It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Benetti hate is over the top. He was fine. With Kasper staying on radio, whoever the Sox hire is very likely to be worse and even more vanilla. The biggest problem with the Sox TV booth is Stone IMO.

The Sox are beyond a dumpster fire. You have a guy with a disability who's dream was to call Sox games on TV. he busts his ass to get that exact job...and leaves for a division rival.

I'm growing to accept that its going to be the Charlotte or Nashville White Sox within the next ten years.

Well, Reinsdorf refuses to die and I wouldn't be a bit surprised his final fuck you to Sox fans would be to move.

Can he take the Bulls with him?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Benetti hate is over the top. He was fine. With Kasper staying on radio, whoever the Sox hire is very likely to be worse and even more vanilla. The biggest problem with the Sox TV booth is Stone IMO.

The Sox are beyond a dumpster fire. You have a guy with a disability who's dream was to call Sox games on TV. he busts his ass to get that exact job...and leaves for a division rival.

I'm growing to accept that it’s going to be the Charlotte or Nashville White Sox within the next ten years.

The bored isn’t perfect, but I think Benetti received the exactly correct amount of hate. For instance:
Tall Midget wrote:
If I ever saw Benetti on the street, I'd hit him in the face with a shovel.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I'm growing to accept that it’s going to be the Charlotte or Nashville White Sox within the next ten years.

The bored isn’t perfect, but I think Benetti received the exactly correct amount of hate. For instance:
Tall Midget wrote:

That made me laugh out loud :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: What??
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I'm growing to accept that its going to be the Charlotte or Nashville White Sox within the next ten years.

Well, Reinsdorf refuses to die and I wouldn't be a bit surprised his final fuck you to Sox fans would be to move.

JR doesn't despise Bulls fans.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:51 am 

Nardi wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

That's unfortunate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:51 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Tall Midget wrote:

The lede is TM is walking the streets with a shovel.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:52 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

That's unfortunate

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:52 am 

Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Tall Midget wrote:

The lede is TM is walking the streets with a shovel.

Has to defend himself from chainsaw attacks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Tall Midget wrote:
I disagree. Anybody who ties their fandom into the team's announcers one way or another is an idiot. There are no more Ernie Harwells or Vin Sullys left in sports/MLB.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: The Forum
Fat Sciambi to replace Benetti. Please make it happen.

STONE: Now Myles Straw has a slider-speed bat. 3 fastballs from Cease will end the inning.
SCIAMBI: SO STEVE, DO YOU LIKE ANIME?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:02 am 

Top Ten shovel kills. Light 'em up Chicago

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:05 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Much like that idiot Schambi, Benetti is far better doing national games than home broadcasts .

yes and he is better at football and basketball than baseball...too much idle time to fill with his personality in baseball

I assume he wanted more time off to do other announcing and they told him no

I'll probably watch five games this year anyway. The team in house mouthpiece is saying they will slide back a little from 101 losses. That tells me everything I need to know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:55 am 
100000 CLUB

Jon Greenberg wrote:

Tim Anderson is gone and the White Sox’s ‘Change the Game’ era is over

There were no quotes in the press release. Just 137 efficient words.

On Twitter, there was a lovely video tribute that lasted 1 minute, 42 seconds.

The deliveries were different, but the message was the same: Tim Anderson is no longer on the Chicago White Sox.

Not long ago, he was the face of a franchise on the rise. But Anderson’s fall mirrored that of the Sox. As he went down, so did they, and “Change the Game” has given way to “Turn the Page.”

It happened fast.

The White Sox chose not to pick up Anderson’s $14 million option, they announced Saturday. Given that he was one of the worst hitters in baseball last year — if not the worst everyday player for most of the season — this shouldn’t be a shocker.

It’s a decision that everyone was prepared for, but given the context of Anderson’s career, it’s a decision that surprised me a little.

If the Sox are serious about being competitive in 2024 — wasn’t that why Jerry Reinsdorf claimed he promoted Chris Getz to GM without a search? — then a possible rebound season from Anderson could help them accomplish that modest goal.

