It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:24 am 

He's very good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
I got lazy on my Rolen idea and didn't really elaborate, but this is basically what I was thinking regarding Rolen:

1) It was based on the idea of "who to get at the deadline" rather than who should be the Sox 3B of the future.

2) There didn't appear to be too many 3B available at the deadline and at least Rolen is outside of our division which at least makes a trade feasible.

3) The list of free agent 3B does not excite me at all:

Rich Aurilia (38)
Adrian Beltre (31)
Geoff Blum (37)
Aaron Boone (37)
Craig Counsell (39)
Joe Crede (32)
Pedro Feliz (35) - $5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Chone Figgins (32)
Nomar Garciaparra (36)
Troy Glaus (33)
Mike Lamb (34)
Melvin Mora (38) - $8MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Pablo Ozuna (35)
Robb Quinlan (33)
Juan Uribe (31)
Hank Blalock (29)

4) Flush the farm system (and this is why it ties into the original post by suckers). Trade guys like Whisler, Torres, Egbert. The more of them they trade, the less they will have to pay on Rolen's contract for 2009 + 2010.

5) Its just a 1 1/2 year thing until hopefully Viciedo is ready. I don't want to have to rely on him (Viciedo) being ready for 2010.

6) Gets Getz out of the starting lineup and Rolen's glove on the field.

I'm not trying to say he's the answer by any means. Prior to the season, I figured him at 115 games, .265 avg and 10 HR. This year he's at .313 with 9 HR in 92 games, so I don't think its out of the question to see him have a decent 2010 and then he's out of there.

I just like known commodities for the most part. I really don't like the old, let's throw him out there and hope he does good thing (Owens, Fields, etc). At least you know what you are getting with Rolen, although at $12 mill per, that's tough. Hopefully Toronto (at that time) would be paying a decent portion of the contract. Plus he has post season experience and all of that good stuff..won 7 gold gloves (2006 most recent)..

Can't wait for the Arrested Development movie in 2010. Looks like Barry Zuckerkorn is back for the movie. I was kind of worried now that Bob was representing the Bluths:

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2075787801/

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Off-season contracts seem like they're trending cheaper (don't tell Hendry that), so I doubt Rolen would be all that expensive considering he's a huge injury risk and his production has suffered as a result of all the off time. He could be a steal if he signs on the cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hank Blalock is only 29?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hank Blalock is only 29?

That's what it says, Frank, and for the record, Hank has been playing first base for the Texas Rangers lately...Needless to say, Paul Konerko isn't getting any younger, but I think he's supposed to earn a big salary again next year to stay on the South side.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Whomever supplies Yahoo's player profile updates is pretty hilarious w/r/t Blalock. They noted a couple days ago that his OBP was lower than his BA, and celebrated his first walk since sometime in June when it finally occurred last night.

That said, I would still love to have Blalock on the Sox. Highly doubt the Rangers re-sign him with his doppelganger, Chris Davis, endlessly oscillating between the big club and AAA.