It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fixing The Bull
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
The Bulls aren't cheap but there has been a lingering perception that they won't ever go for it if the opportunity presents itself. That's simply fallacious. They haven't lost out on the James's, Wades, Anthony's, Durants, of the world because they refuse to pay. They have lost out because outside of James, the others would rather stay with their own team. The system is rigged so that there won't be much player movement. Why is it really surprising once they decide not to leave?

It's rigged now but people don't forget about the early 2000's when star players repeatedly chose other teams over the Bulls. We feel like the Bulls always finish 2nd. Kinda like the Sox. Aggressive enough to be in the conversation but never good enough to close the deal.

Off the top of my head here are the players in the past 15+ years that said no or the Bulls failed to get in a trade.

McGrady
Grant Hill
Jermaine O'Neal
Kobe
Gasol
Wade
LeBron
Marshmelo
Bosh

This is a classic example of revisionist history. The only person on this list that arguably spurned the Bulls was McGrady. That's it.

Did you read my post before typing?
Against my better judgment I actually did. The only person that the Bulls "failed" to get was McGrady.

I don't consider any of the others a failure on the part of the Bulls. The biggest mistake they made with Gasol was in not drafting him.
i kind of agree with LTG on this. Lumping trades in with "missed" free agents is misleading with regard to the primary argument (free agents avoiding the Bull). The problem is that as fans we focus on the Bulls, but the reality is that recent top tier free agents have chosen from only a handful of teams...thus they have "spurned" 3/4 of the league. Further, they have chosen destinations rather than teams. NYC, Orlando, Miami, L.A. And most recently Cleveland. That isn't the fault of Management. You might as well blame Rahm or Daley.

Trades and drafting are a different story but also a different argument.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
We got Rondo. Landed our free agent superstar finally. I believe the Bull is now fixed. Nas, please lock the thread.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
I have no issue with that number. Not sure how a guy that dominates the ball will work with Butler and I'm not sure how he fits with Hoiberg.

I think the obvious solution is to fire Hoiberg, trade Butler, and give Rondo the keys to the franchise.

@KCJHoop Rondo and Hoiberg watched film for an hour together during Friday visit. Both left feeling Rondo strong fit for offense.

Pretty sure it's more likely the other way around, with Rondo making the determination an anything goes coach would be the perfect complement to his offensive system Rondoball.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:53 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
The Bulls aren't cheap but there has been a lingering perception that they won't ever go for it if the opportunity presents itself. That's simply fallacious. They haven't lost out on the James's, Wades, Anthony's, Durants, of the world because they refuse to pay. They have lost out because outside of James, the others would rather stay with their own team. The system is rigged so that there won't be much player movement. Why is it really surprising once they decide not to leave?

It's rigged now but people don't forget about the early 2000's when star players repeatedly chose other teams over the Bulls. We feel like the Bulls always finish 2nd. Kinda like the Sox. Aggressive enough to be in the conversation but never good enough to close the deal.

Off the top of my head here are the players in the past 15+ years that said no or the Bulls failed to get in a trade.

McGrady
Grant Hill
Jermaine O'Neal
Kobe
Gasol
Wade
LeBron
Marshmelo
Bosh

This is a classic example of revisionist history. The only person on this list that arguably spurned the Bulls was McGrady. That's it.

Against my better judgment I actually did. The only person that the Bulls "failed" to get was McGrady.

I don't consider any of the others a failure on the part of the Bulls. The biggest mistake they made with Gasol was in not drafting him.

Quote:
i kind of agree with LTG on this. Lumping trades in with "missed" free agents is misleading with regard to the primary argument (free agents avoiding the Bull). The problem is that as fans we focus on the Bulls, but the reality is that recent top tier free agents have chosen from only a handful of teams...thus they have "spurned" 3/4 of the league. Further, they have chosen destinations rather than teams. NYC, Orlando, Miami, L.A. And most recently Cleveland. That isn't the fault of Management. You might as well blame Rahm or Daley.

It is a major conflating of the argument to include trades that no one was able to make, players that colluded to sign with other teams, players that chose to resign for more money with their current team etc. That is not necessarily guys "spurning" the Bulls.

To be honest S.A never signed major free agents when they won championships. Dallas didn't sign one either. Neither did G S. Detroit didn't sign a major free agent the yr they won the championship. Miami's first was not due to a free agent signing either. Emphasis on signing of free agents is fallacious. It's only value lie in tricking said team's fan base into thinking their team is doing whatever it takes to win.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:08 pm 

Can someone report the first talking head they hear state that the Bulls are going to "surprise some people this season". I'm sure that comment will be made before the week is out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:22 pm 

So is this the projected Bulls starting lineup?
Rondo
Butler
McDermott
Mirotic
Lopez

I'm having a hard time deciding which end of the floor they'll probably be more incompetent at. I guess it's still defense even though Lopez will probably be a significant improvement on Gasol at that end of the court.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:24 pm 

Read where this move got them to the salary floor. So I guess it is something they had to do.