If they were bad in 2024 and he just started hitting again, well, they could try and get something of value for him as a trade deadline rental. If he were bad and they were bad, a distinct possibility, well, that $14 million wouldn’t result in Jerry Reinsdorf walking around in a bankruptcy barrel.

But the Sox just cut bait, owing him nothing more than a $1 million buyout, a press release and a Twitter goodbye.

"White Sox decline Tim Anderson's option."

It’s a move reminiscent of the Cubs non-tendering Kyle Schwarber before the 2021 season, though Schwarber helped the Cubs win a ring, as opposed to Anderson leading the Sox to a division title.

Schwarber has hit 125 regular-season homers and another 14 playoff homers since then, while playing in three championship series and one World Series.

Anderson would probably welcome that kind of rejuvenation.

In truth, both sides need a fresh start. Anderson was once the spirit of the team’s marketing campaign meant to celebrate individuality and a particular kind of South Side vibe.

“We had A.J. (Pierzynski), A.J. had a pretty big personality, but we’ve never had someone with the swagger and confidence of Tim Anderson, which seems to be carrying through the clubhouse,” White Sox vice president of sales and marketing Brooks Boyer told me before the 2021 season.

But last year, Anderson’s free-swinging swagger was replaced with brooding groundouts. The Sox were so bad that the tenured front office of Ken Williams and Rick Hahn were defenestrated by Reinsdorf during the season. (And yet, manager Pedro Grifol, who refused to move Anderson down in the order when it was painfully obvious it was hurting both him and the team, is still here.)

The rebuild ended not in multiple championships and parades, but in the rubble of failed promises and broken dreams.

A long-awaited change has come to the White Sox and no one is safe. But it’s not as if the team looks like it’s going to be good anytime soon.

There is no youth movement on the way, Grifol is in over his head, and the team is so short on talent right now that it’s conceivable it’s worse than last year’s 61-win campaign.

So for just $14 million, the Sox could’ve kept Anderson and their options open. That they didn’t speaks not only to Getz’s desire to move on from Anderson, who wasn’t exactly a clubhouse leader, but also the team’s likely plan to cut salary.

Last season, the Sox opened with a bloated payroll above $180 million. (Note to Getz: Don’t overpay for relievers.) This season, it should be significantly lower. After all, the Sox had the worst attendance decline in baseball last season and no one is watching their games on TV.

This year promises to be a little more low-key.

Last season was such a newsy disaster, from the Mike Clevinger story to the team’s 8-21 start to the Anderson KO in Cleveland to the fire sale to traded players ripping the team to the front-office firings and Getz hiring, the Sox were wire-to-wire weird. The only uplifting part of the season was when closer Liam Hendriks returned from his cancer treatment. But in perfect 2023 Sox fashion, he blew out his elbow. If he pitches again, it might not be with the Sox, who declined his club option. (They still owe him $15 million, but they can pay it off in installments.)

The immediate goal for the Sox seems to just be another forgettable cellar-dweller while they figure out what’s next. I guess it’s a good thing they’re modeling themselves after the Kansas City Royals then. But even the Royals had back-to-back World Series appearances fairly recently, something that seems like a mere dream for the White Sox and their fans.

It was amusing that Reinsdorf, who is a bit of an expert on owning bad teams, tried to sell everyone on a quick turnaround under Getz.

“The conclusion I came to is what we owe our fans and ourselves is not to waste any time,” Reinsdorf said. “We want to get better as fast as we possibly can. If I went outside, it would have taken anybody at least a year to evaluate the organization. I could have brought Branch Rickey back. It would have taken him a year to evaluate the organization.”

That kind of thinking makes you realize why Reinsdorf teams are so infuriating on a regular basis. (In a conversation with reporters, Reinsdorf also extolled the virtues of David Eckstein, which felt like a rejected joke from the “Fire Joe Morgan” website.)

