It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Bogut being injured and Draymond being suspended were bigger variables in the Warriors losing that series than Steph getting outplayed by Kyrie.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:34 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
long time guy wrote:
He is playing better than last season but he still isn't really good. I'm hoping they allow him to walk at the end of the season too. His "better" is relative to Mirotic not Noah Gasol or Boozer.

Kyrie Irving dominated Curry in an NBA final series and I love the spin job currently going on right now. He changed the entire way that Curry is perceived. There isn't any Curry buzz this year and it is due to being destroyed in the Finals last season

So you confirm the small sample size bias. Does the fact that Curry strained his MCL earlier in the playoffs factor in or is that just a Curry weakness?

His pride was hurt more than anything. He also thoroughly outplayed him on Christmas Day too. At some point we got to call it on that one. Playoff basketball exposed Curry in general. He didn't play particularly well during the previous playoffs year before either.

Last edited by long time guy on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:36 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Bogut being injured and Draymond being suspended were bigger variables in the Warriors losing that series than Steph getting outplayed by Kyrie.

Classic revisionism.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
I can't be OK with Chris Sale being traded and not OK with a potential Jimmy Butler trade. But it won't happen regardless.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Nas wrote:
Pretty sure Deng was a cash trade with Phoenix.

Bulls traded a future 1st.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/draft_release_040624.html

(It was Nate Robinson)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
IMU wrote:

Well...Chandler and Curry sucking led to Williams Hinrich and Gordon. Deng was a result of a future 1st round pick.

Maybe Gordon and Deng but Williams (2002) and Hinrich (2003) were right after Curry/Chandler (2001) and Crawford (2000) so a year or so for two high schoolers to develop isn't enough, and maybe another lottery pick was expected at the time.

FavreFan wrote:
You're trying to have it both ways vegan. You can't say the current Bulls are irrelevant but then also claim that the Kirk/Gordon/Deng Bulls returned the franchise to relevance.

I don't think I understand where you say I'm having it both ways. My point to you and IMU is that by sucking between 1999-2001 the Bulls built a core around four lottery picks by 2002 (Curry, Chandler, Crawford, and Williams). Of course that group didn't pan out for various reasons, but the question is this: would you keep Butler, or would you trade him for another chance to build a core comprised of 1-3 lottery picks? I'm of the latter opinion.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 am 

I'd keep Butler. What are the chances any of 3 first rounders becomes a Top 10 player?

You have a Top 10 player now...why ax him because the front office sucks? Pax and Gar would just screw up the picks anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:14 am 

IMU wrote:
I'd keep Butler. What are the chances any of 3 first rounders becomes a Top 10 player?

You have a Top 10 player now...why ax him because the front office sucks? Pax and Gar would just screw up the picks anyway.

Depends on the draft. Last years draft had two to three guys that were top 10 guys. Butler isn't a top ten guy either. If he was the market for him would be much greater than it is. The rumored deals last summer weren't all that enticing for a guy you consider top ten.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

Depends on the draft. Last years draft had two to three guys that were top 10 guys. Butler isn't a top ten guy either. If he was the market for him would be much greater than it is. The rumored deals last summer weren't all that enticing for a guy you consider top ten.

Butler is a Top 10 guy

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

Butler is a Top 10 guy

Guys currently better:

1. Lebron James

2. James Harden

3. Kevin Durant

4. Russell Westbrook

5. Anthony Davis

6. Kyrie Irving

7. Steph Curry

8. Demarcus Cousins

9. Chris Paul

10. Giannis (Greek Freak)

11. Kawhi Leonard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:51 pm 
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

Butler is a Top 10 guy

Incorrect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:51 pm 

No one agrees with your list. Stop posting it.

The fact that you have Demarcus Cousins on there completely negates it. What a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:55 pm 

IMU wrote:

I don't think he's a guy who can lead a supporting cast to the promised land. As such, yeah I'd def trade him for picks and/or current or former lottery picks. The front office does suck indeed, I agree. But, who knows, maybe they strike gold by virtue of dumb luck like they did in 2008. I'd rather have the promise of lottery picks and a young core over Jimmy Butler and the members of the 2007 All NBA team.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:56 pm 

IMU wrote:

The fact that you have Demarcus Cousins on there completely negates it. What a joke.

