It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Discussion: Dan Uggla
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: home run inn
Discussion: Dan Uggla
By Mark Polishuk [October 7 at 10:23pm CST]
His name is Dan Uggla, and he can be had for the right price this offseason. The 29-year-old Florida second baseman has 121 homers and an .826 OPS in his four major league seasons, but between his war of words with Marlins franchise player Hanley Ramirez and the $7-8MM he is likely to earn in arbitration, rumors have been swirling that the Fish are looking to move Uggla out of south Florida before he becomes too pricey for their taste.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal listed the Dodgers, Cardinals, Orioles, Twins, Giants and Diamondbacks as possible suitors for Uggla in an article last month. The Snakes may be out of the running now since, as reported by the Arizona Republic's Nick Piecoro, Arizona will likely look at internal candidates to play second base. Baltimore already has Brian Roberts entrenched at second, but if Uggla was interested in moving to third base he would surely become attractive to even more clubs.

Of the clubs on Rosenthal's list, Minnesota stands out since it's unusual for the small-market Twins to be looking at picking up high-priced talent, rather than moving it themselves. But with Target Field opening in 2010, the Twins may have some extra revenue to spend on both picking up the tab for Uggla and (the team's top priority) signing Joe Mauer to a long-term contract. Minnesota has holes at both second and third that Uggla could fill.

Would Uggla fit best on one of the aforementioned six clubs, or is there another team out there with both the money and the need for a slugging second (or third) baseman?

uggla wouldn't be a bad option at 2nd for the soxs would he be ??....proablly could be gotten for the unproven arms in the minors.....

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:03 am 

Just what the Sox need, another guy who strikes out alot and can't play defense.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
I they could get him for nothing, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Yes, he does strike out too much (150 in 09) and his defense it substandard, but I can live with it on this team. All I keep hearing is how great Alexei's glove is, so the D should be better next year and the OF D can't be worse than it was last year.

Here's a few positives:

1) Led all MLB 2B in BB with 92.

2) 2nd all MLB 2B with 31 HR.

3) 3rd in OPS in NL at 2B

4) His .354 OBP was higher than the mighty pods' OBP of .353. NO I don't want him leading off :lol: , but at least he can take a walk and get on base.

5) his D can't be worse than Nix. if he starts then you have a legit utility guy in Getz on the bench.

6) has hit 27, 31, 32, 31 HR in his 4 seasons, which establishes his consistency (and his BA: .282, .245, .260, .243).

No he's not the be all, end all solution for the Sox at 2B, but he's clearly better than internal options. Kenny has shown he's good at "pass the trash", I would hope he could get him for a few bums.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:23 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The president of the Chris Getz ALSHARK is NOT going to be happy with this.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Frank, you read it here. Chris Getz will be the full-time second baseman and leadoff hitter for the 2010 Chicago White Sox if the Southsiders say goodbye to Scott Podsednik in the offseason. Besides, the Sox want to cut payroll considerably, and Dan Uggla's out of their price range even though the Florida Marlins are supposedly strapped for cash themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
SHARK wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Frank, you read it here. Chris Getz will be the full-time second baseman and leadoff hitter for the 2010 Chicago White Sox if the Southsiders say goodbye to Scott Podsednik in the offseason. Besides, the Sox want to cut payroll considerably, and Dan Uggla's out of their price range even though the Florida Marlins are supposedly strapped for cash themselves.

I just wonder if Getz is 2010 speak for Fontenot. Hopefully, Sox fans, it is not. But me thinks it might be.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:37 am 

If Chris Getz isn't the full-time second baseman next year, Gordon Beckham plays there instead of third base.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
Is there any team not looking to cut payroll this off-season? Maybe the Royals? Twins could stand to add some payroll to usher in their new ballpark, but isn't it about time they paid Joe Mauer, before he hits the free agent market after the 2010 season.

This off-season is bad timing to be a free agent.

I think Placido Polanco is another 2B on the free-agent market this off-season.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:42 am 

NearWessSideHussra wrote:
Is there any team not looking to cut payroll this off-season? Maybe the Royals? Twins could stand to add some payroll to usher in their new ballpark, but isn't it about time they paid Joe Mauer, before he hits the free agent market after the 2010 season.

This off-season is bad timing to be a free agent.

I think Placido Polanco is another 2B on the free-agent market this off-season.

You are correct. Placido Polanco is on the free agent market, and I remember the Ranger on his White Sox Radio Network postgame shows mentioning Getz in the same breath as #14 in Detroit colors. However, Polanco's not getting any younger...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:55 am 

DegenerateDave wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I just wonder if Getz is 2010 speak for Fontenot. Hopefully, Sox fans, it is not. But me thinks it might be.

it's "methinks", sneed...and don't use it again

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:03 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

good dolphin wrote:
it's "methinks", sneed...and don't use it again

sorry - I was trying to be more "sharky" then "sneedy" - I don't do either well. But the thought stands.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm 

Ah, yeah, and Polanco's been saddled with the dreaded (for an over 34 year old free agent) 'Type A' designation. Which means that the only way any one signs him is if he comes at a discount, cuz you don't pay premium for someone that old and give up a draft pick in the process.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: home run inn
SHARK wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

if thats the case fourth place here we come...K.C. will pass us

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:44 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:

Apples and oranges. Getz is an everyday player while Fontenot was a part time player. Getz had 375 at bats (with a couple DL stints) while Fontenot had only 243 AB's. Fontenot played in matchups that favored HIM and was successful. In '09 it showed just how overmatched he was on a daily basis. That's why you can't extrapolate a part-time players numbers over a full season. There's no dodging the bad matchups. Cy Young candidate? You're playing. Tough lefty? You're playing. Righty with a deadly slider? You're playing. When healthy Getz played everyday and held his own and I expect him to continue to improve next season (not hitting leadoff).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:53 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:

Apples and oranges. Getz is an everyday player while Fontenot was a part time player. Getz had 375 at bats (with a couple DL stints) while Fontenot had only 243 AB's. Fontenot played in matchups that favored HIM and was successful. In '09 it showed just how overmatched he was on a daily basis. That's why you can't extrapolate a part-time players numbers over a full season. There's no dodging the bad matchups. Cy Young candidate? You're playing. Tough lefty? You're playing. Righty with a deadly slider? You're playing. When healthy Getz played everyday and held his own and I expect him to continue to improve next season (not hitting leadoff).

I hope you are right KS - I don't have any animosity for Sox fans or their team. There is just something about hitting that 450 AB plateau where you separate the everyday players from the super subs. To be honest with you, I always thought Derosa was one of those players but he has obviously refuted that. Speaking of Derosa, isn't he a free agent as well? I thought he was.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:03 pm 

Mark DeRosa -- another over 34 year old free-agent burdened with the scarlet A this off-season.