It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:30 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/w ... story.html

I've never been to Comiskey (I was supposed to change that last summer and don't have high hopes for getting to do so this year), but I feel like some criticism of the original design is too harsh. In the years since it opened, with neo-retro ballparks designing goofy outfields that have no real constraints to make them the way they are (Arlington, twice since then, comes to mind), I can appreciate the honest symmetry of a park that didn't need to accommodate anything around it but parking. I just wish the fences were a little deeper, maybe something like 340-385-400-385-340, maybe some higher walls along the lines. Yeah, the upper deck was too big and too far from the field, but I like that it's basically a grittier Kauffman Stadium.

I think getting rid of the blue seats was the right move for obvious reasons, but dark grey would have been unique to the Sox. Everyone does forest green. I don't like the ivy on the batter's eye, which, like all the blue was, is too North Side at this point. They should have done something a little different, but that's admittedly a small detail. Repainting the outfield girders from white to black was a good aesthetic decision.

Anyway, back to staying out of White Sox business.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Best ballpark in Chicago to go see a game.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
We went to a game in June of 1991, and went up to the last row of the upper deck looking North, man, that WAS up there. I love being able to drive over from Michigan and park right outside the park and walk up and buy a ticket, but that also means the team probably isn't great and the place is 30% full, a real Catch-22. I don't get to be there that often that any of the changes you have listed nor their previous iterations have really made an impression on me, good or bad. But, I recognize I'm just a Rube from over the border (not THAT Rube at least), and don't qualify as high-falootin' City folk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Cannot disagree much with the article. .
Before the renovations, it was functional with nice amenities. The renovations after the US Cellular branding really did a nice job. Aesthetically, the outfield fences are much nicer, but yes....they're too shallow.

Current state it's a very nice ballpark. It may not be the best, but I'll take it as it is. There are many I've yet so see, but I have been to several. For all the love Cleveland got for their ballpark, I don't think it's any nicer.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore are the ones that I really want to see that appear to be top tier.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
How has the food been at Comiskey this year so far? It's usually very good, but when I went to a Cubs game a week ago, I was horrified at how bad the food was at Wrigley. I attributed the total absence of specialty food stands to the restricted capacity, but it was just bad. The hot dogs were cold and the buns rock hard. That there were no lines was small consolation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:22 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-ballpark-30th-anniversary-20210418-yjmchbsjrrautfyscg5ykgwylm-story.html

I've never been to Comiskey (I was supposed to change that last summer and don't have high hopes for getting to do so this year), but I feel like some criticism of the original design is too harsh. In the years since it opened, with neo-retro ballparks designing goofy outfields that have no real constraints to make them the way they are (Arlington, twice since then, comes to mind), I can appreciate the honest symmetry of a park that didn't need to accommodate anything around it but parking. I just wish the fences were a little deeper, maybe something like 340-385-400-385-340, maybe some higher walls along the lines. Yeah, the upper deck was too big and too far from the field, but I like that it's basically a grittier Kauffman Stadium.

I think getting rid of the blue seats was the right move for obvious reasons, but dark grey would have been unique to the Sox. Everyone does forest green. I don't like the ivy on the batter's eye, which, like all the blue was, is too North Side at this point. They should have done something a little different, but that's admittedly a small detail. Repainting the outfield girders from white to black was a good aesthetic decision.

Anyway, back to staying out of White Sox business.

I went to the opening series against Detroit. I saw a couple of people slip on the stairs, and one person have to sit because they were so dizzy. It was really bad in the top rows of the upper deck. The remodeling helped a lot. Really it's a very Reinsdorf stadium. A naked money grab that cut corners. It's a stadium for a team that always finishes second.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:14 pm 

"Right-sizing" is an annoying term, but I think cutting capacity from 47,000 to 41,000 by eliminating lousy seats was the right thing to do. That's still a respectable capacity for a major-league team. I remember there was a plan for a new Rays park that would seat like 28,000 or something. That's closer to a Hawks game than a Cubs game.

At least they didn't move to the suburbs. Despite the ocean of parking, Comiskey is quietly more accessible by rail than Wrigley is (the Rock island 35th stop gives easy rail access to Beverly and the south burbs). I would hate to see either team move out of the city proper.

