It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Ahhh....the Jerry Reinsdorf way of life.

Offer the guy a job he won't take, or at least he will make every effort to find soemthing else equal to this radio gig, then nobody can say they fired DJ. Blah Blah Blah

And at least that promotes a great working environment for DJ and Stoney.

Hey, but if DJ stays, you can look forward to that weird Farmio/Dj conversations just like Singlio.

"when you played did you wear a jock?"
'when you played did you like gum?"
"when you played did you like playing?"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
White Sox announce Steve Stone to take over television color analyst duties in 2009
Former White Sox pitcher to replace Darrin Jackson in television booth; Jackson offered radio color analyst role

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox today announced that Steve Stone will take over color analyst duties for White Sox television broadcasts starting in 2009. The club's agreement with Stone is a six-year deal, through 2014, with a club option for 2015.
Stone, the former Cy Young Award winner, White Sox pitcher, current White Sox radio color analyst and 2008 Ford C. Frick Award nominee, will team with legendary play-by-play announcer Ken "Hawk" Harrelson. Harrelson, also a 2008 Frick Award nominee, is presently in his 19th consecutive season in the White Sox television booth.

The organization also announced today that it will not exercise the club's 2009 option for current television color analyst Darrin Jackson. The White Sox have offered Jackson the analyst role on the team's radio broadcasts in 2009 and are awaiting a decision from Jackson.

"Steve Stone is one of the very best analysts in the game," said Brooks Boyer, White Sox vice president and chief marketing officer. "We are extremely pleased to match Steve and Hawk in the White Sox television booth in 2009 and do it in a manner that keeps Steve as a long-term member of the organization. We feel our fans and casual baseball fans across the country will appreciate what this team of Chicago broadcast icons will bring to the table each and every telecast."

"When I first came to Chicago in 1973, it was as a White Sox player. I truly believe that there is a great symmetry with the ability to stay a part of the White Sox family," said Stone. "This has been a great season on the South Side and I cannot thank Jerry Reinsdorf enough for bringing me back to baseball broadcasting, along with Ed Farmer, my partner in the booth this season, for making me feel at home in what is one of the top organizations in Major League Baseball."

"In 2007, Hawk and I worked together on six White Sox game telecasts," said Stone. "I felt a great deal of chemistry between us then, and it is with a great deal of excitement that I look forward to partnering with one of the great play-by-play men in the game."

Chicago White Sox games are televised locally on Comcast SportsNet, WGN-TV and WCIU-TV.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:32 pm 

So I assume WSCR will keep Stone on as their Chicago baseball expert too. Nothing like having an everyday broadcaster for the Sox providing analysis about the Cubs.

This move (stone to tv) is an easy one. He will help out that broadcast 100%. Sox fans should be pretty happy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:47 pm 
100000 CLUB

walkrman5 wrote:
Nothing like having an everyday broadcaster for the Sox providing analysis about the Cubs.

Or a Cub pre and post game host in Dan Plesac providing analysis for the Sox as is the case on Comcast and ESPN1000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Come on Frank. Your Sox Paranoia is showing.

While Plesac did pitch for the Cubs for 2 years, he was a middle relief mop up guy and played for 7 or 8 other teams. Dan Plesac is about as much of a lifelong Cub guy as Shawn Hillegas is a lifelong Sox guy.

It's like when FOX bringing in Todd Holandsworth to try and play the role of Ex cub player. Who the fuck are they fooling?

If Plesac was part of some great team, I could see him being known as an all time Ex cub. The guy played on bad teams as well.

I would think Sox fans would have more an issue with a guy who had 20+ years of announcing Cub games as their new color guy. He has plenty of Cub love left, even while taking shots at Hendry all day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Nothing like having an everyday broadcaster for the Sox providing analysis about the Cubs.

