It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:33 pm 

The 2024 edition of Jerry Reinsdorf's search for more free money begins.
Already down 6-0 after a half an inning.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Morel!

#WavesOfTalent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:50 pm 

Tim Elko makes his bid to be the white Eloy Jimenez this year and puts one over the fence to cut the lead after 1 to only 6-1.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:38 pm 

Endured a Steve Stone interview with the new play by play guy in the third. Can't tell you what was said, but when John Schriffen gets on a roll, he sounds like when you play a 33 album on 45 speed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:27 pm 

Looks like the Cubs built their spring training facility facing the wrong direction.
PCA lost 2 in the sun and in the span of 5 minutes in center and allowed some runs to score for the White Sox.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:59 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
WestmontMike wrote:
Looks like the Cubs built their spring training facility facing the wrong direction.
PCA lost 2 in the sun and in the span of 5 minutes in center and allowed some runs to score for the White Sox.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:47 pm 

Heard several times over multiple broadcasts that not only are the White Sox better defensively anecdotally this year, but some predictive statistics are projecting them to be a top 10 defense this year.

Statistical analysis like this always makes me think of the words of the great Chicago Bears philosopher Greg Blache "Numbers are like your brother-in-law, they lie; they need to."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:29 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Culture & defense MLB team strengths = about 100 losses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:42 am 

Bad culture and poor defense for the white Sox 101 losses last year.
I agree that they should stress defense and fundamentals in rebuilding their minor league system. But this is just marketing propaganda.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:06 am 

It will be interesting who's anointed the Sox "highest quality human" during their culture rebuild.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:11 am 

Jim Thome. Peoria's finest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
vitscotti, among others, being triggered by the White Sox will never be unfunny.

Quote:
can they actually be worse
I guess technically they could, but they won't be. The White Sox are probably not going to be very good this year, but they could/should improve by about 10 wins over last year.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Ironically, they may be more watchable as they’re in an under promise/overdeliver situation.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

Maybe, but I think the fanbase has turned. Sox have really done some things to make them unlikable over the past couple years, on and off the field. Sox attendance is always a joke, but I believe this year there are going to be several games with just a few thousand fans. Early on if there are any sort of weather issues, the Upper Deck will be closed. When they have decent giveaway items on a weekend, they will sell 20K tickets, but there will not be that many in the stands. People will get their crewneck and turnaround to leave.

When they were bad in 2015, 2017, etc you had guys to watch. Chris Sale, Abreu, Anderson, Giolito, Moncada when he came up, etc. Now who do they have? Luis Robert is damn good but are Andrew Vaughn and Korey Lee guys who will make you attend a game or watch on TV? Probably not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I’m using myself as a weathervane.

Last year/this offseason I’d have packed their bags for Nashville. Now that we’ve had a few nice weather days and some reporting from Arizona, I’m less hostile.

I won’t watch nearly as often as I did before last year’s collapse, but I’ll try not to actively hate them when they’re on my TV.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

Apathy has set in. I genuinely do not care about the White Sox now, which is crazy to think because they were a huge part of my life for many years. I'm never going to root against them, but I do not care if they win or lose right meow.

I suppose if they are moving out of town, I would care.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Frank Coztansa wrote:
vitscotti, among others, being triggered by the White Sox will never be unfunny.

Quote:
I guess technically they could, but they won't be. The White Sox are probably not going to be very good this year, but they could/should improve by about 10 wins over last year.

I will say after a couple decades of Billy Beaneism of "who gives a shit about defense, let's get walks", and that the spectacular defenses of Texas and Arizona got them where they got, the White Sox are at least on the right track. It cuts the nibbling and unnecessary walks. They also have two starters who, I HOPE, have been told the same thing. You don't learn anything walking guys. I'm taking over 63 on general principle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:14 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I’m using myself as a weathervane.

Last year/this offseason I’d have packed their bags for Nashville. Now that we’ve had a few nice weather days and some reporting from Arizona, I’m less hostile.

I won’t watch nearly as often as I did before last year’s collapse, but I’ll try not to actively hate them when they’re on my TV.

The collapse last year started after April 5th (the last day they were .500). 3 weeks later, they were a dozen games under .500 and dead in the water. They were a tough watch.
The bar is pretty low this year and I don't expect much improvement as far as wins are concerned.
My only hope is when prospects are brought up, I can see some evidence that they know how to play baseball. Losing baseball is one thing. Compounding it with dumb mistakes that would be embarrassing for a high school team is total BS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Nardi wrote:
I'm taking over 63 on general principle.

yesterday i took over 205 on Magic-Hornets even tho the Hornets are brutal and the Magic don't score a ton- but to score 205 points in a 2024 NBA game just out of principle.
Ended 101-89 and they had to scrape in the 2nd half to get to that even.

i'll take under 63

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:27 pm 

Bagels wrote:
Nardi wrote:
I'm taking over 63 on general principle.

yesterday i took over 205 on Magic-Hornets even tho the Hornets are brutal and the Magic don't score a ton- but to score 205 points in a 2024 NBA game just out of principle.
Ended 101-89 and they had to scrape in the 2nd half to get to that even.

i'll take under 63

Fine. Then I'll take Detroit over 80.5. As soon as I put down the bet, all their pitchers' arms will fall off and I'll lose for the 3rd consecutive year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:47 pm 

WestmontMike wrote:

the sun is straight up in arizona, mike.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Quote:

I will say after a couple decades of Billy Beaneism of "who gives a shit about defense, let's get walks", and that the spectacular defenses of Texas and Arizona got them where they got, the White Sox are at least on the right track. It cuts the nibbling and unnecessary walks. They also have two starters who, I HOPE, have been told the same thing. You don't learn anything walking guys. I'm taking over 63 on general principle.

I like the idea of having a good defense, but I'm not going to trust this new fangled defense until I see it in action. I have a suspicion that it's just being used as a cover to bring in cheap and mediocre players.

This team doesn't have a bullpen and I'm not someone who thinks that Jimenez, Moncada, Robert, and Vaughn are going to turn into a dynamic heart of the order. Therefore, it's going to go as far as it's starting pitching takes it. If: (1) they hold onto Cease, (2) this Fede guy actually found something pitching in Korea, and (3) they get something from Kopech, Crochet, or one of the scrap heap guys, they'll easily clear 63 wins. If they don't, they're going to be as bad as they were at the end of last year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Wait 63 is the over/under?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:39 am 

99 or under loses or bust

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
If I have seen anything over the years with the ebb and flow of Chicago baseball it is this... The Sox will be better than thought this year and the Cubs will be worse. The totals, no idea? It is invariably true though that Cub fans will over value last year and Sox Fans will be pessimistic after last year.

They will probably both be around 500.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
Fine. Then I'll take Detroit over 80.5. As soon as I put down the bet, all their pitchers' arms will fall off and I'll lose for the 3rd consecutive year.
Javy Baez is 0fer Spring so far :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:01 pm 

If Jerry sold in 2006, he would have been a baseball owner 18 years less than he has been. Think about that guys. 18 fucking years you will never get back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:52 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Nardi wrote:

His tags are worth 3 wins. You know this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:07 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Nardi wrote:

His tags are worth 3 wins. You know this.

The Tim Anderson vs J.Baez talk didn't age well. Which is better, "Baez's tags or Anderson's bat flips?" is all that we have left to debate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:40 am 

Worst home run call ever?