It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A revenue machine!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
According to Bruce Levine, the White Sox have annual revenues of over $250m (counting tickets, MLB media, streaming, etc.) and a payroll of only $55m. And he said don't worry...Reinsdorf et al are not booking profits on that money but banking it for the future. :lol:

Post subject: Re: A revenue machine!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
According to Bruce Levine, the White Sox have annual revenues of over $250m (counting tickets, MLB media, streaming, etc.) and a payroll of only $55m. And he said don't worry...Reinsdorf et al are not booking profits on that money but banking it for the future. :lol:

IF this is the case, I expect serious offers for Machado and Harper.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Cashman wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

IF this is the case, I expect serious offers for Machado and Harper.

It isn't the case.

Bruce as usual is wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
The Sox made good money last, Id guess 90 million..is Levine saying they made 195 million?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
312player wrote:
The Sox made good money last, Id guess 90 million..is Levine saying they made 195 million?

If you put a good product on the field, more people would show up. We don't show up to watch a shit show.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
They basically play at the dump Image for free.. I think they only pay 1 million a year in rent. So yeah, they make good money.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I would rather see my team at that "dump" than pay $125 for a ticket where a pole obstructs my view of the Toyota sign and the albatross that is a Jumbotron.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I would rather see my team at that "dump" than pay $125 for a ticket where a pole obstructs my view of the Toyota sign and the albatross that is a Jumbotron.

ok

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:56 pm 

This is the first year in my lifetime they didn't try to win. Jerry deserves it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:59 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Party ends in 2029

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:44 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is the first year in my lifetime they didn't try to win. Jerry deserves it.

I love the guy, but you clearly don't remember the gm Hawk year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Revenue machine!

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 am 

America wrote:
Party ends in 2029

JR will be long gone with his sack of money by then.

Bigfan always said that the Sox and Bulls had nearly identical investors. The Bulls always paid out annually to the investors. The Sox were more of something they could bring people to and impress them as an owner. They didn't lose money and they paid out annually but it wasn't an ATM. The big money the Bulls produced every year made it easy to lay the arm on investors in the odd occurrence there was a capital call to add to budget. Also, the real money in the investment for JR investors was in the sale as the team value went up thousands of percent. In the meantime, they know JR will never lose them money in a year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:20 am 

America wrote:
Party ends in 2029
Unlikely. They'll get an even better deal. The Sox are now the only team in the city that can make a believable claim to leave the city or state.

I mean, DePaul pulled off a new stadium. You can't let the White Sox leave.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Party ends in 2029
Unlikely. They'll get an even better deal. The Sox are now the only team in the city that can make a believable claim to leave the city or state.

I mean, DePaul pulled off a new stadium. You can't let the White Sox leave.

Sure you could.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 am 

Awesome counterpoint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Awesome counterpoint.

Yup!

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:47 am 

Quote:
Though the ballpark has now been paid for, a variety of taxes continue to underwrite millions of dollars' worth of renovations for a facility economists say has limited economic impact on Chicago.

"The return of investment is really low, maybe negative" for the public, University of Chicago sports economist Allen Sanderson said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-s ... story.html

White Sox are a drain on Chicago and the state with little to no economic impact.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:48 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Awesome counterpoint.

Yup!

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:49 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Quote:
Though the ballpark has now been paid for, a variety of taxes continue to underwrite millions of dollars' worth of renovations for a facility economists say has limited economic impact on Chicago.

"The return of investment is really low, maybe negative" for the public, University of Chicago sports economist Allen Sanderson said.

White Sox are a drain on Chicago and the state with little to no economic impact.
Ok, will the Sox play in the city of Chicago in 2030?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:30 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Quote:

Not in a new fully funded stadium by the tax payers.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:35 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
New Comiskey is only 27 years old and underwent thorough renovations about 15 years ago. Unlike New Yankee Stadium which started falling apart the day it was built, you have to believe the structure has good bones and can take on another round of renovations if necessary. They should not need a brand-new stadium in 2029, and if they demand to be built one or else, then the choice has to be...else.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Awesome counterpoint.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Quote:

Well, they don't play in a fully funded stadium by the tax payers now so I don't know how to take your comment here.

