.7 WAR .139 BA .397 OBP .354 SLG .751 OPS 117 OPS+ 117 wRC+

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
McCann:
-.2 WAR .208 BA .269 OBP .250 SLG .519 OPS 49 OPS+ 54 wRC+

Grandal:

Hitting .139 but still at better player.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Now compare passed balls and interferences

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Now compare passed balls and interferences

McCann has more interferences this season than Grandal :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

That cannot be possible.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:49 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
That cannot be possible.

It is, McCann had 2 in 1 game a few weeks ago. He was trending on Twitter and the comments from Met fans were hilarious

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:53 pm 

Fuck, McCann is trending on Twitter right now because he fucked up so many times in the Mets game tonight :lol: :lol: :lol:

Search trending and you'll see it

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I'd still take McCann...over the course of a season, his defensive numbers will be better than Grandal.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
McCann is limited offensively. I think he's perfect as a back-up when you can pick good pitching match-ups. He was perfect in his role with the Sox last season.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:08 am 

I was happy for him that he got his big payday. He was great for the Sox but I would not have given him that many years or those dollars per year.

That doesn't mean I'm happy with Grandal

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:13 am 

I tried to tell Hawk several times that McCann was not answer. He never would listen.

Just let Yermin be the catcher.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:19 am 

RFDC wrote:
I tried to tell Hawk several times that McCann was not answer. He never would listen.

Remember how all the minor league experts told us Collins couldn't play defense at the major league level.

The guy looks great back there and his pitcher ERA is below 3.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
RFDC wrote:

I agree McCann is not the answer....I just want him for defense and pitching. Grandal is an overpaid problem who I hope they deal sometime at the deadline.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Remember how all the minor league experts told us Collins couldn't play defense at the major league level.

The guy looks great back there and his pitcher ERA is below 3.

I got to give credit where credit is due. You don't realize how good Grandal is at framing until you see Collins attempt it. That being said, Collins is still a big surprise and McCann leaving doesn't hurt as much because of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:58 am 
100000 CLUB

I'd rather Grandal be "less good" at framing, and a lot better at blocking balls in the dirt. Sooner or later, and it may even be in the post season, he's gonna blow a huge game for the Sox because he lets a ball get to the backstop that has no business doing so.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:01 am 

RFDC wrote:

Hawk had McCann taking the Dodger catching job from Will Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:28 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I'd rather Grandal be "less good" at framing, and a lot better at blocking balls in the dirt. Sooner or later, and it may even be in the post season, he's gonna blow a huge game for the Sox because he lets a ball get to the backstop that has no business doing so.

Quote:
Grandal became the first catcher in postseason history to allow two passed balls and two errors in the same game. Three of his mistakes came in the span of six pitches in the third inning, when he allowed a passed ball, committed catcher's interference and allowed a throw home to get behind him. The miscues helped the Brewers take a one-run lead in their 6-5 victory over the Dodgers.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Panino's
Ricky and the Sox used McCann perfectly. They put him in the best spots to succeed. He absolutely mashed lefties, which helped his overall stats as a backup. Whenever he took over for an extended period, he got exposed. He's a great backup, but a mediocre starter.

Grandal is and always has been a far better player. He's rocking a 127 wRC+ right now. His ability to get on base is huge for this offense.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:39 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
McCann:
-.2 WAR .208 BA .269 OBP .250 SLG .519 OPS 49 OPS+ 54 wRC+

Grandal:

Grandal is at 0.9 WAR and 127 wRC+ now. Very good offensive season for him so far.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:16 pm 

McCann benched.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:36 pm 

This is a good example of how important Grandal's pitch framing is. Those extra strike calls that he buys are worth far more than whatever you lose from a catcher's interference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:12 pm 

If you mean screwed over on balls and strikes, then I can't argue. But CI, pass balls, WP that should be stopped, missed throws to home on batted balls, there's like 12-18 instances of that. 3 of the 5 starters seem to prefer Collins, despite Grandal's "fooling of the umpire". Even Fangraphs, who LOVES framing stats, has Grandal in the middle of the pack defensively.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I’ll die on the ‘Grandal is good for this team’ hill. It’s a lonely hill.

