It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who replaces Contreras?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

We saw Clayton Richard. We don't want to see that again. Carrasko could do it I suppose. I say bring up Lance Broadway. See what he can do.

This isn't the end of the world. What? About 9 starts left for Jose's spot? You can go to a 4 man rotation with the scheduled off days. So maybe you only need 6 or 5 starts from someone.

I say Broadway. What the hell. Even if we stay with the "5 man rotation" if we can get the Sox to go 4-5 in those starts we'd be fine. Broadway doesn't even have to get the wins. Just find a way to pull out 4 wins when he starts.

By the way, Jose is out for a full year. That's what Sox team doctors have said. So he'll be ready for next year's playoff push.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
The White Sox have acquired pitcher Horacio Ramirez in a waiver deal with the Royals for a Class "A" outfielder. It's unclear if the lefty will be used in the bullpen like he was used in Kansas City, or if he'll be used as a starter like he was used in Atlanta. D.J. Carrasco did a real good job in 4 1/3 innings of long relief this eve...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:35 pm 

TeeLander wrote:
He was good in ATL, but ended up with a shoulder injury.

alos have to reall think about a team in your divsion giving you a guy? This guy has to be terrible
I think the Sox made another deal in their own division about 2 years ago, also with K.C. Remember Andrew Sisco? This lefty was a bust with the Royals, and hasn't fared much better on the Southside. The rarely-used Ross Gload, a first baseman/outfielder, was sent to the Royals in return for Sisco. :oops: I believe Andrew's on the 60 day DL, and hasn't seen the diamond this season...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

He has like a 2.40 ERA with the Royals in 15 games this year. I'll take it. Even if he breaks down it's worth a shot. Didn't give up much.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:55 pm 

Beardown wrote:
He has like a 2.40 ERA with the Royals in 15 games this year. I'll take it. Even if he breaks down it's worth a shot. Didn't give up much.
Point very well taken about Horacio, Beardown...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:15 pm 

Just as a FYI, he hasnt started a game this year, so I am pretty sure the sox are still short a starter at this point.

Last edited by RodeoVann on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:21 pm 

RodeoVann wrote:
Just as a FYI, he has started a game this year, so I am pretty sure they are still short a starter at this point.
Rodeo, given the fact the A's are already humming "Wait 'Til Next Year", you think a deal with Justin Duchscherer is still possible? Keep in mind that waivers make it tougher to make a deal possible...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:24 pm 

SHARK wrote:
RodeoVann wrote:
Just as a FYI, he has started a game this year, so I am pretty sure they are still short a starter at this point.
Rodeo, given the fact the A's are already humming "Wait 'Til Next Year", you think a deal with Justin Duchscherer is still possible? Keep in mind that waivers make it tougher to make a deal possible...

Nope, not when waivers are involved.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:26 pm 

Justin Duchscherer, I doubt would clear waivers. I dont like to stick my nose in sox business :lol: in fear Kenny will have me whacked, but I did read were Greg Maddux cleared waivers, he would have to approve the trade, but for the white sox, that would be a nice short term fix.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:37 pm 

Three words concerning Greg Maddux & the White Sox...Slim & none.... :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:39 pm 

Jason Marquis for Brian Anderson...anyone? Hello?.... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:44 pm 

RodeoVann wrote:

Well, Brian isn't doing anything for the White Sox since Ken Griffey Jr. came this way... :lol: You think he'll soon be holding up a sign in the Sox dugout real soon? You know..."Will Work for Playing Time" or something like that? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:59 am 

RodeoVann wrote:

Was thinking Marquis also. As a Cub fan, Hendry should tell Kenny they will pay half his salary next season, just to dump his sorry ass.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:38 am 
1000 CLUB

I would prefer to call up a minor leaguer to take Contreras' spot - Hopefully Ramirez can fill Boone Logan's role (shouldn't be too difficult) but D.J. Carrasco has been one of our few dependable middle relievers of late - I don't want to lose this guy given in the bullpen given how effective he has been. Contreras' role in the rotation is likely to be a disaster though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:47 am 

