It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:49 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Read the article in today's Tribune about "Aggressive Kenny" the teflon GM.

Kenny states he doesn't know which players have quit on the White Sox.....

MAYBE HE SHOULD ASK OZZIE!!!!

Kenny states that the Sox have to have a higher on base percentage and more extra base hits....

GEE, KENNY, DIDN'T YOU FIGURE THAT OUT IN 2008 WITH YOUR HOME RUN OR NOTHING OFFENSE????

Kenny says the White Sox will take extra infield practice next season!!!!!!!!!

WHY NOT FIND PLAYERS THAT CAN ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME, GENIUS??????

Hey Kenny......THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE AND YOU CAN STOP BLAMING FANS FOR YOUR BLUNDERING.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:56 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
They need to relieve Kenny of his duties along with Ozzie.

These two have lost their luster and the team has tuned them out.

Mr. Intensity has a whole team of suck on his hands for 2010.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Country Bumpkin wrote:

Terrible idea, but if they do fire Ozzie. I'd give my left nut for the Cubs to sign him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:58 am 
1000 CLUB

Northside_Dan wrote:
Country Bumpkin wrote:

Terrible idea, but if they do fire Ozzie. I'd give my left nut for the Cubs to sign him.

You can have him. He's Anti-Lou Pinella. He's a loud-mouth, says stupid shit for effect but gets nothing from his players. His players don't fear him whatsoever. AJ just says, "That's Ozzie being Ozzie". What that means is STFU.

I'll trade you straight up for Lou, he wants the game played right and doesn't tolerate bullshit. I think Cubs management really hamstrung him from being the Manager he wanted to be.

I'm sick of Ozzie's shit. Take him and good fuckin' luck with all that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:25 am 

Country Bumpkin wrote:

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. Ozzie and KW should not be done. They have both done a good job and deserve the opportunity to continue to build on the foundation that has been laid.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
kenny needs to point the thumb before he points the finger, going into the season with BA and a 32 year-old wise in center? Contraras and bartolo cologn as your 4th and 5th starter? :shock: $1 million for Cologn? :shock: This team sucked and underachieved in many areas, but there was a reason that a lot of "experts" picked them to be in forth or fifth in the division before a single game was played.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Let me mention these names...Jose Contreras, Bartolo Colon, Wilson Betemit, Brian Anderson, Brent Lillibridge, Joshua Fields, Corky Miller & Mike MacDougal...These guys were on the Opening Day roster for the 2009 White Sox. :oops: Kenny could've had Bobby Abreu, who will be postseason-bound with the Anaheim Angels & Orlando Hudson, who is one of the many reasons why the Los Angeles Dodgers will be postseason-bound and could've secured second base ahead of the platoon of Chris Getz & Jayson Nix. Jake Peavy could've been here a lot sooner had he not blocked the initial trade with the San Diego Padres...Like many people, Uncle Jerry was more concerned about his team's bottom line rather than wins & losses on the field. Reinsdorf is very concerned he'll lose more sponsors in the offseason after the likes of Bank of America & Pontiac dropped sponsorships this year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
Country Bumpkin wrote:

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. Ozzie and KW should not be done. They have both done a good job and deserve the opportunity to continue to build on the foundation that has been laid.

Bring it on. This team has been picked third in the AL Central for the last 3 years. Kenny is an egotistical jag who blames the fans for low attendance and therefore does not allow him to be competitive in drafts, trades, etc. Fuck you Kenny, it's because the team you have created is a perennial underachiever and everyone knows it.

Ozzie was fun at first, but he is now a joke. His team doesn't give a rat's ass about what he says anymore and no one feels like their jobs are at stake. Then Kenny comes in and acts like this hard ass and makes threats about not quitting, please.

