It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015 Sox Prospects
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
Holy crap, I just looked through all the Sox minor league stats. couple hundred guys? not one of them is having a good year. total shitfest.

Another overly optimistic Sox fan speaks out! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
This is the absolute encapsulation of the difference between Cub fans and Sox fans: Cub fans get excited about Vogelbach and post GIFs of him. This sentence is probably the first and last time a Sox fan will ever mention Dan Black.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I mentioned him a few weeks ago in reference to Vogelbach. I think its nice that Charlotte fans have someone they can enjoy and get to know.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:20 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Holy crap, I just looked through all the Sox minor league stats. couple hundred guys? not one of them is having a good year. total shitfest.

Don't scout the stat line.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:31 pm 

The system has actually been alright so far. Lot of players are young for their levels and one guy (Danish) is killin it.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Danish has a 1.4 whip in AA. turrible.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:14 pm 

Also a 2.74 ERA with 37:9 K:BB as a 20 year old in AA. That's really good.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:24 pm 

Keyser said he was a POS.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:26 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Keyser doesn't trust that he'll stay healthy.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:31 pm 

so who else we got that will be up in two years or less?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:36 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Keyser did not say that. He thinks Danish will be a real good reliever. He doesn't think Danish will have the durability or stuff to be a consistent starter.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:37 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Carlos Sanchez, Frank Montas, Tyler Saladino, Jace Fry... those are the guys who are probably the closest.

Keenyn Walker, Tim Anderson, Spencer Adams, Courtney Hawkins, Cleuluis Rondon... those are some guys who I could see being up in the next 2 seasons. Maybe even Michalczewski. They just called up Carlos f'in Rodon so I dont know what you're expecting?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:40 pm 

One more fuck up by JB Suck and Jason Coats will be called up.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:44 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
One more fuck up by JB Suck and Jason Coats will be called up.

I could see it, I wonder if they'll move Boni to the 4OF and call up Sanchez though?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:49 pm 

They could but that would leave them short a backup right fielder.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:56 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
They could but that would leave them short a backup right fielder.

Shuck is so bad defensively I'm not sure it matters.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Hatchetman wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:56 am 

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:40 am 

Trey Michalczewski is doing very well for himself as a 20 year old in A+, I'm getting ready to put him ahead of Anderson if this keeps up.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Your guy had a little blurb in BP's minor league recaps:
Quote:
Saturday
Tim Anderson, 2B, White Sox (Birmingham, AA): 4-6, 4 R, 2 2B, K, 2 SB. This is called taking over a game. It’s difficult to do in baseball, but Anderson can impact the game in so many ways that he can be dominant on certain evenings with his bat, glove and legs. He’s doing this, amazingly enough, while walking just 1.2 percent of the time this year, and less than 1 percent of the time for his Double-A career. It’s an approach that will eventually catch up with him, but he continues to have success in spite of it, thanks to impressive athleticism and a premium skill set.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:56 am 

Anderson is fun to think about, but for now he's a very raw player abusing AA defenses.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:03 pm 

Sox figured out the inability to take a walk must be undervalued since those players are cheap.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:52 pm 

Tim Anderson went 3-4 today...

WITH A PAIR, A PAIR AS IN TWO, WALKS

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:34 am 

how shitty must that pitcher be? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:49 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:
Some Projection Left
Frankie Say Re...liever?

by Christopher Crawford

If there’s a pitching prospect who draws as many conflicting opinions as Luis Severino, it’s Frankie Montas. Acquired from the Red Sox in the deal that saw Jake Peavy head to Boston, Montas has made vast improvements in his time in the White Sox system, and several scouts I spoke with believed he was one of the most promising right-handed pitching prospects in baseball.

Other scouts however, were far less kind, and believed that Montas had too many red flags to be ranked highly, suggesting that the bullpen was the more likely landing spot for the 22 year-old from San Cristobal. To get an idea of why the opinions varied so much, I spoke with two scouts who had seen the right-hander on multiple occasions—one high on his future, one low—as to why they came to their respective conclusions.

Stuff

There’s no question that Montas has an elite fastball—one that has been clocked up to triple-digits—but the rest of the arsenal remains a question mark, as both his slider and change have received mixed reviews.

