It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Fans, you may have noticed a new backup infielder for the White Sox called up before yesterday's game vs. the Red Sox. Chris Getz, a left-handed hitting second baseman wearing #39, was recalled from Triple "A" Charlotte to replace the struggling Joshua Fields on the active Sox roster. It may not seem like much right now, but with all the talk about Alexei Ramirez switching to shortstop for the 2009 season, there's talk that Getz may be the team's opening day second baseman coming out of spring training next March. While I hope Getz trades in #39 for a more respectful number such as #6, #15 or maybe #27 next season, this young man seemed to impress Ozzie before being one of the last cuts of the Cactus League. The plan right now is to use Getz at second and give red hot Alexei Ramirez a breather in the very near future.

Last edited by SHARK on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

What were his minor league stats, Shark? Get on that. I want it before 4pm. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:59 pm 

Ask and you shall receive. Getz was hitting .306 with 11 HR & 51 RBI's for Triple "A" Charlotte, and sported #11 for the Knights. He won't wear that number here, though, because it was retired for Luis Aparicio...I almost forgot. #1 is available after Danny Richar got traded to Cincinnati in the Ken Griffey, Jr. deal & "Griff" wouldn't accept Nick Swisher's offer to trade #30 for #1...For the record, Orlando Hudson's season in Arizona is OVER after dislocating a bone in his wrist over the weekend vs. the Braves at Chase Field. Hudson had reportedly been on the Sox radar to take over at second, but injuries have cut his season short each of the last 2 seasons in the desert.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:06 pm 

I read that Getz played 2B, SS, 3B and LF in the minors. I think the Sox see him as a utility man more than the everyday 2B. If Ramirez moves to SS next season the 2B would have to hit leadoff. Though Getz had a .367 OBP in the minors this season I'm not sure they want a rookie hitting leadoff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:16 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
I read that Getz played 2B, SS, 3B and LF in the minors. I think the Sox see him as a utility man more than the everyday 2B. If Ramirez moves to SS next season the 2B would have to hit leadoff. Though Getz had a .367 OBP in the minors this season I'm not sure they want a rookie hitting leadoff.
Getz also stole 11 bases for the Charlotte Knights, and had participated in the MLB Futures Game at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, along with the "Futures of Fenway" game in Boston's legendary ballpark this past Saturday before he got the call-up after the fiasco at "The Cell" where the White Sox lost more than the game. Ozzie plans on using Getz mainly at second, according to Chris DeLuca's Sox notebook in the Sun-Times today.