It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mr kenny williams
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: home run inn
tee minus 49 hrs on the trade deadline. just taught i'd let you know, and now i'll remove myself from white sox's business. oh by the way your attendence is only down 100k from last year and thats not shabby with all the crappy weather we've had and your premium tickets prices during a bad econmy.

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

Post subject: Re: mr kenny williams
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

kujoe_7 wrote:
tee minus 49 hrs on the trade deadline. just taught i'd let you know, and now i'll remove myself from white sox's business.

I really don't see the point of Williams making a move. This team is ok at best, and while I wouldn't be upset if they added a left handed bullpen option, this team seems to be no better than 78-84 wins depending on how it fares in the 2nd half against the tougher compeition. I would lean to letting this team play it out, and maybe they are the best of a bad division. I do like the future with payroll flexibility coming after this season, and several younger players getting experience this season, and forming a solid core for next season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:49 pm 

He made a move, what else do you want? Kotsay don't get it done for ya? 8)

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:50 am 

He should only trade for players with contracts that run through at least 2010. This is not a year to be going for it. In fact, I would not be screaming if the Sox were sellers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
They should TRY to deal Dye, Jenks, Thome, Contreras and Dotel...if they can get any decent prospects in return. The money they save on the remainder of this years contracts with those players, could be saved for players they might sign for next season.

The problem with this team, is that even the good young players they do have, are not complete players. Neither Ramirez, nor Beckham are very good defensive players and Quentin can't stay healthy. They need to get more prospects in their minor league system that have a chance to replace all the older players that will soon be gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:17 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
He should only trade for players with contracts that run through at least 2010. This is not a year to be going for it. In fact, I would not be screaming if the Sox were sellers.

I like the position they are in - given that the team can get some big contracts off the books this off-season, that is the consolation for keeping the team together for one last run at the playoffs (as opposed to trading veterans for prospects). Chances are, they won't make the playoffs, and, even if they do, they probably won't make it out of Round 1, but they are close enough to where I'm ok with playing out the season as is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:29 am 
1000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
They should TRY to deal Dye, Jenks, Thome, Contreras and Dotel...if they can get any decent prospects in return. The money they save on the remainder of this years contracts with those players, could be saved for players they might sign for next season.

The problem with this team, is that even the good young players they do have, are not complete players. Neither Ramirez, nor Beckham are very good defensive players and Quentin can't stay healthy. They need to get more prospects in their minor league system that have a chance to replace all the older players that will soon be gone.

If you look at how next year's roster may be put together:

C - AJ in his final season under contract with Flowers waiting in the wings.
1B - Konerko in his final season under contract
2B - Getz has shown some flashes this season, and has done enough in my opinion to return as a starter
3B - Beckham is going to be a stud
SS - Ramirez has lapses defensively, and doesn't hit until June, but still a good, young player
LF - Quentin if healthy
CF - ??? (Podsednik if he continues hitting, else this opens up again)
RF - ???
DH - ???

Something tells me that Dye will be back, but only a lesser salary, and as a possible DH. If that is the case, Podsednik, if he continues to hit, would probably stay in LF, and Quentin shifting to RF.

Point is, this year, Williams has started the transition of making this team younger with Getz, Beckham, Ramirez and Quentin and can continue that transitition with increased payroll flexibility, and an improved minor league system.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:00 am 

BD wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

2B - Getz has shown some flashes this season, and has done enough in my opinion to return as a starter
SS - Ramirez has lapses defensively, and doesn't hit until June, but still a good, young player
LF - Quentin if healthy
RF - ???
DH - ???

Something tells me that Dye will be back, but only a lesser salary, and as a possible DH. If that is the case, Podsednik, if he continues to hit, would probably stay in LF, and Quentin shifting to RF.

Point is, this year, Williams has started the transition of making this team younger with Getz, Beckham, Ramirez and Quentin and can continue that transitition with increased payroll flexibility, and an improved minor league system.

