It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
RFDC wrote:
JORRs thoughts on Swanson vs. Moncada are good stuff. Moncada is the poster boy for a waste of such talent. Swanson is the poster boy for getting everything you can out of the talent you have. Every team needs a couple Swansons if they are going to be good. It is like Buehrle and Lester. Neither were the most talented pitchers around. But they were bulldogs that you wanted to have the ball. You knew they were going to fight scratch and do whatever was needed to get your team the win. Guys respected them, followed them and were a little afraid of them.

Certainly seems the Sox didnt want the Swanson type players around because guys like that apparently have zero “ fun “ playing baseball and inhibit the joy others get from playing with their try hard , hustle , accountability bullshit .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Vaughn is not on a list of problems to deal with at the moment. Sure he will never be elite. But he is more than serviceable for them moving forward. You could easily have him at 1B on a playoff team.
Vaughn may not be a problem, but I'm not sure he's a solution either. You could easily have him at 1B if you have two or three other guys approaching 30 HRs a year. JOrr is right. Sox should be trying to improve from a guy like Vaughn at 1st. I don't dislike the guy, but you need more power from your first baseman if you are intending to win a title.

Vaughn might be the guy who brings back the most in a trade.

This kind of touches on my thoughts on the topic. From a position player standpoint, your key rebuild guys were: Eloy, Robert, Moncada, Madrigal, and Vaughn. For the rebuild to work, you needed at least three of those guys to be better than average. Only one of those guys (Robert) is better than average. Therefore, Vaughn is part of the problem, but he's one of many other parts.

I think you can win with Moncada-Robert-Jimenez as the heart of your order (of course, they have to stay on the field) if you round out the lineup with real ballpalyers. In twenty years no one will mention Dansby Swanson, but he's a fuckin' ballplayer. You need guys like that in the middle of the infield, at catcher, and in the clubhouse. Then you don't ever need to talk about the manager.

It's beyond injuries at this point with Moncada and Jimenez. Moncada puts up, at best, average numbers and while Jimenez's numbers are consistently above average, they're not that far above average that they can carry the weight for other players. Also, those numbers come with absolutely no defense.

The two rebuilds that have worked recently (the Astros and the Cubs) have produced at least two guys who were well above average in the years they won. Unless you're going to do the Rays thing where you're always in the midst of a rebuild, you need to identify and develop those well above average players through the rebuild.

Moncada is a more than adequate third baseman. Jimenez is a DH.

You said you can win with Moncada being part of the "heart of the order." He's not a heart of the order bat. Also, Jimenez would not be one of the two, and possibly three, best hitters on a championship team.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:35 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:
RFDC wrote:
JORRs thoughts on Swanson vs. Moncada are good stuff. Moncada is the poster boy for a waste of such talent. Swanson is the poster boy for getting everything you can out of the talent you have. Every team needs a couple Swansons if they are going to be good. It is like Buehrle and Lester. Neither were the most talented pitchers around. But they were bulldogs that you wanted to have the ball. You knew they were going to fight scratch and do whatever was needed to get your team the win. Guys respected them, followed them and were a little afraid of them.

Certainly seems the Sox didnt want the Swanson type players around because guys like that apparently have zero “ fun “ playing baseball and inhibit the joy others get from playing with their try hard , hustle , accountability bullshit .

They had a shortstop already

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Seacrest wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
RFDC wrote:

They had a shortstop already

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:48 am 

Let's put it another way.

Describe how the White Sox should create the plan with the best chance to win the World Series in the next 10 years. The only parameters are that they aren't going to be a top 5 payroll team. They will only be a top 10 payroll team to improve a team that is already a team capable of winning 90+ games.

I'm no baseball genius but I still think it would be roughly what they did at the start of the previous tank job by trading away anyone with value, being bad for a few years, signing a few free agents with high upside, and then hoping it all works out. As Theo said, there is no value in winning 80 games.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:55 am 

Brick wrote:
I'm no baseball genius but I still think it would be roughly what they did at the start of the previous tank job by trading away anyone with value, being bad for a few years, signing a few free agents with high upside, and then hoping it all works out. As Theo said, there is no value in winning 80 games.

I think that is really the only option. The other option would be to spend a crap ton of money on pitching and a 2B and hope the stars align for a year. But they have shown no willingness to spend that type of money.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:

I think that is really the only option. The other option would be to spend a crap ton of money on pitching and a 2B and hope the stars align for a year. But they have shown no willingness to spend that type of money.
Right. Nas will say Jerry wants to win and will spend, but he had chances to spend in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 and largely didn't.

The Sox will "compete" and try to cobble together a team to win 83-86 games next season so they can be in the hunt for the division title. Which as Rick alluded to above is no value. Win a pennant, win the World Series. That is the bar for success.

I would love to give Getz the benefit of the doubt for this off season, but I don't have high hopes. Nothing will change until Jerry dies or sells.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
It’s not like a Swanson type FA is a viable option for Jerry.

Guy got $177m. That’s $100m+ more than the largest contract in team history.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

Right, but Swanson is making $14 mil this year and $26 mil thereafter.

Yoan Moncada is making $17.8 mil this year and $24.8 mil next year. There is a $25mil option and a $5mil buyout for 2025.

Who would you rather have? I know the Cubs are going to be paying Swanson a shit ton of money when he is 34-35 but still.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:06 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Right, but Swanson is making $14 mil this year and $26 mil thereafter.

Yoan Moncada is making $17.8 mil this year and $24.8 mil next year. There is a $25mil option and a $5mil buyout for 2025.

Who would you rather have? I know the Cubs are going to be paying Swanson a shit ton of money when he is 34-35 but still.