I'm not discounting the 2010 and saying they will fail, but I sure as hell WILL NOT invest much time watching them until they prove me wrong. This season was a colossal waste of time watching these jags. These douches have quit and are sure playing like it. Swept at home? Fuck you White Sox.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:48 pm 

Kenny should look in the mirror and be forced to watch Alexei Ramirez throw a routine ground ball into the stands, Anthony John Pierzynski constantly not even throw the ball to stop a runner from stealing second, along with the idiotic decision to have Scott Podsednik play center field before getting Alex Rio$! :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
SHARK wrote:
Alex Rio$!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:53 pm 

I put a dollar sign at the end of Alex Rio$' name and others for a reason...It's about the Benjamins with these athletes...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Let's start the season with 3 starters, no CF, no 2B, ans see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:57 pm 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Let's start the season with 3 starters, no CF, no 2B, ans see what happens.

Gloopan, how about no true lead-off hitter, too? DeWayne "The Catch" Wise? Are you kidding me? :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
HOLD!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Zimmer wrote:
Players

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
HOOOLLDDDDDDDDDD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
Kenny wasn't worried.

He also knew how awesome Jerry Owens was. Why worry about CF when you got THE Jerry Owens waiting in the wings to back up quality players like Wise and BA?

He still hasn't recovered from not getting Torii. God-forbid they actually produce their own players, that would be unheard of.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:43 am 

I happen to think that Kenny does a good job and I hope that he stays (which he will).

For those of you who who want him gone, I am just curious as to who you think would be a better GM. There are 29 other GMs out there and I really cannot think of too many that I would like to have. Cashman? Has not produced shit in years despite a massive payroll. Epstein? Admittedly, very good. Then again, he has much more to work with than Kenny does. Billy Beane? Certainly limited by payroll, but still has not produced much of anything for all of his genius. Hendry?, Dombrowski?, Colletti? No, no, no.

I am sure that there are some other good GMs out there. However, the natural tendency is to evaluate them based upon moves that go sideways (as I think many people are doing with Kenny) and forget the ones that work.

I don't want to hear about the Abreu situation. Aside from the Angels, every other team in baseball passed on the guy also. Every year there are cheap free agents that put together surprise seasons. Does that make the GM that signed them a genius? No. It also does not make every other GM a fool. Kenny has had his share of good free agent surprises in the past. He should not be blamed for missing on Abreu.

I also don't understand this expectation that every year he produce a team that comes out of spring training with 8 proven position players, 5 proven starters and a proven bullpen. That is unrealistic given the economics of the game. The unfortunate fact is that almost every team has to take a chance on some rookies (like Getz, Nix, Bacon), some washed up old guys (Colon, Contreras) and some also-rans (BA, Wise) and hope that they can get some production out of them.

Don't get me wrong. This is the worst baseball season that I can remember in a while. The way that the Sox have laid down the past month is particularly disturbing. If I was convinced that there was a GM out there who could do a better job than Kenny, I would be all for dumping him. I just don't see it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:36 pm 

Turd Ferguson wrote:
I happen to think that Kenny does a good job and I hope that he stays (which he will).

For those of you who who want him gone, I am just curious as to who you think would be a better GM. There are 29 other GMs out there and I really cannot think of too many that I would like to have.

In regards to Kenny, keep in mind:

In November 1992, Williams rejoined the White Sox organization as a scout. Named special assistant to Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf in 1994, he spent some time as a studio analyst for Sox games on SportsChannel Chicago before becoming the team's director of minor league operations in 1995. In 1997, he was named vice-president of player development, a position in which he remained until 2000. In November 2000, Williams replaced Ron Schueler as the general manager.

So basically over the last 17 years, he has scouted for the Sox, directed the minor league system, was in charge of player development and is about to finish his 9th season as GM. What players did he develop in 17 years? Not too many. How is our farm system? Not too good. How is our payroll flexiblity? Not too good. 17 years of this guy, I think I've seen enough. He is what he is, and that's not good.

Also here's a nice article ranking the Sox 29th out of all 30 teams on how each team has fared over the past 10 years in the draft.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... index.html

What's an example of a good GM? Here's just a few with a litte wiki-info.