Okay let's look at your list here. Flowers is waiting in the wings, but what do you do with A.J.? Do you start the season with both and give a significant # of starts to Flowers to see if he has what it takes to assume the starting spot the following year. What effect does that have on the teams chances of winning, with a rookie catching a significant potion of the time. Konerko will finish up his contract and you might try Viciedo over there. But again, we are talking about an unproven guy in Viciedo, who seems to have a problem with weight too. Chris Getz it, and I agree on him. He should get a chance to take over 2B. Alexei has too many lapses on defense and not hitting the first 6-8 weeks of the season puts your team in a tough position for that stretch of time. Beckham is going to be a star for his hitting, but he too has too many defensive problems and whether or not he is kept at 3rd is a question I dont believe even Ozzie is ready to answer. Quentin in LF-if healthy....you should have wrote Quentin IF healthy, as thats a BIG if. I like Pods, he's a legit leadoff hitter, which is hard to find. But he is a lousy CF'er. he belongs in LF. If the Sox can get the CF'er they drafted developed more quickly, perhaps he could play there or they can sign or trade for a CF'er. Then they could use Quentin as the DH, which would make him less likely to get hurt and keep Pods in LF. I don't believe for a minute that the Sox will bring back Dye on his option for 2010 (a mutual option). But if he doesn't get any good offers elsewhere, perhaps the Sox might bring him back at a lower salary.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:45 am 
1000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
BD wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

LF - Quentin if healthy
RF - ???
DH - ???

Okay let's look at your list here. Flowers is waiting in the wings, but what do you do with A.J.? Do you start the season with both and give a significant # of starts to Flowers to see if he has what it takes to assume the starting spot the following year. What effect does that have on the teams chances of winning, with a rookie catching a significant potion of the time. Konerko will finish up his contract and you might try Viciedo over there. But again, we are talking about an unproven guy in Viciedo, who seems to have a problem with weight too. Chris Getz it, and I agree on him. He should get a chance to take over 2B. Alexei has too many lapses on defense and not hitting the first 6-8 weeks of the season puts your team in a tough position for that stretch of time. Beckham is going to be a star for his hitting, but he too has too many defensive problems and whether or not he is kept at 3rd is a question I dont believe even Ozzie is ready to answer. Quentin in LF-if healthy....you should have wrote Quentin IF healthy, as thats a BIG if. I like Pods, he's a legit leadoff hitter, which is hard to find. But he is a lousy CF'er. he belongs in LF. If the Sox can get the CF'er they drafted developed more quickly, perhaps he could play there or they can sign or trade for a CF'er. Then they could use Quentin as the DH, which would make him less likely to get hurt and keep Pods in LF. I don't believe for a minute that the Sox will bring back Dye on his option for 2010 (a mutual option). But if he doesn't get any good offers elsewhere, perhaps the Sox might bring him back at a lower salary.

Good analysis...

Flowers is waiting in the wings, but what do you do with A.J.? Do you start the season with both and give a significant # of starts to Flowers to see if he has what it takes to assume the starting spot the following year. What effect does that have on the teams chances of winning, with a rookie catching a significant potion of the time.

At this time, I would guess that A.J. will be back next season, and would get the majority of starts. I'm guessing they would start the season with Flowers in the minors so that his first season on the roster, primarily as a backup, wouldn't put him one year closer to arbitration/free agency. I also wouldn't be shocked if Williams moved AJ in the off-season, and gave the job to Flowers, but you do make a great point on how this may impact the teams chances of winning with a rookie catcher. We could also see a scenario where Thome is gone, and the Sox use A.J. in the DH spot at times as well to keep his bat in the lineup, and at the same time, use Flowers. So, it's a very fluid situation, where I could envision Kenny Williams going in a number of directions here.

Konerko will finish up his contract and you might try Viciedo over there. But again, we are talking about an unproven guy in Viciedo, who seems to have a problem with weight too.

