It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
This is awesome

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NFlvc6AfB0

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Smart move by Tony to pull him after 5 and only 80 pitches so that he can go on short rest vs Cleveland and bury the tribe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:49 am 

reminds me of the guys from the 2005 team

This is why Dunning was not an overpay. They needed a guy who was going to be in the Cy Young discussion from Day 1, not a competent starter for six years. No one would go into a playoff game facing Dunning this year thinking they were overmatched

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:

This is why Dunning was not an overpay. They needed a guy who was going to be in the Cy Young discussion from Day 1, not a competent starter for six years. No one would go into a playoff game facing Dunning this year thinking they were overmatched

You seem sure the White Sox are going to the WS this year. If they do, then you are right. If they don't and Lynn moves on, then you're wrong. This is how this trade will be judged. Simply. And this is with Lynn begrudgingly becoming my favorite pitcher in all of MLB.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: John's
2021 fWAR

Dane Dunning 1.4
Lance Lynn 1.7

You traded SIX years of cost controlled Dunning for 1 year of Lynn and SLIGHTLY better performance. If Dunning keeps it up, it will be total rape of the Sox by the Rangers.

(just facts, I'll wait for the board lunatic to reply with "Fucking Imbecile")

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:33 am 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
just facts
Even more facts;
2021 Dunning; 2-4, 4.26 ERA, 57IP, 60H, 19BB, 61K, 1.386 WHIP, 1.0 WAR
2021 Lynn; 7-1, 1.23 ERA, 58.2 IP, 37H, 17BB, 63K, 0.92 WHIP, 2.2 WAR

"SLIGHTLY better" would not be the correct phrase to use in describing those two performances thus far.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:37 am 

You used BR's WAR which is less favorable to Dunning, but Fangraphs WAR has them much closer. I doubt Dunning is going to have a 350 BAPIP on him all year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:38 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You seem sure the White Sox are going to the WS this year. If they do, then you are right. If they don't and Lynn moves on, then you're wrong. This is how this trade will be judged. Simply. And this is with Lynn begrudgingly becoming my favorite pitcher in all of MLB.

I think that's wrong though. Lynn was the right move whether they win this year or not. The move was made to win even if it doesn't work out. And the downside is low. There isn't real a place for Dunning (or Lynn) after this season. The rotation next year is going to feature Kopech and Crochet.

I don't think we can slam the Sox for being cheap and also slam them when they make the move that isn't cheap. I'm 57 years old. I've lost a season and a half to COVID and at least five to tanking. I don't want any more seasons thrown away.

I was just arguing with a Cub fan friend who wants the Cubs to lose so they will trade away assets. This might be their best chance to win a World Series in the next ten years. Maybe it isn't, but I don't get 60 year old guys begging their team to tank seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:41 am 
100000 CLUB

More facts;
Dunning hasn't won a game in a month, and has only pitched past the 5th inning twice.
Lynn has five wins over the last month, and has pitched past the 5th inning in six of his ten starts.

rApEd!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:43 am 

I wonder if Dunning winning less games has to do with the fact he plays on a team that is less good?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:45 am 
100000 CLUB

You said Lynn was "slightly better" using a cherry picked advanced metric. Dunning is significantly worse than Lynn in ERA, WHIP, WAR, and hits allowed. None of that has to do with the team he plays for.

You're less good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Worth noting 1 of those games Lynn didn't go past the 5th was due to the fact they were going to put him on short rest for his next start to keep the rotation intact after a double header. He was cruising in that start and only at 80 pitches.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:49 am 

Dunning is better in FIP and xFIP while appears to have been very unlucky a 350 BAPIP juxtaposed with Lynn who has seemingly been pretty lucky with a .215 BAPIP. Lynn has had the better season but it's alot closer if you dig deeper. Barring Dunning tearing his shoulder to shreds, this could be a very bad trade if Lynn walks after this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:51 am 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
Lynn has had the better season but it's alot closer if you dig deeper.
Its not close. At all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
just facts
Even more facts;
2021 Dunning; 2-4, 4.26 ERA, 57IP, 60H, 19BB, 61K, 1.386 WHIP, 1.0 WAR
2021 Lynn; 7-1, 1.23 ERA, 58.2 IP, 37H, 17BB, 63K, 0.92 WHIP, 2.2 WAR

"SLIGHTLY better" would not be the correct phrase to use in describing those two performances thus far.

:lol:

RIP Bob

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:53 am 

They are also striking the same amount of guys per 9 innings while Dunning is giving up less home runs per 9 innings, you don't want to dig deeper because it will suck when you see that Dunning is locked in on the cheap for the next 6 years while Lynn will walk when Jerry doesn't wanna pay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
I wonder if Dunning winning less games has to do with the fact he plays on a team that is less good?