Michael Hill is a Vice President and the General Manager of the Florida Marlins baseball club. Hill was promoted from his position as a Vice President and Assistant General Manager to the General Manager position on September 29, 2007. He went to Harvard and was drafted in 1993 by the Texas Rangers. He joined the Tampa Bay Devil Rays front office in 1995 and then went to the Colorado Rockies before joining the Marlins.

Andrew Friedman is the Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations for the Tampa Bay Rays franchise in Major League Baseball. In that position, he acts as the team's General Manager. From 2004 to 2005, Friedman served as the Director of Baseball Development for the Rays. Friedman was promoted to his current position after the 2005 season, at the tender age of 28, replacing the club's first General Manager, Chuck LaMar, who was fired following the club's 8th losing season in its 8 years in existence.

Tony Reagins is the general manager of the Los Angeles Angels of American Major League Baseball. He is only the fourth African-American General Manager of a Major League Baseball club in history (preceded by Bill Lucas of the Atlanta Braves, Bob Watson of the Houston Astros and New York Yankees, and Kenny Williams of the Chicago White Sox). He was promoted on October 16, 2007, having previously held the position of director of player development since 2002.

Rubén Amaro, Jr. is the General Manager of the Philadelphia Phillies.He is also a former Major League Baseball outfielder who played from 1991 to 1998. He is the son of former infielder Rubén Amaro, Sr.. He was named General Manager of the Phillies on November 3, 2008, succeeding Pat Gillick.

Pat Gillick, was the general manager of four Major League Baseball teams. He guided teams to three championships in his career: 1992 and 1993 titles with the Toronto Blue Jays, and a 2008 title with the Philadelphia Phillies.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:27 pm 

Theo Epstein>Kenny Williams

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:02 pm 

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:

For those of you who who want him gone, I am just curious as to who you think would be a better GM. There are 29 other GMs out there and I really cannot think of too many that I would like to have.

In November 1992, Williams rejoined the White Sox organization as a scout. Named special assistant to Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf in 1994, he spent some time as a studio analyst for Sox games on SportsChannel Chicago before becoming the team's director of minor league operations in 1995. In 1997, he was named vice-president of player development, a position in which he remained until 2000. In November 2000, Williams replaced Ron Schueler as the general manager.

So basically over the last 17 years, he has scouted for the Sox, directed the minor league system, was in charge of player development and is about to finish his 9th season as GM. What players did he develop in 17 years? Not too many. How is our farm system? Not too good. How is our payroll flexiblity? Not too good. 17 years of this guy, I think I've seen enough. He is what he is, and that's not good.

Also here's a nice article ranking the Sox 29th out of all 30 teams on how each team has fared over the past 10 years in the draft.

Michael Hill is a Vice President and the General Manager of the Florida Marlins baseball club. Hill was promoted from his position as a Vice President and Assistant General Manager to the General Manager position on September 29, 2007. He went to Harvard and was drafted in 1993 by the Texas Rangers. He joined the Tampa Bay Devil Rays front office in 1995 and then went to the Colorado Rockies before joining the Marlins.

Andrew Friedman is the Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations for the Tampa Bay Rays franchise in Major League Baseball. In that position, he acts as the team's General Manager. From 2004 to 2005, Friedman served as the Director of Baseball Development for the Rays. Friedman was promoted to his current position after the 2005 season, at the tender age of 28, replacing the club's first General Manager, Chuck LaMar, who was fired following the club's 8th losing season in its 8 years in existence.

Tony Reagins is the general manager of the Los Angeles Angels of American Major League Baseball. He is only the fourth African-American General Manager of a Major League Baseball club in history (preceded by Bill Lucas of the Atlanta Braves, Bob Watson of the Houston Astros and New York Yankees, and Kenny Williams of the Chicago White Sox). He was promoted on October 16, 2007, having previously held the position of director of player development since 2002.

Rubén Amaro, Jr. is the General Manager of the Philadelphia Phillies.He is also a former Major League Baseball outfielder who played from 1991 to 1998. He is the son of former infielder Rubén Amaro, Sr.. He was named General Manager of the Phillies on November 3, 2008, succeeding Pat Gillick.