One of the issues the Sox have with their infield prospects, and maybe was part of the reason that Brandon Allen was moved, is that they seemed to have too many infield prospects (Fields, Viciedo and Allen at the time) who may end up playing 1B. Again, a difficult question to answer. Viciedo may be the future at this position, but he's also only 19 or 20 years old. Konerko may resign, but be a DH, he could be resigned on a short term deal to give Viciedo more time. This one still has time to play itself out.

Chris Getz it, and I agree on him. He should get a chance to take over 2B.

Agreed.

Alexei has too many lapses on defense and not hitting the first 6-8 weeks of the season puts your team in a tough position for that stretch of time.

Ramirez is still a young player, and I think he'll get better. I have no issue with him continuing his career at SS.

Beckham is going to be a star for his hitting, but he too has too many defensive problems and whether or not he is kept at 3rd is a question I dont believe even Ozzie is ready to answer.

I'm not sure the White Sox necessarily had a position in mind for Beckham when they brought him up, but they were out of patience in waiting for Josh Fields so they inserted him there, and I would guess that is where he will stay. Again, not really a defensive player, but he's got to play somewhere.

Quentin in LF-if healthy....you should have wrote Quentin IF healthy, as thats a BIG if.

Agreed - injuries are the concern here, but he will be in LF or RF next season.

I like Pods, he's a legit leadoff hitter, which is hard to find. But he is a lousy CF'er. he belongs in LF. If the Sox can get the CF'er they drafted developed more quickly, perhaps he could play there or they can sign or trade for a CF'er. Then they could use Quentin as the DH, which would make him less likely to get hurt and keep Pods in LF.

Dye's future will impact Quentin and Podsednik, if he is here. Dye may be a RF/DH next season if here, or Quentin can slide into RF, and Pods to LF, opening up CF. 2 issues here - the Sox haven't had much luck finding a CF outside the organization, and Pods needs to continue to hit.

I don't believe for a minute that the Sox will bring back Dye on his option for 2010 (a mutual option). But if he doesn't get any good offers elsewhere, perhaps the Sox might bring him back at a lower salary.

I agree, which is why I think there's a possibility that Dye will be back, but at on a reduced one year deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:55 am 

The real key is pitching. If Clayton pitches his way into an spot in the rotation next year with his work down the stretch this year, then they can take a gamble on a low paid 5th starter for next year. If not, they probably have to find a $10 million per year starter to fill the 4th slot AND find a low paid 5th as to battle Clayton in spring training.

They are going cheap next year. Just like this year, savings will not be reinvested into talent.

I look for the outfield next year to be Quentin, Danks/Pods, Dye.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
The real key is pitching. If Clayton pitches his way into an spot in the rotation next year with his work down the stretch this year, then they can take a gamble on a low paid 5th starter for next year. If not, they probably have to find a $10 million per year starter to fill the 4th slot AND find a low paid 5th as to battle Clayton in spring training.

They are going cheap next year. Just like this year, savings will not be reinvested into talent.

I look for the outfield next year to be Quentin, Danks/Pods, Dye.

True, the key is pitching, and, they will have a pretty solid top of the rotation again with Buehrle, Danks and Floyd. You are right about one open spot because I would guess that Richard (or another internal option) will fill one spot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:10 pm 

Quentin is too a leaky vessel to put much faith in sailing through a season with. Dye has really limited range in RF these days and Pods in CF is not real good. They really need to aggressively go after a GOOD starting CF'er....what a difference Torri Hunter would have been for this ballclub.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:21 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I know you already know this, but good dolphin is a genius.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:55 pm 

Nas wrote:
Got a little bit of Nas in you.

don't want TOO much of that in you, otherwise you'll end up with way too many kids...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:23 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I know you already know this, but good dolphin is a genius.

Yes, he is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Quentin is too a leaky vessel to put much faith in sailing through a season with. Dye has really limited range in RF these days and Pods in CF is not real good. They really need to aggressively go after a GOOD starting CF'er....what a difference Torri Hunter would have been for this ballclub.

Thanks for bumping this GD.

So Steve, since we went after a good CF passively through waivers you think this is a bad deal for the Sox?

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.