It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sox @O's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Figures, another kid making his MLB debut shuts the Sox down. I should expect nothing else. :roll:

Good job dancing around a power hitter with 2 outs, Jose :evil:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject: Re: Sox @O's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
I don't know why thome didn't take the bat off of his shoulder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

yeesh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: home run inn
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Figures, another kid making his MLB debut shuts the Sox down. I should expect nothing else. :roll:

Good job dancing around a power hitter with 2 outs, Jose :evil:

happens to the sox more than anyone in baseball i belive when a call up starts he liine is usually 7ip 6ks 3bb 1er

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Whenever the White Sox see a pitcher they've NEVER seen before, bad results usually follow, and that was the case last night with Orioles' no-name Brad Bergesen in his ML debut. Like the Sox hitters, I'd never heard of Bergesen, but he did just enough to earn his first win in the majors allowing 3 runs, only 1 earned in 5 2/3 innings last night following a rain delay that lasted about an hour, 35 minutes at Camden Yards. Tonight, they'll face a guy in Jeremy Guthrie that they've had past success with. Hopefully, it'll be worth pre-empting "The Insider", "The King of Queens", "Tyler Perry's House of Payne", and the first half hour of "The Bernie Mac Show" on WCIU 26 "The U" and the White Sox Television Network this eve...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Nick&Vito's
Leadoff Hitter scores in the first inning ...who are these guys?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:15 pm 

Todays pick to click..Alexi Ramirez..i hope as he is on my fantasy team and has yet to chip in on my subpar start to the season. :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:19 pm 

Nick Markakis's balls have to be killing him..considering all the swinging that hawk and "stone pony" have been doing from them for two days now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:29 pm 

Danks gave up 1 run in 7 innings and his ERA rose from 0.75 to 0.95. This kid is dealing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Keyser Soze wrote:
Danks gave up 1 run in 7 innings and his ERA rose from 0.75 to 0.95. This kid is dealing.

I said a couple months ago I thought Danks was going to have a big year, a Cy Young type of year. I like this kid, a lot. His arrow is pointing up and the sky is the limit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:38 pm 

No doubt about it. Danks is a stud.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:59 pm 

i wonder if mr. belvidere will say he's the second best sox player ever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

W_Z wrote:
i wonder if mr. belvidere will say he's the second best sox player ever.

Yeah probably, when his head makes its weekly excursion out of his ass.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:25 pm 

Even though third baseman Josh Fields muscled a two-run homer and DH Jim Thome hit one to the opposite field in front of a lot of empty seats at Camden Yards, the rest of their runs tonight were manufactured. Second baseman Chris Getz appears to have solidified the lead off spot for the forseeable future, as #17 went 3-for-4 with 2 RBI's & 3 runs scored tonight, and I believe he's now hitting over .300. Fields went 3-for-5 with the two-run homer, a single & double in the #2 spot...Heck, even center fielder Brian Anderson went 2-for-4 in this one. Tonight's win in Baltimore was as good as it could get.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:54 pm 

Don't say "even" with Anderson. His average is creeping up to .300 and his OBP is over .400. He has certainly taken advantage of the break he got so far.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:03 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Don't say "even" with Anderson. His average is creeping up to .300 and his OBP is over .400. He has certainly taken advantage of the break he got so far.

Good Dolphin, this is a golden opportunity for #32 in silver & black to FINALLY take control of the center field job once and for all. I'm sorry that I'm tough on Brian Anderson, but for the longest time, he's been a one-dimensional ballplayer whenever he's played. We all know he's got a really good glove, but he's been terrible at the plate to a point where Ozzie has turned center field into a rotating door since Aaron Rowand left. Fans have constantly called the Ranger and other shows on both sports talk radio stations clamoring for Anderson to play, but his inability to hit Major League pitching has kept Brian on the bench until now. Anderson can make it awfully hard for DeWayne Wise to regain the starting center field job, even when he comes back from his separated shoulder in June...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

I have been saying all winter that they should let Anderson play and give him three months to succeed or fail. Forget about Jerry Owens and DeWayne Wise and let Anderson play baseball.
I hope Ozzie has finally dropped the grudge he seemed to have had against Anderson from 2006. I have always thought he could have been an overall upgrade over Rowand, minus "the Fire and the Passion" of course.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:14 pm 

You are quite the soothsayer, Reason.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

Keyser Soze wrote:

Don't patronize me, Keyser. I know you have been of the same opinion.
I just never understood what Ozzie had against BA. He is and has always been the best option in center, Rob Mackowiak notwithstanding. You think Oswaldo has finally figured that out?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:49 am 

Mr. Reason wrote:
I just never understood what Ozzie had against BA.