Do you mean they'll have to build their own stadium, or buy New Comiskey?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:45 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
New Comiskey is only 27 years old and underwent thorough renovations about 15 years ago. Unlike New Yankee Stadium which started falling apart the day it was built, you have to believe the structure has good bones and can take on another round of renovations if necessary. They should not need a brand-new stadium in 2029, and if they demand to be built one or else, then the choice has to be...else.
Don't get me wrong. I think it's likely they stay there past 2029, but it's not like the city can play hardball with them without a legitimate fear they actually leave unlike say the Bears that weren't ever going to play in Gary, Indiana.

Sox leave the state is just a Cubs fan fantasy where the Sox fans all give "MOAR REVENUE!" to the Cubs so they can spend like the Yankees. Now, I do think one way or another that the city will get a better deal, along with either renovations or a new stadium with benefits(like, a cold weather city having a retractable roof structure capable of hosting bigger events instead of the poorly planned football stadium we have). Who knows? By then the NFL may be willing to let a shared structure between baseball and football happen again if the NFL even exists in 5 years because players are kneeling now.

If not, the Sox move to the suburbs and the suburbs win again!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
conns7901 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Quote:

Why not? Sounds like a great idea, as long as they work out a deal in which the taxpayers get something out of it, like recouping the investment for a starter. The Sox got away with something there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:55 pm 

The Bears were never moving to Gary, but I'm sure they would have pursued Elk Grove or Schaumburg or Itasca or something. And honestly, it wouldn't have been that bad if they did.

I very much want the Sox to stay but I don't want them to demand a free new stadium in such short time just because the Braves and Rangers each got one. Their model should be Kauffman Stadium, which is about 45 years old and is still going strong.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:18 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The Bears were never moving to Gary, but I'm sure they would have pursued Elk Grove or Schaumburg or Itasca or something. And honestly, it wouldn't have been that bad if they did.

I very much want the Sox to stay but I don't want them to demand a free new stadium in such short time just because the Braves and Rangers each got one. Their model should be Kauffman Stadium, which is about 45 years old and is still going strong.
There is a logical case for a new stadium. It would have to be creatively done to be good for baseball and capable of hosting the things that places like Detroit and Indianapolis steal from Chicago with their domed football stadiums. I'm not even talking about the NFL or the Super Bowl, though I do believe there will come a time, if the NFL does truly decline, that they look to put a second team in Chicago. I'm talking about Final Fours, conference title games, bowl games, and then other concerts and events. Even things like Monday Night Raw that have to go to All State arena become possible.

Now, it would be a fairly creative building to be able to handle most of that but they already play football in baseball stadiums all the time, and play basketball in football stadiums all the time. Designing a place from the ground up that is designed to do both can't be impossible. Also, keep in mind this is after Jerry is no longer the owner, so we no longer have to worry about the "keep the United Center strong" part of it. It would be a great thing for the city if done correctly.

Though, as I said, I'm guessing we kind of get the status quo, which is probably ok.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Even things like Monday Night Raw that have to go to All State arena become possible.

WWF has been at the Horizon for about as long as it's been open because it's way cheaper and more flexible to book. I think they did one show at the United Center and decided it wasn't worth the headache. (I don't think they ever ran the Stadium.) I'm guessing a new Bearsasoxatorium would cost even more to rent than the United Center does and they'll just stay at the Horizon until the big wooden roof caves in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:42 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Even things like Monday Night Raw that have to go to All State arena become possible.

WWF has been at the Horizon for about as long as it's been open because it's way cheaper and more flexible to book. I think they did one show at the United Center and decided it wasn't worth the headache. (I don't think they ever ran the Stadium.) I'm guessing a new Bearsasoxatorium would cost even more to rent than the United Center does and they'll just stay at the Horizon until the big wooden roof caves in.
Isn't the problem with the United Center is that they basically run it 8 months out of the year, with the one exemption on the schedule being the circus coming to town from the leagues?

Though, if it was the Bears + Sox then you would run into similar issues. We still could get Billy Joel!