There isn't an NBA guy on the planet that believes Jimmy Butler is a better basketball player than Demarcus Cousins. Not one.

Speak for yourself. Don't presume to know what the board's consensus happens to be.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

There isn't an NBA guy on the planet that believes Jimmy Butler is a better basketball player than Demarcus Cousins. Not one.

Speak for yourself. Don't presume to know what the board's consensus happens to be.

I do not intend to wade into this very fine debate. I just wanted to point out that you are presuming to know what the NBA guy consensus is. And you are chiding IMU for presuming about the board consensus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:04 pm 

denisdman wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

I do not intend to wade into this very fine debate. I just wanted to point out that you are presuming to know what the NBA guy consensus is. And you are chiding IMU for presuming about the board consensus.

Cousins has been presumed to be a top 10 player for at least 2 years now. He is also considered by MANY to be the best center in the league currently. Butler is possibly the 6th or 7th best at his position. I left a couple of guys off that are arguably better for the purpose of not arguing.

The guys I placed are no doubt better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I have no opinion on the matter. I don't watch enough NBA to have an informed thought. I was merely pointing out that you were doing the same thing you requested that IMU not do.

I like when you two tangle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:18 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Butler is possibly the 6th or 7th best at his position.

That's some bullshit and you know it, and I'm not a guy who thinks Butler is franchise.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:20 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

That's some bullshit and you know it, and I'm not a guy who thinks Butler is franchise.

1. LeBron James

2. Kevin Durant

3. Kawhi

4. Giannis

5 Paul George?

6. DeMar Derozan?

Those stats that people keep citing for Butler also don't materialize either. Im not an advanced Stat guy but his advanced stats aren't blowing everyone else out of the water.

We also have to see how the rest of the season plays out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:34 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

1. LeBron James

2. Kevin Durant

3. Kawhi

4. Giannis

5 Paul George?

6. DeMar Derozan?

Those stats that people keep citing for Butler also don't materialize either. Im not an advanced Stat guy but his advanced stats aren't blowing everyone else out of the water.

DeRozan plays G and Butler's D puts him above DeRozan anyway, even if Butler is schooled by the likes of Durant and LBJ (isn't everyone?). Giannis is technically a PG but I'd take him over Butler based on age and potential. Butler is more of a finished product IMO.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Enes Kanter's advanced stats are better than Steph Curry's.

Enes Kanter is leading Steph Curry in PER, which a guy who took less than 200 of his ~700 shots last season from outside the paint is going to do compared with a guy who takes a thousand of his 1400 shots from outside the paint.

Here are a list of "advanced stats" (yes, there are more than one) in which Stephen Curry holds a sizable lead over Enes Kanter:

WS
OWS
DWS
WS/48
VORP
OBPM
DBPM

Yes, looking at one rate-based stat (as PER is) and calling that "advanced stats" may lead to some quirky results. Imagine that! You'd think basketball people would have seen that curmudgeony old baseball ding dongs get laughed at and embarrassed for their anti-stats approach, and embrace advanced stats much more quickly than their baseball equivalents did.

The PER Stat is one of the more important of the Stat based metric systems. They all have serious flaws in them. That is why simply basing all evaluations on advanced stats are problematic.

Any rating system which suggest that Javale McGee is a better player than Paul George is a bad metric system.

Munenori Kawasaki had a .462 OBP in 2016. Yet nobody is saying that Munenori Kawasaki is better than Mike Trout, how could that be? Because any analysis of their differing OBP's which concludes "Kawasaki > Trout" must be inherently flawed, and nothing of consequence is gleaned about the "real value" of OBP as a metric. Kanter is better in PER than Steph Curry, but the statement "Kanter > Curry" can only come from an inherently flawed analysis literally no one is making.

