It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Omar Vizquel?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1040 ... veteran-SS

The White Sox are close to signing free-agent shortstop Omar Vizquel to a one-year contract, according to a major-league source.

Vizquel, 42, will serve largely as a backup to shortstop Alexei Ramirez, but also can spell second baseman Gordon Beckham and third baseman Mark Teahen.

He spent last season with the Rangers in a similar role, appearing in 27 games at short, 20 at third and 16 at second.

The move will unite Vizquel, perhaps the greatest shortstop from Venezuela, with his countryman, White Sox manager — and former shortstop — Ozzie Guillen.

The White Sox's lineage of Venezuelan shortstops goes back even further — all the way to Hall of Famer Luis Aparicio

Post subject: Re: Omar Vizquel?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
sjboyd0137 wrote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10403100/Source:-White-Sox-close-to-signing-veteran-SS

The White Sox are close to signing free-agent shortstop Omar Vizquel to a one-year contract, according to a major-league source.

Vizquel, 42, will serve largely as a backup to shortstop Alexei Ramirez, but also can spell second baseman Gordon Beckham and third baseman Mark Teahen.

He spent last season with the Rangers in a similar role, appearing in 27 games at short, 20 at third and 16 at second.

The move will unite Vizquel, perhaps the greatest shortstop from Venezuela, with his countryman, White Sox manager — and former shortstop — Ozzie Guillen.

The White Sox's lineage of Venezuelan shortstops goes back even further — all the way to Hall of Famer Luis Aparicio

Can still field well. Can't hit for shit, but they don't need him to. If it doesn't cost anything, which I assume it doesn't, I like it...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I think when Ian Kinsler got injured in the second half of the baseball season, Omar Vizquel filled in at second base for the Texas Rangers. I don't think Vizquel would sport the #13 if he signed here, but I do know this. Ozzie was very disappointed that Jayson Nix didn't do more than hit 12 homers platooning with Chris Getz at second on the South side. It was a sure sign how disappointed the White Sox were in Jayson when Brent Lillibridge took over the second base duties in that last week of the season when Getz had the sports hernia that cut his season short before getting dealt to Kansas City in the Mark Teahen trade.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
I think when Ian Kinsler got injured in the second half of the baseball season, Omar Vizquel filled in at second base for the Texas Rangers. I don't think Vizquel would sport the #13 if he signed here, but I do know this. Ozzie was very disappointed that Jayson Nix didn't do more than hit 12 homers platooning with Chris Getz at second on the South side. It was a sure sign how disappointed the White Sox were in Jayson when Brent Lillibridge took over the second base duties in that last week of the season when Getz had the sports hernia that cut his season short before getting dealt to Kansas City in the Mark Teahen trade.

Jayson Nix isn't a SS. He proved that last season when he had to fill in for Ramirez. I don't think the White Sox are down on Nix at all - they just know his limitations.

As for the Vizquel signing, while I assume he'll only get the major league minimum, it's still probably about $1 million for him, but, as the White Sox often remind us, they are broke. I'd rather keep that money, and see how the market plays out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:29 pm 

I NEVER said Jayson Nix was a shortstop, and if you read my post carefully, he platooned at second base w/Chris Getz most of the time. Ozzie believes Jayson has to do much better and be more selective if he's part of the 2010 roster.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
I NEVER said Jayson Nix was a shortstop, and if you read my post carefully, he platooned at second base w/Chris Getz most of the time. Ozzie believes Jayson has to do much better and be more selective if he's part of the 2010 roster.

Do you have a link supporting your argument that Guillen believes Nix has to be much better to make the team next season?

I understand that you stated that Nix isn't a SS - my point is that the Sox had him playing out of position last season. They know his limitations, and, by signing Vizquel, they shouldn't need to do that next season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Are Robert Alomar,and Carl Everett far behind?

I'm out.

Last edited by Walt Williams Neck on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:44 pm 

Maybe they can bring back Sandy Alomar too-hey lets bring Thome back and recreate the '95 Indians. What's Chuck Nagy doing these days?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
Was Davey Concepcion not available?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:18 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Maybe they can bring back Sandy Alomar too-hey lets bring Thome back and recreate the '95 Indians. What's Chuck Nagy doing these days?

Believe it or not, Jim Thome is interested in coming back to the White Sox again next year as this team's DH, even though Jim's stats have declined. Sandy Alomar, Jr. is now the Indians' first base coach, in case you're wondering...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Robbie and Sandy Alomar, Vizquel, Thome- lets get all the 90s Indians! Russel Branyan is a free agent!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
Don't forget Big Bart!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
In all seriousness, I don't see how this move could hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:14 pm 

Apologist wrote:
In all seriousness, I don't see how this move could hurt.