One of the reasons his team is less good is because he is pitching for it rather than Lance Lynn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Lynn is better than Dunning this year. Signing Bauer would have been better is all.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
They are also striking the same amount of guys per 9 innings while Dunning is giving up less home runs per 9 innings, you don't want to dig deeper because it will suck when you see that Dunning is locked in on the cheap for the next 6 years while Lynn will walk when Jerry doesn't wanna pay.
There is no reason to dig deeper. Even with your cherry picked advanced metric, Lynn is better. You want to hang your hat on a guy with a 4+ ERA and a 1.36 WHIP. That is "slightly" better than Arrieta. Lynn's career K/9 is 9.0, so he is doing what he has done K wise through his career. Lynn with his 1.23 ERA and 0.92 WHIP is having a significantly better season. A far superior season thus far. Their contracts or team control has nothing to do with that.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Caller Bob wrote:

If he were a better pitcher he would win more games.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:11 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think that's wrong though. Lynn was the right move whether they win this year or not. The move was made to win even if it doesn't work out. And the downside is low. There isn't real a place for Dunning (or Lynn) after this season. The rotation next year is going to feature Kopech and Crochet.

I don't think we can slam the Sox for being cheap and also slam them when they make the move that isn't cheap. I'm 57 years old. I've lost a season and a half to COVID and at least five to tanking. I don't want any more seasons thrown away.

I was just arguing with a Cub fan friend who wants the Cubs to lose so they will trade away assets. This might be their best chance to win a World Series in the next ten years. Maybe it isn't, but I don't get 60 year old guys begging their team to tank seasons.

It's only wrong if you've decided Dunning is run of the mill. So next year, without a 2021 WS appearance(they don't have to win it, the trade is worth it even without a parade), and without Lynn, is Cease, Gioilto, Kopech, Crochet, and Keuchel. That's 3 five and fly guys. No, that's not good enough. Whatever Lynn wants, give it to him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
Or it could be that Lynn has five wins over the last month because in those six starts he gave up a total of 3 earned runs (0, 0, 2, 0, 0, and 1) while covering 34 innings. And as Ogie pointed out, this could easily be 36 or 37 innings.

Meanwhile Dunning, who hasn't had a win since May 9, gave up a total of 17 earned runs (2, 2, 4, 7, 0, and 2) while covering 28.2 innings.

I hope Dunning has a nice career and wins a shit ton of games, except when he goes against the Sox. He seemed like a great kid and fought thru an injury to get to the bigs. The only one getting raped in this thread is Bob. If nothing else, he's used to it at this point.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It's only wrong if you've decided Dunning is run of the mill. So next year, without a 2021 WS appearance(they don't have to win it, the trade is worth it even without a parade), and without Lynn, is Cease, Gioilto, Kopech, Crochet, and Keuchel. That's 3 five and fly guys. No, that's not good enough. Whatever Lynn wants, give it to him.

I think it's obvious Dunning is run of the mill. Also, at some point you have to believe in the guys you're drafting and give them a chance. I would start next season like you said- Giolito-Keuchel-Kopech-Cease-Crochet and you can make an in-season move for the best pitcher available if you need to.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:28 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think it's obvious Dunning is run of the mill. Also, at some point you have to believe in the guys you're drafting and give them a chance. I would start next season like you said- Giolito-Keuchel-Kopech-Cease-Crochet and you can make an in-season move for the best pitcher available if you need to.

I'm not going to get back into the argument about all the reasons Dunning will be good vs he only throws 93. Maybe he should start gluing his fingers to the seams.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

One of the reasons his team is less good is because he is pitching for it rather than Lance Lynn.

The Texas Rangers are on pace to win the same amount of games in 2021 as 2020 despite trading for a worse pitcher. Weird...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

The Texas Rangers are on pace to win the same amount of games in 2021 as 2020 despite trading for a worse pitcher. Weird...

Considering the 2021 season is 102 games longer I'm not surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Considering the 2021 season is 102 games longer I'm not surprised.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

The 2021 White Sox have already won more games than they did all of last year! Including the playoffs!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Caller Bob wrote:
2021 fWAR

Dane Dunning 1.4
Lance Lynn 1.7

You traded SIX years of cost controlled Dunning for 1 year of Lynn and SLIGHTLY better performance. If Dunning keeps it up, it will be total rape of the Sox by the Rangers.

(just facts, I'll wait for the board lunatic to reply with "Fucking Imbecile")

Sounds like the diphit stats that said Quintana was actually really good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next