It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sox-Tigers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:33 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
You know they aren't moving on from Grandal. That's like me hoping they will sign Trea Turner for 2B.

I agree he will start the season with the team next year. But I don't think they can go long with him if he hits- or rather, doesn't hit- the way he did this year. At that point you just have to dump him and move on.

I have no problem with Zavala being the main catcher. He came in and seemed to at least try to be a team leader, a tough thing to do for a guy who was basically not much more than a rookie.

Zavala is only marginally better than Grandal is as a catcher.

It's almost like Hahn has no understanding how important a good catcher is to a team's defense

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:50 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
You know they aren't moving on from Grandal. That's like me hoping they will sign Trea Turner for 2B.

I agree he will start the season with the team next year. But I don't think they can go long with him if he hits- or rather, doesn't hit- the way he did this year. At that point you just have to dump him and move on.

I have no problem with Zavala being the main catcher. He came in and seemed to at least try to be a team leader, a tough thing to do for a guy who was basically not much more than a rookie.

It's almost like Hahn has no understanding how important a good catcher is to a team's defense

I think you're mistaken about that. Zavala is pretty competent behind the plate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:01 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But I think we all agree that changes need to be made. And just cutting the guys we don't want to see- Grandal and Moncada- isn't good business and it isn't going to happen. If we want to change the makeup of this team, something radical needs to be done.
I don't care about good business. I care about this team winning more games and playoff series than they have in a long time. Those guys get paid regardless. Moncada you're probably stuck with because of the years left. Grandal is only one year, so you eat it and move on.

Something radical would be moving on from Moncada and Grandal one way or another.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But I think we all agree that changes need to be made. And just cutting the guys we don't want to see- Grandal and Moncada- isn't good business and it isn't going to happen. If we want to change the makeup of this team, something radical needs to be done.
I don't care about good business. I care about this team winning more games and playoff series than they have in a long time. Those guys get paid regardless. Moncada you're probably stuck with because of the years left. Grandal is only one year, so you eat it and move on.

Something radical would be moving on from Moncada and Grandal one way or another.

Trading Grandal for McCann is probably doable. 75% of McCann's career WAR is here. Have nothing to lose trying it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Trading Grandal for McCann is probably doable. 75% of McCann's career WAR is here. Have nothing to lose trying it.

You can't just give guys big contracts and then cut them loose if they have a bad 90 game stretch. It's easy for fans to demand that, but it just doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:48 am 
100000 CLUB

Its been more than 90 games for Grandal. As stated in another thread, he's been on the DL 4-5 times over the last two seasons. Not uncommon for an injury plagued veteran to get DFA'd in the final year of his contract.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I call it being smart. Both of those guys suck as players and in Moncada's case is holding back a potential thumper in Burger who I think LaRussa totally mismanaged. Grandal is done. Eat the guy's contract. HE can't hit and he sure can't catch.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You can't just give guys big contracts and then cut them loose if they have a bad 90 game stretch. It's easy for fans to demand that, but it just doesn't work.

Grandal has had less than a half year in the last two as a barely mediocre defensive catcher. He's never going to catch again for a good team and with a team already top heavy in slow defensively limited long ball only dh types, he's useless baggage on this team.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I call it being smart. Both of those guys suck as players and in Moncada's case is holding back a potential thumper in Burger who I think LaRussa totally mismanaged.

Come on, The Hawk. This team needs to get better defensively, not worse.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

The Hawk wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Grandal has had less than a half year in the last two as a barely mediocre defensive catcher. He's never going to catch again for a good team and with a team already top heavy in slow defensively limited long ball only dh types, he's useless baggage on this team.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but these are things that have to be considered before you sign a guy. You can't just sink a shitload of money into him and then say he sucks and cut him. Certainly not if you're the White Sox. Maybe the Dodgers or Yankees can do that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but these are things that have to be considered before you sign a guy. You can't just sink a shitload of money into him and then say he sucks and cut him. Certainly not if you're the White Sox. Maybe the Dodgers or Yankees can do that.

You are correct but that's not applicable with Grandal.
He's had 3 full seasons with the White Sox. We know what he is and what he is not.
He sucks. It was a bad contract. Dump him...it's only eating 1 final year. His presence on the team it this point does more harm than good.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
BigW72 wrote:
He sucks. It was a bad contract. Dump him...it's only eating 1 final year. His presence on the team it this point does more harm than good.

You dont think being Jackie's bodyguard and defending his honor has a place on this team ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Yaz was the only guy who could get on base consistently and didn’t swing at everything in the COVID season. He had a .939 OPS in 2021.

He’s sucked balls this year but his hasn’t been a horrible contract. The team just collectively sucked. Nobody did what they were supposed to do, save for Cease, Hendriks and maybe Abreu.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:31 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
You can't just sink a shitload of money into him and then say he sucks and cut him.
He's a catcher who can't catch and has been on the IL five times over the last two seasons. He's in the final year of his deal. Does he help you win games right now? The answer is no. Once again Simple Frank is taking you to school. He's an injury plagued veteran who's skill have diminished at this point. Cut bait, eat the last year of the deal, and move on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:59 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Yaz was the only guy who could get on base consistently and didn’t swing at everything in the COVID season. He had a .939 OPS in 2021.

