It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:47 am 

Ok--let me speek before everyone jumps down my throat--the postitives--
A--If Thome is Hurt--
B--Bonds last year in baseball OBP was over 450 with good power numbers-
C--Look at what the Hitter before Him and After him hit
D--Become Front page news--
E--Wants to prove to people he still can play,,,,needs 2 rbi's for 2,000---70+ hits for 3,000.
F--People will come out to the Cell----$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thats just a few.

Negatives--
A--He's Barry Bonds.
B--Sox ie,,KW stay away from Roid guys.
C--The Blacklash that would come from Media,
D--Not playing for the past 20 months.

Just tossing my 2cents in here,,i'd bring him in just to see what he has left--see where is mind is at,you wont have to pay him much,you can win the Central now before it gets to late.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:48 am 

NO.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
No, like you said, he hasn't played for 20 months, not to mention all of the other problems with him, I'd rather see them build for the future than trying to win now by signing bonds.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:17 am 

I'd love to see the Dodgers pick him up, say for the next 50 games or so :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
The circus would be fun, but not worth risking. Plus, I think the guy's a giant douche.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
The only kind of stripes Barry Bonds will be sporting anytime soon will be the ones behind bars...The White Sox and every team in baseball wants nothing to do with Barry, who I think is a dick to begin with...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: cheese
What the fuck would Bonds bring to the Sox?

The Poofer- seriously?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Barry would be trouble from the getgo, and Mt. Guillen would absolutely erupt every single day the "s" word as in steroids is mentioned in the same sentence...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: cheese
SHARK wrote:
Barry would be trouble from the getgo, and Mt. Guillen would absolutely erupt every single day the "s" word as in steroids is mentioned in the same sentence...

this

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: salernos
Undeniably NO! Sox are already too much a softball team and by adding another slow fat power-hitter will not make them any better. A cure for the Sox would involve replacing Contreras with a better starting pitcher, strengthening the bullpen, and adding some speed to the lineup.

- LSD

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
lacticsolardust wrote:
Undeniably NO! Sox are already too much a softball team and by adding another slow fat power-hitter will not make them any better. A cure for the Sox would involve replacing Contreras with a better starting pitcher, strengthening the bullpen, and adding some speed to the lineup.

- LSD

That's a fair assessment.

- PCP

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:50 pm 

I think I can see both sides of this discussion.

-Dust

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:52 pm 

We will just have to agree to disagree.

- shrooms

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
i think they should sign bonds and put him in center.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:54 pm 

We can only take it one game at a time.

-Caffeine

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:57 pm 

Good point. This team doesn't seem hungry enough, though.

- MSG

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:58 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Good point. This team doesn't seem hungry enough, though.

I thought that's what they brought in Bartolo Colon in for...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:12 pm 

This team took a tailspin right after winning the World Series when Kenny Williams couldn't wait to reconfigure that team a la Jerry Krause. By trading Rowand - a key figure during that championship run - for Jim Thome I think a lot of the players in that clubhouse became confused as to what the direction of the team was. Bottom line, the Sox didn't need to make that trade.

- Amphetamine

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
lacticsolardust wrote:
This team took a tailspin right after winning the World Series when Kenny Williams couldn't wait to reconfigure that team a la Jerry Krause. By trading Rowand - a key figure during that championship run - for Jim Thome I think a lot of the players in that clubhouse became confused as to what the direction of the team was. Bottom line, the Sox didn't need to make that trade.

- Amphetamine

They did win 90 games in 2006, so I think tailspin is kind of strong

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
lacticsolardust wrote:

- Amphetamine

i hope you are a cub fan because i'd be ashamed to have you on my side.

WAR (wins above replacement) 2006-2008
rowand 4.5
thome 10.9

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:25 pm 

lacticsolardust wrote:
By trading Rowand - a key figure during that championship run - for Jim Thome I think a lot of the players in that clubhouse became confused as to what the direction of the team was. Bottom line, the Sox didn't need to make that trade.

The trade has been a steal for the Sox. Rowand wasn't going to re-sign here or he would have come back here.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:27 pm 

Rowand was a catalyst for the 05 team and a great clubhouse guy. The Sox did fine in 05 without having a slow left-handed power hitter in their lineup - why Kenny Williams made that trade I'll never know.

A teams success is not just about a players stats, but it has a lot to do with team chemistry. By making that trade the teams chemistry was forever affected in the wrong way.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pete's
No.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:24 pm 

lacticsolardust wrote:
Rowand was a catalyst for the 05 team and a great clubhouse guy. The Sox did fine in 05 without having a slow left-handed power hitter in their lineup - why Kenny Williams made that trade I'll never know.

A teams success is not just about a players stats, but it has a lot to do with team chemistry. By making that trade the teams chemistry was forever affected in the wrong way.

