It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:00 pm 

From 2006 to present the Cubs and Sox almost have identical W/L records with the Cubs having 2 playoff appearances, both lost in the division round and the Sox having 1 playoff appearance losing in the division round.

We all know how bad most Cub fans want Hendry gone, and Sox fans continue to point this out. Yet KW has not exactly had a stellar run since the WS title in 05. How long can he ride that thing? At what point will people begin to call for his head?

We continue to hear In Kenny we trust. . . but at some point that has to run out

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
White Sox fans will show their displeasure by only filling out the stadium halfway.

If pleased, the cell will be 3/5ths full.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
i dont think he's a bad gm. The sox could certainly do worse

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:42 pm 

Give him a lifetime contract.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:44 pm 

I'm more of a Cubs fan then Sox fan and Kenny has had far less 'big deals' go south then Jimmy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:45 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
RFDC wrote:
From 2006 to present the Cubs and Sox almost have identical W/L records with the Cubs having 2 playoff appearances, both lost in the division round and the Sox having 1 playoff appearance losing in the division round.

We all know how bad most Cub fans want Hendry gone, and Sox fans continue to point this out. Yet KW has not exactly had a stellar run since the WS title in 05. How long can he ride that thing? At what point will people begin to call for his head?

We continue to hear In Kenny we trust. . . but at some point that has to run out

I do think Frank said in a thread towards the end of last year that if they don't make the playoffs this year, that should be it.

One playoff appearance in four years in the weakest division in baseball (outside of the NL West) isn't even mediocre.

He probably benefits from being able to get the comparison to Jim Hendry. But a GM can be both better than Jim Hendry and also a bad GM.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:49 pm 

ChgoSportsFreak wrote:
I'm more of a Cubs fan then Sox fan and Kenny has had far less 'big deals' go south then Jimmy.

But the end result since 06 is basically the same.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:50 pm 

im not positive its the 2nd weakest, considering how much more dominant the al is over the nl

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
JR will never fire him though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Look at my thread of Nov. 28th When RFDC comes up with an original thought it will be his 1st 8)

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Lets go back to 2004 first. He hired Ozzie. Now, go ahead bigfan and say that Jerry lobbied for Ozzie and that Cito was Kenny's guy. Fair enough, but KW had to pull the trigger on actually HIRING the fucking man. And he did. So, hired Ozzie. If Big Frank OR (not both, just one) Mags stay healthy in 2004, they win the division, bar none. They didn't, so they miss the playoffs. Injuries happen to everybody, so not an excuse but KW certainly assembled a team capable of winning the AL central.

Flash foward to 2005. He made a lot of moves. Fans were restless, the media bashed him, everybody in baseball questioned him. In October, nobody said a bad thing about him.

Sox won 90 games in 2006. Is it KW's fault that the pitching staff (the same staff, for the most part, that blitzed thru the playoffs at an 11-1 clip the year before) shit the bed in August and September? No.

They were terrible in 2007, yet Kenny made more moves and bounced back to win the division in 2008 after being left for dead yet again in September. He has attempted to rebuild on the fly yet still stay competetive and he's landed a goddam good number of solid, potentially all star-type, players. He also just traded a few prospects for one of the best pitchers in the NL over the past 3-4 years.

I think his seat should get hotter if the Sox miss the playoffs this year, but he continues to prove that he is without question the best (and certainly the ballsiest) GM this town has seen in years. Sure he has holes. THe Sox are typically not a very fast team, and they haven't been a good defensive team the past 2 seasons. But he's worked on changing that. And while everybody is lamenting the fact that Figgens, Matsui, Lackey, Granderson, etc went to places other than 35th and Shields, Kenny Williams makes a few under the radar moves, and he is sitting quietly with one of the best start rotations (front 4 especially) in all of MLB.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:38 pm 

I don't think 2005 matters much now. Maybe if it's REALLY, REALLY close between firing and not firing him. It's all on Rios and Peavy. If those guys do well then there isn't a hot seat of Kenny. If one or both struggle then that may be it.

I think Kenny is the best GM in my lifetime besides Krause who had the benefit of two all time greats to look like a genius.

I'm not convinced that whoever replaced Kenny would be an upgrade but if things don't look like they are going well then it probably is time.

