It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Offseason
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It's pretty clear that players love playing for the White Sox.

They love Jerry more than the so called fans do.

Shots fired at Favrefan!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Favorite Pizza Place
Cashman wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Cashman wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Wow. Hahn outTheoing Theo.

Could you imagine how great the Cubs would be if Theo showed loyalty and paid his own players rather than paying big money for free agents?

Hahn has been remarkably good at getting young players to sign long term contracts and remarkably lucky that those players have earned their pay.

Hahn is getting these guys way under market value. I thought the comp for Moncada's contract was Bregman.

Giolito and Cease gotta be next.

If Moncada continues to perform like he did last year, 5 years at 70 is going to be an insane bargain. Of all of these extensions, I think he's the safest. Hahn is eventually going to miss on at least one of these extensions, but that doesn't mean they weren't worth the gamble.

The only one that might, could be Luis Robert. A lot of hype around this kid as well as an injury history. I don't believe that will happen, but it could. My guess is, when they hand Giolito his contract, that will be the boom or bust one.

Luis Robert is going to be an all star. Reminds me of a young Andrew McCutchen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:45 am 

Cashman wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Cashman wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Wow. Hahn outTheoing Theo.

Could you imagine how great the Cubs would be if Theo showed loyalty and paid his own players rather than paying big money for free agents?

Hahn has been remarkably good at getting young players to sign long term contracts and remarkably lucky that those players have earned their pay.

Hahn is getting these guys way under market value. I thought the comp for Moncada's contract was Bregman.

Giolito and Cease gotta be next.

If Moncada continues to perform like he did last year, 5 years at 70 is going to be an insane bargain. Of all of these extensions, I think he's the safest. Hahn is eventually going to miss on at least one of these extensions, but that doesn't mean they weren't worth the gamble.

The only one that might, could be Luis Robert. A lot of hype around this kid as well as an injury history. I don't believe that will happen, but it could. My guess is, when they hand Giolito his contract, that will be the boom or bust one.

They can afford to stay calm on the pitchers. Long term pitching contracts are inherently fraught with danger. Additionally, it is going to start to become very crowded in that starting pitching group by mid season with Rodon and Kopech returning and hopefully Dunning tailing them. If Giolito comes to them to sign a very affordable long term deal because of fears from his past injuries and production, ok. I would not sign him to any monster deal. It has to be one of those Sale/Quintana deals that you can peddle if the situation proves advantageous.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:46 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Don't count on Rodon for anything.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I see him being done in a Sox uniform. I don't think he has any desire to be a bullpen guy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:13 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
What would he have been projected to make if he bet on himself the next few years?

He will be 30 when this contract ends with 125 million already in his pocket. He didn't have to gamble on himself as he still will have another chance at a big contract.

What would he have been projected to make if he has seasons like last year the next five years? 75,80,100?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
good dolphin wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
What would he have been projected to make if he bet on himself the next few years?

He will be 30 when this contract ends with 125 million already in his pocket. He didn't have to gamble on himself as he still will have another chance at a big contract.
Yeah this makes sense on both sides. For Moncada it mitigates the risk associated with injury as well as the possibility that last year was an aberration. Further it takes the pressure of Moncada if he has a slow start. From the Sox standpoint it's low risk high reward. And as GD noted he can still hit the jackpot when the contract ends.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hatchetman wrote:
any time I ever got optimistic about the Sox it was followed by the feeling of getting shot in the face. So, i'm not falling for that again.

This guy gets it

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:37 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Boot licking Mike at it again! Very SAD!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
FavreFan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Boot licking Mike at it again! Very SAD!

Don't get me started on a Friday tough guy. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

they are all taking less to be a White Sox

To be a White Sock.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Why? IF he is healthy, I'd say he's got as good a chance as anyone not named Kuechel and Giolitto to be a solid starter. It is amazing you and Cashman are so easily ready to talk about injured prospects having no chance because of their surgery.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Rodon is a total crapshoot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

they are all taking less to be a White Sox

To be a White Sock.