I’d rather have better, younger, cheaper players if given the option. But they’re going to pay Swanson substantially more than Jerry would ever pay a guy. So I don’t know that annual salary comparisons matter given the totality of the contracts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

Its the total dollar and long deal that scares JERRY, sure. But if somebody can show him how foolishly he spends every year ($18mil for 0.9 WAR Moncada, $8.6mil and $17mil thereafter for 0.4 WAR Benintendi, etc) maybe he would act a little differently.

Not to mention the millions wasted on bad relievers over the year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's

Maybe Jerry just can't afford to field a winning team.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:20 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Can’t or won’t, result is the same.

Although he does spend money, he just does it in a really bizarre way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Didn't they spend around $195M in 2023? That seems like it's enough to be competitive and probably to be winning, especially given that they were able to lock up so many players to longer term deals.

They don't seem to be a team that will be willing though to sign Swanson or anyone even remotely the same cost. If they are to develop a star player, it would have to be through their system and they would only sign them to a cost control deal. They don't appear to be willing to ever give a free agent a long-term market value deal.

Along with not developing their own talent the last few years, they also didn't complement the major league roster with star talent. They added complementary players like Grandal and trade for veteran starters like Lance Lynn who are very good, but they don't just buy top talent the way others do. As long as that doesn't change, it will be on them developing their own talent and spending money on lower end free agents on more team friendly deals for the most part.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Brick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
casual fan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Sox should be trying to improve from a guy like Vaughn at 1st.

The problem is, you can say that for every single position on the field, outside of CF.

Doesn't help that the 3 young position players that are getting a chance right now aren't doing well (Colas, Lee, Sosa). Small sample size, and hopefully they improve, but would be nice to have someone come up and look decent from the start.

Going full tank, then rebuild with prospects is a very dicey proposition to begin with. Those players have to hit and stay healthy and the odds are astronomically against teams to do that. It’s hard enough to have one prospect be good let alone depending on a half dozen of them to come through your system and be good major leaguers. So much has to go right with very little going wrong . Also why the job Theo did in 16 was great .

The odds aren't astronomical. It's just not guaranteed. Go look at how most of the recent World Series champions were built. The Cubs method and the Sox method were how it was done. You tank. You get a superstar or two because of it. You trade away whatever else you have for some prospects. If it works, you spend some money around the team to fill in the holes. It worked for the Cubs. It failed miserably for the White Sox. The method is sound.

The ironic part is that many people were blaming the White Sox for chasing mediocrity after the 2005-2006 teams were past their championship window. They would laugh at the White Sox making all these free agent moves designed to win now that wouldn't really result in anything but a slightly above average team. You seem to be advocating for that now when I am almost certain you also had issue with how the White Sox tried to win prior to the fire sale that led to this tank job.

FAs like Melky, Done, and LaCucaracha.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:56 pm 

The way the White Sox spend money is a bit odd, but you can certainly win with their strategy. As long as you have a strong system for player development...or a shitload of luck.
Unfortunately, the Kenny William and Rick Hahn Center for Baseball Players Who Can't Play Baseball Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too produced nothing for decades... and they lucked out once.

Invest in player development, not just acquisition.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
BD wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Didn't they spend around $195M in 2023? That seems like it's enough to be competitive and probably to be winning, especially given that they were able to lock up so many players to longer term deals.

They don't seem to be a team that will be willing though to sign Swanson or anyone even remotely the same cost. If they are to develop a star player, it would have to be through their system and they would only sign them to a cost control deal. They don't appear to be willing to ever give a free agent a long-term market value deal.

Along with not developing their own talent the last few years, they also didn't complement the major league roster with star talent. They added complementary players like Grandal and trade for veteran starters like Lance Lynn who are very good, but they don't just buy top talent the way others do. As long as that doesn't change, it will be on them developing their own talent and spending money on lower end free agents on more team friendly deals for the most part.

I think we've seen time and time again that spending money wildly on free agents is no guarantee of success. Case in point, this year's Mets.

The Rays pay about 40 analysts and find good cheap players. The Sox have about five analysts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:19 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BD wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think we've seen time and time again that spending money wildly on free agents is no guarantee of success. Case in point, this year's Mets.

The Rays pay about 40 analysts and find good cheap players. The Sox have about five analysts.

Yeah, but Jerry is going to have Getz out there assembling a dream team of old cocksucking scouts who judge prospects by the relative hotness of their girlfriends.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

Kopech is now in the bullpen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Michael Farnsworth. Great physical tools, Ten-cent brain.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
WestmontMike wrote:
As long as you have a strong system for player development.

This is where they need to start.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Moncada getting hot in the last month of a season of 100 losses does nothing for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:57 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

Hopefully that means we can at least see him form tackle a guy that charges the mound!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:29 am 
100000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Hopefully that means we can at least see him form tackle a guy that charges the mound!
Its more likely he tears an ACL trying to kick a box fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:48 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Moncada getting hot in the last month of a season of 100 losses does nothing for me.

Increases his trade value.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
RFDC wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

We were at that game in Cincy. The best part is Farnsworth and other Cubs players were out all night the day before at Have a Nice Day Cafe (now closed), which was a night club.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

These outfielders are so dumb.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Nas wrote:

He makes too much money. They would have to retain a fair amount if not half.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:02 am 
1000 CLUB

Cashman wrote:
Nas wrote:

He makes too much money. They would have to retain a fair amount if not half.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is take on that deal and the White Sox aren't eating half of that. If anything, they should look at bringing in a dependable IF who can play multiple positions. You have to assume durability issues with Moncada and 2B is still probably going to be an internal hole that they try to force a solution from.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next