It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: They Gone!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:34 am 

Bridgeport is a cool, old Chicago neighborhood. If you don't like it, you don't really like Chicago. Maybe you should try the China Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
Bridgeport is a cool, old Chicago neighborhood. If you don't like it, you don't really like Chicago. Maybe you should try the China Club

I love Bridgeport. I was dumped there many weekends growing up. It was a great dumping. Couldn't figure out why it was so white....that's a lie, my grandparents told me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
the truth is, comiskey II is a nice park in a great location. It is accessible by multiple forms of public transportation. It is directly adjacent to multiple expressways. It is on the edge of a nice residential neighborhood. It has its flaws but convenience isn't one of them

The thing is, it's designed for you to spend money with Jerry and then get the hell out. The ballpark isn't really part of the neighborhood.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Hey so umm...if Hahn and KW were this close to getting fired for incompetence, why were they allowed to partially deconstruct this Sox team and sell it for parts?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Hey so umm...if Hahn and KW were this close to getting fired for incompetence, why were they allowed to partially deconstruct this Sox team and sell it for parts?

You don't like the Jake Burger for Jake Eder trade?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:10 am 

Interviews weren't done yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:12 am 

Caller Bob wrote:

Just so it's clear for future reference, you don't like it, right?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th

If they're just going to promote Getz, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't have done this sooner. However, if they're going to bring in someone from outside, getting anyone decent to take over mid-season and preside over a trade deadline and draft was going to be difficult. Other than Jake Burger, they also didn't trade any long term pieces.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:41 am 

good dolphin wrote:
the truth is, comiskey II is a nice park in a great location. It is accessible by multiple forms of public transportation. It is directly adjacent to multiple expressways. It is on the edge of a nice residential neighborhood. It has its flaws but convenience isn't one of them

There really isn't a bad seat in the lower deck. Also, while ambiance is nice, it wears off after about twenty minutes. At that point, I would rather have a place that's comfortable and convenient.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Which Getz is going to be considered, Chris or Bernie?

Stan

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ahh, the old inject new blood approach by promoting from within.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Should bring in a consultant. Ernie Accorsi is available.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
a genius wrote:
Should bring in a consultant. Ernie Accorsi is available.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:28 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Some of the best Chicago sports radio I've heard in quite awhile. Waddle & Silvy talking Sox, dysfunction with Jerry history, angry callers, Kap tells Kenny conflicts audio (8/23 5 PM: Sox talk and Mongo)

https://player.fm/series/waddle-silvy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

There really isn't a bad seat in the lower deck. Also, while ambiance is nice, it wears off after about twenty minutes. At that point, I would rather have a place that's comfortable and convenient.
There are a handful of seats in the corners where the foul pole obstructs some of the view, but the sightlines in the park are great. The first few rows of the upper deck are fine as well and even some way up there in front of the poles near the top have good sightlines.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Which Getz is going to be considered, Chris or Bernie?

Stan

There is only one Getz that merits consideration......Leo Getz

Per Joe Pesci:

Leo Getz : I'm Leo Getz, and whatever you want, Leo gets. :drunken: :drunken:

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:

I looked away for one second and Tony La Russa morphed into Michael Miner of the Chicago Reader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:27 pm 

Yeah, noone is saying that Biden and Harris should get fired for selling the border wall for 2 cents on the dollar. :eye: :eye:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:05 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Who's going to be as good, near as good, or better than Kenny Williams...a dear friend?
-Michael Wilbon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:18 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Who's going to be as good, near as good, or better than Kenny Williams...a dear friend?
-Michael Wilbon

I'm kinda thinking the Jake Burger trade got him fired. I'm kinda thinking it cemented the public perception that him and Hahn weren't on the same page.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:46 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nardi wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
-Michael Wilbon

I'm kinda thinking the Jake Burger trade got him fired. I'm kinda thinking it cemented the public perception that him and Hahn weren't on the same page.

I don't really think much of Jake Burger and it was probably a good trade for the Sox to be able to get a guy with an arm like that who was already coming off surgery. We'll see.

But there's more to running a team than just trying to win games some time in the future. You have a terrible and unlikeable team and you trade the one guy that makes fans happy. At the very least it underlines just how tone deaf this franchise is. I don't think that's gonna change just because they fired Kenny and Hahn.

