It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fixing The Bull
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
of course it's been a disappointing year. i'm well aware of that. like vegan though, i'm willing to extend my goodwill for another year. if they have a similar record or fail to make the playoffs again it will be a different story

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:35 pm 

Bagels wrote:
of course it's been a disappointing year. i'm well aware of that. like vegan though, i'm willing to extend my goodwill for another year. if they have a similar record or fail to make the playoffs again it will be a different story

That is fair enough. This has been the only clunker of his career thus far. His last season with the Bulls was disappointing. I think he has been vastly overrated but you have to give him another year. The fact that he is also GM means that it's all on him.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:36 pm 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I'm not defending Hoiberg. I've been consistent in my dislike for him. But us pro-Thibs guys inarguably did not have a good year for our cause.

You didn't. I nailed it. Same with Hoiberg too.

Nah you missed that one. You think he will turn it around next year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I'm not defending Hoiberg. I've been consistent in my dislike for him. But us pro-Thibs guys inarguably did not have a good year for our cause.

Huh?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Nas banged Hoiberg?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Nah you missed that one. You think he will turn it around next year.

Next season hasn't happened yet.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Vincent Goodwill ✔@vgoodwill

Sources: Dwyane Wade plans to return from right elbow injury Saturday vs Brooklyn Nets.
Story to come on @CSNChicago

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:20 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:

Sources: Dwyane Wade plans to return from right elbow injury Saturday vs Brooklyn Nets.

Just in time to sabotage playoff chances. Nice!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:17 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

They blew a 9 point lead to the Nets.

Never been more infuriated with a team a root for than this year's Bull.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Matches Malone wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Are you still inclined to give Hoiberg credit for making the playoffs, if he does, given your feelings on how inconsistent the team has been throughout the whole season? I mean they just lost to the worst team in the league during the climax of a playoff race.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Fred has to go

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:29 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Are you still inclined to give Hoiberg credit for making the playoffs, if he does, given your feelings on how inconsistent the team has been throughout the whole season? I mean they just lost to the worst team in the league during the climax of a playoff race.

Well if the roster sucks, and the coaching sucks and the conference sucks, who gets the credit?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:39 pm 

Guys have said the Bulls are where everyone expected they'd be but that to me sounds like an endorsement of mediocrity. You want to see teams and coaches exceed expectations. Thibs did that every single year except his last year. We got used to that around here until Hoiberg destroyed that culture. Plus there's no way you can tell me the Bulls, by losing games to the Nets and other garbage teams, are still performing as everyone expected. You'd expect to beat those teams.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:43 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Guys have said the Bulls are where everyone expected they'd be but that to me sounds like an endorsement of mediocrity. You want to see teams and coaches exceed expectations. Thibs did that every single year except his last year. We got used to that around here until Hoiberg destroyed that culture. Plus there's no way you can tell me the Bulls, by losing games to the Nets and other garbage teams, are still performing as everyone expected. You'd expect to beat those teams.

Yeah but you'd never expect them to beat the upper echelon teams which they have. And you have to admit, there's not much on this roster for Hoiberg to work with.

As for Thibs, his coaching culture wasn't sustainable. You would have had a player revolt on your hands had he been brought back. You can only be an effective "Taskmaster" (shoutout to Kevin Sullivan) for so long. That act wears thin pretty quickly. Especially with adults.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:46 pm 

If Fred never benches Rondo for no fucking reason this is a 45-46 win team. Fred's gotta go.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:54 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Yeah but you'd never expect them to beat the upper echelon teams which they have. And you have to admit, there's not much on this roster for Hoiberg to work with.

As for Thibs, his coaching culture wasn't sustainable. You would have had a player revolt on your hands had he been brought back. You can only be an effective "Taskmaster" (shoutout to Kevin Sullivan) for so long. That act wears thin pretty quickly. Especially with adults.

Well Thibs' style worked just fine here for five years. Second most successful tenure in recent memory after PJ - I'll take that.

Yes the Bulls have won games against good teams but that's meaningless if you can't win games against the bottom tier teams. There's enough talent and experience on the roster for them to not look clueless on the court, and for them to win anywhere from 43-47 games like FF said, especially in a crappy conference, if they had their act together.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:59 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Well Thibs' style worked just fine here for five years. Second most successful tenure in recent memory after PJ - I'll take that.

Yes the Bulls have won games against good teams but that's meaningless if you can't win games against the bottom tier teams. There's enough talent and experience on the roster for them to not look clueless on the court, and for them to win anywhere from 43-47 games like FF said, especially in a crappy conference, if they had their act together.

