It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Caller Bob wrote:
Cutting in front of vulnerable old people so they can die isn't integrity, Frank Cuomo.

The vaccine was distributed (in the U.S.) to old people in a quick and efficient manner. I am not sure Frank getting the shot early prevented any senior from being denied a shot.

If I had the vitriol that you do for Frank, I could think of a dozen things with more teeth to go after him. I applaud Frank getting the shot early, and if I recall, his wife is a healthcare worker. That makes the shot even more critical for him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: John's
It's not lashing out. Just pointing out your cowardly/selfish actions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:07 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
It was definitely interesting to hear the way LaRussa is thought of on a national level/national broadcast vs. the way he was received in Chicago. bernstein has a lot of influence here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:09 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Caller Bob wrote:
Just pointing out your cowardly actions.
There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At concerts, you probably clap on "1" and "3" don't you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It was definitely interesting to hear the way LaRussa is thought of on a national level/national broadcast vs. the way he was received in Chicago. bernstein has a lot of influence here.

He is a very good manager even at his age. I would never have hired someone that old for a team this young with such a long runway. But it would have been a big risk to try to hire some flavor of the day young data driven manager. At least you got a got who speaks both main languages and knows how to win.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I thought it was really dumb at the time given his age.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:22 am 
Site Admin

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I thought it was really dumb at the time given his age.

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled. I've never liked LaRussa much anyway.

But come on. His record speaks for itself. And you can't find many players that ever said he was terrible, if any. I think he had beef with J.D. Drew. The idea that he can't manage minorities is absurd.

A guy can't stay in one place that long by agitating his players. There are guys like Guillen and Maddon and Billy Martin who come in like a house on fire and shake up a team, but after a few years they wear the players out. LaRussa ain't that guy. He's more like Walter Alston.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:26 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I think its clear LaRussa needed 15 games or so to get his feet wet. What he has been able to do with all of this team's injuries is just about a miracle. Some of it is just baseball magic, but some of it clearly is a manager who knows what he is doing and knows when and when not to push certain buttons. Even the bunts have been fewer and further between as of late.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucky Lil's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Yeah, I wasn't thrilled. I've never liked LaRussa much anyway.

But come on. His record speaks for itself. And you can't find many players that ever said he was terrible, if any. I think he had beef with J.D. Drew. The idea that he can't manage minorities is absurd.

A guy can't stay in one place that long by agitating his players. There are guys like Guillen and Maddon and Billy Martin who come in like a house on fire and shake up a team, but after a few years they wear the players out. LaRussa ain't that guy. He's more like Walter Alston.

Well the unfortunate part here is that no matter how successful Tony LaRussa is from a championship perspective (and let's be real, where the Sox are right now the expectation is a title) he's not going to last longer than Ozzie or Merlot Joe. Not because of anything to do with LaRussa's character but because he's almost eighty years old.

The Sox are going to be looking for a new manager before long, but maybe in these two or three years that they have LaRussa with this team they pile on enough success that they build something sustainable. Its going to be very difficult because in that same time frame is when you can expect Jose Abreu to retire or lose enough effectiveness that he can't play every day.

So yeah I'd be enjoy this while you still can because its probably not going to last much longer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

I think Jerry figured he and LaRussa are two old guys who had a fair enough chance to win a World Series together in the next two seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
If they voted on postseason awards now, Tony has to be Manager of the Year. It's one thing if he did this with the roster that was mapped out, but the guy lost something like his top 5 outfielders on his depth chart and managed to get to this point.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucky Lil's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think Jerry figured he and LaRussa are two old guys who had a fair enough chance to win a World Series together in the next two seasons.

There was more thought put into it than that, which is why the Sox are still cruising along this season despite being absolutely destroyed by injuries.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If they voted on postseason awards now, Tony has to be Manager of the Year. It's one thing if he did this with the roster that was mapped out, but the guy lost something like his top 5 outfielders on his depth chart and managed to get to this point.

:lol: :lol: But I thought he was old, the game has passed him by, cant relate to todays players ?? Lost the clubhouse , wears a white hood in his office .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The Great Northern wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There was more thought put into it than that, which is why the Sox are still cruising along this season despite being absolutely destroyed by injuries.

Dan Bernstein and Jeff Passen knew what was better for the White Sox than Jerry .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:54 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous, Lord Stanley's, DeKalb Rock City
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Don't you worry, Caller Bob will become infamous when he's designated as Patient Zero for the Hickory Hills variant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:37 am 
Site Admin

The Great Northern wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I'm gonna say there wasn't. Which is why Hahn looked like a wide receiver who had just been blindsided by Jack Tatum at that press conference.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:38 am 
Site Admin

McCareins_Fan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Don't you worry, Caller Bob will become infamous when he's designated as Patient Zero for the Hickory Hills variant.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:38 am 

Joe Maddon worked out for the Cubs so the Sox found a guy who was old and loved to drink. That's analytics.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:41 am 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
Joe Maddon worked out for the Cubs so the Sox found a guy who was old and loved to drink. That's analytics.

Every Cub fan I know now thinks Joe Maddon is an idiot and the Cubs did what they've only done once in 100 years in spite of him. That's exactly how much a manager matters.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:55 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Maddon's moves have been baffling. I wish we'd launch him and bring back Scioscia.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:06 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

In cbs mid season poll, I think he was fifth in AL manager of the year voting.

Expect the triangular headed jeff passan to ramp up his hatchet job on Larussa if it looks like he might win the award. by the way, how did he ever become some moral conscious of baseball?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:05 am 

I don't see the TLR haters acknowledging this, but Lynn signing has a lot to do with Larussa.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
good dolphin wrote:
I don't see the TLR haters acknowledging this, but Lynn signing has a lot to do with Larussa.

I'm sure it's being filed for later use when Lynn falls apart.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: joes pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

incorrect

Gabe Kapler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
moonpies wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

incorrect

Gabe Kapler

If the Giants hold on, yes. If not, TLR. Either way, Julie will be pissed.