Here is my take. Corosco (sp?) has been a welcome suprise to the bullpen. He is a strength out there at this point. Why take away a strength in the pen by having him start? I say bring up Broadway or try to make a waiver deal for a starter. There has to be someone out there that would clear that would be equal to Jose for 8 or 9 starts. Then, in the off-season you go get a starter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:04 am 
1000 CLUB

Maddux.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:11 am 

From a cub fan, For my south side friends :wink:

Players Who Cleared Waivers
By Tim Dierkes [August 10 at 12:28am CST]

I will make this post a permanent sidebar link. This is a running list of players who have cleared waivers, based on published reports. Once a player clears waivers, he can be traded to any team (barring a no-trade clause).

Updated 8-10-08 at 12:25am

Paul Byrd - Despite the scarcity of available starting pitching, no team was willing to take on the remainder of Byrd's $7.5MM salary.

Greg Maddux - Maddux is earning $10MM this year and will only accept a trade to a West Coast team. The Dodgers wanted him but asked the Padres to pay more than 80% of his remaining salary according to Peter Gammons.

Duaner Sanchez - His velocity is down 3.6 mph from '06. Sanchez is under team control through '09.

Scott Schoeneweis - His strikeout rate is down, but so is his ERA. Apparently no team wanted to risk taking on his contract - $3.6MM this year, $3.6MM in '09.
Jarrod Washburn - Mariners sources told beat writer Geoff Baker that Washburn cleared. The Mariners may have overplayed their hand here. Washburn is set to earn $10.35MM next year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: home run inn
ozzies brother in law fat freedy garicia anyone ???

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:28 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Maddux would have an ERA of about 15 at the Cell. He's a flyball pitcher, and flyballs there can turn into homeruns with relative ease.

Ramierez was the guy who hit Dye twice in the same knee in about a 17 hour span.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

Albert Hofmann wrote:
I dont think $7.5M is too much to ask for Paul Byrd considering how hot he has been his past few starts. If they are serious about winning the division they will pick up a SP off waivers. We saw with Richard the results of taking a flyer on a minor leaguer is.

Paul Byrd has pitched well of late, but I don't think he's going to be the difference down the stretch. We'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:
Here is my take. Corosco (sp?) has been a welcome suprise to the bullpen. He is a strength out there at this point. Why take away a strength in the pen by having him start? I say bring up Broadway or try to make a waiver deal for a starter. There has to be someone out there that would clear that would be equal to Jose for 8 or 9 starts. Then, in the off-season you go get a starter.

I'm in agreement with you, and they did bring up Broadway today. At least, he's had some major league success, albeit in meaningless September games.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:11 pm 

The Rockies have DFA'd Kip Wells to make room for Livan Hernandez. Wells had a 5.27 ERA over 27.1 innings for the Rockies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

RodeoVann wrote:
The Rockies have DFA'd Kip Wells to make room for Livan Hernandez. Wells had a 5.27 ERA over 27.1 innings for the Rockies.

If he's healthy, I'd be interested.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Sign him up. He can't do much worse than Vazquez has done the past 8 starts.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

J.Washburn anyone? White Sox expecting to make a waiver claim...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:12 pm 

I was listening to "Hit & Run" yesterday, and the marquee name being mentioned is lefty Jarrod Washburn, who was supposed to be traded from the Mariners to the Yankees before the trade deadline last month. The deal seemed to fall apart when the Yanks & M's couldn't agree on compensation, I believe. Co-host George Ofman reminded a caller who mentioned Jarrod that he's supposed to earn a lot of $$$$ from Seattle next season. If I'm not mistaken, Washburn signed a whopper of a free agent contract a few years ago to leave the Anaheim Angels for the Seattle Mariners...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:39 pm 

It will NOT be Jarrod Washburn coming to aid the White Sox in the wake of Contreras' season ending injury. Even though he cleared waivers with the Seattle Mariners, their #56 is supposed to earn $10.35 million in the last year of a four year, $37.5 million contract Jarrod signed with Seattle as a free agent. Besides, he wouldn't have worn #56 with the silver & black.