It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: home run inn
From mlb trade rumers.com

Twins, White Sox Interested In Jim Thome
By Zach Links [January 23 at 10:44am CST]
10:44pm: Cowley tweets a quote from Guillen on Thome, who said "we have to make a decision on him before I leave for Miami." That's tomorrow, according to Cowley.

SATURDAY, 9:36am: White Sox GM Kenny Williams said that Thome isn't a fit on the 2010 team "unless Ozzie (Guillen) says," tweets team vice president Scott Reifert.

FRIDAY, 9:02pm: A White Sox source tells Joe Cowley of The Chicago Sun-Times that the chances of Thome re-signing with the Sox is "50-50 now, which couldn't be said [Thursday]." The source added that Chicago tops the list of teams Thome wants to play for, however he does have some interest in Minnesota.

3:03pm: The Twins have interest in free agent slugger Jim Thome, according to Joe Christensen of the Star Tribune. Christensen writes that the Twins are bargain hunting and if Thome is willing to come at the right price, there could be a match. A Twins official confirmed the club's interest, which was first reported by a Chicago radio station.

Even though the team already has a lefty DH in Jason Kubel, the 39-year-old would boost a lackluster Minnesota bench. Thome hit .249/.372/.493 with 23 HRs for the Soxs

I'd rather see kenny go after hank blalock as he can help out at third and first and gives you the left handed pop you still need, but i feel they will sign him.

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

Last edited by kujoe_7 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
blalock was alot better in his "enhanced" days

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:55 pm 

From mlbtrade rumers.com

---Buster Olney doesn't think it makes sense for the White Sox to give Jim Thome a roster spot

---SUNDAY, 10:36am: Guillen told fans that the club has yet to make a decision on Thome, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune. Of all the options out there, Guillen likes Thome best, tweets MLB.com's Scott Merkin.

Nice Guys Finish Last

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:57 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
blalock was alot better in his "enhanced" days

and Jim wasn't, he was Manny's bud in clevland after all :wink:

Nice Guys Finish Last

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:53 am 

White Sox split on Thome returnViews 309 Comments 6 06:13 AM ET 01.25 Share Print It My T&R White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen hinted Sunday his next conversation with free agent slugger Jim Thome might not be as pleasant as past chats. "Maybe what I have in my mind isn't convenient for him," Guillen said of his preference not to have a full-time designated hitter in 2010. Guillen said the front office and his staff are split on whether they want Thome to return. Even if Thome accepts a reduced role, there's no guarantee he will return to the Sox

Nice Guys Finish Last

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Another public relations foul up for this team and their amateur Reinsdorfian management, though minor.
Why have this debate public during Soxfarce?

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 am 

kujoe_7 wrote:
From mlb trade rumers.com

Two requests.

1) Find a browser with a spell check function.
2) Learn to edit your posts.
kujoe_7 wrote:
White Sox split on Thome returnViews 309 Comments 6 06:13 AM ET 01.25 Share Print It My T&R White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen hinted Sunday his next conversation with free agent slugger Jim Thome might not be as pleasant as past chats.

The two things above make it nearly impossible to read your posts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:05 am 

Even though it will cause a roster crunch I want Thome back. The batting order looks a lot better him in the 4-hole.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Part of me doesn't like the idea of Jim Thome swinging for the fences at the Twins' new Target Field, which supposedly has a very, very short porch in right field. The other part of me says that Thome's best days are in the scrapbook, and with that in mind, I don't think Jim fits the National League-style of baseball that Ozzie wants the 2010 White Sox to play. I won't lose any sleep if Thome is told to play elsewhere...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:44 pm 

SHARK wrote:
I won't lose any sleep if Thome is told to play elsewhere...

