It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:30 pm 

There is no way they finish the year with only 40 wins. There are just too many games and it is almost impossible to not win some.

60 is the lowest anyone should be thinking.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Bagels wrote:
but Bob can't even make a 2 foot putt

Everyone's a critic, breakfast sandwich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
There is no way they finish the year with only 40 wins. There are just too many games and it is almost impossible to not win some.

This is closer to accurate. Some of their hitters, even if there are questions on them (like Vaughn) are also not hitting. Some of these players will have some production.

The overall issue is the talent is just very bad. The starting rotation is not major league quality - 2 or 3 of these guys are, at best, Triple A, fill-ins. It will be hard to be consistent (or in the White Sox case, win even 40% of their games) if the starters are this bad and their more proven hitters aren't producing.

Whether it's 40 wins or 60 wins, there isn't much to take from this roster though. I know they have a decent minor league system so maybe some hope for the future, but if they refuse to spend.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
RFDC wrote:

Honestly, have you watched more than couple innings of Sox baseball this year? We've certainly had some poor teams on the Southside over the last decade, but this is a whole new level of bad. The offense struggles to score 2 runs a game. They have 8 HR and 31 RBI has a team.
Sox just gave up 27 runs and 4 HRs the past 3 games to the Reds.

Sox won 61 games last season. The 2024 edition is much worse than last year's club.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
i think i'd go between 50-60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:45 pm 

I completely get that this is a really bad team. But it is just about impossible to only win 40 games. The Oakland team last year was brutal as well and they got to 50.

Even the worst of teams have some stretches where they play decent and get a few wins.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
I completely get that this is a really bad team. But it is just about impossible to only win 40 games. The Oakland team last year was brutal as well and they got to 50.

Even the worst of teams have some stretches where they play decent and get a few wins.
You would think so, but since the AS break last season, the White Sox are 25-60. That extrapolates to 47.6 wins over a 162 game season. They haven't won a series since August 4-6 last season. They haven't won a series in April since 2022.

The 2003 Tigers were the worst team in recent memory at 49-113. This year's White Sox is going to come close to that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:

You would think so, but since the AS break last season, the White Sox are 25-60. That extrapolates to 47.6 wins over a 162 game season. They haven't won a series since August 4-6 last season. They haven't won a series in April since 2022.

The 2003 Tigers were the worst team in recent memory at 49-113. This year's White Sox is going to come close to that.

You do make a strong case that they this team may be even worse than we are projecting. They have been historically bad for awhile now.

Unless they start bringing up some of their better young talent, which seems like a bad idea this year if they aren't ready, guys like Siroka and Flexen are probably not major league starters and Crochet is not a #1, and will eventually be limited by innings (and probably regression). Most days, there are 5 to 6 easy outs in that lineup - it's really hard too Maldonado, Lopez, Shewmake, DeJong and Pillar ever be anything but bad.

Vaughn, Benintendi, Jiminez and Sheets probably need to carry this offense and they have to hope Fletcher becomes a productive hitter. Is Vaughn anything more than average though? Yes, he's better than he's been, but there just isn't much upside here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
They haven't won a series since August 4-6 last season.

now that's pretty crazy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:05 pm 

every cub loss is like a win so add 81 to whichever number you like

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:05 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:

and this roster is even worse than the crap they had post-AS break last season. It sucks, because I enjoy watching baseball, but I haven't watched more than a few innings since going to opening day. The thought of watching them this weekend didn't even cross my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
BD wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:

You do make a strong case that they this team may be even worse than we are projecting. They have been historically bad for awhile now.

Unless they start bringing up some of their better young talent, which seems like a bad idea this year if they aren't ready, guys like Siroka and Flexen are probably not major league starters and Crochet is not a #1, and will eventually be limited by innings (and probably regression). Most days, there are 5 to 6 easy outs in that lineup - it's really hard too Maldonado, Lopez, Shewmake, DeJong and Pillar ever be anything but bad.

Vaughn, Benintendi, Jiminez and Sheets probably need to carry this offense and they have to hope Fletcher becomes a productive hitter. Is Vaughn anything more than average though? Yes, he's better than he's been, but there just isn't much upside here.

Almost any player above replacement level will be traded the last week of July if they are not on the IL. Maybe not Benintendi because of his contract.

They are very likely to finish out the season 13-39 in their last 52.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
BD wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Almost any player above replacement level will be traded the last week of July if they are not on the IL. Maybe not Benintendi because of his contract.

