It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Patrick Williams
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Zippy, you honestly think Deng is overrated? That's what it sounds like here. Forget words like "great". You said he's top 25 historically in Chicago. Just from the past 30 years I think that's way off. Minimum 5 years in Chicago:

Jordan
Pippen
Rose
Butler
Grant?
Noah or Deng

You are clearly young so I’ll allow for the fact that your basis is limited. You picked the criteria in a way that changes my statement. I go back to the early 70s so top 25 includes Love, Walker, Sloan, Norm, Artis and Theus. Some would include Boerwinkle although I wasn’t a big fan. Mickey Johnson was arguably better as a bull than Deng too.

Mickey Johnson? Come the fuck on.
Better scorer and rebounder. And I’m pretty certain you never saw him so why are you arguing?

Because I recognized the name and despite my age I know a lot about NBA history and realized you’re venturing into ridiculous territory now to try to make a point that isn’t a great one.

Mickey and Deng were pretty comparable. They were also comparable in being fan favorites.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
How are you guys turning drafting a no name backup from FSU into a debate on luol deng?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nardi wrote:
Mickey and Deng were pretty comparable. The were also comparable in being fan favorites.

Sure. If we're willing to pretend defense doesn't exist then Deng and Mickey are comparable, somewhat. The offensive stats, even in that scenario, still favor Deng. There isn't an objectively worthwhile argument that one can make that Mickey was better than Deng. You don't need to be an old fart to confidently say that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Back to Williams for a minute, I hope this guys career isn't as boring as his name. I don't want another Tyrus fucking Thomas.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:53 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
How are you guys turning drafting a no name backup from FSU into a debate on luol deng?

You're relatively new here still if you're not a mult. Just wait until it turns into an Abraham Lincoln debate.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:54 pm 

Because it's a thread about a no name backup from FSU.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:54 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Back to Williams for a minute, I hope this guys career isn't as boring as his name. I don't want another Tyrus fucking Thomas.

Tim Duncan and Michael Jordan are boring names. Good chance this guy becomes a top 10 player of all time.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:55 pm 

Probably because Favre got hyperbolic in wiping his ass with Mickey Johnson, who he's barely heard of.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:57 pm 

Everyone's heard of Mickey. He helped Rocky beat Adonis.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
FavreFan wrote:
I'm fine disagreeing on Deng but just don't pretend Mickey Johnson was a better basketball player. That's a fucking ridiculous statement.

Again you never saw him. What does “knowing NBA history” mean in this stupid argument? Do you mean you watched tape of him? Read books on him? I seriously doubt you know anything about him other than the name. He was a good scorer, solid rebounder and their best player for a couple of years. And no, he wasn’t a great player. Deng may have been better - he certainly had a better career - but they were comparable and I don’t think you have a clue as to what type of player Johnson was.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:00 pm 

Nardi wrote:

Probably because Favre got hyperbolic in wiping his ass with Mickey Johnson, who he's barely heard of.

Talk all the shit you want about my opinions on players but I've made it clear for over 13 years now that I know alot about NBA history. I'm not one of those dopes who thinks every player now is better than every player 30 years ago, and I've watched as many old games on youtube as I can at this point. To say I've barely heard of Mickey Johnson is simply wrong. If you wanna debate him vs Deng, keep my age out of it and stick to the merits, of which there are basically none to go on.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

You're relatively new here still if you're not a mult. Just wait until it turns into an Abraham Lincoln debate.

Overrated

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

:lol: Adonis?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:04 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I'm fine disagreeing on Deng but just don't pretend Mickey Johnson was a better basketball player. That's a fucking ridiculous statement.

Again you never saw him. What does “knowing NBA history” mean in this stupid argument? Do you mean you watched tape of him? Read books on him? I seriously doubt you know anything about him other than the name. He was a good scorer, solid rebounder and their best player for a couple of years. And no, he wasn’t a great player. Deng may have been better - he certainly had a better career - but they were comparable and I don’t think you have a clue as to what type of player Johnson was.

I've literally seen whole games of him play. I used to watch a shitload of 70's and 80's basketball on Youtube and watched as many old Bulls stuff as I could back in the day. Of course that's not comparable to watching a player every night while they are playing, but get all the way the fuck outta here with this notion that you can't judge a player if you weren't watching them day in and day out at the time and subsequently letting old farts tell you obviously inferior players were better than more contemporary players because of that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:06 pm 

RFDC wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Fuuuuck. Apollo. Should probably see myself out.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:07 pm 

I missed it at the time but that Adonis line is pretty good :lol:

To rock my soul

FavreFan wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Talk all the shit you want about my opinions on players but I've made it clear for over 13 years now that I know alot about NBA history. I'm not one of those dopes who thinks every player now is better than every player 30 years ago, and I've watched as many old games on youtube as I can at this point. To say I've barely heard of Mickey Johnson is simply wrong. If you wanna debate him vs Deng, keep my age out of it and stick to the merits, of which there are basically none to go on.