High scout: “Not to sound like a velocity whore, but when you throw as hard as he does with life on the pitch, the off-speed stuff doesn’t have to be elite for him to be an elite hurler. I’ve seen 60 grade sliders out of him with hard, late bite, and it’s certainly a good enough pitch to keep hitters off the heater. Right now, the change is a below-average pitch and that will have to get better if he’s going to pitch at the top of a rotation, but he’s still a kid. I think he has the stuff to be a very, very good starting pitcher.”

Low scout: “There’s a lot of work to be done. The slider is the best secondary [pitch], but at its best it’s a 55 and at its worst it’s a developmental pitch. I’ve only seen a handful of changeups, but there was no deception from arm speed and he looked uncomfortable throwing it. Can you start with 70-55-40? Sure, but your margin of error is very thin.”

Control/Command

HS: “I think what you have to keep in mind when looking at his command is just how far he’s come. When he first came over from [the Dominican Republic] he had no idea where the ball was going, as many teenagers without a lot of experience do. Now, I see a kid who still isn’t hitting his spots consistently, but there’s been a ton of improvement. All it needs to be is average for him to start, and I think he’ll get there.”

LS: “It’ll have to improve substantially if he’s going to start. He falls behind hitters constantly, and even when he’s in the strike zone it’s generally not where the pitch is intended. You can get away with that when you’re throwing hard at the lower levels, but against legitimate big-league hitters, you need to be able to hit your spots. I remain skeptical on whether or not he’ll be able to do that.

Mechanics

Both scouts agreed that Montas has made drastic improvements over the past five years with his delivery, but only one thought that those adjustments were enough. I’m guessing you guys can guess who felt that way.

HS: “It’s so much better than what it was even two years ago, much less five. There’s still some effort, but he repeats [the delivery] much more consistently, and he incorporates the lower half now, which will be big for him down the road, not just now. I’m not going to teach his delivery by any means, but it’ll work, and he’s still progressing.”

LS: “When I saw him in [Low-A] Kannapolis, I remember immediately thinking that’s the delivery of a reliever. There was so much effort there, and a ton of moving parts. When I saw him in the AFL I was impressed how much it has been toned down, but there’s still an awful lot of pressure on the arm. I would fast-track the arm in the bullpen, though I definitely understand why Chicago would give him a chance to start.”

Weight

I added a special category for Montas, as it’s the—no pun intended—elephant in the room when we’re talking about the young man’s future. Montas is listed at 185 pounds, but no one I’ve spoken with believes that’s his actual weight, and it was a concern for both scouts—though not a deal-breaker.

HS: “Weight is a tricky thing. You definitely don’t want to see a morbidly obese guy out there; for every David Wells or Bartolo Colon there are dozens of guys who ate their way out of baseball. I don’t think that’s what we’re seeing from Montas though, I think it’s a case of a guy that’s just sort of filling out his frame. That being said, it’s definitely something I’m keeping track of if I’m Chicago; it can lead to big-time durability issues.”

LS: “He looked fat when I saw him at the Arizona Fall League. Not chubby, fat. Baseball is a sport that can compensate for a lack of athleticism more than others, but you don’t want to see guys that are fat, there’s a ton of risk there. I’ve seen plenty of guys his age go through weight transformations though, people forget that Felix Hernandez was considered fat at one point, too. It’s just another thing to add to the list though, and that’s why I’m lower on Montas than most.

Ceiling/floor

High Scout: “A strikeout artist who can also give you 200 innings ceiling, and lights-out-closer floor.”

Low Scout: “At his best, I think Montas becomes a solid mid-rotation starter, or maybe a really nice set-up man. At his worst, he’s a swing man or long reliever.”

That’s a pretty big difference in ceiling and floor; easily the biggest I’ve seen in these differing opinion pieces. And while I’m higher on Montas than the low scout, it’s easy to understand why he has reservations. Yes, the arm strength is impressive and the slider is another potential out pitch, but the only thing that’s consistent for Montas is the fastball. The improvement he’s made over the past few years is impressive though, and assuming he’s not done developing, he has a chance to join a very talented White Sox rotation in the next two years.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:00 pm 

I think he's destined for the pen where he will be great.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:31 pm 

ChicagoSports retweeted
Fred B. Mitchell ‏@kicker34 9m9 minutes ago

The White Sox have traded LHP Eric Surkamp to the Dodgers in exchange for Class AA right-hander Blake Smith.

:shock:

:lol: :lol:

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:39 pm 

Why is this funny?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:43 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Why is this funny?

The idea that Fred Mitchell is reporting this likes it's some kind of important story is funny. It's a fucking minor league transaction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next