I actually agree-having him as a backup might help him tutor Starvin Marvin and teach him how to be a real shortstop.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:48 pm 

I like this move too. If Alexei can't learn how to keep his head in the game for 9 innings from Omar and Ozzie then he never will.

If the gates are open I'd LOVE to see Omar take infield without a glove. I hear it's quite a show.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East - Pepperoni & Garlic Deep Dish
Keyser Soze wrote:
I like this move too. If Alexei can't learn how to keep his head in the game for 9 innings from Omar and Ozzie then he never will.

If the gates are open I'd LOVE to see Omar take infield without a glove. I hear it's quite a show.

I've heard this too and would be great to see,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:48 pm 

mel junior wrote:
Don't forget Big Bart!

Did they ever find Bartolo Colon before the White Sox released his big butt? :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Yeah, but who's job is he taking? Lillibridge, or Wise... someone of that ilk. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:07 pm 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Maybe "Camp Cora" needs another counselor.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:07 am 
1000 CLUB

OOgie wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

You are an idiot then! This is not a move you like! This is a move that is made if none of your younger players show anything! This is the AL! We are never pulling a pitcher and need to flip flop a position.
Omar is a fine defensive late inning national league guy after you pulled a pitcher. he hit .266 which was his high mark in the last 3 years. I want my bench player in the AL to have power or speed, not just friends with Ozzie and 42 years old!

Nix has power, and Vizquel is replacing nobody, unless you are counting Llllbridge. I don't see how this can be a bad move, if he's a defensive replacement. The White Sox were a poor defensive team last season, it's nice to see them make a move to address that, at least to some extent.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: nowhere
I believe this signing is primarily for Alexi's benefit. I think Vizquel is being brought in to be more of a mentor to Ramirez. It's a great move on the Sox part. Hell I'm sure Bacon will pick Omar's brain as well. When it come to fielding it didn't get much better than Vizquel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:29 am 

Last season everyone bitched about the errors and unearned runs the defense allowed. Here is Vizquels 2009 season:

SS- 196 innings 0 errors
2B- 126 innings 0 errors
3B- 101 innings 0 errors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Vizquel gives White Sox veteran utility man
Shortstop immediately provides South Siders versatility
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- The White Sox Venezuelan connection at shortstop added on another link Monday afternoon, with the announcement of the official signing of Omar Vizquel. The move had been reported as close last week.

Vizquel, who turns 43 on April 24, follows the likes of legendary countrymen up the middle for the White Sox such as Chico Carrasquel (1950-55), Luis Aparicio (1956-62, 1968-70) and current manager Ozzie Guillen, who was the team's starting shortstop from 1985-97. Whereas the first three served as starters for the White Sox, Vizquel has agreed to a one-year deal as purely a backup for the South Siders.

This move makes sense for the White Sox on a couple of fronts. Guillen always has discussed how he wants his utility infielder to be a shortstop first, and even at 43, Vizquel still is as sound defensively as most younger shortstops in the game. Over 27 games played at the position for the Rangers in 2009, Vizquel didn't commit an error.

In fact, over the 62 games Vizquel played for the Rangers at shortstop, second base and third base, Vizquel was flawless in the field. The veteran of 21 big league seasons also becomes the best bunter on the team upon his arrival, with 244 career sacrifices, and will serve as an outstanding mentor for the youthful double-play combination of shortstop Alexei Ramirez in his second year at the position and Gordon Beckham in his first year playing second.

General manager Ken Williams tried to previously add Vizquel in November 2004, offering the 11-time Gold Glove winner a two-year deal. But the Giants swept in at the last minute, offering the veteran a three-year deal and inking his services.

Instead of Vizquel, the White Sox went with Juan Uribe at shortstop and Tadahito Iguchi at second in the 2005 campaign. And the rest literally was history for the World Series champs.

With Vizquel on board, the youthful utility tandem of Jayson Nix and Brent Lillibridge has been put on further notice. Guillen spoke at the end of the 2008 campaign as to how Nix needed to make better contact and Lillibridge needed to take greater advantage of his speed to secure their respective roster spots. There figures to be one spot left between the two of them, although even before Vizquel and the White Sox agreed to terms, Nix understood the task facing him.

"My focus is on making the adjustments I need to make and to come in being the most complete player I can be," Nix said. "From there, whatever happens, happens.

"If I'm on my game and doing what I'm capable of doing, opportunities will come. I'm just focused on doing what I need to do to help the team more."

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.