It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:20 pm 

Thought that this was interesting----It could work..

I do not believe this 2009 Cubs roster, as comprised, is going to win the Central Division, let alone a World series. Jim Hendry needs to obtain some different, more effective talent, and Lou Piniella either a) has to rein in the players he already has, because a few of them are out of control, or b) have Hendry get him some different players that he CAN control.

Ok, here goes:

San Diego has Jake Peavy, who will only accept a trade to the Cubs (or Braves), and they want four top prospects for him.
The Cubs could not trade for him thus far because they are "between owners" and Hendry and Crane Kenney do not believe they can add Peavy's salary to their existing salary structure.
The White Sox think they can add money, though. They tried to get Peavy, dangling at least three prospects (Lance Broadway, Aaron Poreda, and Clayton Richard), and a 4th player was mentioned but never identified. The Padres agreed to the deal, but Peavy invoked his No-Trade protection.
The White Sox still claim to need a top-line starter.
The Cubs have a top-line starter by the name of Carlos Zambrano (aka El Toro aka The Lawnmower aka Big Z aka "I Hate Gatorade") who claims every spring that he has turned the corner, that he has matured, but he truly hasn't.
Lou Piniella might have been able to handle Zambrano ten or fifteen years ago, but he cannot now. In fact, his inability to do so is officially a DETRIMENT to this ball club.
The White Sox have a manager from Venezuela, where Zambrano is from, and if anyone on planet Earth is able to get the drop on Zambrano, mano-y-mano, loco-y-loco, it is Ozzie Guillen
Besides, Z claims he grew up a White Sox fan.

Therefore, I officially advocate a three-way-trade, effective immediately:

White Sox send San Diego their previous package, including Poreda, Broadway, and Richard
Cubs send White Sox Zambrano
Padres send Cubs Peavy

No, it doesn't solve our offensive woes, and it does not, stats-wise, strengthen our rotation as much as it would if we could get him while keeping Zambrano. But leadership-wise, Peavy is a Staff Ace, while Zambrano is too immature to be considered an Ace. Piniella will have a #1 starter that he can actually control. More focus on the Cubs team will be on Winning Games and less on Who is Injured or Who is Beating Up the Gatorade Machine and Making an Ass of Himself. Peavy will be so gatdamn happy to be out of San Diego that I can honestly see him making a Sutcliffe-esque run in the second half, which is at the present, the only chance we have of making postseason play this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
I think the Peavy trade only works for the Cubs in the off-season and if they don't have to give up anyone from their rotation. The addition of Peavy (with Z and Harden pitching on either side of him) turn the Cubs rotation into the kind of thing you'd only see in a video game and all but ensures the team a playoff berth and, with a little luck avoiding injuries/meltdowns, the ability to have three of the best SP's in the game going for them every series once they're in.

Dropping Z from the mix doesn't really do much for the team. It's a wash in terms of talent/ability and all you're trading for is a little assurance that you don't have to deal with a crazy man.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
I know you addressed that in your initial post/scenario, but it really does bear repeating. Trades are rarely made on the basis of an intangible such as "leadership" and it would be a neat bit of double-speak for a team that acquired Milton Bradley.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
the hell with peavy. adrian gonzalez is the player to get from san diego. San Diego has Kyle Blanks coming up and he can't really play anywhere other than first base. I believe he is in AAA portland just waiting to go and rake in the big leagues. They are trying him out in the outfield, but that is not going to happen, not in that ballpark. He is basically a bigger and slightly more athletic version of adam dunn, however he can also hit for average. SD is going to move gonzalez at some point in time and I would love to see him become a cub.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:49 pm 

No fuckin way. Zambrano is owed WAY more money than Peavy because of his player option in '13.

Zambrano- 09:$17.75M, 10:$17.875M, 11:$17.875M, 12:$18M, 13:$19.25M vesting player option

Peavy- 09:$8M, 10:$15M, 11:$16M, 12:$17M, 13:$22M club option ($4M buyout)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:57 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
the hell with peavy. adrian gonzalez is the player to get from san diego. San Diego has Kyle Blanks coming up and he can't really play anywhere other than first base. I believe he is in AAA portland just waiting to go and rake in the big leagues. They are trying him out in the outfield, but that is not going to happen, not in that ballpark. He is basically a bigger and slightly more athletic version of adam dunn, however he can also hit for average. SD is going to move gonzalez at some point in time and I would love to see him become a cub.

The cubs don't have nearly enough talent to acquire Gonzalez. With his ridiculously team friendly contract (09:$3M, 10:$4.75M, 11:$5.5M club option (no buyout) he is the biggest bargain in baseball when comparing money/production. IF SD decides to trade him I see him heading to Boston for a few of their major league ready arms (Masterson,Bard, Buchholtz, Bowden)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Keyser Soze wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

The cubs don't have nearly enough talent to acquire Gonzalez. With his ridiculously team friendly contract (09:$3M, 10:$4.75M, 11:$5.5M club option (no buyout) he is the biggest bargain in baseball when comparing money/production. IF SD decides to trade him I see him heading to Boston for a few of their major league ready arms (Masterson,Bard, Buchholtz, Bowden)

I thought Boston was going to use the bulk of their prospects to try to aquire victor martinez. You are probably right though. If I were SD there isnt much from the cubs minor league system I would want. Oh well, maybe they can put together some huge 3 way trade involving a team with actual aaa and aa minor league pitching prospects.