Allegedly BA got himself in the dog house back in 2006 for his party boy lifestyle and since he was not producing, there was a feeling he needed to be focused on baseball rather than chasing trim on Rush Street.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:12 am 

Even further to that point, Anderson supposedly got into a fight with one of Ozzie's loud mouth punk kids at a bar in 2006. I know Anderson has never hit enough to justify confidence in him. I have been in the group that thinks he has never been given a substantive chance.

I'm still not sold on him as an everyday player. He undoubtedly belongs on an MLB club because of his D, but everyday...we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:57 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
good dolphin wrote:
Even further to that point, Anderson supposedly got into a fight with one of Ozzie's loud mouth punk kids at a bar in 2006. I know Anderson has never hit enough to justify confidence in him. I have been in the group that thinks he has never been given a substantive chance.

I'm still not sold on him as an everyday player. He undoubtedly belongs on an MLB club because of his D, but everyday...we'll see.

I'd call 365 at bats in 2006 pretty substantive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:43 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
[
I'd call 365 at bats in 2006 pretty substantive.

I would as well if they were given in 100 or so straight games. Unfortunately Ozzie's plan has been to hit him only against the toughest lefties and pinch hitting. It's tough to build up a strong resume with that kind of work.

That is why it was a blessing Wise went down when he did. There is no other way Anderson would be given such a perfect opportunity to sink or swim...6-8 weeks of starting with no one pushing him and being stuck in the 9 spot of a strong offensive lineup while being 27 with major league experience. If he does not produce now, you will never hear me push for playing time from him again. If he does, well the Sox just found themselves another inexpensive player, while also apparently solving the leadoff position with Getz and the second spot with Fields....but that is asking for a lot.

Just looking at the Sox they could have good cheap players in the 8, 9, 1, 2, 3 spots this year...and AA is looking really good right now with Flowers, Beckam and Allen all killing the ball. Maybe next year they scrap the thought of Flowers ever being a position player and move him into the Thome role.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:39 am 

It appears as if Chris Getz has secured the leadoff spot for the foreseeable future. It was good to see #17 still in the game last night vs. Jamie Walker, a left-handed reliever in the 8th for Baltimore, and hit a sacrifice fly to score Anthony John Pierzynski with the 8th and final run for the Southsiders. With his 3-for-4 night at the plate with 3 runs scored & 2 RBI's, the rookie second baseman is now hitting a respectable .316 for the season. I really enjoy watching this kid play a solid second base defensively, but he's also putting the ball in play and not afraid to make things happen at the top of the White Sox lineup.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:49 am 

Mr. Reason wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Don't patronize me, Keyser. I know you have been of the same opinion.
I just never understood what Ozzie had against BA. He is and has always been the best option in center, Rob Mackowiak notwithstanding. You think Oswaldo has finally figured that out?

I'm not patronizing, I'm complimenting you on your Danks and Anderson thoughts. You are a wise baseball man.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
How long has this battle of wits between Tall Midget and Good Dolphin been going on? I like it.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:57 am 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
How long has this battle of wits between Tall Midget and Good Dolphin been going on? I like it.....

I don't think there's any battle of wits here (By definition, there can't be since one of us would obviously be unarmed in such a contest. :wink: ). I simply disagree with dolphin's nomenclature. 365 at bats in a single season is obviously a "substantive" opportunity; the reason Anderson didn't receive an even greater opportunity is that he was clearly overmatched and was hurting the team's offense in a year they appeared to have a good chance to repeat as world champions. It's clear that Anderson has improved since 2006, but it's ludicrous to say that he's been denied opportunities to this point in his career. Many others have done more with less.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

365 at bats is a good number. They were not, however, consistent. By early May, Anderson was riding the pine. He was given barely a month to prove himself.

He "played" in a good number of games last season, but most of those were as a defensive replacement in the late innings. So, not really significant playing time. Just like a good chunk of those 365 at bats were not really significant.

We all know Anderson can field, and he's proving that he can hit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
365 at bats is a good number. They were not, however, consistent. By early May, Anderson was riding the pine. He was given barely a month to prove himself.

He "played" in a good number of games last season, but most of those were as a defensive replacement in the late innings. So, not really significant playing time. Just like a good chunk of those 365 at bats were not really significant.

We all know Anderson can field, and he's proving that he can hit.

So your contention is that he wasn't overmatched in 2006? And that he hasn't substantially improved since then?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:15 pm 

I was under the impression that Jerry Owens was going to get more playing time than Brian Anderson when DeWayne Wise went down with the separated shoulder... :oops: I'm glad I'm wrong on that one, because Owens still can't hit in extremely limited action. Right now, I think White Sox fans should be encouraged that B.A.'s FINALLY hitting and getting a chance to play everyday. He went 2-for-4 last night with a RBI double, and is now hitting .276 starting action this eve...