In truth, no one knows what to expect from this team going forward, except that you don’t have to block off any dates for playoff games for the foreseeable future. The Sox still have some talent to build around (Luis Robert, Dylan Cease, Michael Kopech, Andrew Benintendi, Yoán Moncada and Eloy Jiménez) and a few highly touted prospects, led by shortstop Colson Montgomery. Can Getz and his new front office build a roster around the remaining talent? Hahn and Williams flopped in that regard and here we are.

Anderson was supposed to represent a brash, winning era of Sox baseball. He did for a fleeting few years. But the game didn’t change and neither did the Sox, who find themselves on the cusp of another rebuild as they look for a new identity.
https://theathletic.com/5031616/2023/11 ... -anderson/

Hard not to argue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:17 pm 

Hard to argue or hard not to argue? Not being a dick, I mean that genuinely.

The article seems centered on an emotional appeal to TA’s personality. I didn’t hate the guy as a player - I still think he’ll hit .300+ more often than not - but his shortcomings are well documented. I’m fine with them clearing the way for Montgomery.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Boyer's statement was basically "we aren't going to pay him so he was going to leave anyway."

The best choice is dead (Dave Wills). I wouldn't be surprised if Stone decides to retire to his gay vista in Arizona rather than put up with a new PBP guy who is going to be scared to criticize anything.

I'm going to throw a guess out there for his replacement: Tyler Murray, who broadcasts Red Sox AAA games on both radio and TV (NESN). The Red Sox AAA PBP alumni are scattered throughout baseball. And relatively speaking he would be cheap.

For any other job I'd put the Orioles PBP guy who got oddly suspended this year, but he and Jason were in the same booth at AAA Syracuse when Jason got the White Sox job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:21 pm 

I don’t care what Kasper wants, slides him over.

Kasper & Stone make a good booth. Let DJ one-man the AM call now that Dan Bernstein has officially killed the medium.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:22 pm 

LoHo would like to go on record right now to say he is not putting his hat in the ring for this one.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I don’t care what Kasper wants, slides him over.

Kasper & Stone make a good booth. Let DJ one-man the AM call now that Dan Bernstein has officially killed the medium.

They aren't going to pay Kasper more to get him to slide over.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hard to argue or hard not to argue? Not being a dick, I mean that genuinely.
Its an old inside board joke. Hard to argue with anything Greenberg wrote IMO.

I think Anderson was the face of the rebuild. Sox drafted and developed him, and the 'Change the Game' theme came from Anderson.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
RFDC wrote:
LoHo would like to go on record right now to say he is not putting his hat in the ring for this one.

:lol: Yep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
The criticism Benetti received on this board was warranted. He was constantly trying to prove he was the smartest guy in the room. He doesn't do that on his national broadcasts. If anything, he would have benefitted from being more vanilla on the Sox broadcasts.

As far as a replacement goes, they need somebody with pbp chops. Therefore, I sincerely hope they don't bring in Beckham or some other former player. I suppose we should follow the current trend and look to Kansas City. Danny Parkins used to work in Kansas City, so maybe...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
You know your organization is in the shitter when people rather go to Detroit :lol: :lol: :lol:

#SleepingGiants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
You know your organization is in the shitter when people rather go to Detroit

Poor Bob :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
RFDC wrote:

:lol: :lol:

He didn’t actually say this, did he?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:46 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
RFDC wrote:

:lol: Yep

He loves his current job and the people he works with too much, so despite overtures, he has to withdraw from consideration

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:48 pm 

what about Adam Amin?

like Chet, I wish Wills was still around. This job was made for him but JR would never hire a guy like him

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
what about Adam Amin?
Not a fan. He can stay with the Bulls.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:55 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Not that I heard, but with him I would not be surprised at all.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Ron Wolfley wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Somebody else will have more details but I recall he did say this once about some TV gig he wanted but was never going to get, like a 10pm sports anchor or something.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
RFDC wrote:

Actually LoHo would say he's withdrawing his name from consideration. He would want you to think he was actually being considered.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next