It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Return of Rowand?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
White Sox fans, where have we heard this before? It's well documented that since he left after the team's World Championship season of 2005, the center field situation has been a gaping hole since Aaron Rowand left for Philadelphia and now San Francisco. Could the Sox be pondering bringing #33 back to the South side? That's what the Sun-Times & the SCORE's Joe Cowley wrote today in his "In Brief" notebook. With DeWayne Wise and his separated shoulder possibly sidelined until June, and the team not exactly giving Brian Anderson and/or the just recalled Jerry Owens a ringing endorsement to take over the job in Wise's absence, there's a rumor that the Sox might be looking at bringing Rowand back in a possible deal with the Giants. Here's the catch...Would the Giants be willing to pay a big chunk of paying the $44 million left on Aaron's contract? If that deal falls through, and the Sox continue to get little production from Anderson & Owens, another scenario could be sending Alexei Ramirez back to center and recalling Gordon Beckham from the Double "A" farm in Birmingham. It's also unclear what would happen with Scott Podsednik, who could be more than just insurance at Triple "A" Charlotte, now that he's signed a minor league deal and many feel his best days are behind him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
the giants are not going to eat 90% of that deal, so he will not be coming to the sox.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:22 pm 

He'd be overpriced at half the salary.

I'd rather let Anderson fail, then let Owens fail, then let Wise come back and fail, then let Podsednik fail until finally making a crappy August trade.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I think the likely scenario if the one-dimensional Brian Anderson flops in center field is that Gordon Beckham gets called up from Double "A" Birmingham as soon as June, plays shortstop instead of second base with the big club. Chris Getz stays where he's at as the everyday second baseman, while Alexei Ramirez goes out to center field. The Sox will read Anderson the riot act and then send his sorry bat down to Triple "A" Charlotte if he can't get it done...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:49 am 
1000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
the giants are not going to eat 90% of that deal, so he will not be coming to the sox.

Correct.

End of Discussion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:57 pm 

And I think at this point, they are not going to move Alexei to center field because your middle of the diamond defense would get much worse.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:57 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
I'd rather let Anderson fail, then let Owens fail, then let Wise come back and fail, then let Podsednik fail until finally making a crappy August trade.

Yes.

I understand Rowand was good in 2005, but c'mon he is not the savior. He plays solid defense, yes. But, he also is a shitty baserunner and tends to airmail the cutoff man more times than not, in hopes of trying to nail a runner at the plate who is going to be safe by 3 steps even with a perfect throw.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:13 am 

By the way, even with a bad average, Anderson is getting on base at about a .400 pace. I'll take it.