It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:33 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It is not "imperfect". It is made up.

So is the theory of evolution
Um, no.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Jeff Samardzija, who sucked last year, finished 39th amongst the 78 qualified starters in Fangraphs WAR for the 2015 season.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
That stat alone makes WAR a bunch of horseshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:53 pm 

312player wrote:

He will do well for the Giants next year and everyone will tout the "predictive capabilities of WAR" while ignoring the obvious.

The NL is basically AAAA compared to the AL. Jake Arrieta couldn't keep his ERA below 5 for the Orioles but he waltzes into the NL and !FREE STRIKEOUTS! and he's a Cy Young winner. It's that easy. If you're a bad major league player, particularly a pitcher, the NL is a godsend.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:04 pm 

The White Sox win a minimum of 80 games last year in the NL. Impossible to say otherwise. The only AL teams that have been tanking (the Astros and perhaps the Twins... maybe the A's but who knows what Beane is doing) won some games this year.

Meanwhile the Brewers, Reds (97 wins already doesn't sound so impressive), Phillies, Marlins, Diamondbacks, Rockies and Braves had completely given up. Sabean noticed this years ago and decided to go for it every year. He got three rings because he had the common sense to see that if only 5 or 6 teams in his league are actively competing his odds of NL pennants (and thus World Series opportunities) goes up dramatically. The Diamondbacks came to this same realization and are trying to strike while the rebuilding fad makes the NL about as difficult as the International League.

Renny have been trying this same tactic for years now in the AL, but because everyone tries to win the AL and ~1/3 of the games aren't against team actively trying to lose it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Whoa ..slow down buddy, Jake had his " mechanics" modified and his arm angle all fucked up in Baltimore.. Bosio just had him go back to " normal". He's got great stuff, he didn't put it together in Baltimore like Konerko didn't put it together in Cincy or L.A.

I do agree the A.L. is a better league with the DH..its a tougher lineup. The Sox aren't a good team in either league, they are bad..from manager to talent most teams in MLB have an advantage. I see the Sox winning 79-80 games this year, they may as well be tanking..they are trying to compete n suck , that's more embarrassing than playing prospects and scrubs .

Samardiza will suck in any uniform. Sure he will give up less long balls in that massive park in SF and Petco and L.A. but guys square up on his pitches and barrel up on the guppy, always have n will. Less homers = more doubles n triples ..his ERA won't be below 4... He blows.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
America wrote:
The White Sox win a minimum of 80 games last year in the NL. Impossible to say otherwise. The only AL teams that have been tanking (the Astros and perhaps the Twins... maybe the A's but who knows what Beane is doing) won some games this year.

Meanwhile the Brewers, Reds (97 wins already doesn't sound so impressive), Phillies, Marlins, Diamondbacks, Rockies and Braves had completely given up. Sabean noticed this years ago and decided to go for it every year. He got three rings because he had the common sense to see that if only 5 or 6 teams in his league are actively competing his odds of NL pennants (and thus World Series opportunities) goes up dramatically. The Diamondbacks came to this same realization and are trying to strike while the rebuilding fad makes the NL about as difficult as the International League.

Renny have been trying this same tactic for years now in the AL, but because everyone tries to win the AL and ~1/3 of the games aren't against team actively trying to lose it doesn't work.

Sox suck last year in NL also. Your argument is impossible to justify but dream on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
America wrote:
Jeff Samardzija, who sucked last year, finished 39th amongst the 78 qualified starters in Fangraphs WAR for the 2015 season.

But that's basically in the scrub range - he's right there with the likes of Wade Miley, Colby Lewis, Yordano Ventura, Garrett Richards, Jason Hammel, etc. It makes me sick to read all of those names.

But I have to admit that I am perplexed as to how this occurred:

Felix Hernandez: 2.8 WAR (31 starts)
Jeff Samardzija: 2.7 WAR (32 starts)

Felix is generally in the 6 range, but his FIP numbers indicate that his defense bailed him out a bit, and he had some hard times with the gopher ball. Still though, I don't get why he'd be ranked amongst the scrubs.

WAR is generally on the money, but you'll find some head-scratchers from time to time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
War was useless to me when it said Zobrist was better than Pujols in his prime.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Kirkwood wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
In all seriousness though Kirkwood, I believe the MLB record is actually 108 years and its not in all that serious of jeopardy.

I have no idea why you addressed me in stating this fantastic rarely known tidbit.

Easy. He's being objectionable for once.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Thin crust cheese extra cheese ....Pizza DOC
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:
America wrote:
Don't look at the runs he gave up! No! He's a pitcher, nobody cares if he gives up any runs. That's the last thing you should be looking at.

You got my nuanced manner of speak mixed up twice in this response.

Yes, raw ERA is one of the last things that you should be looking at because it's a bit too dependant on team defense. I didn't say that you should disregard it altogether.
Instead we should rely on a made up statistics like WAR?

