It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: home run inn
Reinsdorf was talked into dealComment Email Print Share ESPNChicago.com

Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said Friday he was initially opposed to the trade that sent former Cy Young winner Jake Peavy to Chicago.

Reindorf said White Sox GM Williams sent him an e-mail to ask him if he wanted Peavy. Reinsdorf said no but he was willing to talk.

More White Sox from ESPNChicago.com
Levine's blog:
Sox pay pretty penny for Peavy
Reinsdorf: 'I had to be talked into deal'
Greenberg: Williams outfoxes foes for Peavy
Isaacson: Sox don't fear the Yankees
Listen: Williams | Reinsdorf

"He and Rick [Hahn, assistant general manager] came in and talked me into it," Reinsdorf told Chicago's Baseball Tonight on ESPNChicago radio. "That's how it went down."

The White Sox gave up pitchers Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, Dexter Carter and Adam Russell in the deal.

Initially, Reinsdorf said, he was concerned about the team's financial commitment to Peavy. ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine reported the White Sox will pick up all $56 million that's due on Peavy's contract, a deal that runs through 2012, with a $22 million option for 2013. The $56 million includes the buyout for the option on 2013, which would cost the club an additional $14 million.

"That's a lot of money to put on a pitcher," Reinsdorf said, adding that Peavy would probably not be available to the team until the end of August.

But, the White Sox chairman conceded, the Peavy trade will set the team's rotation up nicely for the future.

"With Buehrle, Danks, Floyd and Peavy -- that's as good a four starters as you are going to see in baseball, probably," Reinsdorf said. "I'm sure we'll get a fifth starter to go along with them. As far as this year is concerned, if we can get to the playoffs, the playoffs are all about pitching, and that's what won it for us in '05. So I decided, OK, we'll roll the dice."

Jake Peavy
#44 SP
San Diego Padres
2009 STATS

GM
13 W
6 L
6 BB
28 K
92 ERA
Reinsdorf said he thinks Peavy agreed to the trade because he was going to a contender.

"San Diego is going in a different direction now," Reinsdorf said. "They're going young, they're building strictly for the future, and what he had to look at if he stayed in San Diego is pitching for a club that might not be able to compete for a few years. Weigh that against coming to a contender, and I think that's what made up his mind."

Reinsdorf also noted the team doesn't have unlimited funds like the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees. After going over the books, Reinsdorf said team officials thought they could handle Peavy's contract.

When asked where the Peavy trade ranked during his tenure at the White Sox, Reinsdorf said it was probably as big a shocker as when the team signed slugger Albert Belle and catcher Carlton Fisk.

"Nobody thought we were going to be able to sign Carlton Fisk when we did," Reinsdorf said. "Albert Belle really shocked everybody, because we were supposedly cheapskates and we signed a player for the first $10 million contract. "

While Reinsdorf admitted there was a lot of money at stake, he said winning for the fans was his goal.

"I think this really puts us in a great position to give our fans a contending ballclub for the next several years," he said

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
kujoe_7 wrote:
The $56 million includes the buyout for the option on 2013, which would cost the club an additional $14 million.

I know it's a mistake, but that would be one hell of a buyout for Peavy...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Yeah Kenny and Rick 'talked him into it' lol

Was he conned ?

All deals are Jerrys deals. he decides what he wants and doesn't , Kenny is just the girl at the GAP that brings out the shirts to see which one you like.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:roll:

RIght. I'm sure it was Jerry who scouted the Dbacks and eyed Quentin. I'm sure it was Jerry who watched the tape of Alexei and Iguchi and said, "get those guys!" I'm sure it was Jerry who decided to trade Cy McCarthy for Danks. I'm sure it was Jerry who figured that Don Cooper could fix Jose Contreras.

The Cubs' colors and blue and red, but lately a ton of them have been wearing green.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:13 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

The Cubs' colors and blue and red, but lately a ton of them have been wearing green.

What abut BLACK Jack Mcdowell is he also jealous?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
So the guy who makes multi million dollar deals was "Talked into it" by Kenny Williams???

Remember this when Peavy blows out a shoulder and Buerhle shows a bit of age. Not saying it will happen, but Buerhle has thrown a ton of innings without any real major injury, Peavy throws a violent hard pitch. So hard he needs his ankle to be 100% to stabilize.

You are talking about one of the smartest businessmen in the world, but Kenny talked him into it? lol

2 Guys , 33% of your payroll and if they go down "Hey, I didn't want to do it"

Just saying.

(This should really piss frank off)