Also, you said "one of the more..." when referencing PER, so you seem to realize both that there are other advanced stats and that a valuation of player performance should incorporate at least two of them, yet you insist on being difficult and disingenuous. Why?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:52 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

1. LeBron James

2. Kevin Durant

3. Kawhi

4. Giannis

5 Paul George?

6. DeMar Derozan?

DeRozan plays G and Butler's D puts him above DeRozan anyway, even if Butler is schooled by the likes of Durant and LBJ (isn't everyone?). Giannis is technically a PG but I'd take him over Butler based on age and potential. Butler is more of a finished product IMO.

I really would like to open it up and just include all swingmen guys. Giannis is a 3 based upon who he guards. He doesn't guard 1's. Butler runs a lot of point too Ugh! particularly in the 2nd halves of games.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:53 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Enes Kanter is leading Steph Curry in PER, which a guy who took less than 200 of his ~700 shots last season from outside the paint is going to do compared with a guy who takes a thousand of his 1400 shots from outside the paint.

Here are a list of "advanced stats" (yes, there are more than one) in which Stephen Curry holds a sizable lead over Enes Kanter:

WS
OWS
DWS
WS/48
VORP
OBPM
DBPM

Yes, looking at one rate-based stat (as PER is) and calling that "advanced stats" may lead to some quirky results. Imagine that! You'd think basketball people would have seen that curmudgeony old baseball ding dongs get laughed at and embarrassed for their anti-stats approach, and embrace advanced stats much more quickly than their baseball equivalents did.

The PER Stat is one of the more important of the Stat based metric systems. They all have serious flaws in them. That is why simply basing all evaluations on advanced stats are problematic.

Any rating system which suggest that Javale McGee is a better player than Paul George is a bad metric system.

Munenori Kawasaki had a .462 OBP in 2016. Yet nobody is saying that Munenori Kawasaki is better than Mike Trout, how could that be? Because any analysis of their differing OBP's which concludes "Kawasaki > Trout" must be inherently flawed, and nothing of consequence is gleaned about the "real value" of OBP as a metric. Kanter is better in PER than Steph Curry, but the statement "Kanter > Curry" can only come from an inherently flawed analysis literally no one is making.

Also, you said "one of the more..." when referencing PER, so you seem to realize both that there are other advanced stats and that a valuation of player performance should incorporate at least two of them, yet you insist on being difficult and disingenuous. Why?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

WS
OWS
DWS
WS/48
VORP
OBPM
DBPM

Because of the stats based nature of most discussions. If look at they guys that comprise the top 20 in the offensive rating there isn't one that you'd run a play for. I love Patrick but the next time any Houston coach calls his number hold a parade.

There are far too many anomalies found in advanced stats. I give Butler a tremendous amount of credit for his D but he isn't even in the top 20 in terms of defensive rating. Pau Gasol is though. If a person didn't know any better they'd assume that Gobert was one of the best in the league.

That's A problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:31 pm 

long time guy wrote:
If look at they guys that comprise the top 20 in the offensive rating there isn't one that you'd run a play for. I love Patrick but the next time any Houston coach calls his number hold a parade.

Are you setting a minutes or starts requirement? Because otherwise you're going to run into the problem of thinking Munenori Kawasaki is actually better at getting on base than Mike Trout. With a minimum of 20 minutes per game, here are some guys in the top-20 of ORtg:

Chris Paul
Rudy Gobert
Kyle Lowry
Kevin Durant
Jimmy Butler
Kawhi Leonard
Jonas Valenciunas
Stephen Curry
James Harden
Giannis

Run a play for any of them?

Quote:
There are far too many anomalies found in advanced stats. I give Butler a tremendous amount of credit for his D but he isn't even in the top 20 in terms of defensive rating. Pau Gasol is though.

DRtg is going to favor big men, always has. Thabo is the only true guard in the top-10 of Defensive Rating with a minimum of 20 MP/G, and after him you have to go to 15 to find the next true guard, and wer'e already at 101 points per 100 possessions. Jimmy is, however in the top-25 in Defensive Win Shares, where he's tied with Pau, Steven Adams, Chris Paul and others.

Quote:
If a person didn't know any better they'd assume that Gobert was one of the best in the league.

That's A problem.