I’ve left the ‘deshaun watson is a good guy’ hill. Previous attestations re: my willingness to die on the Watson hill are null & void.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:02 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

I’ve left the ‘deshaun watson is a good guy’ hill. Previous attestations re: my willingness to die on the Watson hill are null & void.

There's plenty of company for you. The very smart baseball people..... I don't think he's a bad baseball player, but I think his catching is way, WAY overrated, mostly by bookworms. And Collins is no gold glover either. He's better than I anticipated, but that WP tonight should have been blocked. Anything that bounces in front of home plate HAS to be kept in front of you. It smacked his arm. That's a no-no. Gotta move them feet quicker. Got plenty of time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:16 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:11 pm 

It's pay wall so I'll post it

After hitting three balls 100 mph or harder from his left-hand side, including a 457-foot blast that put his season line up to .137/.384/.363 (124 wRC+), White Sox catcher Yasmani Grandal provided the most straightforward explanation yet for how his spring training right knee injury has fueled his profoundly weird and weirdly productive season.
“I got into some bad habits, not being able to put as much torque as I wanted on the front knee,” said Grandal, whose right knee is his front knee in his left-handed swing. “Started flying open. The league kind of noticed. But now that it’s getting better, that’s what we are working for. Transfer that weight to the front side and make sure that front side is stiff and put as much torque as I possibly can put on it. We are going to continue to work on that. Once we get that going, that’s the last piece.”
Grandal’s tangible cause-and-effect explanation of how physical compromise contributed to mechanical issues is complemented by hitting coach Frank Menechino’s explanation of how such a struggle to drive the ball with authority, even amid his ability to get on base, affected Grandal mentally.
“Yaz, he’s a competitor. He really wants to get out there and show everybody that he’s a really good hitter, and the walks prove that he’s got a good eye, but now it’s time to use that good eye and just try to get base hits,” said Menechino. “Here’s like, a process: You get mad, you break shit, you say, ‘Fuck it, I don’t care anymore,’ and then you say, ‘I really don’t care; I’m just going to go up there,’ and that’s the cycle. So once you get to the point where you don’t care if you get a hit anymore, ‘I’m just going to barrel the ball,’ your swing calms down, your body calms down, your mind calms down.”
Grandal’s absurd 2021 walk rate (28.6 percent) actually balloons to 40 percent from the right side, but he has always expressed confidence in his right-handed stroke, even earlier this season when he was being coy about the depth of his left-handed struggles. Grandal has spoken about his right-handed swing being linked to his throwing mechanics, where both call upon him to drive off his right leg. That’s not unaffected by a knee injury either, but shifting his weight into that right knee, keeping it stiff and finishing his swing through it, has taken more time and strengthening to master.
“There’s always going to be some frustration when you’re hitting .130,” said Zack Collins. “But there’s a lot more that goes into it behind the scenes. He’s in here working his butt off every day. He’s taking his walks. His OPS is not as bad as people think.”
What Grandal did to get on base at a tremendous rate in the absence of his left-handed stroke was impressive, unprecedented and useful if deployed properly. But he’s been batting sixth the bulk of the time because the Sox keep expecting him to snap back to being a power bat and not just the guy who has hit half of his 14 hits out of the park over a two-month span. And as he shows his first signs of getting on track, it’s clear that’s what Grandal expects too.
“Whether it was a home run that barely made it or went as far as it did, I’m glad I got something up in the air,” Grandal said of Thursday night’s blast. “You can see what happens when I do that.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:40 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

You are in the right. He's a damn good player.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:51 pm 

and I thought the stats between those 2 were one sided 2 weeks ago :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonder how those look now

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:59 pm 

Actually, McCann has also woken up. A couple dingers and a bunch of ribbies in the last week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:11 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Actually, McCann has also woken up. A couple dingers and a bunch of ribbies in the last week.

5 dingers and 13 RBI in last two weeks. ssssizzlin' hot. Mets rolling.