Pat Gillick, was the general manager of four Major League Baseball teams. He guided teams to three championships in his career: 1992 and 1993 titles with the Toronto Blue Jays, and a 2008 title with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Okay. I don't get it. Gillick is impressive. What makes the other guys on your list so great? None of them is any more accomplished or qualified than KW.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:06 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I agree with that. But that is not a reason to fire Kenny (unless by some minor miracle you could actually replace him with Epstein).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:07 pm 

Turd Ferguson wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:

Okay. I don't get it. Gillick is impressive. What makes the other guys on your list so great? None of them is any more accomplished or qualified than KW.

My main problem with Kenny is that he has been with the organization for 17 years so his fingerprints are on EVERYTHING. At every level. Over the last 17 years the Sox have gone thru managers, players, farm system changes, etc and they are always average at best. The only constant over that 17 years has been that Kenny has been a Sox employee. I also thnk that SI link I posted also speaks volumes about Kenny.

I have never considered who should replace him, but there are several GM I would rather have, so I just listed those few guys.

Michael Hill (Florida) - He has been GM for 2 years. Before that he was assistant GM (since 2002), so he was groomed. The guy has a payroll of $36 million. They are 11 games over .500 right now. The Sox have a payroll of $96 million and are 7 games under. They were 84-77 last year in his first year as GM with a $21 million payroll !

Andrew Friedman (Rays) from 2004 to 2005, Friedman served as the Director of Baseball Development for the Rays. Who has produced more young talent than the Rays? How many quality homegrown players have come up thru Kenny's system? Maybe 1 every 3 or 4 years? The Rays went 97-65 and won the AL EAST, crushed the WHITE SOX in the playoffs and then beat a loaded Boston team. Lost in the series. All with a $43 Million payroll, Sox was $121 mill on Opening Day. Also produced ROY Evan Longoria in 2008. 4 games over now with $63 million payroll in toughest division.

Tony Reagins (Angels) GM since Oct 2007. Held the position of director of player development since 2002. The Sox have no players to show for when Kenny had that job. Angles have several. The payrolls match up pretty good for a comparison for 2008 and 09. Sox: $121MM (08) $96MM (09). LAA $119MM and $114MM. LAA is 90-62 right now. 100-62 last year. Have won division 4 of last 5 years.

Rubén Amaro, Jr (Phillies) groomed as assistant GM for 10 years, last 3 under Gillick. Had the ROY in 2005 (howard), MVP in 2006 (howard), MVP in 2007 (Rollins). Won the Series last year.

Those are just 4 GM's. There are several more. They and Kenny all had similar career paths. Those teams are now doing well and all clearly have organizational philosophies. Unfortunately the Sox don't seem to. I have nothing against Kenny at all. I think he tries really, really hard. No one cares more about the Sox than Kenny.

Instead of a list of scrappy baseball players, they should make lists of scrappy baseball executives. Kenny would be #1 on every list. He tries really hard, but that doesn't mean he's good at his job. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just think I have higher expectations than most Sox fans.

This is Kenny's 9th season as GM and we've won the division twice (and I don't brag about last years 89 win team, they sucked). Outside of 2005, the Sox have never won over 90 games in Kenny's tenure and that's in a terrible division.

Your original question was who be a better GM or who do you replace him with...I have no idea who should replace Kenny, but imo, there are tons of current GM's that are much better at their job than Kenny is and those are just a few of them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:47 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:

Theo Epstein's $revenue and the appeal of his ballpark > Kenny Williams' budget and revenues.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:56 pm 

Be careful with that kind of thinking. You are just begging for a "FANBOY.......HOOTERVILLE...... :lol:.... :lol:.......... :lol:" response from Constipated Old Sox Fan Bob.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
No doubt that KW left this team with some glaring holes, but you cannot deny that Epstien has more $ and noteriety with the Red Sawx.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:46 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
No doubt that KW left this team with some glaring holes, but you cannot deny that Epstien has more $ and noteriety with the Red Sawx.