I don't like how the Fun-damentals deck blows the symmetry of the place. They either should have built an identical deck in right or not built one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
They turned a lemon of a park with the world's worst view into a decent place to see a game.

Next time, don't fritter away the free views of the skyline.

Half the people in Beverly/Mt. Greenwood/EP are Cubs fans, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I've been to a handful of the retro parks that were built after New Comiskey (Baltimore, Detroit, and Philadelphia). The experience of watching a game in all of those places is really no different than watching a game at Comiskey. If you want to give Baltimore credit for being in a cool area, that's fine, but when you're actually sitting in a seat and watching the game, the area is not really doing anything for you.

The most pleasantly surprising ball park experience I had was Dodger Stadium. It has a modern feel and great views of the hills in the distance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:25 am 

The concourse is a great, understated feature. I think it has become underutilized in the OF since they started closing off the lower deck to upper deck ticket holders. The site lines are excellent. The food has always been top notch.

It is a pretty sterile ballpark. It's fine. Nothing you would embrace.

The lower deck has always been pretty good and the upper deck has always sucked. That is pure Reinsdorf, as he wanted to maximize the number of luxury suites, which, obviously, have had almost no season ticket holder market. I read somewhere that even after the world series there were some of those suites that never were built out due to lack of interest. I think those have now become clubs.

I do love the accessibility of the stadium to public transportation and expressways. Easy in and out even on big days.

I know the Sox lack of popularity hurts the team down the line but I really enjoy deciding to go at a moments notice, packing everyone up, parking in the neighborhood somewhere and walking up to buy a ticket.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
It's a good ballpark and and the premium seat experiences are nice to indulge in from time to time. I have sat everywhere from the Scout Seats to the furthest corner of the 500 level and always have good sightlines for whatever is happening in the game.

The food is top notch and something I have yet to seen surpassed at another park. Sure it isn't the prettiest place architecturally, but it's a very functional ballpark with a very underrated fan experience.

Patio parties are a great way to spend batting practice while you enjoy a buffet of food before heading to your seats.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:56 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
It's a good ballpark and and the premium seat experiences are nice to indulge in from time to time. I have sat everywhere from the Scout Seats to the furthest corner of the 500 level and always have good sightlines for whatever is happening in the game.

The food is top notch and something I have yet to seen surpassed at another park. Sure it isn't the prettiest place architecturally, but it's a very functional ballpark with a very underrated fan experience.

Patio parties are a great way to spend batting practice while you enjoy a buffet of food before heading to your seats.

All true. I love the place. Just wish they had taken advantage of the skyline. Also, probably has the jiggliest Latinas outside Dodger Stadium and whatever they call the Big A now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:36 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
thomas wrote:
Just wish they had taken advantage of the skyline.
Exactly. If the park were turned around and some of the outfield signage was cut down, great views of the city and the Lake would have given the ballpark and entirely different feel.

I still maintain that the Sox/City work together to have a Metra SWS stop on at the tracks on the west side of the park.

The Patio parties are novel, but I much prefer to tailgate on the outside. There are picnic tables in Lot A that we have utilized after taking the Rock Island in from the suburbs. Pack sandwiches in a styrofoam cooler, or a cheap disposable grill for hotdogs. Like gd said, outside of maybe 6-7 games a year, this can be done at a moment's notice. Hopefully that is the case at some point this season.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:50 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
The concourse is a great, understated feature. I think it has become underutilized in the OF since they started closing off the lower deck to upper deck ticket holders. The site lines are excellent. The food has always been top notch.

The lower deck has always been pretty good and the upper deck has always sucked. That is pure Reinsdorf, as he wanted to maximize the number of luxury suites, which, obviously, have had almost no season ticket holder market. I read somewhere that even after the world series there were some of those suites that never were built out due to lack of interest. I think those have now become clubs.

I do love the accessibility of the stadium to public transportation and expressways. Easy in and out even on big days.

I know the Sox lack of popularity hurts the team down the line but I really enjoy deciding to go at a moments notice, packing everyone up, parking in the neighborhood somewhere and walking up to buy a ticket.

