It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Liberal Lion wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Superstar players tend to get traded where they want to go the last 5-10 years correct?

Why don’t they want to get traded to the Bulls?

When Rose was here my main man Melo wanted to make the move here but He took the money and ran back to New York. Gasol signed here for less money than he could have made elsewhere. This while still playing at an elite level.

The Bulls trajectory changed once Rose blew out his knees. A Healthy MVP caliber Rose attracts players. Once he became injured you weren't going to get the Durants of the world to sign here.

Regardless of who signs here it all comes down to drafting. If they draft high caliber guys then they will attract better free agents.

Personally I think chasing Free Agents is a fool's mission. San Antonio has 5 rings and never signed a top tier free agent. Should have 6 save for a Ray Allen 3 point shot.

Of the 3 primary ways to acquire players free agency is 3rd on the list. Drafting is one followed by trading for the guy you want..
Creating Cap Space for the purpose of hoping that Lebron Walks through that makes little sense to me.

True true.

Only thing I’d say is Pau was still really good at 34 years old when he signed here, but I personally wouldn’t call him elite.

Would have been great to have an aging Pau with a 100% Drose tho.

It’s just this organization is run like a small market team.

Every 1st round draft pick after 2001, aside from Tyrus Thomas, has been blue collar and safe.

Garpax got fucked by Eddy’s heart and Derrick’s knees, but I just wish they would have been more aggressive and creative overall.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Spurs last won the title in 2014. The titles won the two years prior in 2013 and 2014 were won by the Miami Heat. A team constructed by free agents.

In 2016 Cleveland won. The best player on the team was acquired by free agency. In 2017 and 2018 the Golden State Warriors won. Their best player was acquired by free agency. In 2019 Toronto won after acquiring their best player in a trade because he threatened to go to LA in free agency. He left the next season even after winning.

The 2020 Lakers won the title because they signed their best player via free agency, and their second best because he forced a trade by threatening to leave. You can draft and develop all you want. But you have to be a market place that people want to be in. If a twilight of his career Pau Gasol is the best we have to show for 20 year of chasing free agents it doesn't bode well. If they are doing this almost exclusively through the draft I would say if they make the conference finals in five years that would be an accomplishment. I don't have a lot of faith that the Bulls will be contenders anytime soon is all.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:23 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
San Francisco is also now Silicon Valley. It’s a spot now.

To computer geeks sure but to NBA players? Come on. :lol:

Edit: I just reviewed their recent FA signings and you have Cousins on a 1 year deal after his Achilles tear & KD chasing a championship and they both bolted. Before that you get Nate Robinson and Corey Maggette. Sorry but no. GS is not a “spot”.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/235 ... ley-empire

San Francisco is close to powerful people. It's similar to why people are attracted to LA.

You posted a 2 year old article about a guy who chose to leave all those “powerful people” as soon as he got the chance. He went to GS to win a championship plain and simple. He accomplished that and then immediately chose to leave. Even if you want to believe he picked the team because of its proximity to Silicon Valley (again no but I’ll play along), do you think there are other superstars with that mindset? If so, where are they?

This was to refute the idea that San Francisco and Silicon Valley are only an attractive market to "computer nerds". It's a place people want to live.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
The Spurs last won the title in 2014. The titles won the two years prior in 2013 and 2014 were won by the Miami Heat. A team constructed by free agents.

In 2016 Cleveland won. The best player on the team was acquired by free agency. In 2017 and 2018 the Golden State Warriors won. Their best player was acquired by free agency. In 2019 Toronto won after acquiring their best player in a trade because he threatened to go to LA in free agency. He left the next season even after winning.

The 2020 Lakers won the title because they signed their best player via free agency, and their second best because he forced a trade by threatening to leave. You can draft and develop all you want. But you have to be a market place that people want to be in. If a twilight of his career Pau Gasol is the best we have to show for 20 year of chasing free agents it doesn't bode well. If they are doing this almost exclusively through the draft I would say if they make the conference finals in five years that would be an accomplishment. I don't have a lot of faith that the Bulls will be contenders anytime soon is all.

Yeah I think you can do it both ways.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
In 2017 and 2018 the Golden State Warriors won. Their best player was acquired by free agency.

Steph was drafted by the Warriors

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
San Francisco is also now Silicon Valley. It’s a spot now.

To computer geeks sure but to NBA players? Come on. :lol:

Edit: I just reviewed their recent FA signings and you have Cousins on a 1 year deal after his Achilles tear & KD chasing a championship and they both bolted. Before that you get Nate Robinson and Corey Maggette. Sorry but no. GS is not a “spot”.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/235 ... ley-empire

San Francisco is close to powerful people. It's similar to why people are attracted to LA.

You posted a 2 year old article about a guy who chose to leave all those “powerful people” as soon as he got the chance. He went to GS to win a championship plain and simple. He accomplished that and then immediately chose to leave. Even if you want to believe he picked the team because of its proximity to Silicon Valley (again no but I’ll play along), do you think there are other superstars with that mindset? If so, where are they?

