It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sox in free fall???
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
My the Sox are struggling in all area's lately. The starting pitching has had surprisingly bad performances from guys like Floyd and Danks-both of whom are counted on to be much better and even when they do get a good performance, (Colon) they don't necessarily win. The offense has been uneven, but with the bullpen having frequent problems, even if they score 6-8 runs, it might not stand up. Is there any end in sight, or is this year bound to end badly as the team rebuilds???

Post subject: Re: Sox in free fall???
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:20 am 

Hmmm...I wonder how this thread will shake out?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Kenny has everything under control!!!! I had heard Ron Gardenhire refer to the White Sox as Asian Carp.

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:59 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Sox need a Micah Haupauier on the bench, and they we can start printing World Series tickets!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:26 am 
1000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
My the Sox are struggling in all area's lately. The starting pitching has had surprisingly bad performances from guys like Floyd and Danks-both of whom are counted on to be much better and even when they do get a good performance, (Colon) they don't necessarily win. The offense has been uneven, but with the bullpen having frequent problems, even if they score 6-8 runs, it might not stand up. Is there any end in sight, or is this year bound to end badly as the team rebuilds???

I thought the Sox were pretty easy to figure out. If Buerhle, Danks, and Floyd pitch the way we were hoping, they would be right there in the AL Central. If not, they won't. So far, only Buerhle has been consistent. Danks started strong, but has been bad in his last 2 starts, and Floyd has not looked good.

Those three guys need to be 15 game winners. If not, 3rd or 4th place awaits them.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:32 am 

Things will go one of two ways.
1) The Sox will continue to compete in the AL Central with the others. None of them will establish a lead. The Sox will look to make a move or two to fill holes, fight for the playoffs until the very end. It will be very similar to last year.

2) A team takes a sizable lead in the AL Central and the Sox look to the future to do a quick rebuilding project. Trades are made.

I'm fine with either one.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:36 am 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
What is the point of this? Change the names of those involved, and you have exactly the same story with the Cubs. This is simply poking the hornet's nest to see what will happen. Stupid, needless and the only result will be more visits by Frank, Angina Bob, and their ilk. :puker:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:44 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
1) The Sox will continue to compete in the AL Central with the others. None of them will establish a lead. The Sox will look to make a move or two to fill holes, fight for the playoffs until the very end. It will be very similar to last year.

2) A team takes a sizable lead in the AL Central and the Sox look to the future to do a quick rebuilding project. Trades are made.

Tell me which one of those powerhouses is going to take a sizable lead? Cleveland has looked horrible most of the year, and they are not out of this thing yet.

Buehrle wins tonight and this ship is "righted".

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:46 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Tell me which one of those powerhouses is going to take a sizable lead? Cleveland has looked horrible most of the year, and they are not out of this thing yet.

The injuns have a habit of starting slow and finishing strong a la the astros of 04 and 05

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:07 am 
100000 CLUB

The bad pitching of late doesn't even really concern me. The starters will be fine, and they're also going to have a handful of bad starts during the year.

What really chaps me is this shit with getting a leadoff guy on 2nd base, and stranding him right there, let alone getting him home. Or getting a guy to 3rd with less than 2 out and not scoring him. Unacceptable. Pods and Lillibridge suck. Neither belong playing everyday, and thier only value to this team is as a late inning pinch runner. Alexei is also looking very very bad at the plate.

Also great to see Steve back around. He posts nothing as the Cubs struggle last week, but as soon as the Sox scuffle for a few days, he's back and rareing to go :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:44 am 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

We knew that this could be a year in transition because they didn't make any moves in the off-season that would help the current team. We also know that after the season is over, Thome, Dye and Contreras are off the books so that's around $30 million in free money, not that I expect the White Sox to go on a spending spree, but it does get rid of at least 2 guys clearly nearing the end of their careers.

I suspect that the White Sox will hang around in this division. You'd have to be really bad to fall out of contention if we are to assume that the winner of this division has 85-90 wins.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:47 am 
1000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The bad pitching of late doesn't even really concern me. The starters will be fine, and they're also going to have a handful of bad starts during the year.

What really chaps me is this shit with getting a leadoff guy on 2nd base, and stranding him right there, let alone getting him home. Or getting a guy to 3rd with less than 2 out and not scoring him. Unacceptable. Pods and Lillibridge suck. Neither belong playing everyday, and thier only value to this team is as a late inning pinch runner. Alexei is also looking very very bad at the plate.

Also great to see Steve back around. He posts nothing as the Cubs struggle last week, but as soon as the Sox scuffle for a few days, he's back and rareing to go :roll:

They are still a HR offense. It's going to come down to their top 3 starters pitching like their top 3 starters.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:29 am 
100000 CLUB

They can still knock in a guy from 3rd with less than 2 out without a homerun.

Depending on how Paulie does this year, I'd like to see the Sox try and resign Dye. They can alternate him and Konerko as DH, and they are still capabale of playing the field. Dye had another sweet catch on a Butler liner last night.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
It sounded like Mt. Guillen erupted after the White Sox lost 8-7 to the Royals in 11 innings last night. One thing that'll certainly make Ozzie blow his top is the team's disturbingly high ERA among its starting pitchers lately. I heard something that the starters' ERA, with the exception of Mark Buehrle, is over 8.00. :oops: #56, who starts the brief two game home series vs. Detroit tonight on "The U" at 7:11p, has a respectable 3.30 ERA to go along with his 4-0 record. John Danks, despite back-to-back outings allowing 5 runs in his last 2 starts, has a 3.81 ERA with a 2-2 record. The other three starters, have ERAs over 4.00. Despite being the tough luck loser Monday night to Cy Greinke and the Royals, Bartolo Colon's ERA is now 4.05 with a 2-2 record, Gavin Floyd's ERA has ballooned to 5.52 with a 2-2 record following his no-decision last night, and tomorrow night's starter, Jose Contreras, has an ERA at 8.31 to go along with an 0-4 record. Yikes!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:20 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
They can still knock in a guy from 3rd with less than 2 out without a homerun.