The glaring holes being the farm system, the offense, the defense and the bullpen.

Kenny ought to figure out he should be doing his job a lot better and stop with his chip on the shoulder tough guy public threats.

In Reinsdorfland, Kenny's job is secure, as is Ozzie's.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:52 am 

Country Bumpkin wrote:

In Reinsdorf World guys don't get summarily dismissed for poor job performance....It is obvious that loyalty and ass kissing matter more in what appears to be a mom and pop grocery atmosphere.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:12 am 

Bob Loblaw wrote:
My main problem with Kenny is that he has been with the organization for 17 years so his fingerprints are on EVERYTHING. At every level. Over the last 17 years the Sox have gone thru managers, players, farm system changes, etc and they are always average at best. The only constant over that 17 years has been that Kenny has been a Sox employee. I also thnk that SI link I posted also speaks volumes about Kenny.

I have never considered who should replace him, but there are several GM I would rather have, so I just listed those few guys.

Michael Hill (Florida) - He has been GM for 2 years. Before that he was assistant GM (since 2002), so he was groomed. The guy has a payroll of $36 million. They are 11 games over .500 right now. The Sox have a payroll of $96 million and are 7 games under. They were 84-77 last year in his first year as GM with a $21 million payroll !

Andrew Friedman (Rays) from 2004 to 2005, Friedman served as the Director of Baseball Development for the Rays. Who has produced more young talent than the Rays? How many quality homegrown players have come up thru Kenny's system? Maybe 1 every 3 or 4 years? The Rays went 97-65 and won the AL EAST, crushed the WHITE SOX in the playoffs and then beat a loaded Boston team. Lost in the series. All with a $43 Million payroll, Sox was $121 mill on Opening Day. Also produced ROY Evan Longoria in 2008. 4 games over now with $63 million payroll in toughest division.

Tony Reagins (Angels) GM since Oct 2007. Held the position of director of player development since 2002. The Sox have no players to show for when Kenny had that job. Angles have several. The payrolls match up pretty good for a comparison for 2008 and 09. Sox: $121MM (08) $96MM (09). LAA $119MM and $114MM. LAA is 90-62 right now. 100-62 last year. Have won division 4 of last 5 years.

Rubén Amaro, Jr (Phillies) groomed as assistant GM for 10 years, last 3 under Gillick. Had the ROY in 2005 (howard), MVP in 2006 (howard), MVP in 2007 (Rollins). Won the Series last year.

Those are just 4 GM's. There are several more. They and Kenny all had similar career paths. Those teams are now doing well and all clearly have organizational philosophies. Unfortunately the Sox don't seem to. I have nothing against Kenny at all. I think he tries really, really hard. No one cares more about the Sox than Kenny.

Instead of a list of scrappy baseball players, they should make lists of scrappy baseball executives. Kenny would be #1 on every list. He tries really hard, but that doesn't mean he's good at his job. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just think I have higher expectations than most Sox fans.

This is Kenny's 9th season as GM and we've won the division twice (and I don't brag about last years 89 win team, they sucked). Outside of 2005, the Sox have never won over 90 games in Kenny's tenure and that's in a terrible division.

Your original question was who be a better GM or who do you replace him with...I have no idea who should replace Kenny, but imo, there are tons of current GM's that are much better at their job than Kenny is and those are just a few of them.

Those guys can be put in the conversation when/if they get one of these.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:36 am 
1000 CLUB

Still not a reason for allowing poor performance and underachievement to continue for 4 years +.

Are you going to trot that picture out when the Sox haven't won for 4 more years?

I don't give a shit if the Sox win in 2010, if they play like garbage in 2011, I will demand Kenny's head for poor performance. Chicago is not some small market team like KC or Arizona or SD, they need to quit acting like they are and spend the money needed to bring high caliber players here in their primes.

I accept losing, but not I do not accept losing by being passive and scared.