He’s sucked balls this year but his hasn’t been a horrible contract. The team just collectively sucked. Nobody did what they were supposed to do, save for Cease, Hendriks and maybe Abreu.

As Frank just stated...he's a catcher who can't catch. That's kind of important. There is and has been a log jam of DH's on this team. He has no place here.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

If Albert Pujols can get DFA'd, so can Yasmani fucking Grandal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:05 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
If Albert Pujols can get DFA'd, so can Yasmani fucking Grandal.

They DFA's Dallas Keuchel....Grandal is more money, but I'm trying to remember.....did they ride out John Danks all they way to the end or DFA him?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

Danks had about 6 starts I think. JOrr may be correct in that Grandal will get 60 or so at bats to see if he's got anything left. But if he gets hurt in Spring or just has a brutal Spring in general, you have to DFA him.

He's owed $18 million next season :lol: :shock: :lol: :cry:
Sox should offer to pay 15 or 16 of that and see if they can move him for a lottery ticket out A or rookie ball. Addition by subtraction.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:19 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Danks had about 6 starts I think. JOrr may be correct in that Grandal will get 60 or so at bats to see if he's got anything left. But if he gets hurt in Spring or just has a brutal Spring in general, you have to DFA him.

Sox should offer to pay 15 or 16 of that and see if they can move him for a lottery ticket out A or rookie ball. Addition by subtraction.

I think there's a team out there that would take him if the Sox ate a big chunk of the contract.

You can't be a WS contender with catcher that can't catch. I really think they need to take a look at Eloy, Grandal, and TA7 and see if there's trade value. They have to have a major philosophical change on defense as on organization. You can't give away free outs and be a world series contender. I know this won't happen, but that's what is needed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:35 pm 

I have yet to see anyone suggest trying to trade Hendriks. Could someone like Reynaldo move to a closer role?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:18 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think you're mistaken about that. Zavala is pretty competent behind the plate.

I don't think he is decent behind the plate. His blocking of pitches in the dirt is pretty weak. One of the reasons why this team was as bad as it was is the terrible performance of our two catchers. Virtually every team we faced had better catchers than the Sox did and there is no excuse for it. If Hahn was responsible for the make-up of the rosters and putting a competent team on the field, then he should be fired also. The terrible defense and lack of the 6-9 positions in the batting order were terrible now for two seasons running. And this wasted some excellent starting pitching in the process.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I call it being smart. Both of those guys suck as players and in Moncada's case is holding back a potential thumper in Burger who I think LaRussa totally mismanaged.

Come on, The Hawk. This team needs to get better defensively, not worse.

You need someone better over-all at 3rd base than Moncada. A no power no batting average guy is crap. Moncada is a dog offensively. Burger has the ability I believe to be a 4-5 hitter and be capable of 30-35 HRs and 100 Rbis as a starting 3rd baseman. The only scenario I would have for retaining Moncada would be for him to forego hitting left handed and go back to 2nd base. He makes more contact hitting right handed. But they cannot block a guy who was considered the best hitting prospect in the entire baseball draft and who came back from two awful injuries. He is not Moncada defensively but he can't be held back by a weak .200 hitter at a power position in the line-up. Leaving him in the middle of the order like LaRussa did was another reason why the Sox sucked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:36 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I happens quite a bit when you have players who have gotten to the point that they aren't of any value to you and are taking up space on a roster. It'd be one thing if Grandal could catch or hit but he can't do either. If he could at least hit he could go into our already large DH/1B pool. Perhaps some team would want him as a DH back-up catcher for one year. LEt the Sox pay some of his contract but this guy cannot catch for the Sox and expect the Sox to win. He is DONE.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:49 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I think there's a team out there that would take him if the Sox ate a big chunk of the contract.

You can't be a WS contender with catcher that can't catch. I really think they need to take a look at Eloy, Grandal, and TA7 and see if there's trade value. They have to have a major philosophical change on defense as on organization. You can't give away free outs and be a world series contender. I know this won't happen, but that's what is needed.

It is absolutely true about the importance of the catcher. Hahn or whoever is going to be in charge of the team roster next year needs to start with an idea of what kind of team that thy want to have next year. For two years in a row the Sox have had awful 6-9 positions in the batting order and shitty defense at catcher, short-stop and the entire outfield. No left handed hitting, terrible baserunning, weakness in the middle of the bull-pen. TWO DAMNED YEARS IN A ROW.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:04 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

good dolphin wrote:
I have yet to see anyone suggest trying to trade Hendriks. Could someone like Reynaldo move to a closer role?

Sure they could trade Hendriks. However, are they going to blow the team up? If they want to contend for a championship, I would not think about losing him. I would move Lopez to a set-up role or even think about making him a starter. The transformation of Lopez under Ethan Katz has been a great success story. If they shit can the coaching staff, they can't give up Katz.