It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I don't think so. He's going to be good. And that Hawk doing road games is a little weird. But Hawk is a little weird so it fits.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
jimmypasta wrote:
I think it's weird that an old guy like Hawk want's to do the road games. You would think he would not want to travel. I think he just hates Chicago.

Well yeah, he lives in Granger Indiana which is 100 miles away from Cellular. It's more travel than a road game for him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
KDdidit wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
I think it's weird that an old guy like Hawk want's to do the road games. You would think he would not want to travel. I think he just hates Chicago.

Well yeah, he lives in Granger Indiana which is 100 miles away from Cellular. It's more travel than a road game for him.

I didn't know that. Totally understandable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
To be serious,I think he did a fine job. Great find (maybe) by the Sox.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:08 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Why the hell does Hawk live all the way out in South Bend?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Curious Hair wrote:
Why the hell does Hawk live all the way out in South Bend?

I think one of his kids lives out there, so he wants to be around his grandchildren. Poor things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:57 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
To be serious,I think he did a fine job. Great find (maybe) by the Sox.

He really sounded like a slightly muted Len Kasper. I have no interest in flavorless guys like Kasper. I won't pass judgement yet, but I'm not enthused.

Stone was really irritating with his continual jokes about collecting the money for the pork sandwiches the new guy was eating. We get it, someone doesn't pick up a check, someone has short arms. Oh and the occasional references to WAR & analytics...Hawk (& his fans must have been amused).

Again, no lasting judgement yet, but a bad start imo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Stone did this all the time with Harry. Harry always picked up every tab according to Steve. Just a running joke. Hawk would not remember or would say Yaz was better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
sort of bland

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:16 pm 

Scooter wrote:
Stone did this all the time with Harry. Harry always picked up every tab according to Steve. Just a running joke. Hawk would not remember or would say Yaz was better.

Yeah, Stone has always made cracks about people never picking up the check. Well maybe not with Hawk because he's a jerkwad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I thought he sounded fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:25 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
He really sounded like a slightly muted Len Kasper. I have no interest in flavorless guys like Kasper. I won't pass judgement yet, but I'm not enthused.
You'd rather have a meatball ex-player like Hawk or the Royals' Rex Hudler?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:50 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
You'd rather have a meatball ex-player like Hawk or the Royals' Rex Hudler?

While I like Hawk, I know that his time is passing. I really don't want to hear a stats guy focused broadcast, nor do I want to hear a replay of an early 90's Cubbie broadcast. I don't want a good time Charlie/salad tosser like Kasper. I'm willing to give him a chance to grow into the job, prove that he actually has a feel for the game that shapes his broadcast.

I hope the kid does well, but if he doesn't have it after a reasonable time (2 seasons), I'll want him, Stone & Farmer gone. DJ would be on borrowed time, but that's only in recognition that he has had incredibly difficult partners in this changing market and that I really liked him on the limited national Fox broadcasts I've heard.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:55 pm 

He's fine but Hawk is preferable

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:58 am 

pizza_Place: Burt's Place
I thought the new guy was fairly smooth and generally pleasent. I expect him to get better as the season goes on. I enjoyed him for the most part. Hawk is Hawk, and for all of his faults and with being an easy target to poke fun at, he still brings something to the game. Sox fans and some Cubs fans like myself will miss him when he is gone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:41 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
It's Stone's broadcast now. I'm not the world's biggest Hawk fan, but I'd much rather listen to him than Smarmy Steve Stone. Every time I hear Stone I feel as if I'm back in college getting a lecture from some know-it-all professor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Missed the Bus when Dave Wills left for tampa. The guy was the right blend of professional broadcaster and fan-boy meatball. I never met him in person and wouldn't be surprised if he was a jerk, but I think Wills was a good broadcaster. I wished then and I still wish now he was doing White Sox PBP.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's Stone's broadcast now. I'm not the world's biggest Hawk fan, but I'd much rather listen to him than Smarmy Steve Stone. Every time I hear Stone I feel as if I'm back in college getting a lecture from some know-it-all professor.

:lol: He's no Jim Deshaies!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:38 am 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Missed the Bus when Dave Wills left for tampa. The guy was the right blend of professional broadcaster and fan-boy meatball. I never met him in person and wouldn't be surprised if he was a jerk, but I think Wills was a good broadcaster. I wished then and I still wish now he was doing White Sox PBP.

I would think if the Sox offered the full time job, he would take it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Did David Wills even get an interview with the Sox for the TV home games this year? If he didn't that's pretty telling that the Sox do not like him for some reason. Cuz he had to have asked for an interview.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Beardown wrote:
Did David Wills even get an interview with the Sox for the TV home games this year? If he didn't that's pretty telling that the Sox do not like him for some reason. Cuz he had to have asked for an interview.

I'm sure he makes more in Tampa than JR would pay him to be part-time here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

This Jason Benetti has a great gig this year. Think about it. Week of working and then a week off for pretty much the entire season. No travel, gets to stay in Chicago all year. That's pretty cool. I'm guessing he's getting at least 100k to do the 81 games. Not bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:12 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I'm sure he makes more in Tampa than JR would pay him to be part-time here.

I leave work at 6pm most nights, and during baseball season I catch 45 minutes of an east coast night game on XM in the car. The Rays and Orioles broadcasts are my first choice if they are at home. Dave Wills is great in just the way wdelaney72 says - meatball professional - and should have never been allowed by JR to leave Chicago in the first place. That being said... he's established roots in Tampa and just doing part-time TV work isn't going to cut it to get him back. If he came back, Hawk would have had to go.

I don't know if his style would really translate to TV, though, or to having to deal with Steve Stone. He might be better suited as a radio guy, and JR seems enamored with Farmio for some insane reason.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

But it's only gonna be "just the home games" for another year or so. Hawk is close to completely quitting.

And TV money in a market like Chicago for half the games is more than radio money in the Tampa market for 162. I guarantee you that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:27 pm 

Beardown wrote:
But it's only gonna be "just the home games" for another year or so. Hawk is close to completely quitting.

And TV money in a market like Chicago for half the games is more than radio money in the Tampa market for 162. I guarantee you that.

True. But Wills is also under some sort of contract, so it's not like he can just leave whenever. For all we know, this two year setup is to sync with when Wills would be available, and Benetti can move to the radio side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

Pretty sure all of these baseball broadcasters have "outs" if offered more money and/or bigger markets.

Kasper was under contract with the Marlins when he left for the Cubs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:40 pm 

Mac used to imply that ESPN was unhappy with Wills anti-Cub stuff.

I guess part of making these guys completely vanilla is having hate for the crosstown rival.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:43 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Mac used to imply that ESPN was unhappy with Wills anti-Cub stuff.

I guess part of making these guys completely vanilla is having hate for the crosstown rival.

I'm not sure it was the anti Cubs stuff as much as a sober view of the Sox. He was no Ranger in evaluating his own team.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think the Sox got sick of Chris Rongey as well. Cuz towards the end of the season Rongey said he wasn't sure if he'd be back. Said it like he wanted to go to 890 but just wasn't sure if the Sox wanted him.

The Sox do a lot of surveys with their season ticket holders. I'll bet one of them had a low approval rating for Rongey for being a dick to the callers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Could also be that Wills is settled and happy in Tampa.
I guess we'll never know.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next