Another good point, but I don't know who we are even talking about. Maybe there's a reliever or two that can be moved, Jimenez if he stays healthy, but I think the demand for White Sox players will be somewhat limited.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
I have good news for White Sox fans....that 2003 Tigers team parlayed their historically bad season into a transformative player, Justin Verlander in the 2004 draft. What transformative player will the White Sox redeem in the 2025 draft? Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
BD wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I'm trying really hard to take the emotion / bias out of this, but seriously....I cannot think of a worse roster in my lifetime. As a said before....they'll get 40 wins. I'd bet money they don't get 50. They seriously may challenge that 2003 Detroit team with 43 wins.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
BD wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
BD wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Another good point, but I don't know who we are even talking about. Maybe there's a reliever or two that can be moved, Jimenez if he stays healthy, but I think the demand for White Sox players will be somewhat limited.

Pham if he hits anywhere like he did last year, Robert if he is healthy and playing, someone will add Eloy, Vaughn can probably be a bench bat (hey, the Marlins took Burger last year), maybe a reliever having a good year. Moncada probably won't be back in time, and the veteran starters are all junk pile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Honestly, have you watched more than couple innings of Sox baseball this year? We've certainly had some poor teams on the Southside over the last decade, but this is a whole new level of bad. The offense struggles to score 2 runs a game. They have 8 HR and 31 RBI has a team.

Sox won 61 games last season. The 2024 edition is much worse than last year's club.

Here's the funny bad part. Chris Getz/Pedro Grifol's defense is WORSE. I was under the impression that,"yeah, we'll suck but we'll be able to catch the ball and we're going to stop walking 8 guys a game."

5th most in BBs
27th in defense.

They are terrible at everything. 60 wins? Where will they come from? Defense, offense, or pitching?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Caller Bob wrote:
I have good news for White Sox fans....that 2003 Tigers team parlayed their historically bad season into a transformative player, Justin Verlander in the 2004 draft. What transformative player will the White Sox redeem in the 2025 draft? Stay tuned!

Apparently 10th is the highest they can draft next year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
This is the first I have heard of this.

Nardi wrote:
60 wins? Where will they come from? Defense, offense, or pitching?
Twins plane crash, so the Sox get like 10 wins via forfeit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:15 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Nardi wrote:

It was on the Score today- it is the new Collective Bargaining rules.

https://www.mlb.com/news/draft-rule-cha ... th-new-cba

“ Teams that receive revenue-sharing payouts can't receive a lottery pick for more than two years in a row and those that don't can't get a top-six choice in consecutive Drafts. Furthermore, a club that's ineligible for the lottery can't select higher than 10th overall.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hmm. Are you sure? I thought I remember reading a blurb from a blurb in this section about the Sox not getting a top ten pick about a hundred or so times, but I cannot be certain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Nardi wrote:

“ Teams that receive revenue-sharing payouts can't receive a lottery pick for more than two years in a row and those that don't can't get a top-six choice in consecutive Drafts. Furthermore, a club that's ineligible for the lottery can't select higher than 10th overall.”

I wonder if the White Sox are aware of this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:30 pm 

I just heard it on the Score today and then researched the new draft rules. So it looks like 10th is the top pick they can get for the 2025 draft. I believe they are 5th this year.

I am not certain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Here's the funny bad part. Chris Getz/Pedro Grifol's defense is WORSE. I was under the impression that,"yeah, we'll suck but we'll be able to catch the ball and we're going to stop walking 8 guys a game."

5th most in BBs
27th in defense.

They are terrible at everything. 60 wins? Where will they come from? Defense, offense, or pitching?

That is what they sold to us. Great defense, better brand of baseball.

It's much worse so far.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hmm. Are you sure? I thought I remember reading a blurb from a blurb in this section about the Sox not getting a top ten pick about a hundred or so times, but I cannot be certain. :evil:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
denisdman wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Dennis, perhaps you were lounging on the beach in Belize during this scintillating back and forth...
https://chicagofanatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=131746&p=4024925&hilit=Cashman#p4024925

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:45 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hmm. Are you sure? I thought I remember reading a blurb from a blurb in this section about the Sox not getting a top ten pick about a hundred or so times, but I cannot be certain. :evil:

:lol:

Oh geesh. Sorry. I got it. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:45 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Dennis, perhaps you were lounging on the beach in Belize during this scintillating back and forth...
https://chicagofanatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=131746&p=4024925&hilit=Cashman#p4024925

LOL, hard to keep up around here even though I am pretty active.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
denisdman wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
denisdman wrote:

LOL, hard to keep up around here even though I am pretty active.

Murph wrote:
Miss a little, miss a lot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:55 pm 

I actually caught the posts about the value of the second round pick, but I did not know the genesis of the argument.

Put me in the camp as one who thinks they find a way to get to 60 wins.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next