It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:28 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Marinos-EGV
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2459060

NEW YORK -- Chicago Cubs catcher Michael Barrett was suspended for 10 games and White Sox outfielder Brian Anderson five games for a bench-clearing brawl that led to four ejections.
Michael Barrett, left, and A.J Pierzynski
AP Photo/Jeff Roberson
Barrett's punch of Pierzynski after a collision at home plate earned him 10 games on the bench.

Barrett, who punched White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski to ignite the melee, and Anderson also were fined an undisclosed amount by Major League Baseball on Friday.

White Sox third base coach Joey Cora was suspended two games and fined, while Pierzynski was fined for the incident during the interleague game on Saturday.

In the second inning, Pierzynski knocked Barrett over at home plate before the throw arrived and slapped the plate after the collision as the ball got away. Barrett then punched Pierzynski.

Anderson, who hit a bases-loaded sacrifice fly to score Pierzynski, got into a fight with Cubs first baseman John Mabry. Mabry injured his ribs in the commotion and was taken to a hospital for X-rays.

Barrett, Pierzynski, Anderson and Mabry were ejected.

The game was delayed nearly 15 minutes before Tadahito Iguchi hit a grand slam to give the White Sox a 5-0 lead en route to a 7-0 win.

All three suspensions are scheduled to begin Friday, when the White Sox are at Toronto and the Cubs host Atlanta, unless appealed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:53 am 
1000 CLUB

that seems about right. We won't be hurt at all by this. Anderson has been riding the bench recently anyway. Plus he's batting .190. Cora could use the two days to sharpen his teeth for the next Cubs Sox series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:59 am 
1000 CLUB

If A.J gets fined for getting punched, then shouldn't Mabry be fined as well?

Let's do it for Johnny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:09 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Marinos-EGV
Dallas Winston wrote:
If A.J gets fined for getting punched, then shouldn't Mabry be fined as well?

Yes, he should. There is no way in hell AJ should have gotten a thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:19 am 
1000 CLUB

I would assume the fine was for inciting (Hand raising, face slapping) the crowd after the umps were trying to restore order. I realize AJ had an adrenaline rush, but this game was played at the Cell. You, me, the City of Chicago, MLB, & Bug Selig don't need anyone else running onto field attacking an ump or coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:27 am 
1000 CLUB

Actually its an automatic fine if somebody is thrown out of a game. I realize that A.J shouldn't have been thrown out in the first place. But that games over and we won. I could care less about what A.J has to pay. As long as he doesn't miss any more games that would jepordize this 110 win season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:46 am 

I think Barrett got off nicely with only 10 games...what he did was crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Baker said he was "kind of" surprised that Pierzynski wasn't suspended.

"Like I've said, whenever there's a cause, there's an effect," he said. "I guess the effect was Michael."

Sorry, Dusty, I don’t think so. Michael was the cause, the bench clearing brawl was the effect…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
The fact that AJ was thrown out in the first place is ridiculous, especially for the reason given by the umpires (to merely remove the possibility of any retaliation by the Cubs' pitchers and to settle the crowd)... but to then FINE the man because of said ejection is completely insane. If they were just doing it as a cautionary messure, then the league should have either a) waived the automatic fine or b) reimburse the player.

Yes, I know these guys make a ton of money already, but doesn't MLB think that fining AJ is basically contradicting their initial goal of "settling everyone down" by throwing him out in the first place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Good point. But like I said I don't give a shit. Plus all of this crap, while negative, will garner some endorsement money for A.J. Especially locally. He's become a folk hero of sorts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ugueth Will Cut You wrote:

Quote:
If they were just doing it as a cautionary messure, then the league should have either a) waived the automatic fine or b) reimburse the player.

In an artilcle the WSJ last year (November?) showed how all sports fines are just for show. After the player's union and arbitrators get done with appeals the athlete usally pays about 5% of the fine, and at most 30% of the fine. Guys like Randy Moss and T.O. generally pay pennies on the dollar to their massive fines so it doesn't alter their behavior. The summation was that the league knows they will lose most cases and they only use fines as a marketing tool to demonstrate their authority. As an example they showed some Nascar driver (don't follow, couldn't tell you who it was) who racked up around 200k of fines and paid less than 10k. So I'm sure AJ isn't worried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:02 pm 

I'm not sure why Barrett got 10 games for throwing one punch. I've seen a lot of things that was worse than this incident that resulted in a slap on the wrist. Also, I'm not sure why Anderson got 5 games for hitting the air. If he would have landed one of those punches, Mabry might be out for the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Dynasty wrote:
I'm not sure why Barrett got 10 games for throwing one punch. I've seen a lot of things that was worse than this incident that resulted in a slap on the wrist. Also, I'm not sure why Anderson got 5 games for hitting the air. If he would have landed one of those punches, Mabry might be out for the year.

Anderson getting 5 games for hitting .190 against Mabry IS a little excessive, if not comical.

But 10 games for a complete sucker punch is really a fair suspension, and if nothing more than agreeing with your thoughts on the possibility of Mabry being out for the year. AJ is pretty damned fortunate for the angle in which the punch was landed, because who knows how many games he would have missed should that punch landed on a different portion of AJ's face.