Or a Cub pre and post game host in Dan Plesac providing analysis for the Sox as is the case on Comcast and ESPN1000

Remember, Pleasac did grow up a Sox fan, if that means anything. It's not like he's Ron Santo. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I think you know where I stand on this one. 670 "The SCORE" should spend the $$$$ & place a phone call to St. Petersburg, FL to get Dave Wills back. Ed Farmer may have worked with a true PBP in John Rooney, but "Farmio" is no Rooney as a PBP voice. Wills may have a lot to be excited about now with the Tampa Bay Rays, but trust me, folks. I've met the man when he was the pre & postgame host on the Sox former flagship, and it would be a major upgrade to have Dave calling his hometown team and sliding Farmer back to analyzing the games like he used to for 18 years. I don't know if you'd rather have "Black" Jack McDowell, another former Sox pitcher just like Eddie, who pinch hit for Steve on a couple of occasions earlier this season & keep Farmer as the PBP voice on the Chicago White Sox Radio Network.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:27 pm 

Stone is much better on TV, but I wonder if they will need a bigger booth with the two huge egos of Hawk and Stone. Should be wonderful to hear stone do play by play when hawk leaves for 3 innings if the sox are losing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:34 pm 

RodeoVann wrote:
Stone is much better on TV, but I wonder if they will need a bigger booth with the two huge egos of Hawk and Stone. Should be wonderful to hear stone do play by play when hawk leaves for 3 innings if the sox are losing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

DJ offered radio WHAT gig? ;)

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:47 am 

2 down, 2 to go. If only Hawk or Farmio would do something to fall out of JR's good graces.

Great news and you could see this one coming a mile away. DJ never distinguished himself as a broadcaster in this city. In his defense, Hawk did nothing to make life easy for him.

SHARK, I love your idea about Wills. Didn't Mac indicate he burned some bridges on his way out?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:52 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
SHARK, I love your idea about Wills. Didn't Mac indicate he burned some bridges on his way out?

I think that was moreso with ESPN1000, and not necessarily the White Sox.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Panther pislA wrote:
Did anyone see DJ's first game since the news (i.e. Today, Sunday Sept. 14th, game 1)?

I wonder if he commented on it or if he sounded shocked, insulted, humbled . . .

That is a fucking shit sandwich to have to go back o work after Steve Stone blathes incessantly about stealing your job.

Thats just stupid. Thats like saying Carlos Quentin stole Scott Podsednik's job. Steve Stone is a FAR better color man. They decided to put their best color commentator on the Television broadcast, rather than keeping him on radio. Makes sense. Generally the better guy is going to be doing the TV work. Just as the team decides each year to make changes to try to improve the team on the field, they have made a move to upgrade their broadcast of the team. If D.J. walks, so what? He's okay, but nothing special. Steve Stone is a premiere color man. This move should have been made when he was hired. It's nice for D.J. that they give him the option to stay on for radio. Stoney didn't STEAL anyones job. The job was offered to him, based on the fact that it was determined that he was the best man for that job.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Plus, TV money is way better than radio money for local announcers. By a couple hundred grand at least. I'm pretty sure I heard Hawk gets a million a year. Stone won't get that but he'll get 600k. He worked under Singleton's contract last year. I'll bet that was only 100k.

So it's more money and you work less. Radio is 162. You do all the games. With FOX and ESPN Sunday games sometimes Hawk and DJ get weekends off. It's probably 15 to 20 games that FOX and ESPN do the Sox exclusivley in a given year. That's a nice break for the local TV guys.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:03 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I would also really like to see Tommy John get the nod.

I have a strong suspicion that the radio job is being reserved for a minority candidate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:10 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I would also really like to see Tommy John get the nod.

I have a strong suspicion that the radio job is being reserved for a minority candidate.

Tommy John was on a Saturday morning show after the White Sox won the World Series on 670 AM, and he sounded more than interested in becoming the team's radio analyst once John Rooney left to take a similar job with the St. Louis Cardinals on their radio network. That was before Sox V.P. of Marketing & Broadcasting Brooks Boyer decided to go with Chris Singleton, who has since joined ESPN. I'm not sure if 'SCR management & the Sox will give Tommy another chance. Another former pitcher, "Black" Jack McDowell, sounded good when he pinch hit on a West coast road trip for Stone earlier this season.