This was to refute the idea that San Francisco and Silicon Valley are only an attractive market to "computer nerds". It's a place people want to live.
”People” is not the same as NBA players. Again, if KD wanted to live there he would have stayed. And again, there isn’t a long list of FA going there because they couldn’t care less about Silicon Valley. Napa Valley would be a better argument.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Sanfratellos

San Antonio "last winning" in 2014 isn't relevant Its not like thats ancient history or something.

Kevin Durant signed with G.S. because of the 3 players whom they drafted, not signed as Free Agents

Lebron James signed with Cleveland in order to play with Kylie Irving and Kevin Love.

It still is an irrelevant point because it all leads back to "why can't we seem to sign Lebron James.

A healthy Derrick Rose (Whom Durant used to workout with during the summer by the way back then) and maybe Durant signs here rather than Golden State.

Golden State won 73 games and a championship with guys that they drafted. Thats why Durant signed there in the first place.

There have only been 2 major free agent signings (James and Durant) which led to championships during the past 20 years. And Durant's is questionable because G.S. was favored with or without him.

In each instance the teams that they signed with already had superstar players in place. Thats what attracts Superstar free agents.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:06 pm 

What superstar player attracted LeBron to LA last time? Even the Spurs example doesn’t work for the Bulls . They lucked into a generational player because they tanked while there own MVP was injured. I don’t see the Bulls tanking now, and I don’t see them getting a top free agent. How are they going to get two top ten players then? That’s why I am not excited about their future right now

The Missing Link wrote:

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:33 am 

Kings aren’t shit cuz my boy 312player was comically wrong on Fox but that’s a brutal stretch. Baptism by fire. Let’s see what these kids got.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
FavreFan wrote:

Kings aren’t shit cuz my boy 312player was comically wrong on Fox but that’s a brutal stretch. Baptism by fire. Let’s see what these kids got.

I hunk they beat the Bucks and Kings. The only reason they beat the Bucks is that the Bucks won’t take them seriously and they will sneak out a win. The Kings are scary because they just resigned Marvin Bagley, wait lol no they aren’t scary.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:18 am 

What superstar player attracted LeBron to LA last time? Even the Spurs example doesn’t work for the Bulls . They lucked into a generational player because they tanked while there own MVP was injured. I don’t see the Bulls tanking now, and I don’t see them getting a top free agent. How are they going to get two top ten players then? That’s why I am not excited about their future right now

The Spurs didn't "luck" into Tim Duncan. They drafted him. And anyway luck isn't relevant in this. He was acquired through the draft. Not Free Agency which is my point.
Lebron James doesn't sign with Miami without Wade being in place. A player they drafted. Durant doesn't sign with G.S. without drafted players being there first.

The only real example of free agency working is Lebron James. With the Lakers. That's it and even that ring is tainted.

Last edited by Liberal Lion on Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:28 am 

The Bulls don’t have an NBA caliber point guard on their roster. That will be the worst problem that they have imo.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:41 am 

The draft is a lottery. It’s literally about luck. And saying LeBron wouldn’t go there without Wade is meaningless. Wade was also a free agent that year. Even if the Bulls get a star it feels more likely he will want to go elsewhere than be able to recruit guys to come here.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:50 am 

The draft is a lottery. It’s literally about luck. And saying LeBron wouldn’t go there without Wade is meaningless. Wade was also a free agent that year. Even if the Bulls get a star it feels more likely he will want to go elsewhere than be able to recruit guys to come here.

So what? If it weren't the Spurs then he would have landed somewhere else and there is likelihood that they win it.

It still doesn't mean that their team wasn't built through the draft.

G.S. was built through the draft. I'm not the biggest fan of G.S. but they were favored to win without Durant. They proved that could win without Durant with players that they drafted.

Wade a free agent? He was drafted by Miami. He won a title without Lebron also a drafted player.

Carmelo Anthony was a superstar player and had no problem signing with the Bulls. He chose money instead. Most guys do.

Whenever the Bulls get good again it will because they drafted well. That's why AK being a draft first guy is so important. When you draft well you don't have to depend on hail Mary free agent signings.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:06 am 

Carmelo had no problem coming here... except he didn't. Not exactly an endorsement of this market as a destination. Even with a loaded roster the Bulls could not get a star. And when they had max slots the struck out. Even with Rose on the roster the best they got was Boozer.

Going back to the big three in Miami the best player on the championship team arrived there via free agency more often than not.

The other problem with the Bulls is that they have years of high draft picks with little to show for it. Do they even have an all-star? Or someone who will be the 2nd or 3rd best player on a title team? They would be better served getting another high draft pick this year, but in hiring Donovan they are going for improvement. How are you going to get a star here? Unless you get lucky and win the first pick via the lottery in a year with a truly great player in the draft I don't see the Bulls becoming contenders. Rising to the top of the NBA might be the most difficult of all sports. You have to get a top three guy on your roster and have another top 10 type guy. It's going to be a long wait, and the future doesn't look inspiring unless someone on the roster becomes something they haven't shown before.

