans around here.

And to clear the record, my disgust with that franchise & a segment of it's fanatics has transcended baseball for over 40 years.

So you have focused your hatred of the advanced stats era on the Cubs? I guess that makes sense.

Brian Kenny is awesome, though.

And citing is "assholes with no team sport talent" is kinda weak. Anyone can understand the game. Im quite certain Stephen Hawking could grasp it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 am 

In all honesty, the only time I've rooted against the Cubs was in 2003 because I wanted the Sox to win one first. After 2005, who cares?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:13 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
In all honesty, the only time I've rooted against the Cubs was in 2003 because I wanted the Sox to win one first. After 2005, who cares?

I rooted against them at every turn before '05 and felt the same as you thereafter, until Theo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
So you hated them for decades and then didn't hate them for 7 years and now hate them again? Did you really stop hating them or were you just enjoying your time on top?

I just didn't care enough to hate them for awhile, it's tiring. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
He made smart informed decisions and they ALL worked. That very rarely happens and it resulted in a pretty special team.

Your post isn't refuting the "mostly luck" argument either.

I cant believe the way Hank is ripping Kenny there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I rooted against them at every turn before '05 and felt the same as you thereafter, until Theo.
It's fun to root against certain individuals but that isn't a Cubbie-only thing. The fall of Maddon and Schwarber has been cool. Sadly, Theo is doing a good job.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
He made smart informed decisions and they ALL worked. That very rarely happens and it resulted in a pretty special team.

Wow. Editing quotes to take things out of context. That's a new low.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I appreciate Regular Reader's honest and straight forward fandom. And I could never feel that way about the White Sox. I hope their rebuild is successful and the team can be competitive. It is a smart way to approach fielding a good team for years to come.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:22 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
So you have focused your hatred of the advanced stats era on the Cubs? I guess that makes sense. No, it started with Boston & Theo. Billy Beane at least had the decency to be shown as irrelevant by each October

Brian Kenny is awesome, though. In the dead of winter when I'm dying for any baseball talk, he's passable I guess

And citing is "assholes with no team sport talent" is kinda weak. Anyone can understand the game. Im quite certain Stephen Hawking could grasp it. Stephen Hawking wouldn't shit on the game or claim the same intellectual superiority or suck the joy out of the game and most SABRE metrics devotees do. Neither seemingly does Bill James, he can at least be self deprecating at times.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I quoted the relevant parts.

You're not going to spin this. You're completely irrational on this and it's showing.

There is no need to twist anything here, you're doing a fine job showing everyone your crazy thoughts on this all by yourself.

Here is the entire quote, in which you show your insane sensitivity regarding Kenny

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
They didn't all work but that's ok.

Your post isn't refuting the "mostly luck" argument either. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:26 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I quoted the relevant parts.

You're not going to spin this. You're completely irrational on this and it's showing.

There is no need to twist anything here, you're doing a fine job showing everyone your crazy thoughts on this all by yourself.
You did not quote the relevant part. I was responding to the whole post.

All you are doing is prove that you get a lot of joy about the hatred of Cubs by the Sox.

I don't think you answered it before, but do you think I hate the Cubs?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

All you are doing is prove that you get a lot of joy about the hatred of Cubs by the Sox.

This might be the weirdest thing Ive ever heard on this board. No, I dont get joy out of it. It's just the truth.

That would be like me saying you get joy out of the fact that single payer doesn't work because you've posted it several times in discussions of that topic.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't think you answered it before, but do you think I hate the Cubs?

Not neccessarily but it's clear that 100% of your baseball thoughts get run through the "does this slight the White Sox" filter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Not neccessarily but it's clear that 100% of your baseball thoughts get run through the "does this slight the White Sox" filter.
Dude. I literally renounced my White Sox fandom because of so many moves they made that made it clear they didn't care about winning or were just grossly incompetent and the only good thing they've done is going the intentional tanking route that literally all of baseball has discovered is the best way to make a good team.

As I said, just admit that it was poor word choice to use a phrase which literally means "got lucky" to describe the 2005 White Sox and maybe then you won't be so sensitive about me mentioning it to the point where you think all my posts are me getting mad that there was a slight against the White Sox.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
:lol:

These threads are great

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:59 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Dude. I literally renounced my White Sox fandom because of so many moves they made that made it clear they didn't care about winning or were just grossly incompetent and the only good thing they've done is going the intentional tanking route that literally all of baseball has discovered is the best way to make a good team.

As I said, just admit that it was poor word choice to use a phrase which literally means "got lucky" to describe the 2005 White Sox and maybe then you won't be so sensitive about me mentioning it to the point where you think all my posts are me getting mad that there was a slight against the White Sox.

It was not a poor choice of words. Everyone gets what I was saying except you.

You take a lot of completely rational statements about KW and the 2005 White Sox as slights.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:09 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

It was not a poor choice of words. Everyone gets what I was saying except you.

You take a lot of completely rational statements about KW and the 2005 White Sox as slights.
Ok. I'll try and be a better fan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:16 am 

So is the answer to my question NO?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
This thread should have ended when someone simply said "no."

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:21 am 

conns7901 wrote:
So is the answer to my question NO?
The answer is no and it isn't a big deal if they don't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
The answer is "Maybe. Maybe not. WHY. DO. YOU. CARE?!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:44 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
This is embarrassing.

I've never seen anyone so sensitive about their team.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:25 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
This is embarrassing.

I present to you.....

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=101119

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
This is embarrassing.

I present to you.....

He was trolling, wasn't he?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:31 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
This is embarrassing.

I present to you.....

He was trolling, wasn't he?

I don't believe so but who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
No they will not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next