Depending on how Paulie does this year, I'd like to see the Sox try and resign Dye. They can alternate him and Konerko as DH, and they are still capabale of playing the field. Dye had another sweet catch on a Butler liner last night.

I'd like to see them resign Dye as well. He has an option for next year, but I think it is at around 12 million. That is entirely too much. However, if they gave him a Burrell type of deal, say 2 years at 8 million per, that would work.

It sure looks like Flowers will be a good enough hitter to bring up as the DH/backup catcher next year to replace Mr. Incredible.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:01 pm 

The offense put up 7 runs last night which is more than enough to win. I agree with BD. This team will only go as far as the starters take them.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
what the hell kind of lineup did the Cubs throw out there yesterday?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
doug - evergreen park wrote:
what the hell kind of lineup did the Cubs throw out there yesterday?

lou must have been asking ozzie for advice.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:20 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
The offense put up 7 runs last night which is more than enough to win. I agree with BD. This team will only go as far as the starters take them.

Unfortunately, there's also something that Ed Farmer always tells listeners on the White Sox radio broadcasts, guys. Farmer always says on every broadcast that it's the runs that are scored from the 7th inning on that determines the winner...By the way, let me correct myself on something I posted earlier. With the exception of Mark Buehrle, who starts tonight vs. Detroit, White Sox starters' ERA is actually 7.38 since April 23rd.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: cheese
Sox are a team in disarray.

They had pitchers last year who career years, they are a mediocre, all or nothing offense, where due to age, have peaked.

The Poofer- Having Colon and Contreas in your rotation is just as bad as siging a complete goof like Meltdown Bradley.......wait

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
TeeLander wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The bad pitching of late doesn't even really concern me.

That's because you are a dimwit.

Well said. If the Sox are to have any chance, they need Buehrle, Floyd and Danks to be solid and hope that Colon can stay on track too. The fact that the starters are struggling has to be a concern. The bullpen's struggles have to be very discouraging too, as they have given away games where the offense scored enough to get the victory, only to see the bullpen give it away. That makes it even more important that the starters go deep into games to minimize the need for the bullpens involvement. It is looking more and more like a rebuilding year. Maybe Viciedo and Beckham will get a chance to play on the South side by midseason. Except Viciedo is not doing very well in the minors. But Beckham looked like the real deal in spring. He is going to be a star. Watching him develop later this season, may make it worth following the team. He may be that true 5 tool player, that is so rare to find. But they are smart to be bringing him along slowly, as you don't want to mess that one up. But when he's ready, he's gonna be fun to follow.....unlike a lot of this current team.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:05 am 

The cubs are playing well so that means were subjected to your childish baseball 'thoughts' again. Great.....

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
TeeLander wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The bad pitching of late doesn't even really concern me.

That's because you are a dimwit.

Well said. If the Sox are to have any chance, they need Buehrle, Floyd and Danks to be solid and hope that Colon can stay on track too.

And they're not going to be 'solid' for all 30-35 starts. 1, 2 bad starts, not a concern. 4, 5 in a row (ala Jose Contreras), very concerning. Both you of you really have shit for brains.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:08 pm 

As a result of last night's rainout at "The Cell", Mark Buehrle starts tonight vs. the Tigers, while Jose Contreras likely starts the rematch this weekend vs. the Rangers tomorrow. If Contreras stinks up the joint again, now what? Does Lance Broadway or Clay Richard come out of the bullpen and make a spot start? Does Ozzie bypass Jose's turn in the rotation completely? The way they're talking, they'd like Jose to snap out of his funk ASAP and avoid calling up this Aaron Poreda kid from the minors...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:18 pm 

SHARK wrote:
As a result of last night's rainout at "The Cell", Mark Buehrle starts tonight vs. the Tigers, while Jose Contreras likely starts the rematch this weekend vs. the Rangers tomorrow. If Contreras stinks up the joint again, now what? Does Lance Broadway or Clay Richard come out of the bullpen and make a spot start? Does Ozzie bypass Jose's turn in the rotation completely? The way they're talking, they'd like Jose to snap out of his funk ASAP and avoid calling up this Aaron Poreda kid from the minors...

The Poofer- that Poreda kid is a beast.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:20 pm 

Supercup wrote:
SHARK wrote:

If Poreda's such a beast, why doesn't Ozzie want the Sox to call him up? :?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:50 pm 

SHARK wrote:

When the Sox call him up they want him to stay up. They don't want to turn him into a human yoyo like the cubs are doing to Samardzija.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

Or, to a lesser extent, like Broadway for the Sox.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:58 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Supercup wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Prolly has something to do with money.Poreda is on the BA Hot list, hes only walked two ppl all year, i belive, so dont quote me.
How come Beckham isnt up right now when he proved he can hit major league pitching?

The Poofer- the sox throw nickels around like man hole covers.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:02 pm 

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 68037.html

I stand corrected, its Dan Hudson whos a beast