If Butler did not get along with Rose, I can only imagine the fireworks that this will bring.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:25 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Rondo
Butler
McDermott
Mirotic
Lopez

I'm having a hard time deciding which end of the floor they'll probably be more incompetent at. I guess it's still defense even though Lopez will probably be a significant improvement on Gasol at that end of the court.

Taj somewhere in there?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:25 pm 

Man, it would have been great if Mirotic didn't suck.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:27 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Rondo
Butler
McDermott
Mirotic
Lopez

Rondo and Butler will be the worst shooting backcourt in the league. This is going to get real ugly really fast. Maybe that anti-climactic Taj trade can reap more than the Maxwell Street, hot peppered Polish that it could've reaped a week ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:30 pm 

RFDC wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Rondo
Butler
McDermott
Mirotic
Lopez

Taj somewhere in there?

I figure Fred will try that whole McDermott/Mirotic on the floor at the same time thing again just cause he loves his offensive players far more than anything someone like Taj could bring to the table in the starting lineup. Even though last year the two of them being on the court together were such a defensive liability that such an experiemnt probably should never be repeated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:31 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
RFDC wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Rondo
Butler
McDermott
Mirotic
Lopez

Taj somewhere in there?

I figure Fred will try that whole McDermott/Mirotic on the floor at the same time thing again just cause he loves his offensive players. Even though last year the two of them being on the court together were such a defensive liability that such an experiemnt probably should never be repeated.

Not to mention that neither of those guys is a very effective offensive player either.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:33 pm 

RFDC wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Rondo
Butler
McDermott
Mirotic
Lopez

Taj somewhere in there?

I hope not.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:36 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Read where this move got them to the salary floor. So I guess it is something they had to do.

If Butler did not get along with Rose, I can only imagine the fireworks that this will bring.

It really isn't anything they had to do though since there's really no penalty for not hitting the floor; the remaining money needed to hit it would just get split among the roster. And even if they were desperate to hit the floor, I'd have preferred it to be on another young player rather than a vet who's going to do whatever he wants and suck up a lot of the minutes that could've gone for Grant and Valentine. This season's going to be a waste of time anyway because the front office's REAL goal is apparently 2017 or maybe 2018. Just definitely not this one or people might actually tie their evaluations of GarPax to the crap product they're putting out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:38 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
RFDC wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Rondo
Butler
McDermott
Mirotic
Lopez

Taj somewhere in there?

I figure Fred will try that whole McDermott/Mirotic on the floor at the same time thing again just cause he loves his offensive players. Even though last year the two of them being on the court together were such a defensive liability that such an experiemnt probably should never be repeated.

Not to mention that neither of those guys is a very effective offensive player either.

Yeah but there were 2 or 3 games where they both hit a bunch of 3s! If you just ignore the rest of last season, I think it's quite clear that they have a bunch of potential and will probably turn the corner this year, especially with a super unselfish player like Rondo running the offense!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:40 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
RFDC wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Rondo
Butler
McDermott
Mirotic
Lopez

Taj somewhere in there?

Yeah but there were 2 or 3 games where they both hit a bunch of 3s! If you just ignore the rest of last season, I think it's quite clear that they have a bunch of potential and will probably turn the corner this year, especially with a super unselfish player like Rondo running the offense!

Rondo is so unselfish he would regularly pass up an open lay up to pass the ball 15 feet behind himself to a trailing teammate. Gotta love that commitment to teamwork.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Rondo
Butler
McDermott
Mirotic
Lopez

Taj somewhere in there?

I think Taj Gibson, assuming he isn't traded, is starting for either Mirotic or McDermott, depending on who the 4 between McDermott and Mirotic.

Wasn't there talk also about Butler moving to the SF spot as opposed to SG?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:04 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Pairing Rondo, who dominates the ball, with Butler who also wants to dominate the ball on offense sure doesn't seem to add up. And will the team run or settle into half-court sets?

Of course there's the reported attitude issues that come along with Rajon, but in fairness to him, he is 30 now so there is the possibility he's matured. And I'm sure spending a year in Sacramento makes one appreciate their basketball world just a little bit more.

