It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Offseason
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:47 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
You're right, it does not. Part of that was Kenny Williams still making foolish deals. Part of that was spending money on bad players. Part of it was also bad moves by Hahn. And part of it is that Jerry's way largely sucks. If all of the losing culminates in another WS title, then it will all be worth it.

Jerry is also 84 years old. Realistically he could crap out any moment now. But even if he lives another ten years, the Sox will have a lot of talent on the field over at least 60-70% of that time.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Don't count on Rodon for anything.

Why? IF he is healthy, I'd say he's got as good a chance as anyone not named Kuechel and Giolitto to be a solid starter. It is amazing you and Cashman are so easily ready to talk about injured prospects having no chance because of their surgery.
Carrie Woodswhenhealthy. Mark Priorwhenhealthy.

If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass on the ground as he hopped.

Rodon has pitched in 39 games over 154 innings since your butt buddy Trump took the oath of office. Don't count on Rodon for anything.

So, you know more than doctors, pitching coaches, and general managers about whether a pitcher is healthy or not, eh? Apparently Hahn and company aren't throwing Rodon away like you say that they should. I know one thing, Rodon has good solid mechanics as well as having 3 very good pitches. He was a number one draft pick for a reason. I still believe that he will be a good starting pitcher.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:18 am 
100000 CLUB

Hawk,

Please quote where I said I know more than doctors, GMs, managers, and pitching coaches. Please quote where I said I wanted Rodon to be cut. Either quote me, or admit you were wrong in putting these words into my mouth.

Rodon being a #1 pick and having potential has nothing to do with the greatest ability. That is availability, and Rodon has been sorely lacking in that department for the last three-four seasons. That is a fact. Given that factual information, you cannot rely on Rodon for anything this season. Any innings or starts that he gives you has to be looked at as a bonus. If you cannot understand this very simple concept, then I cannot help you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:36 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hawk,

Please quote where I said I know more than doctors, GMs, managers, and pitching coaches. Please quote where I said I wanted Rodon to be cut. Either quote me, or admit you were wrong in putting these words into my mouth.

Rodon being a #1 pick and having potential has nothing to do with the greatest ability. That is availability, and Rodon has been sorely lacking in that department for the last three-four seasons. That is a fact. Given that factual information, you cannot rely on Rodon for anything this season. Any innings or starts that he gives you has to be looked at as a bonus. If you cannot understand this very simple concept, then I cannot help you.

I just disagree with people when they see a player who has a significant injury and automatically rule him out. Not with today's medical procedures and not when you have the talent that Rodon has.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

It's been three consecutive seasons worth of injuries. Not just one.

Are you going to quote or apologize?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hawk,

I just disagree with people when they see a player who has a significant injury and automatically rule him out. Not with today's medical procedures and not when you have the talent that Rodon has.

I have ruled him out. I pretty much ruled him out after they took chunks of rotten flesh out of his shoulder. It shouldn't be surprising other parts go bad too, overcompensating for it. Maybe he can hang on in MLB Jake Peavy-like, but I don't want him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Rodon cannot be relied on to ever start but his ability as a reliever is really intriguing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:49 pm 
100000 CLUB

Its not crazy to think he could become a Josh Hader type who can come into a game in the 6th or 7th inning, and take you all the way to Bummer in the 9th. But would Rodon actually do that, or does he think of himself as a SP still?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:55 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Its not crazy to think he could become a Josh Hader type who can come into a game in the 6th or 7th inning, and take you all the way to Bummer in the 9th. But would Rodon actually do that, or does he think of himself as a SP still?

Maybe for a good reason. He's never been a guy who could fall out of bed throwing strikes. Pitching has always been a "process" for him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
At this point he will probably accept moving to the bullpen. Especially since he'll be rejoining the squad mid-season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Maybe for a good reason. He's never been a guy who could fall out of bed throwing strikes. Pitching has always been a "process" for him.
:lol: Fair point. Its been so long since I've seen him pitch, I completely forgot that the strike zone tended to jump around on him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Kopech hit 101 in his perfect inning today...any scenario where he makes the opening day roster?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Kopech hit 101 in his perfect inning today...any scenario where he makes the opening day roster?
An injury to somebody else.

But really, teams generally don't need a 5th starter until the third and sometimes fourth trip thru the rotation with all of the off days early in the year. Might as well let him stay in a rhythm in extended ST and bring him up later in the month.