I'm firmly in the White Sock camp, and not in the White Sox camp on this one. Although I hear a lot of people in the media, chief among them Laurence Holmes, who will use "White Sox" when referring to one member of the team instead of "White Sock."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Trump Pies delivered by fwank
'Sock' is lame and wrong.

or...Los Blancos as they say in Habana.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:06 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Rodon is a total crapshoot

YOu can say that about any pitcher that had surgery on his pitching arm. Pitching as a whole really is a total crapshoot. You're on the top of the heap one minute and then POOF, you throw a pitch, you feel something pop and a week later you're having surgery.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Cheap Charlie wrote:
'Sock' is lame and wrong.

or...Los Blancos as they say in Habana.

Like white sox isn't lame. It's as lame as shirts and skins. Do you want to be a shirts or a skins?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:26 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Why? IF he is healthy, I'd say he's got as good a chance as anyone not named Kuechel and Giolitto to be a solid starter. It is amazing you and Cashman are so easily ready to talk about injured prospects having no chance because of their surgery.

Great minds think alike.

Look at how long it took(we think he is ready) Burdi to get it back. Rodon is not a long term solution for the Sox. So if it is Kopech getting experience or Rodon struggling through the 2nd half, I am taking Kopech 100% of the time. Rodon wants to get paid, and has no desire to go to the pen. He probably would do better as a closer, but whatever.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:22 pm 

Cashman wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Great minds think alike.

Look at how long it took(we think he is ready) Burdi to get it back. Rodon is not a long term solution for the Sox. So if it is Kopech getting experience or Rodon struggling through the 2nd half, I am taking Kopech 100% of the time. Rodon wants to get paid, and has no desire to go to the pen. He probably would do better as a closer, but whatever.

What does it matter how long it takes to recover? You make all of these pronouncements about players careers being OVER as if you somehow know something definitive. Rodon is still young and I really love his mechanics. You also mention Rodon "struggling" through the 2nd half and wanting Kopech to pitch instead of him. Why is that? Kopech blew out his arm also did he not? So what make Kopech a legit prospect and not Rodon?

YOu say Rodon wants to get paid. Guess what? He's not going to get paid unless he performs. Neither will Kopech. It is a fact that players do not get paid, especially pitchers unless they prove that they can pitch as well as stay healthy. As for Rodon having no desire for being a reliever, he doesn't get to make that choice. He'll got to the pen if the organization can find value in it and will pay him as a reliever. It is as simple as that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:35 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
Cashman wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Great minds think alike.

What does it matter how long it takes to recover? You make all of these pronouncements about players careers being OVER as if you somehow know something definitive. Rodon is still young and I really love his mechanics. You also mention Rodon "struggling" through the 2nd half and wanting Kopech to pitch instead of him. Why is that? Kopech blew out his arm also did he not? So what make Kopech a legit prospect and not Rodon?

YOu say Rodon wants to get paid. Guess what? He's not going to get paid unless he performs. Neither will Kopech. It is a fact that players do not get paid, especially pitchers unless they prove that they can pitch as well as stay healthy. As for Rodon having no desire for being a reliever, he doesn't get to make that choice. He'll got to the pen if the organization can find value in it and will pay him as a reliever. It is as simple as that.

It usually takes Rodon a handful of start before he gets going, and usually can not complete an entire season. IF he is healthy be all star break, probably half of that before he gets going. If the Sox are in a playoff push, I dont think they need someone struggling for 5-6 starts. Also, he is only under Sox control for 1 more season. Kopech has more years of control.

Why Kopech and not Rodon? What they project out to be. We have seen 5yrs of Rodon, and I see nothing more than a #4 type of starter out of him. Also his agent. As for not producing to get paid, I am not buying that. I am not saying he is gonna get $30M a year, but what we have seen, I think he is like a $10-15M a year guy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:25 pm 

Cashman wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Cashman wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Great minds think alike.

