It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lance Lynn to the Sox
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:52 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
for Dunning and Weems.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Probably fair given the team's position. They need someone who can consistently go 6 and save their bullpen given the youth at the 4 and 5 starter spots. Dunning should be fine given time to grow in a Rangers rotation that isn't expected to do much in the next two years, and Weems as a throw in mitigates any injury concerns about Dunning.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:54 am 

Congrats on the Cy Young in a few years Dane Dunning.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
james shields trade version 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
billypootons wrote:
james shields trade version 2.0

How so? Dunning is about to be 26yrs old. Weems is nothing special.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The Sox have a plethora of young pitchers with higher upside than Dunning so young pitchers who haven't yet proven they are reliable rotation mainstays is something they can afford to part with to get a sure fire top 2. At this point, Keuchel is your #3 next year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:18 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The Sox have a plethora of young pitchers with higher upside than Dunning so young pitchers who haven't yet proven they are reliable rotation mainstays is something they can afford to part with to get a sure fire top 2. At this point, Keuchel is your #3 next year.

He is in quality but R-L-R slots him in at #2.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Keuchel is better than Lynn

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
FavreFan wrote:
Keuchel is better than Lynn

You can make that case either way, but it's a nice discussion to be able to have when putting this rotation together.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Marie's
As soon as the sox trade Dunning, he turns from a great prospect to a bum. Predictable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Phil Leotardo wrote:
As soon as the sox trade Dunning, he turns from a great prospect to a bum. Predictable.

Imaginary message board. Can't say I'm surprised.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Looking at Lynn's stats he's a solid addition. But, only one year left on his contract is a concern. Only making 8 mil. So 3 years would of been ideal. And for Dunning your #4 prospect. That where I'm not a big fan of rent a player. Then Lynn could be resigned, he not going to ever break the bank.

Will Hahn go full Theo depleting the fam system? It's imperative the Sox keep drafting well, and making great international signings to extend the competive window. Theo bankrupted the Cubs franchise to cover his mistakes. Hahn has Theo's template as a reminder that disaster is right around the corner if too many blunders pile up. And Hahn
please! please! no getting swindled on 8 year contracts to bums like Jason Heyward who are nooses around franchises necks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:31 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
And Hahn please! please! no getting swindled on 8 year contracts to bums like Jason Heyward who are nooses around franchises necks.

Yikes...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Heard Lynn interviewed by Parkins and Spiegs. Interview was great and connection to LaRussa explained. Also my first read was right after hearing about beards, betting, golf and tree stands. This guy is somewhere between Lackey and Buerhle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Bernstein talking about Lynn "tunneling" his high spin rate four seam fastball with his cutter, release point, not throwing the sinker as much. Bernstein, of course, now is a Lance Lynn expert.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:58 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Who are the plethora of young pitchers with higher upside then Dunning? Serious World Series franchises aim for Bauer and Springer. You got Lynn and Eaton :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I watched Lynn for years when he was with St. Louis. He's fastball, fastball, fastball. He was solid. They should have kept him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:11 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
pittmike wrote:
Heard Lynn interviewed by Parkins and Spiegs. Interview was great and connection to LaRussa explained. Also my first read was right after hearing about beards, betting, golf and tree stands. This guy is somewhere between Lackey and Buerhle.

I wonder what questions Leila Rahimi would have for Lynn?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Juiced wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Who are the plethora of young pitchers with higher upside then Dunning? Serious World Series franchises aim for Bauer and Springer. You got Lynn and Eaton :lol:

Really? What is Dunning's best case upside? Kyle Hendricks? I doubt he's that good. I'm not really worried about trading Soft Tossing Joe for a guy with a .600 winning percentage in over 200 career starts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Juiced wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Crochet, Kopech, Cease, Kelly?

The off season isn't over either. I bet they have one more big move left. If they got Snell from Tampa that would be an offseason. Schwarber would be a nice fuck you to the Cubs as the organization seem to be in a strange cycle of taking staff from each other right now.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:59 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The off season isn't over either. I bet they have one more big move left. If they got Snell from Tampa that would be an offseason. Schwarber would be a nice fuck you to the Cubs as the organization seem to be in a strange cycle of taking staff from each other right now.

Schwarber is probably who they should have signed over Eaton for the money they paid. They will sign Quintana

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
conns7901 wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Schwarber is probably who they should have signed over Eaton for the money they paid. They will sign Quintana

If they only get Eaton it will be a disappointment, but they essentially used the money slotted for Encarnacion on Eaton. If he sucks they have another option. It looks like a depth move.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:53 am 

Juiced wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

add Stevier and Thompson to that list as well.

Their next get is Liam Hendriks, possibly the best closer in the league the last two years. The word is they are putting the finishing touches on a three year deal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
The Trib had a nice summary of what Lynn brings to the Sox...

The Chicago White Sox wanted to add a proven and dependable pitcher to their rotation.
They did just that late Monday, acquiring veteran right-hander Lance Lynn in a trade with the Texas Rangers.
Lynn finished fifth in American League Cy Young Award voting in 2019 and sixth in the 2020 voting.
“Those who have followed him know how dominant Lance has been over the last couple of seasons with Texas,” Sox general manager Rick Hahn said Tuesday during a conference call. “Some of that transition occurs toward the end of the 2018 season when he was acquired by the Yankees. Since that point, he’s been one of the better pitchers in all of baseball.
“We feel he provides us not only another alternative at the front of the rotation but a positive clubhouse presence and someone that we look forward to relying on not only over the course of the regular season but hopefully deep into October as well.”

