It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
badrogue17 wrote:
Baseball hasn’t changed that much in 10 years to the point where LaRussa wouldn’t be a good manager anymore . That’s ridiculous .

The game has changed though and I don’t think he’s the same quality of manager as he was back in the day. It’s Lou Piniella redux.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
badrogue17 wrote:
Baseball hasn’t changed that much in 10 years to the point where LaRussa wouldn’t be a good manager anymore . That’s ridiculous .

Is he a bad manager after 10 years away from the game? No

Is he one of the best managers still after 10 years away from a game? Also no

That's the problem with the hire. Sox should've been looking for someone who was at the top of his game still. Sure Tony is better than 15-20 other managers out there, but the Sox needed someone who was elite in 2021.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Of the guys that were out there last year and got hired, who was better than LaRussa? The guy who were at their peak were already managing.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Of the guys that were out there last year and got hired, who was better than LaRussa? The guy who were at their peak were already managing.

trade for one then

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
um AJ Hinch? He got 77 wins out of a AAA team.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Caller Bob wrote:
um AJ Hinch? He got 77 wins out of a AAA team.

He’d have muted Sox fans’ ability to blame losing to Houston on garbage cans.

It’d be like the GOP nominating Romney during an election where the animating issue was healthcare reform.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
He (Hinch) was clearly the most qualified, available hire.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Caller Bob wrote:
He (Hinch) was clearly the most qualified, available hire.

I hate to agree with a troll, but you're right. That being said, LaRussa is better than Renteria and Ventura (who, next to Bevington is the worst manager they've had in the past 40 years).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Warren Newson wrote:
That being said, LaRussa is better than Renteria

Not by any tangible metric.

2020 "Raw Deal" Renteria > 2021 Tony LaRussa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

My blood pressure was a tangible metric.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:42 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Carlos Rodon thrown under duress was way different last year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Carlos Rodon thrown under duress was way different last year.

That was probably the thing that got Raw Deal fired.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
If Tony is the manager in '22 the Sox will be behind the 8 ball a lot with his lapses, and questionable moves. That's a shame for a team on the up. Watched a lot of Schildt. He'd be a good fit as the Sox manager. Hopefully the Sox window will be longer than Theo's-Cubs. Hahn has to let Kimbrel be his last bonehead move.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
He's back. No longer an if.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:49 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
He's back. No longer an if.

TA and Pito both sung his praises in exit interviews for the season so yep he's back

I'd honestly love to grab Shildt, who Tony literally called the best manager in baseball when asked about him in May.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:55 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I'm fine with TLR, but his use of the pitching staff in the playoffs was questionable at best. He put guys in situations where they had shown that they were likely to fail.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:07 am 

Nas wrote:
I'm fine with TLR, but his use of the pitching staff in the playoffs was questionable at best. He put guys in situations where they had shown that they were likely to fail.

at the end of the day, his starters couldn't get outs so I'm not putting that on Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Nas wrote:

at the end of the day, his starters couldn't get outs so I'm not putting that on Tony.

I am. Lynn shouldn't have been the Game 1 starter. There should not have been a gut or any data that said that was a good idea. Zeus gave TLR the chance to completely avoid Rodon, because Rodon was literally focused on getting paid in the off-season, but TLR knew better. Crochet showed that the moment was too big for him in Game 1. What does TLR do in a winnable Game 2? Run him out there again when Kopech was fresh and a better option.

When you put your team in the best position to fail, I'm not going to place the lion's share of the blame on the players when that happens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:30 am 

Nas wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Nas wrote:

I am. Lynn shouldn't have been the Game 1 starter. There should not have been a gut or any data that said that was a good idea. Zeus gave TLR the chance to completely avoid Rodon, because Rodon was literally focused on getting paid in the off-season, but TLR knew better. Crochet showed that the moment was too big for him in Game 1. What does TLR do in a winnable Game 2? Run him out there again when Kopech was fresh and a better option.

When you put your team in the best position to fail, I'm not going to place the lion's share of the blame on the players when that happens.

Kopech wasn’t exactly lights out down the stretch and showed as much in G4.

And that was in a park where the astros weren’t relentlessly cheating…probably.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:10 pm 

Nas wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Nas wrote:

They were outscored 31 to 18 for the series. That is a complete and total failure on the part of the players. There was not one phase of the game (starting pitching, relief pitching, hitting, base running, and defense) in which the players' performance was above average. Tony could have managed everything flawlessly and the outcome of the series would not have changed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

Warren Newson wrote:
Nas wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Nas wrote:

They were outscored 31 to 18 for the series. That is a complete and total failure on the part of the players. There was not one phase of the game (starting pitching, relief pitching, hitting, base running, and defense) in which the players' performance was above average. Tony could have managed everything flawlessly and the outcome of the series would not have changed.

It's not surprising that they were outscored when TLR put the pitchers in a position to fail. Stevie Wonder could see that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:51 pm 

Nas wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Nas wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Nas wrote:

It's not surprising that they were outscored when TLR put the pitchers in a position to fail. Stevie Wonder could see that.

All of the starting pitchers were bad. If you start Lynn in Game 2 instead of Game 1, I think you get the same result. Also, virtually no one was talking about starting Cease or Rodon ahead of Lynn or Gioltio. Therefore, rejiggering the order in that respect was not an option. We also saw the same garbage from the bullpen that we've seen all year. Further, TLR's managing doesn't account for the lack of offense.

I would like it if you were right, and fixing the problems with this team would be as simple as fixing the manager, but I don't think you're right. Either everyone just randomly had a bad series, in which case the next playoff series could have a different outcome, or they have assembled a team of guys who don't play well in the bright lights. Time will tell which of these scenarios is correct.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Nas wrote:

Lets take a look at the better option Kopech's postseason.
3 IP 7H 6ER ERA of 18.

Stop posting about baseball if youre going to have moronic thoughts . We already have whistler.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I can't believe one Sox fan here wanted TLR as their first choice to manage the Sox in '21 when his name surfaced. He just got out managed by imbecile Dusty Baker.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Nas wrote:

Lets take a look at the better option Kopech's postseason.
3 IP 7H 6ER ERA of 18.

Stop posting about baseball if youre going to have moronic thoughts . We already have whistler.

Throwing Kopech out there when the series was virtually over means that he would have struggled just like Crochet did in a winnable Game 2?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26