Baseball is entertainment. It isn't life and death. Sure, I want the Sox to win. But it's a little more complicated than that. Like letting Buehrle go and giving "Losing Pitcher" John Danks more money than it would have taken to keep Buehrle. I'm not gonna argue that that wasn't the right baseball move at the time. It turned out not to be, but it seemed that it was at the time. Regardless, Buehrle was "Our Guy." The lead dog in a World Series rotation. That means something. It means something to the fans.

But Jerry doesn't ever seem to care about the fans. His answer is to raise beer prices and give away another stupid bobblehead.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

and give away another stupid bobblehead.

Theyre having a Frank Costanza night ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:28 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
-Michael Wilbon

I don't really think much of Jake Burger and it was probably a good trade for the Sox to be able to get a guy with an arm like that who was already coming off surgery. We'll see.

But there's more to running a team than just trying to win games some time in the future. You have a terrible and unlikeable team and you trade the one guy that makes fans happy. At the very least it underlines just how tone deaf this franchise is. I don't think that's gonna change just because they fired Kenny and Hahn.

Baseball is entertainment. It isn't life and death. Sure, I want the Sox to win. But it's a little more complicated than that. Like letting Buehrle go and giving "Losing Pitcher" John Danks more money than it would have taken to keep Buehrle. I'm not gonna argue that that wasn't the right baseball move at the time. It turned out not to be, but it seemed that it was at the time. Regardless, Buehrle was "Our Guy." The lead dog in a World Series rotation. That means something. It means something to the fans.

But Jerry doesn't ever seem to care about the fans. His answer is to raise beer prices and give away another stupid bobblehead.

Vaughn and Burger are both first round picks, yet Vaughn seems to be an untouchable piece despite not having one remarkable feature to his game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
-Michael Wilbon

Vaughn and Burger are both first round picks, yet Vaughn seems to be an untouchable piece despite not having one remarkable feature to his game.

Vaughn is elite at carrying people.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:44 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
-Michael Wilbon

They were both first round picks, but Vaughn was considered to have the higher ceiling. I remember phrases getting tossed around like "best hitter in the draft." I think they're still crossing their fingers and hoping he hits that ceiling. However, at some point (and I think that point is quickly approaching) you have to lower that ceiling to reflect reality.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Vaughn is a fine hitter, he just has no pop and sucks at defense. That combination doesn’t bode well long term.

If he could find some designer steroids, then I think you’re looking at a guy who can hang around 1B for a decade.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Sox have a lack of power to begin with, and you can't have your 1B barely hitting 20 HRs. He is a career .255 hitter. If he was going to take big steps forward, this would have been the year. I'm not sure he will ever been an All Star. In fact, I think if you had Gavin Sheets get ~500 at bats at 1st Base, he would probably hit .250ish with 20-25 bombs.

If the Sox want to keep Vaughn that's fine, but they absolutely should be looking to upgrade his position every chance they get.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:23 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

From what my spies tell me, it was Williams that wanted Burger traded. I guess it was his final Fuck You to the Chicago White Sox fans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:39 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
-Michael Wilbon

They were both first round picks, but Vaughn was considered to have the higher ceiling. I remember phrases getting tossed around like "best hitter in the draft." I think they're still crossing their fingers and hoping he hits that ceiling. However, at some point (and I think that point is quickly approaching) you have to lower that ceiling to reflect reality.

Bottom line. The White Sox had an aging Abreu whose contract was going to be up in a few years. All teams go through this stuff for their star players. So this stupid organization for some asinine reason decided to not replace Abreu with one prospect. They drafted Burger, Vaughn, and Sheets all one and two draft picks that could all fit at first base well. Why? What do you want to bet that it was Williams who fell in love with Vaughn and didn't want Burger?

For a team with many holes, this is a huge example of how bad the front office is. They drafted three guys to fill one position and wasted two high positions. As for Burger, he is going to be an all-star level player for years to come. Vaughn will be at most an average major league first baseman and Sheets will be a part-time 23 rd or 24th man on a major league roster.

By the way, Burger is showing that he is a good defensive 3rd baseman. His fielding average for 2023 is .982

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:01 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
AJ P and Jesse rogers take : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZFP8ZVrM1I