PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Grobber says he's a Dodger.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:17 pm 

spmack wrote:

Dye or Thome?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
RFDC wrote:
spmack wrote:

Dye or Thome?

Sorry. Thome.

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
SI.com's Jon Heyman says the Dodgers have acquired Jim Thome.

Dodgers acquire Garland too..

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

Last edited by Bob Loblaw on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why would the Dodgers want Thome? The guy cannot play the field.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:22 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Why would the Dodgers want Thome? The guy cannot play the field.

Very good question !!

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:31 pm 

The White Sox will receive infielder Justin Fuller in the deal, and are sending cash to LA that will presumably cover part, or all or Thome's salary according to Mark Gonzales of The Chicago Tribune.

Per Mark Gonzalez, " The Dodgers were reportedly seeking a run-producing bat off the bench, and Thome would certainly fit that description. It remains to be seen how the 39-yr old Thome will be used in Chavez Revine however, as the National League doesn't have a DH. Thome has played just 28 innings at first since 2005."

Last edited by Bob Loblaw on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East.
Bob Loblaw wrote:
It remains to be seen how the 39-yr old Thome will be used in Chavez Revine however, as the National League doesn't have a DH.

Thanks for the insight on the DH.

Why would they use him any differently at Chavez Ravine than on the road?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:39 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
"In Chavez Ravine" being a synecdoche for "playing for the Dodgers."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Bob Loblaw = SHARK's Law Blog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:42 pm 

NSJ wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
It remains to be seen how the 39-yr old Thome will be used in Chavez Revine however, as the National League doesn't have a DH.

Thanks for the insight on the DH.

Why would they use him any differently at Chavez Ravine than on the road?

Good question...ask Mark Gonzalez, its his quote. I assume thats him saying "as a Dodger".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:39 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Class act all they way. Good luck Jim!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:20 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
DDD wrote:
When do the Justin Fuller is great comments start?
Quite a slap in the face to Thome. I understand salary relief and not resigning him, but have some class as an organization.

Yeah. it is really a slap in the face to send a guy to a REAL WORLD SERIES CONTENDER and not the FANBOY BULLSHIT we have around here on both sides of town.

Why try and win a World Series when you are 39 when you can stay right here in Baseball Hell?

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
The end of a great era in sports talk radio. I really miss callers complaining about losing Rowand for Thome :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:24 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Puckhead wrote:
The end of a great era in sports talk radio. I really miss callers complaining about losing Rowand for Thome :roll:

The best part of it is Rowand was never replaced and it will take them probably 5 years to replace Thome as a left handed power hitter....Rah Rah Kenny....quite the genius. :lol:

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:51 am 

pizza_Place: home run inn
cpguy wrote:
Class act all they way. Good luck Jim!

+1

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:27 am 

pizza_Place: ***
They should have done this a month ago. Instead, KW deluded himself into thinking that this team was something more than medicore. He had chips with value, and he waited until their value hit pretty much rock bottom to deal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:40 am 

Irish Boy wrote:
They should have done this a month ago. Instead, KW deluded himself into thinking that this team was something more than medicore. He had chips with value, and he waited until their value hit pretty much rock bottom to deal.

So your were calling for the white flag trades in July of '97?

A month ago. Come on. The Sox were 2 games back two weeks ago after Contrearas threw a three hitter. If Kenny had put Thome, Dye, and Contreras on the block then, people would have called for his head.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:49 am 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:51 am 

I still do not get this trade from the Dodgers standpoint, you get a guy that you can only use for 1 AB per game because he cannot play the field? Is that really worth it?

Best of luck to Thome tho, he is a class act.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:53 am 

RFDC wrote:
I still do not get this trade from the Dodgers standpoint, you get a guy that you can only use for 1 AB per game because he cannot play the field? Is that really worth it?

i think they can get away with Thome at 1b a couple times a week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:02 am 

Irish Boy wrote:

That just isn't true. Kenny Williams probably wishes he could have done it a month ago. The White Sox got killed for a "white flag trade" for doing the same thing a while ago. They were too close in the standings to throw in the towel.

That would be like saying that the Cubs should have done this a month ago. In hindsight, it would have been better but at the time they would have gotten killed for it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:12 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That just isn't true. Kenny Williams probably wishes he could have done it a month ago. The White Sox got killed for a "white flag trade" for doing the same thing a while ago. They were too close in the standings to throw in the towel.

That would be like saying that the Cubs should have done this a month ago. In hindsight, it would have been better but at the time they would have gotten killed for it.

What white flag trade?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
DDD wrote:
When do the Justin Fuller is great comments start?
Quite a slap in the face to Thome. I understand salary relief and not resigning him, but have some class as an organization.

Maybe Thome wasn't willing to waive the no-trade clause in July. Mull that over as you sip the Cubbie Blue kool-aid.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:15 am 

NSJ wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

What white flag trade?

I guess I have a loose definition of "a while ago".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Flag_Trade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:19 am 

from the AP reports....The five-time All-Star is owed $2,415,301 from his $13 million salary, and is eligible to become a free agent after the World Series.

The White Sox get minor league infielder Justin Fuller and will send cash to the Dodgers. It was not immediately known how much Chicago was sending to the Dodgers.

____

So if we are sending cash to the Dodgers, what is the point of a salary dump..? Is this solely to accomadate Thome and send him to a contender..? I was hoping we just trim a little payroll.

What I'm curious about is how it will break down as far as $$ paid per AB as a Dodger. They have 30 games left, so if he gets 1 plate appearance per game as a PH the rest of the year, thats $80,510 per AB. Not bad work if you can get it. Good for Big Jim.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:27 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
NSJ wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

What white flag trade?

I guess I have a loose definition of "a while ago".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Flag_Trade

Ok - maybe I missed your point, Rick. Are you saying that like the white flag trade of '97, if Kenny had put Thome, Dye, and Contreras on the block then, people would have called for his head?

If so, you make an excellent point. The Sox were only 2 games back two weeks ago after Contrearas beat KC in a three hitter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:33 am 

NSJ wrote:
Ok - maybe I missed your point, Rick. Are you saying that like the white flag trade of '97, if Kenny had put Thome, Dye, and Contreras on the block then, people would have called for his head?

If so, you make an excellent point. The Sox were only 2 games back two weeks ago after Contrearas beat KC in a three hitter.

Yes.

Everyone is blaming Kenny for "deluding himself" into thinking they could make the playoffs but at the time they were definitely a contender. It was actually terrible timing because everyone saw the major holes in the team. He actually did a pretty remarkable job preparing for 2010 while not giving up on the season and he still was at least able to get something for Thome and Contreras.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:40 am 

RFDC wrote:

Is the guy the Dodgers sent here any good? If they don't think he's much of a player AND the Sox are sending money their way, they picked up a left-handed power bat on the bench for basically nothing.