I don't really understand what that means. Obviously, I've heard the park described that way many times. Does it mean clean? I'm sure it doesn't. It's a genuine ballpark. It's not a faux throwback trying to be a Disneyesque version of Wrigley or Fenway like so many of the parks that came soon after it.

The fetishization of ballparks is something that didn't happen until all the old parks were gone and only Wrigley and Fenway- arguably the two shittiest ones- remained. Up until I was in my twenties I never gave any thought to the ballpark. It was just the place where your team played. Cub fans go to Wrigley. Sox fans go to Comiskey. Yankee fans go to Yankee Stadium.

I think some of it is driven, like so many other things, by Boomers. As they moved into middle age and many of them accumulated great wealth, going to a ballgame and having a hot dog and a beer and sitting on bleachers just wasn't good enough. They wanted a "ballpark experience." It's like people that go to an alleged rock show and want special seating and a buffet dinner. And of course there's always a P.T. Barnum to take 'em- he may be named Jerry Reinsdorf or Arny Granat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:08 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
It is a pretty sterile ballpark.
I don't really understand what that means. Obviously, I've heard the park described that way many times. Does it mean clean? I'm sure it doesn't.
Boring? Plain?

The field itself is symmetrical and lacks anything that really catches your eye where you say, "Wow thats cool/weird," like other ballparks. Not that the Sox have to put a hill and flagpole in centerfield, but again this goes back to simply turning the park around with nice views of the cityscape. Those are also free, which is right up JERRY"s alley.

I also agree that the concourse is slightly underused and is a great place to hang out and watch a game. Based on the crowd size of the day, the Sox should absolutely offer $10 or $12 SRO tickets for the concourse. You could even block off the last few rows of a corner section as "GA" seating for those with a standing room ticket if there was room available.

An aside, have any of you seen the prices for tickets so far this year? $45 to sit in row 20something in the LF/RF corner. $22 for an Upper Deck seat in the 50x or 55x areas. GTFO with that nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:13 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I don't really understand what that means. Obviously, I've heard the park described that way many times. Does it mean clean? I'm sure it doesn't. It's a genuine ballpark. It's not a faux throwback trying to be a Disneyesque version of Wrigley or Fenway like so many of the parks that came soon after it.

The fetishization of ballparks is something that didn't happen until all the old parks were gone and only Wrigley and Fenway- arguably the two shittiest ones- remained. Up until I was in my twenties I never gave any thought to the ballpark. It was just the place where your team played. Cub fans go to Wrigley. Sox fans go to Comiskey. Yankee fans go to Yankee Stadium.

I think some of it is driven, like so many other things, by Boomers. As they moved into middle age and many of them accumulated great wealth, going to a ballgame and having a hot dog and a beer and sitting on bleachers just wasn't good enough. They wanted a "ballpark experience." It's like people that go to an alleged rock show and want special seating and a buffet dinner. And of course there's always a P.T. Barnum to take 'em- he may be named Jerry Reinsdorf or Arny Granat.

New Comiskey got rid of the obstructive views of the old place, but other than that all of the "improvements" were added to cater to those monied boomers. Two rows of luxury boxes so the upper deck is further away. A huge glass atrium for a said buffet table. We want fans to come out. The right kind of fan.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I don't really need warmth in a ball park. Warmth is for people who aren't really interested in baseball or are just visiting the place as a tourist attraction. Any place at which you've had a good time, multiple times a year, for 30 years is going to have familiarity, which is more than enough. I want a place that's convenient and comfortable, Comiskey checks both of those boxes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Warren Newson wrote:
I don't really need warmth in a ball park. Warmth is for people who aren't really interested in baseball or are just visiting the place as a tourist attraction. Any place at which you've had a good time, multiple times a year, for 30 years is going to have familiarity, which is more than enough. I want a place that's convenient and comfortable, Comiskey checks both of those boxes.

this is why I like Great American Ballpark. good seats, amenities, that's all I need.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:27 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I still maintain that the Sox/City work together to have a Metra SWS stop on at the tracks on the west side of the park.