If you lose sleep over the Sox for any reason, you are in trouble.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
If Thome wants to come back as a part time player for part time money, bring him in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:53 pm 

I would rather see Carlos Quentin and that bad foot of his as the White Sox new DH and see if Andruw Jones and/or Mark Kotsay can get the job done on a platoon basis in right field...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I know Ozzie wants to fill the roster with players in his own image. Fast guys who can draw a walk and steal a base. Guys who can hit and run. That's nice,but with Dye gone and Thome,that's about 50 HR's missing. DH's are usually sluggers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:26 pm 

Thome would be just fine batting DH against righties. Since he is going to come cheap he is a perfect platoon DH and would most likely get 350-400 AB. This idea that there wouldn't be enough at bats because of the scary talents of Jones and Kotsay is pure nonsense. Jim Thome is a better DH against RHP than either of them.

Kotsay was a throw in for Brian Anderson last year and now the Sox are considering giving him regular innings...ponderous.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:41 pm 

I don't think taking AB's away from Kotsay and Jones is the issue. The issue is if they keep Thome they will have to carry 11 pitchers (Ozzie has always carried 12) or have only 1 backup infielder (Vizquel) because Thome would take Nix's roster spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:47 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I would think between Rios, Jones, and Kotsay that the DH by comittee should work. Those guys should also strike out far less and while Kotsay and Rios aren't barnburnders, they can score from 2nd on a basehit. The only way Thome scores from 1st or 2nd is on a home run.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
As Bernstein says,those 3 are just "guys". Thome batting 6th puts fear into opposing pitchers.
I'm a Cub's fan,but seeing Thome at the plate in a game situation against my team is a lot more fearful than the 3 mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I would think between Rios, Jones, and Kotsay that the DH by comittee should work. Those guys should also strike out far less and while Kotsay and Rios aren't barnburnders, they can score from 2nd on a basehit. The only way Thome scores from 1st or 2nd is on a home run.

:lol:

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I have to believe it would be Quentin as the 3rd guy in the platoon over Rios-Rios is far better defensively, and he doesn't have a bad foot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:08 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
I don't think taking AB's away from Kotsay and Jones is the issue. The issue is if they keep Thome they will have to carry 11 pitchers (Ozzie has always carried 12) or have only 1 backup infielder (Vizquel) because Thome would take Nix's roster spot.

So now we are back to the days about worrying about the roster spots of fringe players? I'm starting to get that same feeling I had when Ozzie chose Dewayne Wise to play CF and lead off last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
good dolphin wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

So now we are back to the days about worrying about the roster spots of fringe players? I'm starting to get that same feeling I had when Ozzie chose Dewayne Wise to play CF and lead off last year.

If it wasn't for Wise there would be no perfect game. :twisted:

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Nick&Vito's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I have to believe it would be Quentin as the 3rd guy in the platoon over Rios-Rios is far better defensively, and he doesn't have a bad foot.

Nope just a bad work ethic......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:45 pm 

White Sox Out On Thome
By Howard Megdal [January 25 at 7:35pm CST]
7:35pm: Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune is up with a story on Thome not returning. According to Guillen, the at-bats for Thome simply weren't there.

7:01pm: Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times tweets that a source with the Twins told him Jim Thome's agent spoke with Minnesota this afternoon, meaning that "it's official - Jim ain't coming back." He added that manager Ozzie Guillen has confirmed this as well.

Cowley adds that Tampa Bay and Detroit are also in the running for Thome's services, but the Twins appear to be the frontrunner.

Thome would serve primarily as a pinch-hitter for Minnesota, though he could spell Jason Kubel occasionally at DH.

Nice Guys Finish Last

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:12 pm 

Charley Walters and Kelsie Smith of the St. Paul Pioneer Press are reporting that the Twins and Jim Thome have agreed to a one-year contract. LaVelle Neal of the Star Tribune says the deal is worth $1.5M, with an additional $700K available to be earned in incentives.

Damn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:14 pm 

I can't say I'm surprised that Jim Thome will be swinging for the fences at the new Target Field in Minneapolis, but Jim might not be getting that many at-bats for the rival Twins either.