Lynn has a 104-71 career record with a 3.57 ERA in 260 outings (236 starts) for the St. Louis Cardinals (2011-17), Minnesota Twins (2018), New York Yankees (2018) and Rangers (2019-20).
When asked about his reaction to the trade, Lynn said he was “excited.”
“When you saw what this team was able to do and you’ve seen it coming, to be a part of it, it’s exciting,” he said. “I like to win and I’m looking forward to having that opportunity.”

Here are four stats that highlight Lynn’s successful 2020 season:
-Lynn tied for the major-league lead with 13 starts in the pandemic-shortened season. He was tied for fifth in the AL in 2019 with 33 starts.

-Lynn has made at least 30 starts in a season five times, and his 33 starts in 2017 for the Cardinals tied for first in the National League.

-He made 29 starts and six appearances out of the bullpen during his All-Star season in 2012 with the Cardinals.

-He also made 29 starts while with the Twins and Yankees in 2018. That season included two more outings in a relief role.

Making the starts is one thing. Going deep in the games is another, and Lynn constantly has shown the ability to eat up innings.
 He led baseball with 84 innings pitched in 2020 and was tied for fourth in the AL with a career-high 208⅓ innings in 2019.
 Lynn pitched 201⅔ innings in 2013 and 203⅔ the next season. He has pitched 1,426⅔ innings for his career.
He has thrown 100-plus pitches a major league-best 44 times since 2019 and is second in starts of six-plus innings (36) and seven-plus innings (21).
“When you look at a guy like Lynn and his track record and durability over the course of the season, he’s an extremely strong stalwart piece of a quality rotation,” Hahn said. “Given again where we are as an organization and what we think we are capable of doing in 2021, being able to know that every fifth day is someone like Lance is going to be, health permitting, able to take the ball, that’s an important element to this deal.”

Lynn finished fifth in the AL with 89 strikeouts. His new teammate Lucas Giolito was second in the league with 97 strikeouts in 72⅓ innings.
Lynn had a career-high 246 strikeouts in 2019, finishing fourth in the AL. Giolito was seventh with 228 strikeouts in 176⅔ innings.
Lynn has placed in the top 10 in strikeouts per nine innings four times in his career, twice in the NL (2012-13) and twice in the AL (2019-20). He was 10th in the AL in 2020 (9.54).
Lynn said he was looking forward to the friendly rivalries and pushing each other when asked about joining a staff with Giolito and Dallas Keuchel.
“We’ve got to make sure we’re all keeping each other accountable and keep going,” Lynn said.
Lynn was 10th in the AL with a 3.32 ERA in 2020. He was seventh in the AL in ERA (3.67) in 2019.
He began 2020 with 18 consecutive scoreless innings and went 4-1 with a 1.93 ERA in his first eight starts.
Lynn was third in the AL with a 2.53 ERA entering his final start on Sept. 24 against the Houston Astros, but he allowed nine runs in 5⅔ innings.
“His last start was pretty rough and it messed up the numbers for that month so I think if you go start-by-start it’s a little better than just the full month,” Hahn said when asked of Lynn’s September. “We looked at everything and know where he sits in terms of the elements of his pitches and what’s reasonable to project going forward. Feel pretty good about this one, knock on wood.”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Really? What is Dunning's best case upside? Kyle Hendricks?

Lance Lynn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Lance Lynn.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Lance Lynn.

My argument has been we traded Lance Lynn for 1 year of Lance Lynn. So either extend this fucker 2 years or get to the world series this year. If neither of those things happen, it was a god awful trade.

Now, if we go throw a pile of money at Bauer, Dane Dunning will be dead to me. Fuck him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Lance Lynn.

My argument has been we traded Lance Lynn for 1 year of Lance Lynn. So either extend this fucker 2 years or get to the world series this year. If neither of those things happen, it was a god awful trade.

Now, if we go throw a pile of money at Bauer, Dane Dunning will be dead to me. Fuck him.

Well, I'm not a guy who is enamored with "stuff" so I don't have an issue with guys like Dunning, but they're at a decided disadvantage right off the bat when compared with guys who can really throw it. I highly doubt Dunning will ever be as good as Lynn. But who knows? Maybe he's Maddux. If I had to bet I'd say he'll likely have a career that looks like Quintana. I can live with losing him in order to get a better guy and go for it. Even if it's just one year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:56 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Lance Lynn.

Well, I'm not a guy who is enamored with "stuff" so I don't have an issue with guys like Dunning, but they're at a decided disadvantage right off the bat when compared with guys who can really throw it. I highly doubt Dunning will ever be as good as Lynn. But who knows? Maybe he's Maddux. If I had to bet I'd say he'll likely have a career that looks like Quintana. I can live with losing him in order to get a better guy and go for it. Even if it's just one year.

Above average stuff. With command. With a good mind. There's only a handful of Verlanders. There always will only be a handful. Those guys are a pipe dream because of genetics. They burn bright and fizzle. I'd have much rather given up Cease or Kopech but I suspect the Rangers wanted Dunning.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Lance Lynn.

Above average stuff. With command. With a good mind. There's only a handful of Verlanders. There always will only be a handful. Those guys are a pipe dream because of genetics. They burn bright and fizzle. I'd have much rather given up Cease or Kopech but I suspect the Rangers wanted Dunning.

I don't really think he has above average stuff. He's a soft tosser. Like a Buehrle but righthanded. Both Cease and Kopech have far more upside. Maybe Dunning will turn out to have a better career than either of those guys. In fact, that's probably a safe bet. But you can always find a guy like Dunning.