I'm not beating the drums for Hoiberg. There's no doubt he's in over his head. However, he hasn't exactly been dealt the best hand here roster wise.

From top to bottom, this organization needs to be turned over. I'd let Paxson consult on drafts but I can't have him hiring the next coach.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:06 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I'm not beating the drums for Hoiberg. There's no doubt he's in over his head. However, he hasn't exactly been dealt the best hand here roster wise.

From top to bottom, this organization needs to be turned over. I'd let Paxson consult on drafts but I can't have him hiring the next coach.

Agree on everything except the roster. It's not a championship roster, it's not even a third round playoff roster. However, relative to the talent and experience (Butler, Wade, and Rondo are all playoff veterans) on the roster, and relative to the level of competition, the results to me indicate Hoiberg has underachieved. And that's just the on the court stuff. The off the court stuff was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. If you're gonna suck, fine, but at least get your guys to play hard and win some games you shouldn't win based on effort and execution alone. It's a whole different thing when you suck on the court and off it as well.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:08 pm 

Even if you think Hoiberg is a fantastic coach, the players on the team don't. That's all I really need to know. Thibs has been my guy for a decade now, but that's why he had to go too. The team gave up on him. Once that happens, it's the point of no return. Need a fresh start somewhere else at that point.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
veganfan21 wrote:

The other problem with this defense of Hoiberg is that the party making this argument can never point to anything productive or positive Hoiberg does as a coach. All it amounts to is the assertion that he simply must be doing something right just because the Bulls aren't the worst team in the league. Hoiberg's critics can point to tangible shortcomings in his coaching, be it the throwing crap against the wall approach to rotations, terrible offensive plays off of timeouts, lying about conversations he hasn't actually had with players, or clearly lacking any kind of respect in the locker room. All his defenders can point to is the idea that he's met expectations this season, a standard that is laughably low since Hoiberg's own incompetence from last season was precisely one of the reasons the expectations were where they were at for this season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:36 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Even if you think Hoiberg is a fantastic coach, the players on the team don't. That's all I really need to know. Thibs has been my guy for a decade now, but that's why he had to go too. The team gave up on him. Once that happens, it's the point of no return. Need a fresh start somewhere else at that point.

The decision on whether to whack Hoiberg shouldn't be based upon what the players think either. That includes Butler. The playes also wanted Thibs gone and later back pedaled as if they didn't. They don't get a second chance at determining who the coach will be.

Hoiberg has struggled at getting the Bulls over the hump. They never can sustain any momentum. Losing to inferior teams has been a staple of what has happened in his time here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:38 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

If he is hired instead of Kerr GS doesn't win a title ...next

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:41 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

The decision on whether to whack Hoiberg shouldn't be based upon what the players think either. That includes Butler. The playes also wanted Thibs gone and later back pedaled as if they didn't. They don't get a second chance at determining who the coach will be.

I'm basing that decision on the players actions, not thoughts.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:47 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

The other problem with this defense of Hoiberg is that the party making this argument can never point to anything productive or positive Hoiberg does as a coach. All it amounts to is the assertion that he simply must be doing something right just because the Bulls aren't the worst team in the league. Hoiberg's critics can point to tangible shortcomings in his coaching, be it the throwing crap against the wall approach to rotations, terrible offensive plays off of timeouts, lying about conversations he hasn't actually had with players, or clearly lacking any kind of respect in the locker room. All his defenders can point to is the idea that he's met expectations this season, a standard that is laughably low since Hoiberg's own incompetence from last season was precisely one of the reasons the expectations were where they were at for this season.

If low expectations are a product of Hoiberg''s coaching then the high expectations (and failure to meet them) are a product of Thibs bad coaching.

The expectations for this team were low primarily because of the construction of the roster. When you look at the posts regarding the Bulls from the summer all you heard about was the "worst 3 point shooting team" in the league.

One guy here even said that Rondo is nothing more than a role playing bench guy in today's NBA. No one liked the moves made by GarPax as I recall. When the Bulls win the narrative becomes so what who cares because they still are nothing more than a 7th or 8th seed.

When they lose its Hoiberg is a terrible coach worst in the league. He probably isn't the guy for the job but this isn't really that talented of a team

There isn't one young player that anyone likes and veterans like Wade are past their prime.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

If low expectations are a product of Hoiberg''s coaching then the high expectations (and failure to meet them) are a product of Thibs bad coaching.
No the high expectations on Thibs were a product of previous success. The only time Hoiberg had high expectations was last season, as he was a blank slate as an NBA coach and we were all repeatedly assured that the Bulls roster was at the level where it should have beaten the Cavs in the playoffs (and "The Mayor's" offensive genius was precisely the thing to take the team over the hump). Given that Hoiberg did not even make the playoffs with that roster, it's perfectly reasonable that his coaching aptitude would be rated considerably lower going into this one.