The Missing Link wrote:

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:15 am 

The other problem with the Bulls is that they years of high draft picks with little to show for it. Do they even have an all-star? Or someone who will be the 2nd or 3rd best player on a title team? They would be better served getting another high draft pick this year, but in hiring Donovan they are going for improvement. How are you going to get a star here? Unless you get lucky and win the first pick via the lottery in a year with a truly great player in the draft I don't see the Bulls becoming contenders. Rising to the top of the NBA might be the most difficult of all sports. You have to get a top three guy on your roster and have another top 10 type guy. It's going to be a long wait, and the future doesn't look inspiring unless someone on the roster becomes something they haven't shown before.

Do you have any example of Free Agency working besides Lebron?

As far as the Bulls go I agree with you but they have new management and all I can do as a fan is hope that they do a helluva lot better than what the last team did.

I disagree about the "high draft pick" stuff. 7 picks aren't particularly high. They would have had high draft picks had they decided to tank for a few years. They (GarPax) screwed up the Doncic draft big time by not tanking. Had they drafted him they are a top 4 team in the East currently
As far as all stars go Lavine is close and I think Williams is a stud. They have some building block guys so hopefully with the change will come marked improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:24 am 

Durant worked out ok. And if healthy he and Kyrie will be good in Brooklyn, which in in New York btw.

It's just depressing to still be in a situation where it's best for the Bulls to lose still. It feels like it's been that way for 10 years now. They don't have a point guard, their best players are borderline all-stars at best so far, and the new draft pick will take a few years to develop. The team was an unwatchable embarrassment last year. Going to mediocrity isn't inspiring.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:57 am 

Durant worked out ok. And if healthy he and Kyrie will be good in Brooklyn, which in in New York btw.

It's just depressing to still be in a situation where it's best for the Bulls to lose still. It feels like it's been that way for 10 years now. They don't have a point guard, their best players are borderline all-stars at best so far, and the new draft pick will take a few years to develop. The team was an unwatchable embarrassment last year. Going to mediocrity isn't inspiring.

Who said Brooklyn wasn't in NY? Durant didn't make G.S a championship team though. They already were.

You religiously watch the Bears each and every year. You're used to unwatchable embarrassment. You're also a White Sox fan and up until last year they have sucked a lot worse than the Bulls over the past 10 years. Unwatchable embarrassment isn't really much of a benchmark with that being the case.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:19 pm 

The White Sox had a clear plan which seems to be working. I don't see a path for the Bulls to be contenders in the near future.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:06 pm 

The White Sox had a clear plan which seems to be working. I don't see a path for the Bulls to be contenders in the near future.

They hired a legit coach and just drafted the most talented kid in the draft. They also will have a ton of cap space following this year and they have a GM whose "plan" is to build through the draft. Just like the team for whom he previously worked.

All of that suggests that they have a plan. The Bulls also have current talent on the team. They are much better than their record and just about everyone knows it.

They will be legit contenders in about 2 years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:51 pm 

Liberal Lion wrote:

They hired a legit coach and just drafted the most talented kid in the draft. They also will have a ton of cap space following this year and they have a GM whose "plan" is to build through the draft. Just like the team for whom he previously worked.

All of that suggests that they have a plan. The Bulls also have current talent on the team. They are much better than their record and just about everyone knows it.

They will be legit contenders in about 2 years.

Define legit contenders? I doubt they will be competing for a title within two years. With both the Bulls and the Bears I don't see a serious playoff run in the next five years.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Liberal Lion wrote:
just drafted the most talented kid in the draft.

He's 19. Slow your roll. Pippen, awful his rookie year and just decent his 2nd. I can completely buy in to your scouting report and still think he won't contribute much for 2 years. In the meantime, you have Lavine(I'm not impressed), Markkanen(soft) Carter(dime a dozen), and Coby White(who knows?)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:04 pm 

The idea would be to do a Nets type thing. Make the playoffs and be competitive with a good young core and competent FO/coaching staff while clearing cap room for two max guys.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:24 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

The idea would be to do a Nets type thing. Make the playoffs and be competitive with a good young core and competent FO/coaching staff while clearing cap room for two max guys.

I hope it works. It's been nothing but heartbreak, failure and stupidity ever since Rose went down in the playoffs.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Yep. They will have cap space after this year. They are going to have to make a decision on Kobe White and Lavine. You can't play them together imo though that's the plan. I prefer Lavine and I know you like Kobe.

I also think they will have to move Wendell Carter too. Undersized 5 routine isn't cutting it. Its one of the main reasons that he is always in foul trouble.

Markannen I'm not ready to give up just yet. If he plays this year as he played last season then he can kick bricks too.

Most glaring holes on their team are PG and Center.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:10 pm 

I like Wendell but I agree he’s more of a PF. I want to see what Donovan can do with him though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:55 pm 

pdubs looking crisp for 19 years old

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 pm 

Yeah, but team looking like...oof. But it's early.

I hope.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:06 pm 

nobody is trying. its scrimmage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:16 pm 

i am happy to see donavan. he looks like a real coach. i hope that visual doesnt wear off too soon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next