It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A revenue machine!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
As has been said here before the Sox are a sleeping giant. There will be a new park for them in Chicago in the coming years especially since the NFL is a dying league.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Even things like Monday Night Raw that have to go to All State arena become possible.

WWF has been at the Horizon for about as long as it's been open because it's way cheaper and more flexible to book. I think they did one show at the United Center and decided it wasn't worth the headache. (I don't think they ever ran the Stadium.) I'm guessing a new Bearsasoxatorium would cost even more to rent than the United Center does and they'll just stay at the Horizon until the big wooden roof caves in.

Horizon has been consistently mentioned for years by the boys as one of their favorite arenas to work.

WWF did run the first event in the United Center in 94 (SummerSlam with the Battle of the Undertakers). After that WCW utilized it a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Tata's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Even things like Monday Night Raw that have to go to All State arena become possible.

WWF has been at the Horizon for about as long as it's been open because it's way cheaper and more flexible to book. I think they did one show at the United Center and decided it wasn't worth the headache. (I don't think they ever ran the Stadium.) I'm guessing a new Bearsasoxatorium would cost even more to rent than the United Center does and they'll just stay at the Horizon until the big wooden roof caves in.

Horizon has been consistently mentioned for years by the boys as one of their favorite arenas to work.

WWF did run the first event in the United Center in 94 (SummerSlam with the Battle of the Undertakers). After that WCW utilized it a lot.

Returning to United Center in March.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:25 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I'm sure the active Chicago crowds are the biggest part, but I wonder if the unique dimensions of the place (low roof, shallow rake) make it a good wrestling venue the way they make it such an awful hockey venue.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
conns7901 wrote:
Quote:
Though the ballpark has now been paid for, a variety of taxes continue to underwrite millions of dollars' worth of renovations for a facility economists say has limited economic impact on Chicago.

"The return of investment is really low, maybe negative" for the public, University of Chicago sports economist Allen Sanderson said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-s ... story.html

White Sox are a drain on Chicago and the state with little to no economic impact.
The article you posted is from May of last year.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:50 pm 

As we know, since then, the White Sox have had a huge economic impact on Chicago. May 2016, might as well be writing about the World's Fair.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:50 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I'm sure the active Chicago crowds are the biggest part, but I wonder if the unique dimensions of the place (low roof, shallow rake) make it a good wrestling venue the way they make it such an awful hockey venue.

I think the low roof and acoustics have been mentioned as reasons, with Austin saying the way the crowd noise fell back onto the ring made it feel special.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:54 pm 

Pal wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Really?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
As we know, since then, the White Sox have had a huge economic impact on Chicago.
They might have. I really don't know one way or another.

conns loves to do this in MANY threads-- post a link with little or no comment and then run away. Perhaps he should find a story that is more current.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:00 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
As we know, since then, the White Sox have had a huge economic impact on Chicago.
They might have. I really don't know one way or another.

conns loves to do this in MANY threads-- post a link with little or no comment and then run away. Perhaps he should find a story that is more current.

And here's a shining good-faith argument: "folks, the White Sox may have generated a lot of money during this terrible season, folks, we simply have no way of knowing for sure!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

I'm not the one who posted an 19 month Tribune story, nor did I imply that that the Sox are currently a drain on the city and the state.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
As we know, since then, the White Sox have had a huge economic impact on Chicago. May 2016, might as well be writing about the World's Fair.

:lol:

I completely agree that the Sox are not leaving. But to say they are going to get an even better deal is a little foolish as well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:43 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

:lol:

I completely agree that the Sox are not leaving. But to say they are going to get an even better deal is a little foolish as well.

It depends what you mean by better I guess.

There are many owners in sports who get FAR more than the White Sox do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:43 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I'm not the one who posted an 19 month Tribune story, nor did I imply that that the Sox are currently a drain on the city and the state.

You think they are less of a drain now than May of 16? :lol: Ok.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:51 pm 

Did not have to pay again in either 16 or 17.

Quote:
The Sox also must pay a fee on each ticket sold in excess of 1.93 million in paid attendance. Since 2008, the Sox have paid that fee only in 2010, when games drew 2.2 million fans. However, the Sox were allowed to apply a credit based on the taxes the team paid that year, reducing the ticket fee payment from $455,974 to $95,531.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
conns7901 wrote:
Did not have to pay again in either 16 or 17.

Quote:
The Sox also must pay a fee on each ticket sold in excess of 1.93 million in paid attendance. Since 2008, the Sox have paid that fee only in 2010, when games drew 2.2 million fans. However, the Sox were allowed to apply a credit based on the taxes the team paid that year, reducing the ticket fee payment from $455,974 to $95,531.

I'm glad they fund youth sports, though I wish they'd do something about some of the south suburban schools that have district, not school, teams.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:49 pm 
100000 CLUB

As a school employee, I would expect you to have better comprehension skills, conns.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
They might have. ]I really don't know one way or another.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:45 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Pal wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Really?

Yeah, March 3rd. Only 2nd time since Summerslam in Aug. 1994. Not sure if its one time or if they bailed on Allstate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:55 am 

I don't think WCW even used the UC that much. When they did, it was for really big shows; I think more often than not they ran the UIC Pavilion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:24 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I don't think WCW even used the UC that much. When they did, it was for really big shows; I think more often than not they ran the UIC Pavilion.

WCW ran Nitro there a lot during their solid 2 year run.

That's about it though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:26 pm 

Pal wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Pal wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Really?

Yeah, March 3rd. Only 2nd time since Summerslam in Aug. 1994. Not sure if its one time or if they bailed on Allstate.

Weird.

Didn't see it on either United Center or WWE websites.

I doubt they'd abandon the Allstate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:31 pm 

WWE is in Moline on March 3rd. There's no way they would do a house show from the United Center. They couldn't even come close to filling it for Raw or Smackdown.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:53 pm 

http://www.wrestling-news.net/wwe-to-ho ... de/100160/

Maybe its BS but I heard about it last month a few different times. United Center is empty that night and since its a split roster now and they are in Moline that day, I buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:57 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
WWE is in Moline on March 3rd. There's no way they would do a house show from the United Center.

Isn't it weird that it wasn't that long ago that house shows at Madison Square Garden were more important events than national telecasts? Titles changed hands and a camera wasn't even running.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:28 pm 

Pal wrote:
http://www.wrestling-news.net/wwe-to-hold-event-at-the-united-center-in-chicago-for-the-first-time-in-over-a-decade/100160/

Maybe its BS but I heard about it last month a few different times. United Center is empty that night and since its a split roster now and they are in Moline that day, I buy it.

Cool. Maybe they'll announce it at Raw or Smackdown next week.