It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: home run inn
White Sox Re-Sign Ramon Castro
By Tim Dierkes [January 12 at 2:09pm CST]
The White Sox re-signed catcher Ramon Castro to a one-year, $1MM deal with a club option for 2011, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

Castro, 34 in March, was traded with cash by the Mets to the White Sox in May of '09 for Lance Broadway. Castro hit .219/.292/.406 in 171 plate appearances on the season, catching about 400 innings. A December 14th report that Castro signed with the Blue Jays proved to be inaccurate. The Padres were another club known to be interested in Castro.

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
In my effort to learn more about the baseball team on the South Side of town, why wouldn't they keep Tyler Flowers up here with the big club? Wouldn't he benefit more to observe AJ, get spot starts, pinch hit etc at this point in his career?

Castro is terrible and it would seem to me that having Flowers up would help the team more both this year and in the future

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I would think that they would at least keep Flowers around during Spring Training. We'll see how that goes.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Castro was horrendous at the plate last year. He might as well walk up there without a bat and hope he gets walked.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:44 pm 

KW cannot seem to ever find a starting CF or backup catcher.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
I thought you meant he was going to Alcoholics Anonymous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Castro was horrendous at the plate last year. He might as well walk up there without a bat and hope he gets walked.

Frank, when the White Sox made the deal with the Mets for Ramon Castro last season, the book was Castro was actually a good hitting catcher and had a good glove behind the plate. Some book that was! In very limited at-bats, Castro did very little, but he was the catcher that caught Mark Buehrle's perfect game last July vs. the Rays. :wink:

As for Tyler Flowers, from the very, very little he played, it doesn't appear as if he's Major League ready...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Castro is still decent as a backup, plus this way Flowers can spend another year developing and possibly platooning with AJ in 2011

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:59 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Castro is still decent as a backup, plus this way Flowers can spend another year developing and possibly platooning with AJ in 2011

The White Sox insist that Tyler Flowers is still the catcher of the future, SJ. I haven't seen enough to know that he's good to go...Ozzie kept playing the veterans until the last week of the regular season when they were officially eliminated from a race they weren't about to win...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: home run inn
i taught it would of been good for flowers to dh a few times a week and then back up aj 1-2 days a week this year before aj can walk next year....

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:33 pm 

Besides the team's awful defense last season, another White Sox bug-a-boo in '09 was the lack of throwing out runners trying to steal bases...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Isn't Flowers 24 years old ? If so, at what point is he no longer a prospect since most guys who can play are usually in the majors and producing by the time? Assuming, Flowers is in the minors for the majority of this upcoming season, he may be given the starting job in 2011 if A.J. leaves via free agency, but Flowers would be a 25 year "prospect' with little major league experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:58 pm 

Catchers and pitchers take longer to develop. He could probably hit in MLB right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:37 pm 

Northside_Dan wrote:
In my effort to learn more about the baseball team on the South Side of town, why wouldn't they keep Tyler Flowers up here with the big club? Wouldn't he benefit more to observe AJ, get spot starts, pinch hit etc at this point in his career?

Castro is terrible and it would seem to me that having Flowers up would help the team more both this year and in the future

He can use some more seasoning and starting him at AAA will keep his free-agent clock from starting. I'm fine with Castro being the backup for half a season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:06 pm 

When the White Sox traded Lance Broadway to the Mets to get Ramon Castro last season, he was supposed to make fans forget the name Corky Miller for starters. Moreover, Castro was supposed to give Anthony John Pierzynski more rest upon his acquisition behing the plate. That didn't quite materialize...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
If I remember correctly, Flowers had either a shoulder or a knee a couple of years ago, and that would also push his development back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 am 

He turns 24 this month. He's developing fine and should be an everyday catcher at age 25.