FYI ERA was also a made up stat at one point.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:46 am 

America wrote:
Renny .

It's catching on. I created a thing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
THE INQUISITOR wrote:
Like back in 1908.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:20 am 

THE INQUISITOR wrote:
I don't mean "made up" like it didn't exist.

ERA is simply a formula based on the data that comes in. Assuming that errors are scored according to the rules, there is no human interaction at all. Every part of it is just math. I can't just go out and invent bERA right now because there is no variation. However, I could invent my own bWar with my own opinions on how the positions or types of players should be valued. I can then add in something that gives a high value to players who foul the ball off more. Then, as long as some others think I'm smart it suddenly becomes an answer.

Just like we saw in this thread, and many others. WAR is used as some sort of definitive statistic where someone throws it down and is like "Boom, Jake Arrieta was basically the same player because of WAR!".

That is why WAR is a made up statistic. There is no reason to believe it is right at all and there is no real way to prove that it is wrong. It's simply a way to sell magazines and subscriptions. I'd laugh at any GM who uses WAR as anything important in making actual decisions. If it was that important, there would be very few negative WAR players in MLB.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:59 am 

Nas wrote:

You could just look at oWAR and it would have been fine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:05 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Nas wrote:

This is the problem though. WAR gets cited all the time as some sort of answer when it fits their agenda. But then you have to ignore 50% of it when it just doesn't make sense at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:07 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Nas wrote:

This is the problem though. WAR gets cited all the time as some sort of answer when it fits their agenda. But then you have to ignore 50% of it when it just doesn't make sense at all.

I think most of the time when there is a big defensive component to the BR WAR, people know it and understand it.

The Fangraphs one is a little better.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:08 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Nas wrote:

Kind of like when somebody tries to discount half of a players home runs because they were "just enough" to clear the fence? Maybe we should factor in close plays at the plate, and if a runner beats a tag or a throw, he should only get half a run/RBI because it was "just enough" of a run.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
whiskey dick wrote:
But I have to admit that I am perplexed as to how this occurred:

Felix Hernandez: 2.8 WAR (31 starts)
Jeff Samardzija: 2.7 WAR (32 starts)

Maybe it should cause you to stop blindly accepting WAR as some kind of truth. Unless, of course, you want to make the argument that these guys were similar pitchers last season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:11 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I think most of the time when there is a big defensive component to the BR WAR, people know it and understand it.

That isn't how it is used though. It's normally cited just like someone's OPS or OPS+ which is simply a statistic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:13 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

That isn't how it is used though. It's normally cited just like someone's OPS or OPS+ which is simply a statistic.

Well that's misuse (widespread as it may be). Not the stat's fault.

The stat is a very good one but like everything else there is context

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:17 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

It is the stats fault. You just said that you have to ignore 50% of it and then it makes sense.

How can you even trust it as anything useful?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:19 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

It is the stats fault. You just said that you have to ignore 50% of it and then it makes sense.

I didnt say you have to ignore it. There are times when its obvious the defensive part is a little overvalued (particularly when a guy plays multiple positions like Zobrist or Lawrie) but for the most part it's fine.

Also the fangraphs version is fine. Dont have to ignore anything there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:19 am 
Site Admin

America wrote:
He will do well for the Giants next year and everyone will tout the "predictive capabilities of WAR" while ignoring the obvious.

He will have a losing record next year and everyone will ignore the predictive capabilities of his previous losing records and say he once again suffered from "a lack of run support".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:21 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:

He will have a losing record next year and everyone will ignore the predictive capabilities of his previous losing records and say he once again suffered from "a lack of run support".

But if he does have a winning record, you wont take that as a shot at W-L%, you'll say he just had a good year.

It goes both ways.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:24 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I didnt say you have to ignore it. There are times when its obvious the defensive part is a little overvalued (particularly when a guy plays multiple positions like Zobrist or Lawrie) but for the most part it's fine.

Also the fangraphs version is fine. Dont have to ignore anything there.
There is another thing. You have two version of the same "stat". If they can't even agree then why should anyone take it seriously?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:25 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:

But if he does have a winning record, you wont take that as a shot at W-L%, you'll say he just had a good year.

It goes both ways.

I don't think he will have a winning record though. And if he does it will be a weak one, like 13-12. Because he's no fucking good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:26 am 

America wrote:
312player wrote:

The NL is basically AAAA compared to the AL. Jake Arrieta couldn't keep his ERA below 5 for the Orioles but he waltzes into the NL and !FREE STRIKEOUTS! and he's a Cy Young winner. It's that easy. If you're a bad major league player, particularly a pitcher, the NL is a godsend.

Jake vs the AL
2014 2-0 2.16 ERA
2015 4-1 2.95 ERA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
WAR - WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:

It goes both ways.

I don't think he will have a winning record though. And if he does it will be a weak one, like 13-12. Because he's no fucking good.

:lol: I dont either (although the Giants are starting to have their own version of Cardinal magic so who knows)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next