Edit; per Twitter, Kopech hit 100+mph seven times :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
In my mind any pitch could be Kopech's last.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:43 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Ever hear about "inference"? You inferred that Rodon was done. Apology? You clarified your position and I accept it. I don't think you are right that being said.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:50 pm 

Nardi wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hawk,

I have ruled him out. I pretty much ruled him out after they took chunks of rotten flesh out of his shoulder. It shouldn't be surprising other parts go bad too, overcompensating for it. Maybe he can hang on in MLB Jake Peavy-like, but I don't want him.

I want him because his surgery went well, he's left handed, and he has excellent stuff. My guess is that he'll go to to 3A at the beginning of the season and work his way back to the majors.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:58 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

I doubt it. He's going to be a starter and has pitched one inning in pretty much two years. They have to build up his endurance and this will take at least a month or month and a half to do. ITs kind of interesting because they have three guys in Dunning, Burdi, and Kopech pretty much all the same guy. Not to mention that Carson Fulmer looks like he may just have figured thing out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Favorite Pizza Place
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Kopech will continue rehab in Triple A to start the season, but will definitely make the rotation at some point. The guy is a strikeout monster.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 am 

The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Ever hear about "inference"? You inferred that Rodon was done. Apology? You clarified your position and I accept it. I don't think you are right that being said.

I think the issuer of the message implies. The receiver of the message infers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:31 am 

good dolphin wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I think the issuer of the message implies. The receiver of the message infers.

Good catch. You're absolutely right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:05 am 

I think they should be looking to move Mc Cann to the highest bidder immediately. A backup catcher in a 60 game season is going to play 20-25 games. He is definitely not going to be on the team next year as he hits free agency. He had a career year last year but at the same time is still making little money. At the same time, he could be very valuable to another team now that the DH is universal. Sox can cover the backup catcher position with what they have in house. I wouldn't have felt the same for a 162 game season where the backup would have to cover 70 games but the impact is so minimal this season that it is an unnecessary luxury. Also, there will be zero starts behind the plate for Collins if he stays.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
good dolphin wrote:
I think they should be looking to move Mc Cann to the highest bidder immediately. A backup catcher in a 60 game season is going to play 20-25 games. He is definitely not going to be on the team next year as he hits free agency. He had a career year last year but at the same time is still making little money. At the same time, he could be very valuable to another team now that the DH is universal. Sox can cover the backup catcher position with what they have in house. I wouldn't have felt the same for a 162 game season where the backup would have to cover 70 games but the impact is so minimal this season that it is an unnecessary luxury. Also, there will be zero starts behind the plate for Collins if he stays.

I'd say 12-15 games is what the back up catchers see this short season, I don't see any team trading for any backup catchers. I don't foresee many trades period..maybe a closer or setup man at most for a team that's really close to a ring.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:32 am 

312player wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'd say 12-15 games is what the back up catchers see this short season, I don't see any team trading for any backup catchers. I don't foresee many trades period..maybe a closer or setup man at most for a team that's really close to a ring.

I don't think there will be ANY major increases in salary for any teams. Luckily Mc Cann is relatively cheap and can start at both c and dh for teams that were caught off guard by the rule change. Prorated 5.4 million is cheap if he starts.

Anyway, my thinking is that he will near zero impact on the success of 2020 and will be gone after. Try to get something for him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Trump Pies delivered by fwank
The kid pitcher, Kelley, signs for only 3 million.

“This is a moment I’ve been dreaming about for as long as I can remember and still can’t believe it’s real,” said Kelley. “None of this would be possible without the love and support from my mom, dad, brother and the many coaches and teammates I’ve had along the way. I’d like to thank the Chicago White Sox for taking a chance on me and I promise to give you, and White Sox fans everywhere, everything I’ve got.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:51 am 

that guy looks like a real back country goober

he has that 1920s look where he is only 18 but could pass for 35

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:46 am 

That guy ain't 18. I think we got hoodwinked.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
With there not being a minor league season, how do we see Kelley's development going?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:21 am 

Cashman wrote:
With there not being a minor league season, how do we see Kelley's development going?

supposedly he is going to be on the taxi squad along with Crochet. Hopefully this taxi squads get some B games or intrasquads

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Uh oh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:10 pm 

Dang Chicago pitchers are dropping quick. Who is next?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next