Ok man, take it easy. I assumed when you said the comp was completely ridiculous, and me knowing he was a pretty good player with the Bulls, and also a fan favorite because he came out of tiny Aurora College, that you made an assumption without thinking about it too much.

veganfan21 wrote:
RFDC wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Fuuuuck. Apollo. Should probably see myself out.

:lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:10 pm 

Nardi wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Ok man, take it easy.

This is, somehow, the most spirited CFMB sports debate in months, and it involves basketball :lol: Fuck no I wont take it easy!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:13 pm 

Where is Walt? Hopefully Covid didn't get him.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:13 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I've literally seen whole games of him play. I used to watch a shitload of 70's and 80's basketball on Youtube and watched as many old Bulls stuff as I could back in the day. Of course that's not comparable to watching a player every night while they are playing, but get all the way the fuck outta here with this notion that you can't judge a player if you weren't watching them day in and day out at the time and subsequently letting old farts tell you obviously inferior players were better than more contemporary players because of that.

I think we’re taken this as far as we can. I do wonder why anyone would watch Bulls basketball from that era though. It was excruciating. I remember the highlight one year was Ricky Sobers free throw streak. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:17 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Where is Walt? Hopefully Covid didn't get him.

He was around tonight

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
FavreFan wrote:
Franky T wrote:
NME wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

‘Character’ and ‘work ethic’ are code for ‘not very good’

Sounds like a white guy from a mid-major!

Also sounds like Kawhi Leonard.

Might want to check with the Clippers about his ‘Character’ and ‘work ethic’ and the special treatment he demanded.

Whatever though, he could turn out to be a good player, but the pick doesn't really move the meters. I've been on record saying I wanted Obi Toppin to at least bring some above the rim excitement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:26 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I do wonder why anyone would watch Bulls basketball from that era though. It was excruciating. I remember the highlight one year was Ricky Sobers free throw streak. :lol:

Probably an age thing again. It's hard to tell you how excited a 18-22 year old FF was to find out there was a website called YouTube where you could just start finding old full length NBA games, even obscure ones. Before that it was constantly checking ESPN classic and setting the TiVo for some of the good ones.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:27 pm 

Franky T wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Franky T wrote:
NME wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Might want to check with the Clippers about his ‘Character’ and ‘work ethic’ and the special treatment he demanded.

Whatever though, he could turn out to be a good player, but the pick doesn't really move the meters. I've been on record saying I wanted Obi Toppin to at least bring some above the rim excitement.

I don't need to check with anyone on Kawhi's work ethic or character. His uncle got to his ego a bit but that's a guy that worked his fucking ass off for everything he achieved.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
FavreFan wrote:
Franky T wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Franky T wrote:
NME wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

I don't need to check with anyone on Kawhi's work ethic or character. His uncle got to his ego a bit but that's a guy that worked his fucking ass off for everything he achieved.

Maybe in his early years. Keeping the team plane waiting for him to arrive, not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:35 pm 

Franky T wrote:
[==
Maybe in his early years. Keeping the team plane waiting for him to arrive, not so much.

I disagree. He literally worked his ass off last year to win the NBA title.

I hated Kawhi forcing out of SA, and then Toronto, but I'm not gonna begrudge him and Jimmy Butler on some of their more diva tendencies lately. That's common among pro athletes and unlike some, those dudes worked their ass off for everything they achieved and the respect they've finally gotten.

If we're lucky Patrick Williams will develop the ego and "lack of character" Kawhi currently has. I'd take that exchange.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:37 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I think we’re taken this as far as we can. I do wonder why anyone would watch Bulls basketball from that era though. It was excruciating. I remember the highlight one year was Ricky Sobers free throw streak. :lol:

They weren't bad. They had Artis and Scott May and played ferocious D. Ed Badger coached with Jerry Sloan as assistant.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:43 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I2ZPOxBn1c

I've lost interest in the Draft at this point. Watching some of this on the big screen now :lol: had to check out Zippy and Nardi's guy. It's been a minute

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:44 pm 

Franky T wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Franky T wrote:
NME wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

I clearly didn’t love the pick. But if I were going to defend it, it would be based on need. I think they are OK at the 4,5 and 2. An argument could be made for Haliburton filling the biggest need - particularly after letting Dunn go - but clearly he wasn’t thought of as highly by NBA GMs as the experts predicted. I liked the Otto Porter trade at the time but he has been a disappointment and Chandler Hutchison is a fringe player. (From what I read) Williams brings much needed defense and athleticism. He’s also young with apparent potential so it could pay off in 2022. If White can play the point (that’s a big if) then the 3 was the right position. They are in desperate need of a star so maybe it was a gamble worth taking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next