It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scotty Pods Priced Out?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Scott Podsednik, thanks for the memories? On the same day that the White Sox & Royals completed a trade in which third baseman Mark Teahen and cash will be coming to the South Side for second baseman Chris Getz & third/first baseman Joshua Fields and also announced the end of the Jermaine Dye era by not picking up his option, might "Scotty Pods" be far behind?

It appears that way, according to White Sox General Manager Kenny Williams and Sun-Times/SCORE Insider Joe Cowley. There are rumblings that Podsednik might have priced himself out of the market to come back to the South side next year. According to Cowley's latest blog entry at 670thescore.com, talks have broken down between Podsednik, his agent and Williams, who claims that "Money is tight." There are reports that Scotty Pods may have asked for $7.5 million a season for 2 years, and may be considered outrageous by many. It also doesn't necessarily mean that Anaheim's Chone Figgins, considered one of the few free agent prizes in a weak class this offseason, is within the Sox price range. Cowley reports that Sox prospect Jordan Danks could be in line as the third outfielder and potential new leadoff hitter at U.S. Cellular Field next year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
This is probably Pods last contract, I don't blame him for trying to get all he can. I'll just be surprised if he does.

That's a pretty tall order asking Danks to leadoff ....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
Pods will be back knocking at the door of the Sox because no other team in baseball is going to give him 7.5 Mil over 2 years. He was unclaimed on waivers before the Sox picked him up if I recall?

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
Scott Podsednik, thanks for the memories? On the same day that the White Sox & Royals completed a trade in which third baseman Mark Teahen and cash will be coming to the South Side for second baseman Chris Getz & third/first baseman Joshua Fields and also announced the end of the Jermaine Dye era by not picking up his option, might "Scotty Pods" be far behind?

It appears that way, according to White Sox General Manager Kenny Williams and Sun-Times/SCORE Insider Joe Cowley. There are rumblings that Podsednik might have priced himself out of the market to come back to the South side next year. According to Cowley's latest blog entry at 670thescore.com, talks have broken down between Podsednik, his agent and Williams, who claims that "Money is tight." There are reports that Scotty Pods may have asked for $7.5 million a season for 2 years, and may be considered outrageous by many. It also doesn't necessarily mean that Anaheim's Chone Figgins, considered one of the few free agent prizes in a weak class this offseason, is within the Sox price range. Cowley reports that Sox prospect Jordan Danks could be in line as the third outfielder and potential new leadoff hitter at U.S. Cellular Field next year.

If 'money is tight', then why did they trade for Mark Teahan?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
BD wrote:

They got $2MM back from the Royals to offset.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

mel junior wrote:
BD wrote:

OK, that makes more sense. How much money do they add to their payroll with this trade? I thought I had read that Teahan was making somewhere between $4 and $5 million. Was that incorrect?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:20 pm 

Abreu signed for 9 million per year and Pods wants 7.5. I guess he figures it is early in free agency and he might as well ask for the max. He can always play the market and come back to the Sox with the highest bid.

I have a feeling Figgins will get no more than 8. Lots of people will want him, just not that much.

If Abreu signed for 9 then Dye should be worth about 5-6. I'd take another chance on him at that amount.

but geeze, 7.5 for Pods...I wouldn't give him that much over 2 years let alone 1.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
good dolphin wrote:
Abreu signed for 9 million per year and Pods wants 7.5. I guess he figures it is early in free agency and he might as well ask for the max. He can always play the market and come back to the Sox with the highest bid.

I have a feeling Figgins will get no more than 8. Lots of people will want him, just not that much.

If Abreu signed for 9 then Dye should be worth about 5-6. I'd take another chance on him at that amount.

but geeze, 7.5 for Pods...I wouldn't give him that much over 2 years let alone 1.

I thought it WAS over 2 years? Hell I wouldn't pay him that for 2 years, especially not for one. He was out of baseball before he had about a 5 month rejuvenation with the Sox. 7.5 Million is a helluva price to pay for a hunch he will have a similar season production wise.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: home run inn
mel junior wrote:
BD wrote:

3:42pm: Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star heard the Royals sent $1MM to the White Sox with Teahen :wink: :wink: :eye:

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
good dolphin wrote:

Plus as a 32 year old speedster, he's going to want some years on that contract, I'd imagine... that's kind of risky if you end up with a groin pull this year and then two or three more years of an average speed guy with less defensive range still making 8 mill a year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

newper wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Plus as a 32 year old speedster, he's going to want some years on that contract, I'd imagine... that's kind of risky if you end up with a groin pull this year and then two or three more years of an average speed guy with less defensive range still making 8 mill a year.

His age is what concerns me. If he gets a 4 or 5 year deal, how good will he be for the last 2 or 3 years of a contract like that?

I do think he'll get more than $8 million, but I thought Bernstein, who said he thinks he'll get 5 years at $15 million per, is a bit on the high side. I think it'll be a 4 year deal at $11 or $12; remember, all it takes is one crazy team.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:38 am 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
$8~10 sounds about right for Figgins. I hope he doesn't end up with the Sox.

Pods could be a sign & trade for some lucky team. Rongey said on WSW that Kenny's just haggling, and he's probably right. I don't really want to see him back here, but I think you'd be doing worse by putting Danks in the leadoff role this year. Let Pods do what he does and hopefully you can sign him cheap enough that you don't mind eating the contract if his discipline disappears.

Another TIDBIT from WSW: Rumors of a package (Jenks & Jordan Danks?) that could bring Carl Crawford to the Sox. I like the sound of that compared to signing Figgins of the free agent market.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:21 am 

Trading Jenks would create a huge hole in the bullpen (and not just because of his size). Are they going to sign another closer or promote Thornton? If Thornton is the new closer who gets Mauer, Morneau and Kubel out in the 7th or 8th inning? I LOVE the idea of acquiring Crawford but trading Jenks would create more holes in an already questionable bullpen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: home run inn
Figgins Too Expensive For White Sox; Podsednik Talks Heat Up
By Howard Megdal [November 9 at 9:00pm CST]

Chris De Luca of the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that White Sox GM Kenny Williams flatly denied that Chicago would have enough money to spend on free agent leadoff hitter Chone Figgins.

''We don't have that kind of money," Williams said. "Sometimes the minor [free-agent deals] are the major ones, in my mind. How many Novembers have you heard that line?"

De Luca does report, however, that "talks between the Sox and incumbent leadoff hitter Scott Podsednik have heated up in recent days." Podsednik obviously wouldn't command the kind of money Figgins will be seeking

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
While talks have supposedly re-ignited with Scott Podsednik, ESPN Radio 1000's Bruce Levine says that the White Sox DH role could be filled by Jim Thome one more time, the Rangers' Hank Blalock or MVP Hideki Matsui of the New World Champion Yankees. Something tells me that Matsui might be out of the White Sox price range, but that guy can hit!