If Rowand is such a great 'chemistry guy' why did the Phillies win the World Series the year AFTER he left the team?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
lacticsolardust wrote:
The Sox did fine in 05 without having a slow left-handed power hitter in their lineup

There was a slow, left handed power hitter that absolutely carried that offense thru the early part of June. Look at Carl Everett's numbers the first half of that seasons. Tons of key hits and RBIs.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
Glendale Heights Brian wrote:
Ok--let me speek before everyone jumps down my throat--the postitives--
A--If Thome is Hurt--
B--Bonds last year in baseball OBP was over 450 with good power numbers-
C--Look at what the Hitter before Him and After him hit
D--Become Front page news--
E--Wants to prove to people he still can play,,,,needs 2 rbi's for 2,000---70+ hits for 3,000.
F--People will come out to the Cell----$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thats just a few.

Negatives--
A--He's Barry Bonds.
B--Sox ie,,KW stay away from Roid guys.
C--The Blacklash that would come from Media,
D--Not playing for the past 20 months.

Just tossing my 2cents in here,,i'd bring him in just to see what he has left--see where is mind is at,you wont have to pay him much,you can win the Central now before it gets to late.

Seriously?

- Steroids

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
lacticsolardust wrote:

This is clearly a case of absence making the heart grow fonder. The Sox didn't win the World Series in 2005 just because Aaron Rowand was on the team. They won the World Series because they had a great rotation, a good bullpen, and they knocked the cover off the ball.

Yes, Rowand patrolled the hell out of center field but I don't like it when people try to say that Aaron Rowand's exit from the team was the demise of the White Sox. That's simply not true. In 2006, the White Sox had an equally good team and would've gone to postseason if their bullpen had been able to keep them in games. I also remember Javy Vasquez having a pretty bad September in 2006 also.

My point: Aaron Rowand is not the "end all, be all"...but Pablo Ozuna is.

- Heroin

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:48 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
lacticsolardust wrote:

A team’s success is not just about player’s stats, but it has a lot to do with team chemistry. By making that trade the team’s chemistry was forever affected in the wrong way.

If Rowand is such a great 'chemistry guy' why did the Phillies win the World Series the year AFTER he left the team?

I don't claim that team chemistry is the only factor to a team's success, but I do believe it is a important component. Teams who generally don't get a long with each other do not play well together - excluding the A's of the 70's. A.J., Crede, Buehrle, and Rowand were all good friends and I think it took the wind out of their sail when Rowand was dealt.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
lacticsolardust wrote:
The Sox did fine in 05 without having a slow left-handed power hitter in their lineup

There was a slow, left handed power hitter that absolutely carried that offense thru the early part of June. Look at Carl Everett's numbers the first half of that seasons. Tons of key hits and RBIs.

Point taken. However, you do have to admit the Sox have become overburden with slow power hitters since 2005, i.e. Thome, Konerko, Griffey, and Dye. Too much to have on 1 team when Ozzie prefers to have a team with more speed and defensive abilities.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
lacticsolardust wrote:

A team’s success is not just about player’s stats, but it has a lot to do with team chemistry. By making that trade the teams chemistry was forever affected in the wrong way.

This is clearly a case of absence making the heart grow fonder. The Sox didn't win the World Series in 2005 just because Aaron Rowand was on the team. They won the World Series because they had a great rotation, a good bullpen, and they knocked the cover off the ball.

Yes, Rowand patrolled the hell out of center field but I don't like it when people try to say that Aaron Rowand's exit from the team was the demise of the White Sox. That's simply not true. In 2006, the White Sox had an equally good team and would've gone to postseason if their bullpen had been able to keep them in games. I also remember Javy Vasquez having a pretty bad September in 2006 also.

My point: Aaron Rowand is not the "end all, be all"...but Pablo Ozuna is.

- Heroin

This is my point exactly. Williams, for some reason, felt the need to reconfigure the 05 team and in doing so completely f'd it up. Why did he even trade for Javy? Orlando Hernandez was a huge part of the 05 team as well and Chris Young is hitting home runs all over the park in his short career. Why did he trade Iguchi and get nothing back in return? I'm grateful the Sox were able to win it all in 05, but they could have won more if the team stayed intact and Pods stayed healthy.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Quote:
I'm grateful the Sox were able to win it all in 05, but they could have won more if the team stayed intact and Pods stayed healthy.

Pods health had nothing to do with Buehrle, Politte, and Cotts sucking in 2006, which is really why they didn't make the playoffs again.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Johnny Chimpo wrote:
The circus would be fun, but not worth risking. Plus, I think the guy's a giant douche.

And who is and has been good friends with him for a LONG time? One of the few people Bonds stated "he admires" and we know that is a short list. Of course it does not make that person a Douchebag because Bonds likes him, but I would prefer Bonds to state he does not like me.

Kinda like Adam Sandler in the Chanukah Song I and II "OJ Simpson....Not a Jew!!!" and "OJ Simpson...still not Jewish"