It usually takes Rodon a handful of start before he gets going, and usually can not complete an entire season. IF he is healthy be all star break, probably half of that before he gets going. If the Sox are in a playoff push, I dont think they need someone struggling for 5-6 starts. Also, he is only under Sox control for 1 more season. Kopech has more years of control.

Why Kopech and not Rodon? What they project out to be. We have seen 5yrs of Rodon, and I see nothing more than a #4 type of starter out of him. Also his agent. As for not producing to get paid, I am not buying that. I am not saying he is gonna get $30M a year, but what we have seen, I think he is like a $10-15M a year guy.

We will see. You go ahead and predict his career being over. Where you project his salary is also pretty funny. I think that if he is healthy, he can win 12-15 games depending when he is released to start. I care less about what what his Sox "control" is. That will take care of itself via performance. Rodon is 27 years old. Kopech is 24. Both are returning from significant injuries that hundreds of pitchers have had, many of whom who have recovered to become proven major league pitchers. Kopech is more of an unproven entity in my estimation than Rodon is. If I were to bet, I think that Kopech will start his career in the bull-pen where they will let him figure things out for himself and them, sort of the way they dealt with Sale.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:48 pm 

The Hawk wrote:

We will see. You go ahead and predict his career being over. Where you project his salary is also pretty funny. I think that if he is healthy, he can win 12-15 games depending when he is released to start. I care less about what what his Sox "control" is. That will take care of itself via performance. Rodon is 27 years old. Kopech is 24. Both are returning from significant injuries that hundreds of pitchers have had, many of whom who have recovered to become proven major league pitchers. Kopech is more of an unproven entity in my estimation than Rodon is. If I were to bet, I think that Kopech will start his career in the bull-pen where they will let him figure things out for himself and them, sort of the way they dealt with Sale.

I didn't say his career. I said he and the Sox are probably done. What happens in 21' we will see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:43 pm 

Cashman wrote:
The Hawk wrote:

I didn't say his career. I said he and the Sox are probably done. What happens in 21' we will see what happens.

that's fair enough. We'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Carrie Woodswhenhealthy. Mark Priorwhenhealthy.

If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass on the ground as he hopped.

Rodon has pitched in 39 games over 154 innings since your butt buddy Trump took the oath of office. Don't count on Rodon for anything.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Lots of Cub fans worrying about the Sox offseason up in here!

the Sox will have more wins than the Cubs this season. Book it.

That's a bold pick, Cotton.
This was posted in December, before Keuchel, Encarnacion, Robert, and Moncada were signed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Your boldness is admirable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

I was frustrated and still want to stab JERRRY????? in the eye with a pen, but I had faith Hahn would eventually cobble together a real solid ballclub.

It took longer than I would have liked, but he has done a great job in seemingly giving the Sox a good window to contend. The next 3-4 years at least, and there is still payroll flexibility to sign more guys and extend the window. Obviously the games have to be played and you win nothing on paper, but I like the Sox chances as good as any going forward into the 2020s.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:41 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
It took longer than I would have liked, but he has done a great job in seemingly giving the Sox a good window to contend.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jerry's never gonna change his ways. We're easy marks.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

All the more impressive job by Hahn. Maybe it foolishly took him longer to realize that he is going to have to operate within the confines of Jerry's Way, or find another organization to work for.

Regardless of your feelings on the owner or the organization as a whole FF, you can't deny that the Sox a core full of talent locked up for the next few seasons. We'll see if it pans out into a victory parade or not.

And the "he" in the statement you quoted above refers to Hahn, not Jerry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:45 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
All the more impressive job by Hahn. Maybe it foolishly took him longer to realize that he is going to have to operate within the confines of Jerry's Way, or find another organization to work for.

Regardless of your feelings on the owner or the organization as a whole, you can't deny that the Sox a core full of talent locked up for the next few seasons. We'll see if it pans out into a victory parade or not.

They do have a nice core. That doesn't negate 10+ years of being the laughingstock of the sport and this city.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next