It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: DRAFT 18
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Anderson's bat wouldn't have played anywhere but SS. Now if he continues to improve with the stick he could play OF. But he's not going to be great in CF with zero experience. I say leave him at SS until someone takes it from him. Yolmer is a decent player but no difference maker.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:09 am 

America wrote:
Eloy, Rutherford and now Madrigal are all guys that are going to be every day regulars and they all have very good contact skills. Be shocked to see ant of them K over 15% after they've settled in. With them and Abreu the Sox are going to be putting massive pressure on opponent defenses. Going to be a much livlier offense with more balls in play and runners moving over. Collins and Moncada are going to be windfarms, Davidson too if he's still around, but it'll hardly be as bad as we've been used to

I'm a pretty big advocate of this strategy and I'm glad they have chosen to pursue it.

And Giolito will win the Cy Young Award this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:09 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hatchetman wrote:
a decent player but no difference maker.
This also describes Anderson.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:14 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
a decent player but no difference maker.
This also describes Anderson.

Especially if he were an outfielder. In theory at least Anderson has more upside. He's faster and can hit the ball farther when he connects.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am 

America wrote:
He can absolutely learn to play SS well. Whether he actually will accomplish that is unknown, right now it doesn't look good, but this season is already lost so they may as well give him every chance they can until Madrigal is ready to unseat him. Who else in the system can play SS?
Yolmer, but he's playing 3rd now and, honestly, at SS he's not much better than Anderson.
Leury, but he's hurt and hasn't played SS reguarly since 2015 (at Charlotte)
Danny Mendick and Eddy Alvarez are your starting SS in Bham and Charlotte, respectively.

So there's no other options right now. Might as well throw Anderson out there and see if reps improve him. Anyone who wants to try and trade for a major league quality SS who can play defense to improve things in this lost season is certifiably insane.

The team essentially has three more full seasons before they need to make any conclusions about Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
A calendar year before the heat will be on from Madrigal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
America wrote:
He can absolutely learn to play SS well. Whether he actually will accomplish that is unknown, right now it doesn't look good, but this season is already lost so they may as well give him every chance they can until Madrigal is ready to unseat him. Who else in the system can play SS?
Yolmer, but he's playing 3rd now and, honestly, at SS he's not much better than Anderson.
Danny Mendick and Eddy Alvarez are your starting SS in Bham and Charlotte, respectively.

So there's no other options right now. Might as well throw Anderson out there and see if reps improve him. Anyone who wants to try and trade for a major league quality SS who can play defense to improve things in this lost season is certifiably insane.

The team essentially has three more full seasons before they need to make any conclusions about Anderson

You think they are that far off?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
juschill wrote:

And Giolito will win the Cy Young Award this year.

Go back to the Cubs section.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:39 am 

If they aren't at least decent next year with Abreu/Eloy/Moncada/Collins in the lineup and Kopech/Lopez/Giolito in the rotation things are absolutely dire.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:42 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
America wrote:

No. That is the first year of FA. He certainly has next year as the guy locked in at SS. Then, depending on his and other's development, they can begin the discussion about moving him around.

One thing I think the Sox should make clear to ALL of their players is that they will be moved around. It is a GOOD thing to learn to play multiple positions. Now, ideally I want my catcher, SS and CF to be the same every day but if no one is playing at or near gold glove defense, no one owns a spot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 am 

They ARE that far off. Maybe could be decent on the offense side, but pitching is horrendous and Kopech isn't going to be Bob Feller out of the gate. Even if he were they need like 12 more pitchers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 am 

America wrote:
If they aren't at least decent next year with Abreu/Eloy/Moncada/Collins in the lineup and Kopech/Lopez/Giolito in the rotation things are absolutely dire.

I know nothing about minor leagues but I do know that Collins will be catching Kopech in it next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:47 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
They ARE that far off. Maybe could be decent on the offense side, but pitching is horrendous and Kopech isn't going to be Bob Feller out of the gate. Even if he were they need like 12 more pitchers.

They have some incredibly promising arms in both the rotation and bullpen in the minors that are about 1+ years away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:48 am 

The only other good prospect (Cease) is in A ball. Well Hansen but he is injured and headed for A ball too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:53 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
The only other good prospect (Cease) is in A ball. Well Hansen but he is injured and headed for A ball too.