Are you saying that if a person only looked at a few rate-based metrics without accounting for minutes or games played, they'd come to an erroneous conclusion? Yeah, so?

And dude, Gobert is having a tremendous season, he's almost 10 whole blocks ahead of the 2 guys behind him (Anthony Davis and Myles Turner, btw), who themselves are almost 20 blocks ahead of the rest of the league. He's averaging almost 3 blocks per 36 minutes, and more than 4 blocks per 100 possessions, all while being incredibly efficient (leads the league in True Shooting %) and averaging a double-double (4th in the league in total offensive rebounds, as well). By nearly any measure you can think of, he's having a tremendous season. In this case, the numbers match the eye test.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:38 pm 

long time guy wrote:
If look at they guys that comprise the top 20 in the offensive rating there isn't one that you'd run a play for. I love Patrick but the next time any Houston coach calls his number hold a parade.

Are you setting a minutes or starts requirement? Because otherwise you're going to run into the problem of thinking Munenori Kawasaki is actually better at getting on base than Mike Trout. With a minimum of 20 minutes per game, here are some guys in the top-20 of ORtg:

Chris Paul
Rudy Gobert
Kyle Lowry
Kevin Durant
Jimmy Butler
Kawhi Leonard
Jonas Valenciunas
Stephen Curry
James Harden
Giannis

Run a play for any of them?

Quote:
There are far too many anomalies found in advanced stats. I give Butler a tremendous amount of credit for his D but he isn't even in the top 20 in terms of defensive rating. Pau Gasol is though.

DRtg is going to favor big men, always has. Thabo is the only true guard in the top-10 of Defensive Rating with a minimum of 20 MP/G, and after him you have to go to 15 to find the next true guard, and wer'e already at 101 points per 100 possessions. Jimmy is, however in the top-25 in Defensive Win Shares, where he's tied with Pau, Steven Adams, Chris Paul and others.

Quote:
If a person didn't know any better they'd assume that Gobert was one of the best in the league.

That's A problem.

Are you saying that if a person only looked at a few rate-based metrics without accounting for minutes or games played, they'd come to an erroneous conclusion? Yeah, so?

And dude, Gobert is having a tremendous season, he's almost 10 whole blocks ahead of the 2 guys behind him (Anthony Davis and Myles Turner, btw), who themselves are almost 20 blocks ahead of the rest of the league. He's averaging almost 3 blocks per 36 minutes, and more than 4 blocks per 100 possessions, all while being incredibly efficient (leads the league in True Shooting %) and averaging a double-double (4th in the league in total offensive rebounds, as well). By nearly any measure you can think of, he's having a tremendous season. In this case, the numbers match the eye test.

No one runs plays for Gobert. If the metric favors guys that simply dunk then there's a problem with the metric. I see you left off a lot of guys from the top 20 also.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:31 pm 

long time guy wrote:
No one runs plays for Gobert. If the metric favors guys that simply dunk then there's a problem with the metric.

Except dunking is the highest-percentage "shot" in basketball, shouldn't a metric reward players that can do it well?

Quote:
I see you left off a lot of guys from the top 20 also.

You said:

Quote:
If look at they guys that comprise the top 20 in the offensive rating there isn't one that you'd run a play for.

I listed 10 marquee names in the top-20 with proper minutes requirements. If you up the minutes requirement to 25+, the names on that list will be better and better. Tell me, when shifting goalposts doesn't work, what do you have left?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:49 pm 

long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... yers-2016/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2680 ... ow/page/19

And the NBA addicts over at r/nba/ seem to agree more than not that Butler is a Top 10 player in 2016-17.

As soon as publications and writers release mid-season player power rankings, I assume you'll see Butler over Cousins (and many others) essentially universally.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:54 pm 

Cousins, as a center, this season is shooting .449 If we're going to talk about bad shooting and scoring solely based on "shot attempts," why do you rip on Butler but not Cousins (or Carmelo?)

Furthermore...if we're talking about isoball...Butler has more assists than Cousins has. Last season, Cousins was #1 overall in Usage Pct and this year is #2 overall.

Cousins is isoball.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next