On the positive side of things, if he's committed, he can still play decent defense and can get his teammates his open shots which should benefit Mirotic and McDermott. And I know it's hip to rip on McDermott, but the guy became halfway decent out there in the 2nd half of last season.

And then there's his contract. It's not albatross and there's an option on the 2nd year so even if this thing blows up in everyone's face it'll only be on the short term.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:49 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:

McGrady
Grant Hill
Jermaine O'Neal
Kobe
Gasol
Wade
LeBron
Marshmelo
Bosh

I think if we are talking about the failures of management we have to include everything. When it came to signings most of the guys said that the Bulls were their 2nd choice. As I mentioned earlier including Deng and Tyrus Thomas prevented the Bulls from getting HoF players.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:53 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
long time guy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Rondo
Butler
McDermott
Mirotic
Lopez

Taj somewhere in there?

I hope not.

They're definitely trading him. He may be more valuable now then he was last year.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:33 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
Pairing Rondo, who dominates the ball, with Butler who also wants to dominate the ball on offense sure doesn't seem to add up. And will the team run or settle into half-court sets?

Of course there's the reported attitude issues that come along with Rajon, but in fairness to him, he is 30 now so there is the possibility he's matured. And I'm sure spending a year in Sacramento makes one appreciate their basketball world just a little bit more.

On the positive side of things, if he's committed, he can still play decent defense and can get his teammates his open shots which should benefit Mirotic and McDermott. And I know it's hip to rip on McDermott, but the guy became halfway decent out there in the 2nd half of last season.

And then there's his contract. It's not albatross and there's an option on the 2nd year so even if this thing blows up in everyone's face it'll only be on the short term.

For people that care about P.R. it's a bad move. As far as basketball goes it neither helps nor hurts much. The Bulls can cut bait after a year. At least he now has a starting caliber point guard. Calderon and Grant are at best backups.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
If they actually sign Wade now, then they have to go up and get Jereme Richmond out of whatever halfway house or Speedway counter he's stuck behind. Too bad Q isn't still alive, they could have gotten him out of retirement for a victory lap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Yeah what the hell, bring in Wade for a year + an option

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:33 pm 

I better not see any spin from Bernstein or anyone else that it's pointless to criticize GarPax because of Durant going to Golden State. It was bad enough already hearing that preemptive apology for anything they do just because Lebron plays in the East.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:41 pm 

ESPN's Brian Windhorst: "Wade continues to hold talks with the Denver Nuggets and Chicago Bulls. Dwyane Wade is seeking a two-year, $50 million deal from the Miami Heat."

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
$20M for Wade is plenty, if not more than he deserves.

No way you meet his asking price if you're the Bulls.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:17 am 

Alex KennedyVerified account
‏@AlexKennedyNBA
Jimmy Butler and Rajon Rondo have been recruiting Dwyane Wade to Chicago, according to sources close to situation.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:19 am 

A Rondo/Wade/Butler/Lopez/whoever starting lineup would have some of the worst spacing in the entire league. I was already done with the excuses for Hoiberg a while ago but if he's signing off on this I don't want to hear any sympathy whatsoever about his poor misunderstood system and the players who are a bad fit for it this season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:00 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
A Rondo/Wade/Butler/Lopez/whoever starting lineup would have some of the worst spacing in the entire league. I was already done with the excuses for Hoiberg a while ago but if he's signing off on this I don't want to hear any sympathy whatsoever about his poor misunderstood system and the players who are a bad fit for it this season.

I don't care about fits for the system as much as I care about not seeing another year of Dunleavy starting at the 3. I'd be in favor of seeing the collective dead corpses of Drazen Petrovic and Reggie Lewis if it means keeping his bum ass off the floor.

It's obvious that GarPax are trying to justify the firing of Thibs. If you are going to keep that malcontent Butler, then you might as well surround him with a few guys that know how to play.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:05 pm 

long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I don't care about fits for the system as much as I care about not seeing another year of Dunleavy starting at the 3. I'd be in favor of seeing the collective dead corpses of Drazen Petrovic and Reggie Lewis if it means keeping his bum ass off the floor.

It's obvious that GarPax are trying to justify the firing of Thibs. If you are going to keep that malcontent Butler, then you might as well surround him with a few guys that know how to play.

Fine, I just don't want to hear next off-season that what Fred really needs are guys willing to move off the ball that can sink the 3 at a high rate or that we can't yet evaluate the revolutionary system known as Hoiball and it would be unfair to hold him accountable at all. According to the press he was as enthusiastic about the Rondo signing as anyone, and if anyone thought Butler was a "malcontent" who refused to listen to the coach, they better brace themselves for Rondoball.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next