That would be a good idea for gameday stops. Is there enough development around the neighborhood for full-time service? The Southwest Line doesn't have any stops till like Ashburn or something, couldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:27 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:

I find it pretty "warm," as it were. The statues, the murals, the pleasant walk around the concourse, the cast-iron entrances to the outfield seats, the parking lot during tailgating....plus, they have a small team welcoming you when you get there....I really like it.

Great sightlines, too.

Kauffman Stadium used to get a lot more positive attention, but people seem to have turned on it. It was great when I was there. Have not been there since the renovation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
they still should have went w/ that polo grounds type ballpark back then. that would have rivaled wrigley.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:50 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
they still should have went w/ that polo grounds type ballpark back then. that would have rivaled wrigley.

Yeah, a 520' center field wall would've drawn millions more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Regular Reader wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Build a bluff.

It was the only cool thing about the Polo Grounds. But if you're watching polo, then it was great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:47 am 

Nardi wrote:
But if you're watching polo, then it was great.

It really was. I was there the night Lancaster Throckmorton, our beloved Number One, scored the winning goal to beat the Hamptons Club 1-0. We Saxon fanatics applauded wildly. They closed the Grounds a year later and the game has never really been the same.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:55 am 
100000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

That would be a good idea for gameday stops. Is there enough development around the neighborhood for full-time service? The Southwest Line doesn't have any stops till like Ashburn or something, couldn't hurt.
Make it a flag stop. Lou Jones 35st stop on the Rock Island is a flag stop on non-gamedays.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Regular Reader wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

No if you looked at the designs it wasn't a carbon copy of polo . the CF outfield wall was going to be max 410 which isnt too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:00 am 

thomas wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I find it pretty "warm," as it were. The statues, the murals, the pleasant walk around the concourse, the cast-iron entrances to the outfield seats, the parking lot during tailgating....plus, they have a small team welcoming you when you get there....I really like it.

Great sightlines, too.

Kauffman Stadium used to get a lot more positive attention, but people seem to have turned on it. It was great when I was there. Have not been there since the renovation.

The lower deck at Guaranteed Rate Field is one of the best places in the world to watch a baseball game. The upper deck at Guaranteed Rate Field is one of the worst places in the world to watch a baseball game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
One Post wrote:
The lower deck at Guaranteed Rate Field is one of the best places in the world to watch a baseball game. The upper deck at Guaranteed Rate Field is one of the worst places in the world to watch a baseball game.

Agree with that.

Before I begin, insert Humblebragisdman....

As someone who has visited every NL stadium but for the new Braves iteration and I have been to Fenway, Target, Progressive, T-Mobile, and the Cell. I have seen most designs. I also visited the old Busch, Comiskey, Fulton County stadiums.

The Cell was much improved with the color scheme noted in the original post. The lower bowl is solid. Great food. Nice concourse especially in the outfield. If you like ample parking there you have it.

But the best ballparks (for me) have other things that add to the total experience. I love when you have a great background, PNC and Coors have amazing views as you look out. Places with great surrounding neighborhoods, Fenway, Wrigley, Coors most notably. The best all in interior designs are American Family (Millers) and Citi. Citi is my favorite stadium. Great tailgating is a huge plus for American Family.

The worst stadiums are Petco and Marlins. I have not been to, thankfully the A’s or Rays, which are obviously shitholes.

Solid, but not spectacular are the Nats, Cards, DBacks, Giants, and Phillies.

I love Fenway and Wrigley. Yeah they are way outdated, but baseball is about its history, and these places are magical.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I thought Coors sucked. You need to be high up in the upper deck to get a peak at the mountains in the distance.

PNC is great and arguably perfectly executed for the space in which it’s situated. I like Great American too; the bridges and the river are nice but the red everywhere is overwhelming.

For overall experience, I love Oracle. The setting, views, sight lines - it’s a borderline perfect stadium.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Yeah, it pains me to say, but my favorite seat in all of baseball is a first few rows of upper deck Wrigley, between the lines. It's almost breathtaking. PNC is my favorite park in general. But I've only been to about 7 or 8 outside Chicago. Worst is Milwaukee. Sorry, no baseball in a warehouse. No sir, not buying it. Warehouses are for football.