If they don't make the playoffs this year, then he definitely is on the chopping block but may survive another year.

To answer your question, 2005 means very little now. The perceived future of the franchise is.

The biggest difference with Hendy and Williams is that the Cubs have a terrible contract situation coming up. The Sox have a bad one if Rios sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
KW is GM for as long as he wants to be. that's the way it is.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
spmack wrote:
JR will never fire him though.

BINGO!

Kenny is the bad cop! Jerry loves this shit. Kenny is going nowhere.

They could come in last for 5 straight years and then, he might think about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:20 am 

I think unless the Sox finish back to back in second to last, or last place, Kenny will have a job.

Rijos could make or break him in the long run.

I like the fact he's finally giving Ozzie a roster he's looking for - built on speed and defense vs. station to station thumpers who have to play the field.

The one thing Kenny has to be careful of is that the Sox consistently finish in 2nd or 3rd in their division - aka no-man's land.

With the Twins moving outside, the Tigers dealing Granderson, Cleveland rebuilding again, and KC being KC - I feel the Central is their's for the taking again. You gotta walk before you can run, so the Central is the first goal, and then a post-season ALCS appearance again would be nice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:36 am 

35thStreet Slick wrote:
I think unless the Sox finish back to back in second to last, or last place, Kenny will have a job.

I like the fact he's finally giving Ozzie a roster he's looking for - built on speed and defense vs. station to station thumpers who have to play the field.

The one thing Kenny has to be careful of is that the Sox consistently finish in 2nd or 3rd in their division - aka no-man's land.

With the Twins moving outside, the Tigers dealing Granderson, Cleveland rebuilding again, and KC being KC - I feel the Central is their's for the taking again. You gotta walk before you can run, so the Central is the first goal, and then a post-season ALCS appearance again would be nice.

Big Sox fan, Mr 35h street? It's Rios Go to a game

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:28 am 
100000 CLUB

Exactly what she wanted.

Rijos :lol:, oh my is that clever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
I bitch and moan about Kenny, but the only thing that he has completely botched is in the player development area.

You would think the creepy Chairman would have figured out the cost effective way of building a team after close to 30 years.

Kenny has done a good job with the limited resources that Chairman Weirdsley gives him.

The one constant with this organization is when they screw up, from Schueler, to Guillen to Williams they have ALWAYS been allowed to blame the fans.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:43 am 

35thStreet Slick wrote:

This idea that the Twins playing outside helps the White Sox is pure bullshit.
They used to play outside with guys like Killebrew, Oliva, Mincher, Allison, Carew, Blyleven, Chance, Hisle, Bostock.....and beat the dogshit out of the White Sox.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
As a pathetic Cub fan,any GM that wins a WS would be like a God in my book! I would be eternally gratefull,so would many like me!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:03 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
As a pathetic Cub fan,any GM that wins a WS would be like a God in my book! I would be eternally gratefull,so would many like me!

In most cities the motto is "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY"!!!!

The management of both the Sox and Cubs has benfitted from the Hootervillian habit of fans here comparing their club to the other and pointing fingers.

I sure as hell understand Cub fans want to get to the World Series.....but the eternally grateful part will last one off season.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: House of Pizza
Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

The management of both the Sox and Cubs has benfitted from the Hootervillian habit of fans here comparing their club to the other and pointing fingers.

I sure as hell understand Cub fans want to get to the World Series.....but the eternally grateful part will last one off season.

Bingo Bango.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

:roll:

If "loveable losers" works for an entire century plus, KW has nothing to worry about.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Hatchetman wrote:
KW is GM for as long as he wants to be. that's the way it is.

Bingo.

He can ride it for a theoretical 101 years and counting as far as I'm concerned..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:59 am 

At least 15 seasons.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:01 am 

FavreFan wrote:
i dont think he's a bad gm. The sox could certainly do worse

:lol:

What a fucking idiot.

Nice bump.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 am 
100000 CLUB

I think conns bumps and starts more nonsensical Sox threads than bigfan ever did.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:45 am 

I guess 15 years was the right answer. Theo is good until 2031.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:14 pm 

Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

ASFB on point as usual

Cub fans literally hate Made on and Bryant....Theo is next