Quote:
The expectations for this team were low primarily because of the construction of the roster. When you look at the posts regarding the Bulls from the summer all you heard about was the "worst 3 point shooting team" in the league.
But it was not a concern for Fred, who eagerly endorsed this roster construction. The mere fact that most people thought this was a recipe for mediocrity doesn't let him off the hook.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:09 pm 

long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

One guy here even said that Rondo is nothing more than a role playing bench guy in today's NBA. No one liked the moves made by GarPax as I recall. When the Bulls win the narrative becomes so what who cares because they still are nothing more than a 7th or 8th seed.

When they lose its Hoiberg is a terrible coach worst in the league. He probably isn't the guy for the job but this isn't really that talented of a team

There isn't one young player that anyone likes and veterans like Wade are past their prime.

Listen hear you little spinmister son of a bitch...who here said Rondo was worse than any of the point guards the Bulls have???? Fred benched him then realized the only chance to salvage what he fucked up was insert him in the roster.... not a starter but with the 2nd unit,,,,,then a starter.Just go away you fucking idiot

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:19 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Listen hear you little spinmister son of a bitch...who here said Rondo was worse than any of the point guards the Bulls have???? Fred benched him then realized the only chance to salvage what he fucked up was insert him in the roster.... not a starter but with the 2nd unit,,,,,then a starter.Just go away you fucking idiot

No you go away you stupid motherfucker. I don't recall your not so keen observations regarding Rondo''s benching or signing by the way. All you ever do is pop in and criticize everyone's thoughts. You never have anything positive to say about anything or anyone and anytime you want to keep score on whose right or wrong between me and you feel free.

It's not even comparable and as far as Rondo''s benching it was a mistake but there were about 3 things at work with it you rambling dumbass.

1. Rondo had recently disrespected the assistant coach.

2. He wasn't playing all that well.

3. Wade and Butler were the guys that were running the offense effectively icing him out.

Not once have I ever heard your hypocritical condescending ass advocate for him to be signed or to start yet you come on now with this know it all told you so bullshit like you always do. Get the fuck out of here asshole.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:24 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

No you go away you stupid motherfucker. I don't recall your not so keen observations regarding Rondo''s benching or signing by the way. All you ever do is pop in and criticize everyone's thoughts. You never have anything positive to say about anything or anyone and anytime you want to keep score on whose right or wrong between me and you feel free.

It's not even comparable and as far as Rondo''s benching it was a mistake but there were about 3 things at work with it you rambling dumbass.

3. Wade and Butler were the guys that were running the offense effectively icing him out.

Not once have I ever heard your hypocritical condescending ass advocate for him to be signed or to start yet you come on now with this know it all told you so bullshit like you always do. Get the fuck out of here asshole.

Just criticize dumb shits like YOU :D :D

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:29 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

No the high expectations on Thibs were a product of previous success. The only time Hoiberg had high expectations was last season, as he was a blank slate as an NBA coach and we were all repeatedly assured that the Bulls roster was at the level where it should have beaten the Cavs in the playoffs (and "The Mayor's" offensive genius was precisely the thing to take the team over the hump). Given that Hoiberg did not even make the playoffs with that roster, it's perfectly reasonable that his coaching aptitude would be rated considerably lower going into this one.

Quote:
But it was not a concern for Fred, who eagerly endorsed this roster construction. The mere fact that most people thought this was a recipe for mediocrity doesn't let him off the hook.

I think injuries played a role last season but I don't think he would have exceeded the 50 win Thib total even without it. There is something troubling about the way his teams come out flat against weaker opponents. It has been a problem for 2 years now.

What else was he to say regarding roster construction though? Of course he had to publicly endorse the moves. The Bulls should have been a 45 win team minimum this season. His herky jerk style with the way he employs his players is also troubling.

I think GarPax forced some of that on him but I also think that is part of his makeup too. Game to Game there haven't been any set rotations. He also has played guys that haven't demonstrated whether they are even good players significant amounts of minutes. Canaan Payne Grant Zipser come immediately to mind.

I wanted to give him 2 years and those years are up now. He probably should be whacked but I don't think Reinsdorf will eat 3 yrs of that salary.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:31 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Just criticize dumb shits like YOU :D :D

And you sound like a damn idiot each and every time you do it with your dumbass.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next