This is just stupid. They have young arms in the majors already. Rodon will be back soon. And you are ignoring Stephens, Dunning, and dismissing Kopech as “not Bob Feller”. How old are you btw? Bob Feller?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:56 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
America wrote:
He can absolutely learn to play SS well.

I'll ask again. Who is a guy you have seen as rough as Anderson who improved to be what you would call even adequate at short? I'm not saying it's never happened but it sure doesn't happen much and it's unlikely to happen with Anderson. But his improvement with the strikezone has been miraculous, so that's something.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:04 am 
100000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
I hope this is an act. This is Caller Bob levels of stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:05 am 

Dane Dunning has been in AA for like 5 starts. I'm sure he'll be a rotation stalwart in Chicago next year.

so then we have a rotation of

Kopech
Lopez
Giolito
Covey
??

Bullpen of
Jace Fry
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
Dane Dunning has been in AA for like 5 starts. I'm sure he'll be a rotation stalwart in Chicago next year.

Kopech
Lopez
Giolito
Covey
??

Bullpen of
Jace Fry
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???

Where's Rodon?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:06 am 
100000 CLUB

Posts in this section where Hatchetman makes a good point

???
???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:07 am 

They still have a lot of promising arms and I have a feeling the focus today will be to add many more. Wont be surprised to see high school arms especially.

They'll have two more top 50 picks again next year to get more position players.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:10 am 

Ian Hamilton? AJ Puckett? Aaron Bummer? Thygo Viera? I mean holy shit Zach Burdi is probably the best relief prospect in baseball. They've got a lot of promising bullpen pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:14 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

Kopech
Lopez
Giolito
Covey
??

Bullpen of
Jace Fry
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???

This is really stupid. You are ignoring Rodon. There is also Bummer, Jones and others already on the big league club. You don't like the White Sox. Great point.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:15 am 

I forgot about Rodon but he aint Steve Carlton anyway. And stop listing scrub relievers with decent numbers in AA. virtually evey team has guys like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:16 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:

I'll ask again. Who is a guy you have seen as rough as Anderson who improved to be what you would call even adequate at short? I'm not saying it's never happened but it sure doesn't happen much and it's unlikely to happen with Anderson. But his improvement with the strikezone has been miraculous, so that's something.

Former White Sox prospect Marcus Semien looked hopeless at SS and has actually become rather good defensively in Oakland. Not just average, like he is a really good defender at SS.
Xander Bogearts had a year where he literally could not play the position. It was terrible, but I think everyone figured he'd climb out of that rut.

Anderson is a lot better of an athlete than Semien, and man I think you remember how ugly Semien looked at times. Anderson has trouble with the easy ones sometimes but at least he's got range, Semien was just hopeless.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:16 am 

I still dont count Rodon and wont until I see him really perform. He's not part of the big picture for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:20 am 

JORR's the only guy I'll consider having a valid opinion here. Watch 40-50 years of baseball and you see 90% of pitching prospects are just BUSTS.

What do you say, JORR?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:22 am 
100000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
JORR's the only guy I'll consider having a valid opinion here.
:lol: Holy cow, are you stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:

There is a helluva lot of difference between playing short-stop and center field. A lot of people think that just anyone can play outfield and it would be easy for a former short-stop to do. I don't think it is easy at all. That being said, I think that Anderson does have excellent physical assets to play outfield, even the most difficult outfield position, center field. This would require sending him down to the minors and teaching him the position, I think and that they should do it especially considering this team is so bad anyway why not do it?

I also think that Anderson has allowed himself to fall into some really bad habits in how he plays short-stop. To me he really lacks solid fundamentals in how he moves to the ball and sets himself to throw.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
good dolphin wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
America wrote:

No. That is the first year of FA. He certainly has next year as the guy locked in at SS. Then, depending on his and other's development, they can begin the discussion about moving him around.

One thing I think the Sox should make clear to ALL of their players is that they will be moved around. It is a GOOD thing to learn to play multiple positions. Now, ideally I want my catcher, SS and CF to be the same every day but if no one is playing at or near gold glove defense, no one owns a spot.

Ideally, this policy should happen pretty early on in a player's career, though.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next